PDA

View Full Version : HMB race - recommendations on docking at Pillar Point?

jhopp
06-15-2016, 01:40 PM
Howdy folks! I'm doing my first Half Moon Bay race on 6/25 and looking for recommendations on where to dock when I get down there. The harbormaster says they have empty slips but it's first-come-first-served. She thought HMBYC might have a guest dock as well. I'd like to leave White Shadow down there until Monday, then sail back.

Or is it easier to just turn around and go back the same day? Makes for a long day but simpler logistics.

Thanks.

Critter
06-15-2016, 02:52 PM
I've never had a problem getting a slip. Some other options are presented here: http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/showthread.php?4466-One-Way-to-Half-Moon-Bay

Wylieguy
06-15-2016, 03:36 PM
Jim, There are several options for a HMB Race (SSS or OYRA). 1) Call the Harbormaster's Office on VHF after finishing and ask for a berth. Most of the time you'll get one, but sometimes it's a side tie. If you get a berth I'm sure you can have it for two days. 2) Anchor out or use of of the Pillar Point provided (you are supposed to pay) mooring buoys. The problem here is getting to/from your boat. 3) Tie up at the HMB YC's floating dock and use their rope/pulley raft to go back and forth. You would probably be rafting up Saturday night. You'd have to ask the HMB YC about leaving your boat there Sunday night. 4) Turn and burn. As you say, a long day, but quite a few boats do it every year. At least you're in your home berth that evening and can sleep in Sunday morning. In your own bed.

I've done all of the above over the years. Recently I've gotten a harbor slip and come home Sunday morning. Motor sail out to near the Colorado Reef buoy, crack off and close reach/reach up, aiming for Pt. Bonita, edge in when you approach Lands End and sail past Mile Rock. - Pat B.

jhopp
06-16-2016, 12:32 PM
Thanks guys.