PDA

View Full Version : Return Delivery

pogen
07-27-2016, 02:19 PM
As of today, you can still track two boats, TEMERITY and SEAZED ASSET on the SHTP tracker. Both presently heading north and making good time coming home from Kauai.

http://www.pinnacletracking.com/live/Map.aspx?shtp

Srwsails
07-28-2016, 03:05 PM
As of today, you can still track two boats, TEMERITY and SEAZED ASSET on the SHTP tracker. Both presently heading north and making good time coming home from Kauai.

http://www.pinnacletracking.com/live/Map.aspx?shtp

Shoot didn't know they could keep the trackers. Mouton Noir is also on its way back. Tracking it via Pacific Seafarers which is only once per day. All seem to be doing well.

pogen
07-29-2016, 12:02 PM
return tracker rental was a paid option on the original jibeset registration. Both boats making good time as of today.

Srwsails
07-29-2016, 12:43 PM
return tracker rental was a paid option on the original jibeset registration. Both boats making good time as of today.

I suspect Mike paid but didn't pay attention. I clipped it off as soon as he got there. Oh well.
Mouton Noir reports Seazed Asset is have auto pilot problems. Evidently the clutch won't engage. At least that's what it sounded like he said. Hand steering. Hope they get it fixed.

Susan

pogen
07-31-2016, 12:46 PM
Temerity has overcome Seazed Asset's East and North lead, and is now about 40 nm north of Seazed. They are about 600 nm due north of Kauai, still heading up to go over the High. Here are a few recent communications...

=================

All seems ok. Slow going. Weather looking ugly if the high stays north.
Winds below 25 so far.

=================

Race on, we are chasing Seazed.

Michael left same day we did. He has 300+ gallons of fuel and is using
it all. He is about 60 miles ahead as of last night. We did a VHF to SSB
through Eliz. Ann last night.

BobJ
07-31-2016, 12:57 PM
Is Brian returning one of the boats?

DaveH
07-31-2016, 02:56 PM
yes, he is returning Temerity

DH

mike cunningham
08-03-2016, 03:45 PM
yes, he is returning Temerity

DH

I spoke to Brian on VHF as I passed him coming out of Nawiliwili. He said he had a crew of two in addition to himself. Looking good when I passed by.

Hopefully they didn't run into the Navy like I did coming around Kahala Point. It was raining with visibility of about 1/4 mile. A coastie comes up on VHF warning me to stay at least a mile away from the Navy ships. I was trying to be courteous but I couldn't see a mile and certainly could not see any Navy ships to stay a mile away from. There was no AIS so I kinda played cat and mouse with them for awhile.

Its funny to see a little old Coast Guard cutter protecting the big bad Navy ships from us inconvenient Citizens. Apparently there was some protest activity regarding the RIMPAC exercises so maybe they were on the lookout for protesters.

Anyone see this Rimpac video? Pretty impressive although God forbid you got caught in the middle of that. I can hear Mike Jefferson on the VHF: "Make a hole people, I am a sailing vessel under sail with limited maneuverability!!" ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GddhlktmJ-A

pogen
08-03-2016, 04:24 PM
Well the freighters are very cooperative about diverting course if they are anywhere near you.

TEMERITY and SEAZED are both at near 40N now, just starting to get some East in the courses.

Today's report from Temerity:

No big news. Sailed on Pelagic wind mode for the last 15 hours. WOrks
fine with your wind instruments. NEver have to touch the sheets or alter
course manually as we sail along with an AWA = 45-50. m\V GLobal Lag
sailed by at 0545 with a CPA of 4 miles. She altered course a tad to avoid.

Winds steady at about 12. Have been sailing with the #3 and sometimes a
reef, or not, in the main for this entire trip. Likely the bottom paint
on the port side is worn off from so much use.

pogen
08-03-2016, 04:25 PM
I can hear Mike Jefferson on the VHF: "Make a hole people, I am a sailing vessel under sail with limited maneuverability!!" ;)

I find the twin anchors on Mike's bow pretty intimidating, even the Navy wouldn't like their paint scratched.

Srwsails
08-03-2016, 06:03 PM
I find the twin anchors on Mike's bow pretty intimidating, even the Navy wouldn't like their paint scratched.

Mouton Noir only has limited manuverability around docks. The designer of Garcias's, upon hearing complaints retorted "it's designed for the ocean, not docks".

And it doesn't carry 300 + gallons. Only about 220'and then 8 jugs we filled. A lot was used for power on the way over since the sun didn't cooperate. :p

Yes the anchors could cause some damage. We won't talk about our docking in Comox up in B C.
But I'm still jonesing for a Rockna.

Since Mike shouldn't be complaining about manuerability at sea it'll need to be something else. Ummmm.

Susan

Philpott
08-05-2016, 07:42 PM
This from Brian Boschma on Temerity:

we had been eating backpack food, but I couldn't take it any more. Made a lentil and rice dish with canned chicken and some fresh sauteed onions. Topped that off with a bit of pinot noir, not to be confused with Mouton Noir, who is about 100 miles to the north.

