PDA

View Full Version : With heavy heart and light wallet

mike cunningham
07-31-2016, 03:45 PM
The idyllic days in Nahwiliwili have come to an end. I had originally planned to sail back but injury, boat damage and just plain fatigue got in the way. I decided to hang out for a week and slowly clean up the boat while I enjoyed, really enjoyed, the harbor routine. Good cup of coffee in the morning, update my journal, accomplish a few boat to dos, drink some beer, check out the daily catch as the fishermen came in (man, I need to charter a boat next time, a Marlin, big tuna, etc.) Say hello to various sundry sailors who are hanging out, watch the sunset behind the mountains get some zzs and start again.

I tell you, this could get addictive. But off to the real world to sort out the return of my boat. I wonder if I ever want to return.

Philpott
07-31-2016, 04:20 PM
The idyllic days in Nahwiliwili have come to an end. I had originally planned to sail back but injury, boat damage and just plain fatigue got in the way. I decided to hang out for a week and slowly clean up the boat while I enjoyed, really enjoyed, the harbor routine. Good cup of coffee in the morning, update my journal, accomplish a few boat to dos, drink some beer, check out the daily catch as the fishermen came in (man, I need to charter a boat next time, a Marlin, big tuna, etc.) Say hello to various sundry sailors who are hanging out, watch the sunset behind the mountains get some zzs and start again.

I tell you, this could get addictive. But off to the real world to sort out the return of my boat. I wonder if I ever want to return.

Didn't you just retire? Why can't you stay?

Gamayun
07-31-2016, 04:21 PM
The subject heading of this post made my heart sink thinking that you were selling Jacqueline, too. What a life, huh?

Sigh. When I get to Nawiliwili in two years, I plan to keep on going :)

Keep us posted, Mike, on how you're getting the boat back. Good luck!

mike cunningham
07-31-2016, 10:43 PM
Oh no, not selling or even thinking of that. Just reflecting on the end of a great adventure.

oldensloh
08-01-2016, 11:32 AM
Hi Mike,
I saw your title and had the same reaction as Gamayun. Glad you are OK and not needing to sell the boat! I am in process of finding a delivery skipper and have a couple of good leads. If you want help with finding someone I can share info. Send me a personal message and we can chat when you’re back.

Tom

DaveH
08-01-2016, 12:38 PM
Mike -
Finally heard back from Matson - they are willing to extend the same "transpac deal" to you if you still want to a use Dom's trailer to send Jacqueline back.

PM or call me for specifics

DH

captleasure
08-01-2016, 05:26 PM
Team Tortuga has the post race blues too! I think maybe a group therapy session will be in order... good luck with your return trip. Tortuga awaits her delivery back to SF in Ko Olina on Oahu. A very relaxing place and one of the calmest marina's i've even been in.

BobJ
08-01-2016, 05:57 PM
Synthia (R/C) put on a post-race "Tree" back here after the 2008 race. Maybe you all should consider that.

After I got back and recommissioned Rags, I was sitting below kinda dejected and decided to put her on the market. Several weeks later I snapped out of it and canceled the ads. It can hit you that way.

Philpott
08-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Synthia (R/C) put on a post-race "Tree" back here after the 2008 race. Maybe you all should consider that.

After I got back and recommissioned Rags, I was sitting below kinda dejected and decided to put her on the market. Several weeks later I snapped out of it and canceled the ads. It can hit you that way.

Maybe they can use that cheap therapist of Tom's.

Srwsails
08-01-2016, 07:24 PM

We did Meet and Greet before the race. Perhaps "Regroup and Reminisce"

Susan

mike cunningham
08-02-2016, 06:22 AM
What is bizarre is that I feel a little like the main character in "The Hurt Locker". Of course there is no comparison between combat and sailing, still, standing in Walmart deciding on a laundry detergent after sailing alone to Hawaii...its just like... wow.

You wander around with this experience and accomplishment banging around in your head... now what? I'm sure it will wear off soon enough but it is an interesting feeling.

mike cunningham
08-02-2016, 06:35 AM
I was down to Pineapple yesterday with my damaged jib and Kame tell's me "That thing looks OK for a downwind trip to Hawaii but it's too full for good windward performance, why don't we build you a new sail for next year's racing?"

I say "OK, why not?"

Gamayun
08-02-2016, 08:05 PM
I was down to Pineapple yesterday with my damaged jib and Kame tell's me "That thing looks OK for a downwind trip to Hawaii but it's too full for good windward performance, why don't we build you a new sail for next year's racing?"

I say "OK, why not?"

But of course you said "yes." Was there any other possible answer....?!?

Philpott
08-02-2016, 09:10 PM

I say "OK, why not?"

