PDA

View Full Version : In Hanalei Bay

Philpott
07-14-2016, 11:01 AM
Dirk Husselman and the Kahuna at Command Central.

Gamayun
07-14-2016, 01:04 PM
Nice!! Have you gone snorkeling yet? Found the lava tubes? Wondered to the Secret Baths? Seen the lighthouse and the frigate birds? Walked the spectacular botanical gardens? Picked up some lilikoi at the farmer's market? Come'on girl, real pictures next time....we need ACTION pictures and stories!!!

Philpott
07-14-2016, 02:53 PM
Dirk Husselman collecting a sup from Command Central. Carliane, if I'm photographing I'm not DOING.

Philpott
07-15-2016, 02:11 AM
Our crash boat - oops, our greeting boat - is not quite here yet. But that's okay, right? Cuz the first boat won't come in until, oh, say another 7 hours. So we have a plan B ready to go. We've inflated Temerity's big dinghy, which we have tucked away around the side of the house out of sight of local predators (kind of like living in my neighborhood in Oakland, but with a mahalo at the end). We are waking every 2 hours (kind of like single handing across the ocean but drier and more comfortable, with hot showers and not so rolly) in case someone radios in. Jonathan Gutoff and I accompanied Brian to the bluffs of Princeville( through a lot of muddy puddles and bushes is where we went!) In order to try to reach the front runners over his Yagi, which is constructed of slim PVC piping and old used arrow quivers. Or so I'm told. Well, it didn't work there so then we drove through this intense rain, a squall, to a swanky neighborhood because it was on higher ground, slogged through high wet grass with the Yagi and all its cords again, and tried again: "boat name, boat name, this is the Transpac, do you read me?" Well, nobody responded, so we high tailed it out there before we got arrested. We've got the radio on scan here in the kitchen, the rain is just pouring down outside and it must really be something out there on the water.
So we're ready to roll, or at least paddle Temerity's dinghy out to greet the first finisher(s) who seem to be flying toward us. We have our headlamps and vhf radios ready. There's a finish sheet on the wall at Command Central that mimics Skip's finish sheet from 1978. I hope everybody will record their own boats' finish times when they arrive because I'm going to bed.

Philpott
07-15-2016, 02:39 AM
Here is a photo of our radio, scanning its little heart out from its perch on top of the
Plastic cooler on the kitchen floor next to the bag of recycling. Wow. This must be what it's like to be part of the Pacific Cup organization, huh? Except I don't see no thick carpeting nowhere.

BobJ
07-15-2016, 07:46 AM
Our crash boat - oops, our greeting boat - is not quite here yet.

Rob called it "Racer Chaser One" which I thought was great. But you're good at naming things (like cars) - go for it! BTW, who's driving Loose Lucy while you're slumming on the Garden Isle?

Gamayun
07-15-2016, 11:42 AM
This morning, Facebook showed up with the post I made in July 2012 about the surf lessons. Nice to have the memory refresher. So, if you decide to go, you can take lessons on Kiahuna Beach next to the Marriott. Looks like a couple of outfits are set up right there and it's a long nice, easy break, if you're a surfing weenie beginner like me.

But I'm sure there are way more important things to do right now. Have fun :)

Mewes
07-15-2016, 12:50 PM
Anyone done? Yeah, dinghy! The General outta be there any minute, he'll have a dinghy... Glad you are finally whooping it up.

Philpott
07-19-2016, 04:23 PM
Hoo boy, that was fun! Staying at Command Central was like living in the Pink Palace in Berkeley in the late 70s but without the drugs. This time around everybody had credit cards, though. Susan kept the fridge full of nutritious food and beer. Sleep deprived bug lighters would disembark the Sea Squirrel and descend upon the little yellow house. They'd eat everything in sight then crash on the closest couch or chair. At one point there were three Davids snoring in one corner of the house or another. There were toys in the shed, things like boogie boards and stand up paddle boards, snorkels and fins, chairs with cup holders and three bikes, one with a basket for groceries. We were right across the street from the tree with a big yard that held five or six cars. An outside shower with hot water and a special little shower for our feet. It was perfect for the Singlehanded Sailing Society.

