PDA

View Full Version : Not A Yacht Club

bizirka
07-26-2016, 11:04 AM
Jackie! I love the book - I was up half the night reading it, I am almost done. It is amazing. Thank you so much for this wonderful present. A MUST READ EVERYONE!

oldensloh
07-26-2016, 02:57 PM
Read the book during the race and I loved it. Great read Jackie!

pogen
07-26-2016, 03:29 PM
Read it on the plane home. People kept looking at me because I was laughing out loud. Great book!

Philpott
07-26-2016, 05:37 PM
Read it on the plane home. People kept looking at me because I was laughing out loud. Great book!

Hahaha! I typed up the transcribed audiotapes late at night, through a transcriber/headphone set. Just like you, I would laugh out loud. Synthia? Peter Heiberg? They are FUNNY! My workroom is off my husband's and my bedroom. My husband would complain: "Stop laughing! You're waking me up!" George Lythcott told me that his book got soaked sailing from San Francisco to Hanalei. Of course it did! He sails Taz! It should be called WeTaz! George said he was drying it out slowly, page by page so he can read it. He was fishing for a dry copy, I think. I'd love to trade him a new one for the old, because then I would have a copy of the book that lived up to my high hopes: one that got wet while coming across an ocean and through the Pacific High. Do you think he can be persuaded?

Gamayun
07-26-2016, 08:04 PM
How neat that you did this, Jackie :) Inquiring minds wanna know....where can we get the book and does it come in electronic form?

bizirka
07-26-2016, 10:16 PM
Our silly little boats! Mine got soaking we too. My dad diligently dried the book out for me - he turned it a few pages every hour for days. I love my copy - wrinkled from the pacific seawater.

Philpott
07-27-2016, 12:03 PM
How neat that you did this, Jackie :) Inquiring minds wanna know....where can we get the book and does it come in electronic form?

Hey, Carliane, I gave one as a gift to each 2016 Buglighter, and one to each of the twelve people I interviewed. My three brothers each bought one on Amazon. One other mystery person has bought one, so that makes 4 sales. Electronic form? I don't even know what that means. Hail me on VHF channel 9 and I'll read it out loud to you in installments. Of course I have a copy for you. My brother sent me this photo of his boy, Ryan, who is learning how to read. Start 'em out reading about boats, that's what I say.

The Smokester
07-27-2016, 11:48 PM
I enjoyed my copy during the race. Couldn't put it down. Well done, Jackie!

AlanH
07-28-2016, 12:08 PM
Eh? What is this? I am unaware of this book until seeing this thread but I suspect that I need to own it.

DaveH
07-28-2016, 01:19 PM
Eh? What is this? I am unaware of this book until seeing this thread but I suspect that I need to own it.

https://www.amazon.com/Not-Yacht-Club-Singlehanded-Sailing/dp/1533175217/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469736975&sr=8-1&keywords=not+a+yacht+club

As Jackie alludes too, I am sure it can be "alternately" sourced...

DH

mike cunningham
07-28-2016, 03:56 PM
I did not even know i had the book until i got to Nawiliwili yesterday. I tossed the little duffel in the forpeak and was too busy to roust it, or anything else, out at the halfway.

I came across the book as i dug my way through my wet smelly mess in the forward cabin to clean up the boat before a trip back to the 48.

And now, Philipot, you owe me big time. I started reading the damn thing and missed an appointment with the harbormaster, didn't do my laundry, let all the ice melt, and forgot to turn on the solar charger!!!

Fantastic book!!! Motivating too. I am now pondering a better prepared 2018.

captleasure
08-01-2016, 05:23 PM
I concur, this book was a great read and I highly recommend it! Thanks for putting this together Jackie, well done, bravo!

Philpott
08-01-2016, 07:07 PM
I concur, this book was a great read and I highly recommend it! Thanks for putting this together Jackie, well done, bravo!

He cooks! He reads! He photographs me on my boat! He sails his boat across the Pacific Ocean. I love this guy.

Submarino
08-02-2016, 11:45 PM
Finished Jackie's and Sigler's book last week. Jackie, thanks for documenting the history. Well done! George, you're a fabulous nut and quite keen in the brain. So far, I got Skip's and the General's autograph on the 2016 "Program." My next time in Florida, I am gonna try to get George's. Bruce Jenner in the bottom row is no more.

