PDA

View Full Version : You can't make this stuff up

mike cunningham
04-16-2016, 12:44 PM
Heading to the cruise in, overnighted at china camp

Had a cold one and noticed a lot of water in the bilge which is normally bone dry. Oh no, the flaky shaft seal decided to give it up?

Nope, a pressure fresh water line in the engine area spung a leak. Cut it off and sealed it with emergency plugs (thanks rules) and got a couple gallons of remaining bilge water soppped up and into sink. Reach down to reposition sealed water line and sink drain hose breaks off sink and three gallons of bilge water right back into the bilge.

Yea baby, i am ready for the SHTP!!

Philpott
04-16-2016, 09:08 PM
Yea baby, i am ready for the SHTP!!

And yet you arrived kool as a kukumber and fresh as a daisy. My my. How looks can deceive. The night is young. What will happen tonight as you sleep, surrounded by fellow solo sailors? We await the tale.

Gamayun
04-16-2016, 11:00 PM
Well, Mike, it's certainly good to that you find out these things now! I have a note to self to make sure I turn the power on to the bilge pump for when I splash on Monday just in case there's anything wrong with the new transducer and shaft seal (I went with the PYI seal, which 'just' fit...albeit with some minor grinding of the stern tube).

Good luck on your haul out this week. Please let us know how it goes. Try to stay focused on what needs to be done because you may start to realize so many other things that could be done, as well. You just have to put a kibosh on that or else you'll be in the yard forever!!