PDA

View Full Version : +3 bay races in summer 2017 - what would it take?

255grizzly
06-06-2016, 11:38 AM
Hi - what would it take for the SSS to add 3 "in the bay" races next summer (2017)? Day races, to be clear, without any related overnight. I have to think there is demand out there -- after all, the SSS gets 100+ boats in the 3BF, Corinthian, and Round the Rocks.

Would it require higher membership fees? More volunteers? Piggybacking on YRA races?

I think there is a lot of be said for doing this. Bay races are obviously cheaper and more convenient -- and will attract more boats than ocean races or overnights ever will. It seems like a no brainer to have more of them, esp. if one of the club's main goals is to promote the sport. Having more in the bay races would also, I think, help create a stronger pipeline of future ocean racers.

Unfortunately, at the moment the SSS schedule is weighted in just the opposite direction: 5 ocean/overnight races vs. 3 in the bay day races. This inherently attracts big boats, or people with time, or people with money (the 1% of sailing?)

For the long-term health of the club and the sport, shouldn't the club weight its schedule towards the bay?

- A 99% sailor:)

P.S. Happy to help organize this if need be.

pogen
06-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Actually the season is evenly split.

Bay -- 3BF, RTR, Corinthian, Vallejo 1-2

Ocean -- SHF, HMB, Drakes 1+2, SHTP/LP

Plenty of small boats do the ocean races. They just need appropriate safety gear.

IMHO if anything the club should do more to encourage the bay-only crowd to do ocean races, and DH boats to start doing some races SH.

Mark roundings and starts are already scary enough without bringing on more bay-only DH'ers.

Just my 2 cents.

255grizzly
06-06-2016, 02:07 PM
I didn't consider the Vallejo as a bay race b/c it's an overnighter - so fair point.

Still, there is a HUGE gap in the summer -- almost 3 months with no SSS races (in the bay or otherwise). That creates a real problem - what do I do in the summer? Where can I race? I'm in the YRA series to fill the gap, but it's not the same without you guys:)

Then comes the fall and it's all overnighters and long distance ocean racing. Outside of the equipment requirements (which my boat meets), it is just super hard to make that happen from a logistical pov (kids, work, etc. -- how do you all find the time?!)

I really don't see it as either/or between ocean and bay. Instead, I believe it's a win/win: more bay races = more potential sailors who will become ocean racers. Bang for the buck, you are always going to get more people to the line for a bay race.

And I think there ways to deal with large fleets -- different courses for different classes, putting more time between starts, requiring qualifying races of some sort, and/or maybe even making some of the races single handed only.

Actually the season is evenly split.

Bay -- 3BF, RTR, Corinthian, Vallejo 1-2

Ocean -- SHF, HMB, Drakes 1+2, SHTP/LP

Plenty of small boats do the ocean races. They just need appropriate safety gear.

IMHO if anything the club should do more to encourage the bay-only crowd to do ocean races, and DH boats to start doing some races SH.

Mark roundings and starts are already scary enough without bringing on more bay-only DH'ers.

Just my 2 cents.

BobJ
06-06-2016, 02:45 PM
Having worked with YRA on the schedule, I can tell you that adding anything to the 800+ events already on the calendar is difficult. We added Drake's Bay by combining with OYRA, and as you know I've promoted adding shorthanded divisions to existing single races (like IYC's Silver Eagle) or series (like the Berkeley Midwinters). Without fail the response from race organizers has been "bring us the entries and we'll give you a start."

Any of the YRA races are open to shorthanders if you just gather 4-5 of your friends and enter. The Ditch Run had a shorthanders division this year. The Silver Eagle (6/25) is ready to receive your entries as posted elsewhere on the forum. Then on 7/16 SFYC has their Midnight Moonlight Maritime Marathon. A few of us thought about asking for a shorthanders division last year in the MMMM but didn't plan far enough ahead. How about this year?

The only thing this doesn't change is the SSS series scores, although even that could be considered: a "Super Series"?

255grizzly
06-06-2016, 02:57 PM
Maybe it's a matter of awareness / not being in the SSS calendar?

On the forums here, there are a few of us scrambling around trying to get folks to participate in various races (me the YRA series, Jackie the Silver Eagle, etc.) It seems hard to make that happen.

What if the SSS just put the YRA series into its calendar for next year with an asterix? The qualifications could be: a) that you have to pay for the race in addition to your SSS membership, b) that it will only occur if at least 5 boats sign up, and c) that it won't count towards season standings (at least for the first year.)