Haunani
08-09-2016, 06:54 AM
Jackie...my copy is still aboard my boat (home soon) and after seeing all of the comments, I cannot wait to check it out! So cool that you did this...congrats. A huge effort and accomplishment!!

WBChristie
08-15-2016, 07:56 PM
Great read! Wonderful effort Jackie - thank you

peter00
08-28-2016, 08:12 PM
Jackie, loved the book. Learned a lot about SSS. But is it fair to interview someone who is clearly in a drug induced psychotic episode?

Philpott
08-29-2016, 12:01 PM
Jackie, loved the book. Learned a lot about SSS. But is it fair to interview someone who is clearly in a drug induced psychotic episode?

Kamen, Hogg, Allan, Petroka and Boschma? Clearly you are not the only one who lives in an altered state of being. As for the drugs, well, I did feel swell after drinking that tea you made me. Thanks again.

Philpott
08-29-2016, 12:03 PM
Great read! Wonderful effort Jackie - thank you

Thank you! It was my pleasure.

peter00
08-30-2016, 10:46 AM
Jackie, I spent the summer fooling around in SE Alaska and when I returned I looked at the Kindle and Amazon sales figures for my book Lee Shore Blues. There was a significant uptick in sales and I don't know what to attribute it to except the several plugs you gave to my book in your book. Can't be sure but.... So anybody reading this should be aware that Jackie's book is available from Amazon AND IF YOU ENJOY IT TAKE A FEW MINUTES TO GIVE IT A POSITIVE REVIEW on Amazon. Since I am interviewed in your book and Lee Shore Blues is mentioned a couple of times I thought it might be disingenuous for me to review your book but I hope others here will take a minute. It's expensive to produce a book and a good review definitely helps recover costs.

Philpott
08-30-2016, 11:06 AM
Jackie, I spent the summer fooling around in SE Alaska and when I returned I looked at the Kindle and Amazon sales figures for my book Lee Shore Blues. There was a significant uptick in sales and I don't know what to attribute it to except the several plugs you gave to my book in your book. Can't be sure but.... So anybody reading this should be aware that Jackie's book is available from Amazon AND IF YOU ENJOY IT TAKE A FEW MINUTES TO GIVE IT A POSITIVE REVIEW on Amazon. Since I am interviewed in your book and Lee Shore Blues is mentioned a couple of times I thought it might be disingenuous for me to review your book but I hope others here will take a minute. It's expensive to produce a book and a good review definitely helps recover costs.

Thank you, Peter. I hope no one gives me a review similar to the one mentioned on the back of your book: "Don't ever touch me there again!" and other equally hilarious ones.

brett
09-07-2016, 02:53 PM
Jackie, thank you so much for that amazing gift in our bag, it was a highlight of my return trip. I don't think I put it down for more than 10 minutes. My only gripe is that I finished it in less than a day..... looking forward to the double volume. I knew most of the names but not the stories and after reading it I'm I awe with the company I somehow stumbled into. I got the weirdo part down, still working on the sailing side of things!

Peter, yours was the first book I packed. Forget where I got turned onto it and it didn't disappoint. A classic no doubt. Hilarious. Thank you.

peter00
09-15-2016, 08:45 AM
Thanks for your kind words Brett. I was very lucky that Lee Shore Blues became something of an instant cult classic when I published it. It was unfortunate that apparently that particular cult only had eight members.

mike cunningham
09-15-2016, 05:44 PM
OK, well now I got to buy Lee Shore Blues. I have never joined a cult but I say if you're gonna join a cult, join an exclusive one. That way you can complain to the management if things get wacky.

Intermission
09-15-2016, 07:46 PM
As one of the eight, I'll say Lee Shore Blues is a good read and over way too quickly.

Philpott
09-15-2016, 08:52 PM
As one of the eight, I'll say Lee Shore Blues is a good read and over way too quickly.

As another of the eight, I savored it until ... damn! It was all over! Peter is very funny. I understand that he is writing another book. Certainly I'll buy that one, too.