PDA

View Full Version : Mister Vee experience?

Lanikai
05-06-2016, 07:32 AM
Occasionally, when I'm daydreaming about doing the SHTP or cruising to distant lands, I check the usual corners of the internet for used small boat windvanes -- Navik in particular based, on recommendations I've read here and elsewhere -- but usually come up empty.

This fellow, however, produces what appears to be a viable option, if lightly built, for those of us interested in getting started in the windvane world. Hell, even if you upgraded to a Monitor or the like, you could store the 12lb "Mister Vane" in its cardboard tube and use it for your sail-rigged dinghy!
http://windvaneselfsteering.com/

Any of you ordered anything from him (i.e. Navik parts) or have an educated opinion on either the Y&B or Mr .Vane?

DaveH
05-06-2016, 08:42 AM
Hi Lanikai -
I've had several transactions and interactions with Mr Vee... elsewhere on the forum there are a few conversations re Navik parts that all eventually bring him up.
All of my interactions have been positive, he was very clear about what he could and could not do and knowledgeable about both Navik and his products.
Parts purchased arrived on time, and were exactly what I needed at the time.

IIRC, however, there were some grumpier customers, so your mileage may vary.
In my opinion, this is mostly a matter of understanding that this is one guy running a small side business for a niche market. FWIW...

Best,
DH

Lanikai
05-07-2016, 06:00 PM
Thanks, DH, pretty much what I was looking for and hoped to hear. Keeping a Navik on my wish list but not ruling out Mr. Vee's own vane systems.