BobJ
06-06-2016, 03:35 PM
We currently show the OYRA series dates and a few others, but we could add a few non-SSS Bay races and label the list(s) "BAY" or "OCEAN" to highlight the options:

http://sfbaysss.org/main/racing/

When I receive the YRA/Latitude 38 Calendar in January, I create and prioritize a list of the races I want to do that year, transfer that list to the family/home calendar and work out the conflicts. I know several others who do it this way. Between my list, invitations to race on other boats, non-racing SSS duties (like inspections) and non-sailing stuff, I'm pretty much booked. Maybe we should consider publishing "SSS Bay Super Series" and "SSS Ocean Super Series" lists so the extra races get promoted and onto our calendars. It's indeed fun to race with other SSS skippers in non-SSS races.

255grizzly
06-06-2016, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I saw those last year, but wasn't really sure what was going on with them. I focused on the races I saw in the "It starts with a fiasco..." graphic.

bizirka
06-06-2016, 05:18 PM
I love the idea, Bob. I was just scanning the forums to see what non SSS races you guys/gals will be doing next. Farallon Islands this weekend?

255grizzly
06-06-2016, 05:20 PM
Cool idea - the Bay vs. Ocean Series. More opportunities for trophies! You could have a winner of the bay series. A winner of the ocean. And a winner overall. Lots of racing. Lots of winners. This makes sense for the club long term as it tries to woo millennials aka. the "trophy generation." If they want trophies, give 'em trophies I say!

BobJ
06-06-2016, 05:41 PM
My dentist says "No more plaque!" Does he mean more trophies?

Biz, yep, OYRA Farallones on Saturday. Looks like breeze on. On 6/25 we have the IYC Silver Eagle (Bay) or OYRA Half Moon Bay (Ocean). Based on last year I think the Silver Eagle would be more fun but so far, no entries???

255grizzly
06-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Done!

solosailor
06-10-2016, 08:59 AM
What if the SSS just put the YRA series into its calendar for next year with an asterix? The SSS season has shaped up over decades of racing. Why not just get enough entries for the YRA to add a shorthanded division, it doesn't involve the SSS if they don't count for the season nor run by the SSS. There are plenty on the schedule and as stated it's very difficult to add more dates. June used to be more busy with the Coastal Cup and Longpac/SHTP (used to be June 24'th'ish) and the Silver Eagle used to be more attended and MUCH longer.

pogen
06-10-2016, 11:16 AM
Latitude 38 publishes a shorthanded circuit in the annual Master Calendar book and also on their website

https://www.latitude38.com/YRASchedule/shorthanded.html

JAN. 30 SSS Three Bridge Fiasco
FEB. 27 Single/Doublehanded #1, SeqYC
MARCH 12 Rites of Spring Race, OYC
MARCH 12 Doublehanded Long Distance, SSC
MARCH 19 Corinthian Race, SSS
MARCH 26 Doublehanded Farallones, BAMA
APRIL 2 Doublehanded Lightship Race, IYC
APRIL 16 YRA OYRA Lightship, StFYC
APRIL 23 Round the Rocks, SSS
APRIL 30-MAY 1 YRA Great Vallejo Race, VYC
MAY 7 Single/Doublehanded #2, SeqYC
MAY 14 Singlehanded Farallones Race, SSS
MAY 21 YRA OYRA Duxship
MAY 27 Spinnaker Cup to Monterey, SFYC/MPYC
JUNE 11 YRA OYRA Farallones Race
JULY 24 Doublehanded Races, LTWYC
JUNE 25 YRA OYRA Half Moon Bay Race, HMBYC
JULY 9 YRA Westpoint Regatta, SeqYC
JULY 16 YRA OYRA Jr. Waterhouse
JULY 16 Jill and Jack Race, SSC
JULY 23 Single/Doublehanded #3, SeqYC
JULY 30-31 YRA Second Half Opener, EYC
AUG. 6 YRA OYRA RCs Choice
AUG. 21 Singlehanded Race, LTWYC
AUG. 21 Gracie & George Race, EYC
AUG. 27-28 YRA OYRA / SSS Drake's Bay Race
SEPT. TBD Jack and Jill Regatta, SCYC
SEPT. 10 Single/Doublehanded #4, SeqYC
SEPT. 24 Half Moon Bay Race, SSS
SEPT. 24-25 YRA Season Closer
OCT. 1 Shorthanded Races, TYC
OCT. 8 YRA OYRA RCs Choice
OCT. 15 Single/Doublehanded #5, SeqYC
OCT. 22-23 Vallejo 1-2, SSS
NOV. 6 Jack & Jill + 1 Race (Triplehanded), IYC

255grizzly
06-11-2016, 11:26 PM
Thanks for posting this. I had seen it before and forgotten about it. I have to say, though, that as someone who wants to do more single handed keelboat racing inside the bay in the summer, this schedule doesn't really deliver. Starting in May, this is mostly ocean racing or relatively far away (Tahoe, redwood city, Stockton, etc.) or double handed.