Philpott
07-19-2016, 04:32 PM
The crash boat/recovery boat/Sea Squirrel was very hard to start. Only the Kahuna and the Commodore were able to figure it out. Some kind of special training in using foul language and quickly shoving the handle up and down at the same time the key was turned. It was quite a show. And we could not tie it up anywhere for fear of theft, so instead it was tethered to the stern of Ventus. That meant that someone had to paddle out to get it every time a Bug lighter appeared on the horizon of Skip's patio high above the cliffs of Princeville. So Skip would text us when a boat showed up. When that happened at 2 am someone had to paddle out to get the Sea Squireel. When a boat appeared at 4 am someone had to paddle out to get the Sea Squirrel. Do you "get" the picture? It was a cold nasty job, but someone had to do it. Here's a photo of the Kahuna eyeing the tracker: "Seriously? Can't these people arrive in the middle of the day when it's warm and sunny? No, they always come in the drizzle or the middle of the night. Maybe we can ask them to circle around for awhile." Good thing the Kahuna is a surfer. Those people are nuts.

Philpott
07-20-2016, 12:04 PM
Landed safely in Hanalei Bay: Tortuga, Elizabeth Ann, Jacqueline and Haunani.
This about Haunani from Susan Walker: "Beautiful afternoon finish. There must have been 20 people here to greet her with traditional flower and woven grass leis. Very lovely! She looked great after all she'd been through."

Gamayun
07-20-2016, 12:21 PM
So great to hear!!!! Thanks, Jackie

Philpott
07-20-2016, 12:50 PM
This from Susan Walker: "Lots of anchoring problems this year. Seems like regular in shore calls for drifting boats ... More than we ever recall. Probably combo of twinky race anchors and conditions. Green Giant had a good idea of adding "anchoring" as a seminar topic. And if they don't want to carry a heavier anchor to send one."

Green Giant is Susan's name for Dave Garman. Sleep deprived, she couldn't remember David Garman's boat's name, so the boat became "Green Giant" and shortly after that we began calling David Green Giant.. David is very resourceful and knowledgable, and has quickly become the go-to guy. Pakala's scope is too long? David paddled out and re-anchored it. The fridge is running low on food? David goes on a market run for sushi and doritos and etc. Rum low? David makes sure that never happens.

Philpott
07-20-2016, 09:01 PM
Results on the wall in the little yellow house in Hanalei:

Philpott
07-20-2016, 09:52 PM
Who is this brash youngster who came out of nowhere to sail first over the line in Hanalei Bay? He grew up in Bellevue, Washington. According to his mother, he liked to watch boats while he drank beer with his friends. Then he decided it would be better to drink beer on boats with his friends. According to his father, Jiri borrowed $10,000 to buy a 28’ Newport, which he named Chaos. He sold the Newport and paid his father back. Late in the summer of 2010 he bought an Olson 30 he named Kato, which he sailed in the 2016 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race.

I first met Jiri on the deck of the Corinthian Yacht Club @ 10:15 am the morning before the race. He was leaning on the deck rail, talking to someone on the phone. The Skippers meeting had started earlier, at 9:30 am, and Brian Boschma was going over communications issues with everyone. Everyone but Jiri, who was out on the deck. As I walked by, Jiri smiled that big beautiful smile of his and called out, “Hey! Excuse me! Do you know if there is a skippers’ meeting here?” Yup. A youngster.

Jiri is 27 years old and lists his marina as Sausalito in Marin. Uh huh. I’m thinking he anchors out in Richardson’s Bay. He and his family are from the Czech Republic, and he flew that country’s flag at the start and end of the race. It’s a beautiful flag. Jiri lives in San Francisco with his girlfriend, Bree. I hope I’m spelling her name right, because she is a lovely woman. Apparently she helped Jiri prepare his boat for the race. She also located him for the race committee.

There is a point of land between Hanalei Bay and the rest of the world. Fortunately for us, Skip Allan and the fair Annie had a condo overlooking the entrance to the Bay and were able to help us spot incoming yachts for much of the race. However, when Jiri and Kato approached, Skip and Annie had not yet arrived. And the tracker failed to note how far off were the boats. Despite a yagi in the tree outside the little yellow house, we could not raise Kato on the radio. We knew he was out there, but not exactly where out there. And then we heard a little ring tone. Bree raised her phone and said, “Oh, hi!” Jiri had texted Bree. Yup. Modern technology. These young people. They communicate in the most ingenious ways. Which carrier? You may well ask. Let’s hope for a sponsorship next time from: Verizon.

Philpott
08-31-2016, 06:48 PM
Photos from Vance Sprock, not all in Hanalei Bay, also at Nawiliwili Harbor about to be loaded