The saga continues

mike cunningham
08-02-2016, 09:12 PM
Ha Ha, my Wife was with me when Kame came up with the quote for a new sail. She called me over. I'm thinking, here it comes, "you are not spending a flight and nice weekend in Seattle with our Son on a new sail". She actually said "don't waste money on repairing that ratty old thing, buy the new sail." After I recovered from my utter astonishment I sort of blankly nodded at Kame and said gimme the new sail.

BobJ
08-02-2016, 09:25 PM
Wow - that has NEVER happened to me. Around here it's equal cost - my last full suit of sails cost me a baby grand, all 88 keys worth. What's your secret?

Philpott
08-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Ha Ha, my Wife was with me when Kame came up with the quote for a new sail. She called me over. I'm thinking, here it comes, "you are not spending a flight and nice weekend in Seattle with our Son on a new sail". She actually said "don't waste money on repairing that ratty old thing, buy the new sail." After I recovered from my utter astonishment I sort of blankly nodded at Kame and said gimme the new sail.

It's that famous race! It is SUCH a chick magnet!

Steevee
08-03-2016, 09:00 AM

That's love.

Gamayun
08-03-2016, 12:37 PM
It's that famous race! It is SUCH a chick magnet!

Huh, whaaat?!? Not a dude magnet, Jackie? I might have to rethink this race then.

Mike, give your wife an extra big hug. I've never heard that happening either!

Daydreamer
08-03-2016, 02:23 PM

Mike, You ARE the man !:cool:

captleasure
08-04-2016, 04:24 PM
I think a SH transpac-er reunion event would be cool. maybe something like all meet at angel island on a specific saturday for a bbq/picnic of reminiscing etc? thoughts?

mike cunningham
08-05-2016, 09:23 AM
Yep, I think that is a great idea. Course you know how it goes around here. If we think it is a great idea we will probably be the ones who need to organize it.

MIke

bizirka
08-05-2016, 09:46 AM
I was thinking about organizing one in Sausalito in October when Althea is back from his 3-4 month vacation (lucky bugger). Why sausalito? Because i live there :) Let me know if this gets traction and I will 'officially' do it. Otherwise, very happy to attend if elsewhere.

Gamayun
08-05-2016, 12:15 PM
Cool! Do you guys plan to invite the race committee (hint, hint)?

DaveH
08-05-2016, 02:45 PM
I was thinking about organizing one in Sausalito in October when Althea is back from his 3-4 month vacation (lucky bugger). Why sausalito? Because i live there :) Let me know if this gets traction and I will 'officially' do it. Otherwise, very happy to attend if elsewhere.
This sounds like a great idea to me...
absolutely invite the RC, IMO

DH

Haunani
08-08-2016, 06:35 AM
I was just saying yesterday that I was so sad because I feel it all fading away like a dream in my memory......It seems so surreal and yet when I look at my videos I can feel it like it was yesterday.Good luck with all the shipping stuff Mike....Hauling and shipping my heavy ass boat was an adventure and then it all got delayed...no boat til the end of the month! Anyway....missing you all and sending lots of good juju from SoCal! I just posted an homage to you all on my blog and Jackie reposted it here as a thread (message from Haunani). I loved meeting everyone so much and sharing this experience!

JimQuanci
08-16-2016, 04:47 PM
Give it a few months... for the "itch" to return and grow... seems near half of first time bug lighters become repeat offenders. Its like being a drug addict... when the itch gets too strong the only answer is getting another fix... I have the itch (again)... sigh

hodgmo
08-16-2016, 05:21 PM
Give it a few months... for the "itch" to return and grow... seems near half of first time bug lighters become repeat offenders. Its like being a drug addict... when the itch gets too strong the only answer is getting another fix... I have the itch (again)... sigh

what he said ^

mike cunningham
08-16-2016, 10:45 PM
I am sitting in my boat at Nawiliwili right now. Sun is going down in a beautiful pink and grey cloudbank.

I got it figured out. I will be faster next time.

Yep, coming back this way in 2018.

Gamayun
08-17-2016, 12:11 AM
I am sitting in my boat at Nawiliwili right now. Sun is going down in a beautiful pink and grey cloudbank.

I got it figured out. I will be faster next time.

Yep, coming back this way in 2018.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

BobJ
08-20-2016, 08:04 AM
Oh noooo!

Margie's blog (http://www.sailinghaunani.com/blog-1/2016/8/20/heartbreak-hotel)

Gamayun
08-20-2016, 12:01 PM
Oh noooo!

Margie's blog (http://www.sailinghaunani.com/blog-1/2016/8/20/heartbreak-hotel)

Ugh ugh, ugh...though other words come to mind. This is really sad to hear, but Margie seems to have the mindset to figure it out and get it all right again. Sending BIG HUGS to you, Margie! Hang in there.

Good luck also to all the others who still don't have their boats back home. I can't even imagine how this must feel :(

pogen
08-21-2016, 09:07 AM
Ugh, did she fall off the trailer? JFC. That's so rough, I know how I would be feeling and M&H have my deepest sympathy.