The boat handles the same as mine. I would alter a few things in the kitchen to make cooking safer. It is very painful to cook when on starboard tack upwind, and we have been on starboard for, are you ready, 244 1/2 hours, but who is counting.

We will arrive in GRand hopefully in 9 more days. The weather has been really challenging. We are alomst as far north as the oregon border and going further.

Philpott
08-05-2016, 07:51 PM
Termirity update
T
temerity
to me, svmoutonnoir, wdi6622, +1
1 hour agoDetails

1813 PDT Aug 5: 40-48, 149-53
Winds ESE at 10. Course 70T. Seas 2 to 4 and chop. Water temp is down a ggod amount from two days ago. Weather has been less than compliant with our plans. This is the 269 th hour of beating into the wind. A few hours of motoring to date, having consumed 10 gallons of diesel. The gribs keep teasing us with a supposed shift to the NE which would allow us to point at SF, followed by a swing to the N and a reach. We are beginning to believe this is an illusion. If this persists we're headed for Portland.

BB

And this from
John Woodworth on Owl

Yikes. We are facing similar illusions with the trades more north than east. We are still making Commanders waypoints though.

mike cunningham
08-06-2016, 08:37 AM
I have a Marine Traffic station on the Delta (#2880) and logged in this morning to have a look at Delta traffic. I noticed much broader pacific coverage that I had seen previously. Apparently Marine Traffic is acquiring AIS signals via satellite. Maybe this has been going on for awhile but I had not seen it before.

In any event they charge extra for vessel names and data they are tracking via satellite but a couple of the targets look suspiciously like our Temerity, Seized Asset, Mouton Noir. Owl and so on. The positions seem to match up pretty well.

Philpott
08-07-2016, 02:51 PM
More from Temerity:

We have had issues. I think I sent that to you. Latest was a torn main and a frozen engine. All repaired at this point, not without a bit of diesel sprayed all over me late last night. We have video on that little episode.

I want to say, the most prized position on this boat is a single cushion. Only one on the entire boat. On it are stenciled the words, "Dura Mater". Thanks for tossing that aboard.

Philpott
08-07-2016, 02:53 PM
Silliness Offshore
or
The Northing of Michael J

By Steve Hodges
Philosopher Poet 04 Aug 2016 rev A

There are strange things done by the Hawaiian sun
To the sailors who sail for the islands and back
The tropical squalls had seen it all
Until the Northing of Michael J

Now, Michael J was from San Jose
But he kept his black boat on the bay
Mighty Mouton Noir, a sheep of y’aar
Had sailed thousands of miles in her day

Michael J and his black solent sloop
Raced to Hawaii in ship-shape dapper style
A regular Ritz with a fresh daily spritz
Was how Michael drew for the Garden Isle

So, after sixteen days underway, Mouton
Dipped her hook in glittering Hanalei Bay
And after a rest, with foulies all pressed,
Michael decided ‘we’ll have no more delay!’

So ‘twas anchor aweigh, let’s sail away!’
And into the trades which blew her forth
With all sails set, Mouton roared like a jet
Leaving a foamy white wake in her spray

The plan for this lamb was to jam North
Until the day San Fran was broadly abeam
Then turn starboard for home and reach
Far East for the golden gateway and bay

Mouton Noir, that sailing sheep of y’aar
Gracefully pulled her hull thru the waves
And when she reached the 38th floor
She, per plan, tugged at her starboard rein

But the Pacific high was not yet nigh
And the skipper needed his fix
So he held his resolve and continued
The plod to the North, oh! so far away!

The Pacific high, in cahoots with the sky
Kept slipping ‘neath the horizon’s veil
And thus Mouton was compelled to sail
Into the teeth of the fabled alley of gale

Northern winds are cold and wail
Screeching thru any ship’s riggings
But the crew of the good bovine ship
Stoically withheld their dip misgivings

And so they sailed on with fears un-availed
Into the cold water and long days of the North
Expecting all awhile to be tossed like hay baled
With nothing to save them but raw cabbage

But even two salty heads asea on a sled
Faced chipping ice with deeply felt dread
That chore wore their Cally blood cold
Inspiring a new sailing plan, less bold

‘Twas the sight of a white ‘bergs afloe
Caused Mouton’s Northing to slow
And, to the relief of her chilled crew
Her mutton bow to the south drew

And so with wave froth lapping her derriere
Mouton, sailed hard on the billowing air,
And, bringing relief to dear reader’s ear,
Her muse will now trade his pen for a beer

(With a nod to Service and apology to Sam McGee)

Philpott
08-07-2016, 02:54 PM
4 am 080716

Weather was the usual beat to the NE. We are closing in on Seattle but our goal has been San Francisco. The weather guru's are saying all should get better as the HP system descends below us and the wind shift to the N - NE. We are at 41-37N 147-39W. That elusive forecast is always 24 hours away.

The delivery main, AKA old racing main, decided to tear from luff the leech in the 15 kt breeze. On went the new racing main.

