PDA

View Full Version : Provisioning Tips

pogen
05-17-2016, 04:50 PM
I'm not sure that Provisioning was well covered in our Seminars -- it is a fairly personal topic.

I made a lot of dumb choices for our DH PacCup, and I've learned since then.

So I will share, and hope others do also.

1. Freeze dried is not at all bad. I had kind of a phobia about those freeze dried in-a-bag meals, but after I went on a trip where that was what was on offer, I realized that they are not at all bad. Especially Mountan Home Chili Mac.

2. I went on a bareboat charter on a boat with an excellent working fridge, and I got spoiled right away. So I finally replaced the broken fridge in my boat. This should let me keep an initial batch of food cool. I'm thinking to grill a bunch of chicken breasts/parts, those are very easy to eat, with bag instant rice or whatever.

3. Logan Bread. This is a very good bread, kind of like home made Cliff Bar, but nicer and not so sweet or fake tasting. It will keep for over two weeks easily without going bad. Here's the recipe I've made 2 or 3 times, though I vary the nuts and dried fruit I put in. I use more fruit, raisins, dates, nuts, leave out the chocolate. The lack of eggs and the presence of molasses contribute to its long shelf life.

Logan Bread

Originally created for a 1950 summit of Mount Logan, this recipe has been modified to include dark chocolate chips, which frankly make anything better!

Ingredients:

Dry Ingredients:

2 C Wheat Flour
2 C White Flour
2 C Quick Oats
3/4 C Brown Sugar
1/2 C Powdered Milk
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 teaspoon Cinnamon

Wet Ingredients:

1 1/2 C Water
3/4 C Honey
1/2 C Molasses
3/4 C Oil

Goodies:

1 1/2 C Almond Pieces
1 1/2 C Dried Cranberries
1-2 C Dark Chocolate Chips

Pre-Trip Preparation:

Cook, cool, and wrap prior to the trip.

Logan Bread DoughCooking Instructions:

Heat Oven to 300F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
Add Liquid Ingredients and stir thoroughly.
Add Goodies. Feel free to improvise your own.
Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
Cook at 300 for one hour.
Remove from oven, and cut into desired pieces (2 x 3 inches).
Return to oven at lowest setting possible, with door slightly open.
Cook for another hour or so to further dry.
Remove, cool, then wrap cut squares in plastic.

Logan BreadNotes:

Store in freezer until ready for your trip.

peter00
05-28-2016, 04:40 PM
I never feel much like cooking (ever) and especially at sea. I also often feel something less than a hundred percent until I get my sea legs. In the SHTP especially the start and the first few days can be tiring and fairly tough sailing so what I tried and it worked very well was to bring a case of Ensure. As I'm sure everyone knows this is a meal substitute for old folks and it goes down really easily (and I'm sure comes up really easily too) yet provides all the nutrients and energy you need. Great stuff when cooking isn't a viable option.

salnichols94804
05-28-2016, 07:34 PM
I'm not sure that Provisioning was well covered in our Seminars -- it is a fairly personal topic.

I made a lot of dumb choices for our DH PacCup, and I've learned since then.

So I will share, and hope others do also.

1. Freeze dried is not at all bad. I had kind of a phobia about those freeze dried in-a-bag meals, but after I went on a trip where that was what was on offer, I realized that they are not at all bad. Especially Mountan Home Chili Mac.

2. I went on a bareboat charter on a boat with an excellent working fridge, and I got spoiled right away. So I finally replaced the broken fridge in my boat. This should let me keep an initial batch of food cool. I'm thinking to grill a bunch of chicken breasts/parts, those are very easy to eat, with bag instant rice or whatever.

3. Logan Bread. This is a very good bread, kind of like home made Cliff Bar, but nicer and not so sweet or fake tasting. It will keep for over two weeks easily without going bad. Here's the recipe I've made 2 or 3 times, though I vary the nuts and dried fruit I put in. I use more fruit, raisins, dates, nuts, leave out the chocolate. The lack of eggs and the presence of molasses contribute to its long shelf life.

Logan Bread

Originally created for a 1950 summit of Mount Logan, this recipe has been modified to include dark chocolate chips, which frankly make anything better!

Ingredients:

Dry Ingredients:

2 C Wheat Flour
2 C White Flour
2 C Quick Oats
3/4 C Brown Sugar
1/2 C Powdered Milk
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 teaspoon Cinnamon

Wet Ingredients:

1 1/2 C Water
3/4 C Honey
1/2 C Molasses
3/4 C Oil

Goodies:

1 1/2 C Almond Pieces
1 1/2 C Dried Cranberries
1-2 C Dark Chocolate Chips

Pre-Trip Preparation:

Cook, cool, and wrap prior to the trip.

Logan Bread DoughCooking Instructions:

Heat Oven to 300F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
Add Liquid Ingredients and stir thoroughly.
Add Goodies. Feel free to improvise your own.
Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
Cook at 300 for one hour.
Remove from oven, and cut into desired pieces (2 x 3 inches).
Return to oven at lowest setting possible, with door slightly open.
Cook for another hour or so to further dry.
Remove, cool, then wrap cut squares in plastic.

Logan BreadNotes:

Store in freezer until ready for your trip.

We were having this discussion today. The consensus was to avoid "bulky" and spicy foods early in the trip. There's NOTHING quite so uncomfortable as a combination of dehydration and constipation (well, there is, but it's physically impossible to kick yourself there). If you're losing fluids through seasickness, ( not uncommon), you don't want to exacerbate the problem by eating foods that require a ton of H2O to digest.

I made Logan bread once, for a winter ascent of Williamson. Lots of calories, Logan Bread is a survival meal. If you replace the chocolate (as I must) with apricots and/or dates...you might even have a Bravo Mike.

bizirka
05-31-2016, 09:25 AM
I never feel much like cooking (ever) and especially at sea. I also often feel something less than a hundred percent until I get my sea legs. In the SHTP especially the start and the first few days can be tiring and fairly tough sailing so what I tried and it worked very well was to bring a case of Ensure. As I'm sure everyone knows this is a meal substitute for old folks and it goes down really easily (and I'm sure comes up really easily too) yet provides all the nutrients and energy you need. Great stuff when cooking isn't a viable option.

Ensure got me through my qualifier..it was amazing. Another (better and healthier) option is Soylent 2.0 , but it takes a while to get used to..at least a week or so.

sleddog
06-02-2016, 08:32 AM
"Provisioning Tips" would include the observation that trash taken ashore at Hanalei has to be put somewhere. The few Beach Park trash cans are easily overwhelmed by sailors bringing their trash ashore, which then is either trucked 60 miles to Kekaha landfill, or barged off island if recyclable.

Mindful pre-Race practice reducing the amount of disposable packaging, especially single use drink bottles and other plastic, is encouraged. Sea water rinsing, then keeping trash aboard, double bagged, until the boat is returned to the Mainland is recommended.

Here's a pic of 2008 SHTP entrant CHESAPEAKE, with their crew of three's total trash after their recent 24 day passage from St. Helena to Trinidad. Kudos to them.