Latitude 38 publishes a shorthanded circuit in the annual Master Calendar book and also on their website

https://www.latitude38.com/YRASchedule/shorthanded.html

255grizzly
06-11-2016, 11:28 PM
The SSS season has shaped up over decades of racing. Why not just get enough entries for the YRA to add a shorthanded division, it doesn't involve the SSS if they don't count for the season nor run by the SSS. There are plenty on the schedule and as stated it's very difficult to add more dates. June used to be more busy with the Coastal Cup and Longpac/SHTP (used to be June 24'th'ish) and the Silver Eagle used to be more attended and MUCH longer.

I think we would be much more likely to get 5+ single handed boats to the line if the SSS actually promoted more races in its schedule. I think piggybacking on the yra series could be a good option. They run a good race. And we already have the relationship via the drakes bay race.

255grizzly
06-19-2016, 05:45 PM
I did the YRA series again this weekend. I'm reversing my stand on that series - I don't think it's a great one for single handers. There's too much traffic going up and down the course for flying spinnaker solo (I may be on the conservative side here, but there were a lot of fancy boats in the phrf fleet and, excuse me for judging by looks, but they didn't strike as the types who would make room for a singlehander.) Also, the RC doesn't give you much time as a break in between the races. Well, at least if you're one of the last finishers, which I was. I had a slow first race and literally had to start my second race within 1-2 minutes of finishing the first. Ug.

I still think it would be great for the SSS to fill in its summer calendar with a few races in the Bay. Bob J's idea of a "Bay Series" is just great. Instead of the YRA regattas, perhaps we could consider the Berkeley Tri Island Series and the Silver Eagle? These seem like a good format for single handers -- one race, longer distances, friendly vibe.

I really believe that if we add these to the SSS calendar, it will spur greater single and/or double-handed participation in the races. But even if it doesn't, there's very little downside. More shorthanded racing in the Bay in the summer would be great!

AlanH
07-04-2016, 12:03 PM
Once I FINALLY get my boat going, it's going to be a few years before I can accumulate enough $$ to get the gear to do the offshore stuff. I'll be limited to in-the-Bay races. I, personally would be very interested in a "piggyback" series of midsummer and Fall shorthanded divisions in existing races. The Delta Ditch Run and Silver Eagle are obvious choices.

What's the LTWYC?

BobJ
07-04-2016, 01:03 PM
What's the LTWYC?

Lake Tahoe Windjammers Yacht Club.

solosailor
07-05-2016, 02:22 PM
I really believe that if we add these to the SSS calendar, it will spur greater single and/or double-handed participation in the races. But even if it doesn't, there's very little downside. More shorthanded racing in the Bay in the summer would be great!It dilutes the schedule. I'd be firmly against adding more races. Our distance races Longpac and SHTP are in June/July and if you add all these neat little day races right around then most of those ardent competitors wouldn't be able to compete. There is a season championship and all so to add those races right on top of our OWN major races would be a bad move.

There are plenty of SSS races especially with the recent addition of 2 ocean races days, Drakes Bay.

solosailor
07-05-2016, 02:23 PM
You could have petitioned something like the WestPoint Regatta this weekend to have a shorthanded division, etc.

BobJ
07-05-2016, 06:16 PM
It already has a shorthanded division. So far only one boat has signed up (Larry Mayne). Anyone else want to race down to Redwood City next Saturday?

I don't think any of us is suggesting that SSS add any races to its season schedule. I've been suggesting other existing races that have (or could have) a shorthanded division, to fill in the gap between SSS races. Next year this could morph into a shorthanded "super-series" of sorts, so those participating could see how they did for the super-season. This would not have to be a formal SSS activity, or it could be. The more shorthanded racing the better, whether in SSS or in other races.

Gamayun
07-05-2016, 06:33 PM
You could have petitioned something like the WestPoint Regatta this weekend to have a shorthanded division, etc.

Beccie and I are sailing doublehanded in the WestPoint Regatta. We love that race; we cut our teeth on that race 2 years ago now. I think singlehanding is fun and all, but it certainly doesn't limit my racing choices and people aren't streaming out of the woodwork to help the SSS Race Committee to put on more events. Just sayin' ;)

BobJ
07-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Right now Kynntana is entered with Full Crew. Did you mean to enter as Shorthanded (SH or DH)?

Gamayun
07-05-2016, 11:15 PM
Right now Kynntana is entered with Full Crew. Did you mean to enter as Shorthanded (SH or DH)?

Uh oh. Thanks for letting me know! I meant to enter as DH. Will change that now.

All fixed! This is our rematch with Larry (ISEULT), too. We watched him last year sailing deep then heading up while we sailed a straight DDW line. We were perplexed as to what he was doing so afterwards he told us about sailing to our polars ("keep it hot" we like to say now). The year before that, we figured out why we needed to better read the division flags after a pretty horrendous start.

Do you still remember your newbie years....?!