The evening was capped by a failing engine. After an hour of diagnosis we found water in the fuel. Drained that, bled the system, managed to over pressurize a RACOR seal and spray fuel all over the mechanic and assistant. It all started running again and we will keep an eye out for more water contamination.

Winds are light tonight, temps are cooling. Hoping for some downwind sailing someday.

Philpott
08-07-2016, 04:08 PM
This from Seazed Asset: Please don't try to contact him. Batteries are very low.

Hi,

The water pump is NOT repairable, sad to say.

We have been sailing only from Friday and now the rest of the way home. We have no way to charge the batteries and shut all non needed items down. We are saving some juice for the SSB, every three days and the GPS.

Conditions have been light but good. Made progress every day. We will be turning more for SF today. I just called Commanders Weather and asked for a three day routing. Looks like we will go a bit more east, to catch the N winds. That should happen about 140 W.

We have plenty of food and water and boat is sailing well.

Do NOT email back. I need to save batteries for Commanders Weather routing.

Position as of 1200 PDT 44 48N 144 34W

Vance and Steve

pogen
08-08-2016, 04:39 PM
The Pinnacle map and the individual DeLorme maps are showing strangely different locations for some of the boats -- it looks like that SEAZED and TEMERITY are now about 1000 nm from the Gate though, so if the winds are at all kind we might see them back in 7 days.

Philpott
08-09-2016, 10:11 PM
From Temerity August 7
2025 PDT 41-45, 143-15. SOG 5 kts. Wind zero. Swell mostly ship wakes.

At this moment there are 7 ships on the AIS within a 20 mile radius. We have been averaging 3 a day for the past two to three days. This is like the Santa Barbara beach on a Saturday.

Events: Caught 18 lb tuna at 10 am on home made lure. Went swimming. Repaired temp sensor on engine. Poorly seated push on connector on new sensor. Bird has be friended us and is hanging out on poop deck. Settling in with big tuna fillets for dinner.

To follow Seazed Asset and Temerity go here: http://www.pinnacletracking.com/live/Map.aspx?shtp

Srwsails
08-12-2016, 09:53 AM
A little black sheep whispered in my ear that there is no soap on Temerity.
Who wants to catch their lines ?? :p

pogen
08-12-2016, 10:18 AM
A little black sheep whispered in my ear that there is no soap on Temerity.
Who wants to catch their lines ?? :p

Yes there is... maybe not Irish Spring, but several things that would work.

pogen
08-12-2016, 10:23 AM
Temerity track as of 8:24AM. They went over 42deg N. Doing really well in the face of very unfavorable wx!

BobJ
08-13-2016, 04:39 PM
MarineTraffic.com had the black sheep at 38 22N and 124 53W a half-hour ago, heading ESE at 5.7 knots.

pogen
08-13-2016, 08:37 PM
MarineTraffic.com had the black sheep at 38 22N and 124 53W a half-hour ago, heading ESE at 5.7 knots.

Nice, only about 100 nm outside the Gate.

see: https://www.vesselfinder.com/?mmsi=366857760

Philpott
08-13-2016, 08:55 PM
Nice, only about 100 nm outside the Gate. see: https://www.vesselfinder.com/?mmsi=366857760

So, early afternoon tomorrow? Grand Marina. Cold beer and Irish Spring.

Srwsails
08-13-2016, 08:57 PM
Nice, only about 100 nm outside the Gate.

see: https://www.vesselfinder.com/?mmsi=366857760

Yup! He's predicting a 9ish landing but I thought that seemed a little early. I forgot to ask him if he's motoring yet or when he plans to do so. He said "now don't do anything special". Ah, well all I was planning to do is show up with a cinnamon roll. Geesh, was he thinking I might have a marching band or something? Maybe I should eat the cinnamon roll myself. I'm just hoping the slip sublet has moved on. Off shore sailors are a funny lot, eh?

Srwsails
08-13-2016, 09:01 PM
So, early afternoon tomorrow? Grand Marina. Cold beer and Irish Spring.

For Mouton? Grand Marina, no. Marina Village yes. Soap not necessary. Plenty on board including Dove. And def no beer. I was informed today that they still have mucho beer in the fridge and lots of wine in the cellar....well actually the wine cellar is a special little alcove under the table. I just hope he protected the bottles in clean socks!

He said they are shaving and showering before arrival. How civilized.

Srwsails
08-13-2016, 09:03 PM
How to track Temerity and Seazed? The tracker seems to have run out of spooze....where should I be looking?

Philpott
08-13-2016, 09:04 PM
http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:428190/mmsi:366857760/imo:0/vessel:MOUTON_NOIR

Nice photo.

Srwsails
08-13-2016, 09:19 PM
http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:428190/mmsi:366857760/imo:0/vessel:MOUTON_NOIR

Nice photo.

Picture from the start of 2012 SHTP. I might switch it out for a Hanalei Bay photo.

