PDA

View Full Version : Don't be this guy

pogen
05-17-2016, 12:13 PM

I saw this picture in an advert for UBS Bank. So, solo sailors are cool, even if old-ish.

No foulies, PFD, harnes, tether, jacklines. Looks wet.

Not shown: rockstar hired pro upwind, out of shot, doing the real steering! ;)

Philpott
05-18-2016, 08:17 AM

I saw this picture in an advert for UBS Bank. So, solo sailors are cool, even if old-ish.

No foulies, PFD, harnes, tether, jacklines. Looks wet.

Not shown: rockstar hired pro upwind, out of shot, doing the real steering! ;)

Hahaha! I saw that ad while reading the morning paper and laughed out loud myself, David!

dhusselman
05-18-2016, 10:53 AM
Well, looks like the skipper of the boat I used to race on in the 80's...

We never wore life jackets or had life lines. Also in most cases I did not wear foulies as the motto was "Everyone has the right to suffer"..
When I raced dinghies, I did not even own a life jacket. Sailing in big waters with lot's of wind the race committee would fly a flag that life jackets were required. Me and my crew would stuff towels under our smock so it looked like we had life jackets...

I only used a tether ones, during a very windy Fastnet race (1985) and I needed it as a large wave knocked the boat down and I found myself next to the boat. Luckily the tether was short and I was pulled back into the cockpit when the boat came back up.

Those were the days... :) Also back then we had a good indicator when the competition would tack. The crew would throw their cigarettes to get ready for action...

Dirk "TIJD" First 30 JK

Critter
05-18-2016, 11:01 AM
Wow, that guy's really old!

pogen
05-18-2016, 11:26 AM
The crew would throw their cigarettes to get ready for action...

That would be a clear violation of RRS rule 55. PROTEST!

Wylieguy
05-18-2016, 02:18 PM
On light wind races before I could afford a wind instrument it was always nice to have at least one smoker among the crew.

kenneth56
02-02-2022, 11:30 AM
The old guy will not look 'cool' in all that equipment :)

Intermission
02-02-2022, 08:03 PM
On light wind races before I could afford a wind instrument it was always nice to have at least one smoker among the crew.

I briefly considered anchoring out by Red Rock or TI with a sign that said; *ice water and incense; $1 a bottle or a stick.*

That idea was quickly shelved.

AlanH
02-03-2022, 12:40 PM
Looks cold.

hijan1
04-02-2022, 05:21 PM
Outhaul looks loose for an upwind course, so maybe no PRO on board....