PDA

View Full Version : What is this and what's wrong?

BobJ
04-30-2016, 10:11 PM

Gamayun
05-01-2016, 12:36 AM
Have no idea what its purpose is, but the pitting and the bolt backing out without its nut (or is that other bolt missing?) makes me hope it's not a critical piece of componentry, especially with that gap at the base where it looks like there might be some bearings.

So, what is it?

svShearwater
05-01-2016, 04:49 AM
Reckon it is a Harken furler with a missing retainer bolt. Remove the other and see how well the furler works. Been there...

Carry spare bolts and we run a piece of electrical tape around and over the bolts to ensure they don't back out again.

BobJ
05-01-2016, 08:41 AM
Yep, Justin got it. Welcome back Cotter...I mean Carliane. (Great video clip - post it here!)

With SHF coming up, I decided to check the torque tube screws in the furler. They had been tight with a couple layers of black tape wrapped around the tube, and I noticed the tape was getting loose. How one screw backed out and escaped under the tape is a mystery and a second was clearly on its way. No screws, no rollie-rollie. The scaly stuff is just glue from the tape, and more screws are on order.

Lost screws from Harken furlers is the stuff of stories around here - so check those screws!

Philpott
05-01-2016, 08:59 AM
Tape around the screws: why didn't I think of that? Duh

Dazzler
05-01-2016, 11:54 AM
Silicone "Rescue Tape" (as sold at the boat shows and at Whale Point Hardware) works even better. Self amalgimating, tougher than electrical tape, and no sticky residue.

Gamayun
05-01-2016, 06:12 PM
Silicone "Rescue Tape" (as sold at the boat shows and at Whale Point Hardware) works even better. Self amalgimating, tougher than electrical tape, and no sticky residue.

Personally, I'm a fan of Gorilla tape for stick-to-it-ness though I love Rescue Tape for areas where you want a cleaner appearance because, as we all know, it's really all about how pretty the boat looks :) And Loctite for those bolts, just to be safe!

I'm planning to put together a highlight reel of Tubbataha Reef. AMAZING place. Hope to post that soon!

BobJ
05-02-2016, 12:33 PM
I had to buy a pack of 100 at McMaster-Carr (I love that place!)

If anyone needs Harken furler screws, just let me know. (Free)

breezetrees
05-05-2016, 08:24 PM
So I just got a used furler and am trying to check for the loose screws before installing it, but I can't quite figure out the picture. Is this a mkIV furler?

BobJ
05-05-2016, 08:36 PM
I think it's a Mk III drum - I replaced it about 10 years ago and can't remember. The photo of your furler on FB looked like a newer design so maybe there are no screws into the torque tube - it was actually a weakness in the earlier design. That said, I have 100 screws and only need one so if you do need them, don't buy any.

Do you want to hoist that #4 to look at? If so I'll leave it in your cockpit. (I'm not pushing to sell it - it's just to help you out.)

breezetrees
05-05-2016, 09:08 PM
Thanks Bob, I would like to try the #4 but no rush, it will be a little while before I get the furler installed. I've been going through the old sail pile in my garage, the original tuff-luff had the right luff tape and I have a promising dacron sail but it would need modification too (full battens!)

CRC1965
10-17-2016, 06:14 AM
Do you know about Duralac......sort of a lock tight for aerospace industry.....stupidly expensive but the only fitting that shook loose from Ventus was one that I had missed putting this stuff on. Anticorrosive as well......I am always concerned about what gets trapped under tape in terms of accelerating corrosion.......