BobJ
08-14-2016, 10:03 AM
For those who don't FacePlant - Steve just posted this:

Philpott
08-14-2016, 10:39 AM
For those who don't FacePlant - Steve just posted this:

Jeez! Is he on an airforce carrier? What is the ETA? Oh, never mind. I see the title: Approaching the Gate! Very cool.

pogen
08-14-2016, 12:18 PM
Temerity tracker at
https://share.delorme.com/share/SHTPTEMERITY password: shtp

I don't have a working link for SEAZED.

At 12:16PM PDT Mouton Noir is in the Estuary about 1 nm from Marina Villiage, so if you are reading this they are probably already in their home berth.

Temerity last report was of "sucky weather" , they are sailing more to the south now for some reason.

Submarino
08-14-2016, 04:59 PM
Where is Brian docking?

Joe B. Archimedes

Srwsails
08-14-2016, 06:29 PM
Mouton has returned to the grazing fields. About 100 feet shy of the slip the engine died. Luckily with quick thought and manuvering she was turned down the estuary to bleed and restart the engine and get her in her slip.
A good time was had by all. Kinda.

pogen
08-15-2016, 09:10 AM
Temerity now visible on AIS

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/TEMERITY-IMO-0-MMSI-338108542

They report very rough weather passing through Gale Alley, and they hate the ship's computer for some reason. Otherwise doing well.

They should arrive sometime after midnight, at D-dock, Grand Marina, Alameda. I'll be there to let people in, I think some other family may be there.

Srwsails
08-15-2016, 04:32 PM
Seazed Asset returns with Vessel Assist
Bet they are glad to see land!

Srwsails
08-15-2016, 05:52 PM
Temerity now visible on AIS

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/TEMERITY-IMO-0-MMSI-338108542

They report very rough weather passing through Gale Alley, and they hate the ship's computer for some reason. Otherwise doing well.

They should arrive sometime after midnight, at D-dock, Grand Marina, Alameda. I'll be there to let people in, I think some other family may be there.

David, my tracking following suggests they are about 60 miles out and may be 12 to 16 hours out? Your thoughts? Perhaps the trackers I'm following are not current.
Michael and I were planning on being there. And maybe Carliane and Steve Hodges.

pogen
08-15-2016, 07:18 PM
The Delorme tracker can be out of date by a couple of hours, the AIS tracker is only a few minutes behind.

Last report:
Aug 16, 2016 02:09 UTC
37.95794 N/123.26907 W
Course/Speed:
104.2 ° / 5 kn.

That's at 1909 PDT = 0209 UTC, and they are 7 or 8 nm W of Pt Reyes, I would guess 7 hrs out, so approx 0200 arrival early Tuesday morning. When they pass under the Bay Bridge it will be ~ 1 hr.

Good job on SEAZED getting home engineless, looks like going up to 42N really paid off! Must have been cold up there.

WBChristie
08-15-2016, 07:46 PM
Saraband arrived Astoria yesterday, and Elizabeth Ann at Charleston this morning.

Srwsails
08-15-2016, 08:53 PM
The Delorme tracker can be out of date by a couple of hours, the AIS tracker is only a few minutes behind.

Thanks...I recomputed and was getting between 2 and 3 am. Not sure if that will cut down on the welcoming committee. ;)

pogen
08-16-2016, 06:36 AM
Temerity had a 3 hour delay at Pt. Bonita and will dock at about 0700 so it's still not too late to stop and say hi.

Srwsails
08-16-2016, 07:13 AM
Temerity had a 3 hour delay at Pt. Bonita and will dock at about 0700 so it's still not too late to stop and say hi.

Temerity returnS

Yeah Brian and crew!

Submarino
08-16-2016, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the updates/photos Susan and David! I am glad that everyone is back in safely!

bizirka
08-16-2016, 12:56 PM
Congrats to everyone who has returned thus far!

Shad is flying out this Saturday to deliver Kato back. His tentative plan is to leave on Monday. Is anyone else around who will be leaving at the same time? I know Brett is leaving any moment.

Jiri

pogen
08-16-2016, 12:59 PM
Probably a good thing to be leaving later, the fleet that left right after the race had pretty unfavorable wx with the High sprawled out up the the Gulf of Alaska or something. Very good sailing on all their parts to be back in 20 - 21 days.

Harrier
08-16-2016, 01:00 PM
Just saw that the son of a fellow competitor in the 2014 SHTP (Paine of the spreader problem...probable winner of the Foxfyre Trophy) has just won bronze in the Finn at the Rio olympics..
Probably to be our only medal in sailing...Way to go Caleb Paine! Pretty well came from way back in the last two races....

oldensloh
08-16-2016, 03:30 PM
Seazed Asset just got in yesterday. Vance said they had the engine water pump freeze up so no engine or autopilot for 1,500 miles or 12 days. No engine or power for pilot. The two brave souls had to hand steer the whole way. He said it was a voyage of Homeric proportions!

Shaman has hired a delivery team and the departure date is tentatively September 8th. I have three folks who are all qualified to skipper on their own, including SHTP veteran Ryan Finn (2004). Have a new Dacron jib I bought from David Hodges. That’s your report from Cal 40 land!

oldensloh
08-16-2016, 03:31 PM
Just saw that the son of a fellow competitor in the 2014 SHTP (Paine of the spreader problem...probable winner of the Foxfyre Trophy) has just won bronze in the Finn at the Rio olympics..
Probably to be our only medal in sailing...Way to go Caleb Paine! Pretty well came from way back in the last two races....

Go Team USA! Probably our only medal.

BobJ
08-21-2016, 11:50 AM
Any word on John and OWL?

mike cunningham
08-21-2016, 03:15 PM
Congrats to everyone who has returned thus far!

Shad is flying out this Saturday to deliver Kato back. His tentative plan is to leave on Monday. Is anyone else around who will be leaving at the same time? I know Brett is leaving any moment.

Jiri

Jacqueline just departed Hanalei Bay Sunday morning with local guys Mark Brewer and Jeremy King sailing her back. Kato was lying quietly at anchor looking like she was ready to go home.

mike cunningham
08-21-2016, 04:13 PM
Margie, hang In there. You will work through it and be back sailing soon enough. You will ultimately look at this as just one of those tougher adventures for you and Haunani.

Mike

dolfinbill
08-22-2016, 09:26 AM
Dolfin arrived safely in Catalina Saturday night after a 23-1/2 day passage from Nawiliwili and a swim about half way across to cut a large fishing net off the prop. Resting, showering and finally enjoying some sun before the final 85 miles to San Diego.

Bill Meanley
Dolfin

WBChristie
08-22-2016, 10:15 AM
Dolfin arrived safely in Catalina Saturday night after a 23-1/2 day passage from Nawiliwili and a swim about half way across to cut a large fishing net off the prop. Resting, showering and finally enjoying some sun before the final 85 miles to San Diego.

Bill Meanley
Dolfin

Great news Bill!
Gary

mike cunningham
08-23-2016, 12:31 PM
Looks like Pakala is off and running again. Jacqueline is at 25 by 158. I am receiving her AIS signal via satellite. That is pretty cool.

mike cunningham
08-23-2016, 12:32 PM

Bill Meanley
Dolfin

Bill,

Congrats, and thanks again for the Negra Modelo!!!

bizirka
08-23-2016, 12:56 PM
Shad and Kato have just left! Looks like beautiful weather.

They can be followed here:
https://share.delorme.com/JiRiandKaTo

He is following a commanders weather/routing report. "Routing… Tight to the wind sailing getting to near 38n at 148-150w before tacking to port and heading E "

oregonian
08-23-2016, 01:47 PM
Tortuga will be leaving from Oahu Thursday morning. Aug 25th.

mike cunningham
08-23-2016, 05:21 PM
Jacqueline's tracker is here

https://share.delorme.com/svjacqueline

dolfinbill
08-23-2016, 05:40 PM
Mike,
Glad Jacqueline is on the way home. It was really hard to give up those beers but you caught me at a week moment.

Bill Meanley
Dolfin

pogen
08-23-2016, 05:49 PM
Why did Kato and Jacqueline go back to Hanalei after being in Nawiliwili?

dolfinbill
08-23-2016, 06:06 PM
Here is the fish net I had to cut off my prop about half way on the return trip. I've done two returns from Hawaii and both times I had to do this.

dolfinbill
08-23-2016, 06:11 PM
Also here is my return crew, thanks to the awards ceremony at NYC. Couldn't have done it without them.

Bill Meanley
Dolfin

Srwsails
08-23-2016, 06:12 PM

Did Kato ever go to Nawiliwili? I thought Jiri was keeping her in Hanalei but I'm not sure. I'm never sure.

mike cunningham
08-23-2016, 06:32 PM

I don't think Kato ever went to Nawiliwili. Jacqueline spent several weeks there. We went back to Hanalei for several reasons

a. I wanted to introduce the boat to to return crew while under sail
b. The return crew had a hot date with a boatload of chicks in Hanalei - probably reason number one in their minds!
c. We had to do the Kilauea light thing - actually this was decided upon about 3/4 of the way to Hanalei.

Since I had no dingy I got to swim in to my rental car at the beach park - man that was lot longer swim than it appeared

Philpott
08-23-2016, 06:59 PM
Also here is my return crew, thanks to the awards ceremony at NYC. Couldn't have done it without them. 1720 Bill Meanley Dolfin

That looks like Flippy's brother! Or is it his sister? Wow. That family gets around.

brianb
08-23-2016, 07:38 PM
Looks like a great crew ! Did they compute the ETA on an hourly basis and then tell you when you would arrive ? Great to see you are home.
Brian

bizirka
08-24-2016, 09:20 AM
Kato stayed in Hanalei bay the entire time - thanks to the locals providing me with a nice mooring ball.

Srwsails
08-24-2016, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE][man that was lot longer swim than it appeared
/QUOTE]

Ha ha! It's a mirage. It looks so doable from the boat or from the shore. Then .....

bizirka
08-24-2016, 05:43 PM
This just in from shad, "Outboard track worked, boats taking a lot of waves over the bow. Been having to pump out 3 buckets every 4 hours."

He got a bit sick the first day, but feeling better now. Hopefully things cool off as predicted.

mike cunningham
08-24-2016, 06:07 PM
I am continuing to get excellent satellite tracking of jacqueline's ais signal. Really impressed with the consistent results. Now that the crew has recharged the delorme, it is back to working too. Ha ha, I feel like big brother.

Just a bit more bandwidth and we could get live video :cool:

WBChristie
08-24-2016, 10:02 PM
This just in from shad, "Outboard track worked, boats taking a lot of waves over the bow. Been having to pump out 3 buckets every 4 hours."

He got a bit sick the first day, but feeling better now. Hopefully things cool off as predicted.

Has he delivered a boat single-handed across an ocean before?

bizirka
08-25-2016, 09:50 AM
No - not singlehanded.

BobJ
08-25-2016, 02:50 PM
There are a couple purple targets out at 129W - anybody we know?

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-126/centery:38/zoom:8

(Click + and - if the chart comes up empty.)

mike cunningham
08-25-2016, 07:26 PM
I see the targets you referring to but I am only allowed one vessel for AIS satellite tracking and that is set up for Jacqueline. I can't tell who these guys are. Maybe Owl or Patience or both?? see below

With regard to our SHTP boats:

Pakala, Kato and Jacqueline left within a day or two of each other (around 21 Aug) so they are still way out SouthWest.

Shaman is leaving on or about 7 September according to Tom

Tortuga is lying Ko Olina awaiting David's return to do the sail back cause Randy had to work

Not sure where Althea is but she was in Nawiliwili not too long ago, I don't think she can be that far East yet.

Elizabeth Ann, Dolphin, Temerity, Seized Engine...I mean Asset, Mouton Noir, and Saraband are confirmed home. Well, Dolphin was in Catalina, but that counts as home.

Dom, Fast Lane, Giant Slayer, Haunani, Libra, Minibar, Nina, Taz!!, and Ventus are all on, or will soon be on, "das boot".

I think that's everybody.

So where are

Althea
Owl
Patience

???

bizirka
08-25-2016, 08:33 PM
I just got word that Shad turned around. He has been sick since he left with no sign of getting better. Looks like the islands will get hit with some weather early next week and its prudent to turn around earlier than later so he can get to the island before it hits. It was a hard decision for him to make and I certainly support it and hope he gets to land safely and feels better soon. Looks like I will have to look for a plan B.

Jiri

BobJ
08-25-2016, 09:41 PM
Chris's VENTUS will be offloaded tomorrow so my trailer is available. It would require some minor mods to fit an Olson 30 (shorten the stands). Otherwise it goes back out to storage on Tuesday.

Shipping is expensive but if you're interested: BobsailsSF at Yahoo

WBChristie
08-25-2016, 10:04 PM
Patience arrived Brookings, Oregon last Saturday.

DaveH
08-26-2016, 07:55 AM
Chris's VENTUS will be offloaded tomorrow so my trailer is available. It would require some minor mods to fit an Olson 30 (shorten the stands). Otherwise it goes back out to storage on Tuesday.

Shipping is expensive but if you're interested: BobsailsSF at Yahoo

Jiri -
Ditto Bob's offer with Domino's trailer, though my trailer lives in Alameda.
My stands may be closer to O30 height, but Bobs rig is way spiffier.

I did confirm with Matson for Mike Cunningham that they would retroactively offer the same rates [such as they are] for a later shipment.

I'll relaunch Dom on Tuesday, picking up from Matson today.
on a related note, this means our trophies are here... PM me and we can figure out a time to get yours to you.

Best,
DH

bizirka
08-26-2016, 11:39 AM
Bob/Dave - thank you kindly for the offer! I will begin assessing all the options (including shipping if I can afford it) after Shad gets back safely.

Am I correct in thinking, from a weather perspective, delivery season shuts down in the next month or so and opens up in April again?

Jiri

BobJ
08-26-2016, 07:19 PM
Yes, the end of September is about it from what I've heard over the years. But a weather router could give you more specific info. I like Rick Shema, who is in Hawaii: WeatherGuy.com. He can give you a general idea and then provide more precise departure advise for a fee - well worth it in my experience.

hodgmo
08-26-2016, 08:40 PM
Yes, the end of September is about it from what I've heard over the years. But a weather router could give you more specific info. I like Rick Shema, who is in Hawaii: WeatherGuy.com. He can give you a general idea and then provide more precise departure advise for a fee - well worth it in my experience.

I 2nd the endorsement of Rick Shema, weatherguy. I've engaged him several times for Frolic passages and have been satisfied with his product. The 1st time i was exposed to his service was in Oct 2004 when i was one of four who crewed on a delivery of Azul from Ko Olina to Santa Barbara. Azul, a SC 52 from the bay, did the Pac Cup and then was sold to Jim Cushman who wanted her in SB. We left Oahu in mid-October and slammed N into strong trades for a week. During an '0-dark-thirty squall' and headsail change, we accidentally jibed and our skipper, Dave Wyman, was crunched against a primary by the main sheet tackle. Turned out to be 6 broken ribs but at the time we didn't know (we contacted medical help via Ham). Anyway, with our skipper/navigator only able to work 'part-time,' it was nice to have Rick Shema's routing and eye out for us. In fact, when a big L came roaring toward us from Alaska he advised we turn E early (~N34) which we did and were able to sail most of the way under the H (as the General has done many times, and Dolfin just did) and made it to SB before what turned out to be a pretty significant storm battered a good part of the W coast (~4 Nov). We averaged a bit over 7 kts and our elapsed was 14 days 3 hrs.

BobJ
08-26-2016, 09:16 PM
Just sent to me from John Woodworth's dockmate, Nick Salvador:

"I've been in contact with OWL 2x a day for ...ever. His furler took a dump on him, so his headsail is on or off, no in between. When the breeze has been up, he's been limited to his staysail and main. At the moment he's just inside of 130W in light air making around 4 kts and getting ready to spark up the noisemaker later this evening. He has 300 nm to go. Feel free to post this along to the SSS gang if they're interested. He should be back late Sunday/early Monday."

Srwsails
08-27-2016, 08:10 PM
Just sent to me from John Woodworth's dockmate, Nick Salvador:

"I've been in contact with OWL 2x a day for ...ever. His furler took a dump on him, so his headsail is on or off, no in between. When the breeze has been up, he's been limited to his staysail and main. At the moment he's just inside of 130W in light air making around 4 kts and getting ready to spark up the noisemaker later this evening. He has 300 nm to go. Feel free to post this along to the SSS gang if they're interested. He should be back late Sunday/early Monday."

Thank you Nick. We really enjoyed getting to know John and have been wondering about his progress. Unfortunately (kinda) we are in the Mtns and won't be able to greet him.

mike cunningham
08-29-2016, 10:46 AM
Pakala is at 34.25 x 154 at 8 Kts!! as of this morn

Jacqueline is at 34.9 x 152 at 5.5 Kts

Philpott
08-29-2016, 11:54 AM
Pakala is at 34.25 x 154 at 8 Kts!! as of this morn; Jacqueline is at 34.9 x 152 at 5.5 Kts

Thanks, Mike! I received an email from Joe's son asking about Jacqueline. I told him to look here because you were posting some funny videos. Do you have any more? It's great to see you harrassing your crew. What next?

mike cunningham
08-29-2016, 04:21 PM
Yea, Joe and I have traded texts. At least he will talk to me. My crew is antisocial but I don't care as long as Jax is making progress.

I been keeping Joe up to date on critical news, specifically the latest from Weiner. I figured that would give Joe something to laugh about.

mike cunningham
08-29-2016, 04:27 PM
Well, I do not have any funny videos but I do have an educational video I will share. It contains a g rated Introduction to the "bucket head". When I told them the actual head did not work, I provided the crew with a simulation demo. Maybe that's why I have not heard from them...you think?

bizirka
08-30-2016, 12:10 PM
Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you guys/gals know that Kato is now a permanent Kauai resident. He has joined the ever-growing fleet of Olson 30s that race regularly out of Nawiliwili.

Upon Kato's arrival back to Kauai I considered all options and did lots of math. The only option I could afford was to sell Kato or keep him there until I could return him myself or find another deliver group to take him back. Commanders was telling me the delivery window from Kauai looks pretty compromised for the near term (there are some windows but timing a delivery on short notice would be hard) and my insurance company actually immediately dropped my coverage when they heard a 30+ year old boat was in Hawaii. Ughh.. Keeping Kato there for 6 months was certainly a possibility, but Nawiliwili yacht harbor didn't have any long term slips and I didn't like the idea of paying moorage for a boat I can't use for half the year.

As all of this was piling up, I carefully read the Shaman account and decided I will take my time to make a decision. However, a local who helped get Shad and the boat safely into its slip, decided he was very interested in purchasing Kato and he offered a very fair price and also decided he will ship back all the 'non-beercan-racing-equipment' back to me. Which is pretty much everything.

This is bittersweet and certainly not expected. I will really miss Kato, but I look forward to the other adventures this has opened up. Say hi to Kato next time you are there :)

Philpott
08-30-2016, 12:19 PM
I wanted to let you guys/gals know that Kato is now a permanent Kauai resident. He has joined the ever-growing fleet of Olson 30s that race regularly out of Nawiliwili.

Wow! That is a big deal, and a happy ending, I think. Recently I was talking with someone who said that, while he appreciated the emotional attachment some people have with their boats, to him, a boat is just a boat. You can buy another one. And who's to say that living in Kauai would be a bad thing? Um ... not me.

That doesn't mean that you aren't still responsible for the re-entry meet and greet.

bizirka
08-30-2016, 12:31 PM
That doesn't mean that you aren't still responsible for the re-entry meet and greet.

Yes - I will post a separate thread shortly to get an idea of how many people will want to attend.

Philpott
08-31-2016, 06:53 PM
It looks like Joe Barry is making good time:

https://share.delorme.com/JosephBarry

Message from Joe: Hi Jackie,
How are you? This is a long way back.

mike cunningham
09-01-2016, 08:40 AM
Jacqueline is pretty close to Joe

40.1 x 148.7 and headed East as of 0600 PDT this morning

The Smokester
09-01-2016, 08:42 AM
s/v Owl arrived in San Francisco at 7:30a on Monday. Total sailed since July 1: 4980 NM.

mike cunningham
09-01-2016, 08:50 AM
Welcome home John!!!

That leaves Jacqueline, Pakala, Althea and Tortuga. Not sure where Althea is. Any news on Tortuga anyone?

Daydreamer
09-01-2016, 12:21 PM
s/v Owl arrived in San Francisco at 7:30a on Monday. Total sailed since July 1: 4980 NM.

Congratulation John!! and welcome back!

WBChristie
09-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Welcome home John!!!

That leaves Jacqueline, Pakala, Althea and Tortuga. Not sure where Althea is. Any news on Tortuga anyone?

Tortuga is at 36 03, 150 46

Philpott
09-06-2016, 06:48 PM
Wow. What a long way home for Joe

https://share.delorme.com/JosephBarry

mike cunningham
09-06-2016, 10:28 PM
Just traded texts with him, 3000 NM total when he gets home. Experiencing heavy seas tonight.

mike cunningham
09-06-2016, 10:32 PM
1802 sorry.
Dorking around trying to add images.

brett
09-07-2016, 01:53 PM
Happy to report Althea arrived back in the bay last night! We had an amazing sail, 20 days with a little bit of everything and less than 4hrs on the iron sail. She really took care of me.

Looking forward to the get together! Bittersweet about Kato, make sure to invite Shad.

Glad everyone is safe. It's a serious business out there!

mike cunningham
09-08-2016, 11:33 AM
Welcome home Brett!!!

And now there are four:

Jacquline - Due at the Gate late Friday night
Pakala - due in Dana Point on Sunday
Tortuga - Probably two or so weeks out.
Shaman - should have left Nawiliwili a few days ago

The Smokester
09-09-2016, 08:37 AM
Happy to report Althea arrived back in the bay last night! We had an amazing sail, 20 days with a little bit of everything and less than 4hrs on the iron sail. She really took care of me...

Glad you are back safely. Welcome home.

oldensloh
09-11-2016, 01:58 PM
Shaman left on Thursday, Sept. 8th at 9:53pm PDT. Been making really good progress northeast. They are here: https://share.delorme.com/ThomasBurden

mike cunningham
09-12-2016, 09:53 AM
Jacqueline entered the Bay early Saturday morning and returned home early Sunday morning after the crew attended a delta jazz fest on the way home.

Philpott
09-12-2016, 12:04 PM
Jacqueline entered the Bay early Saturday morning and returned home early Sunday morning after the crew attended a delta jazz fest on the way home.

good news, Mike! All three Jacquelines are now safely home.

oregonian
09-19-2016, 02:30 PM
Tortuga arrived back to Pier 39 in SF at 0810 yesterday (Sept 18th). The official passage time from Oahu was 23 days, 13 hrs, 14 mins. The return was relatively easy but slow due to the nearly continuous head winds.

mike cunningham
09-22-2016, 09:05 AM
Tortuga arrived back to Pier 39 in SF at 0810 yesterday (Sept 18th). The official passage time from Oahu was 23 days, 13 hrs, 14 mins. The return was relatively easy but slow due to the nearly continuous head winds.

Welcome home Tortuga!!

Looks like Shaman will close the book on this "great adventure".

I have started my countdown to 2018 - 646 days to go and I am retired with plenty of time to get ready - yea, I know, famous last words.

sleddog
09-25-2016, 04:07 PM
Shaman left on Thursday, Sept. 8th at 9:53pm PDT. Been making really good progress northeast. They are here: https://share.delorme.com/ThomasBurden

SHAMAN on AIS at 4 pm, PDST, about 25 miles from Moss Landing, reaching at 7 knots.... Good passage for them, in just under 17 days. Welcome Home!

sleddog
09-25-2016, 04:07 PM

SHAMAN on AIS at 4 pm PDST, inbound from Kauai and about 30 miles from Moss Landing, reaching at 7 knots.... Good passage for them, in ~17 days. Welcome Home!

oldensloh
09-26-2016, 03:28 PM
Yup Capitola neighbor Sleddog, Shaman made it home in very good condition. Great delivery team of skipper Shelly Galligan with Ryan Finn (SHTP 2004) and Eric Bowen. All three of them were highly qualified as skippers in their own right. A few minor problems but the engine, electronics and other systems performed with nearly flawless perfection. They did a lot of upwind sailing of course but also quite a bit of spinnaker work with the 1 1/2 ounce kite and reaching with the jib top. All three of the crew folks now “get it” about why Cal 40s are great boats. Ryan was impressed with how well balanced the boat was in 18 knots with the spinnaker, saying he could let go of the tiller and the boat would sail itself in a straight line. They had a couple of 24-hour day’s runs of 180+ miles and some reaching in 35 knots with big waves and only the #3.

So the 2016 SHTP is now officially history.