PDA

View Full Version : What's on your last-minute list?

AlanH
06-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Weekend of 28th, and before 4th of of July

Vacuum up the mess from installing the SSB radio..DONE
put the second spinnaker pole on the boat...DONE
put the 12 - 110 volt inverter on the boat (to run the computer)...DONE
finish the installation of the AIS/GPS.. antenna adapter arrived today
review the first aid kit and replace expired stuff...DONE
Reeve spinnaker thong line through sleeve on 1.5 ounce chute...DONE

Fourth of July Weekend jobs:

put the Navik windvane on the boat, and bolt it on. (getting some welding done should be ready by thursday. I might wait until the 11th to do this so I can use the outboard motor to get to Tiburon, if I have to.)
put the generator on the boat and lash it down
put the liferaft on the boat it's in the garage
put the jacklines on, and wire the shackles shut...DONE
copy the liferaft documentation and put it on the boat
put the logbook (diary book) on the boat
camera and film (use up the last 3 rolls of the 35 mm film) on the boat
Put my pennywhistles, cheapo Irish flute and Bobs tunes on the boat
food shopping; basically cereal and canned fruit and soy milk
learn how to use sat phone data kit to send/receive e-mail
look at weather fx and sat photos every day

July 8th- 9th jobs

load on the food
final clean-up, tidy-up.
snap-clip the liferaft to the plywood plate I have on the cabin sole
outboard motor to the garage ???
max-charge up the handheld VHF radio and cell phone
clothes in dry-bags, on the boat
dry-bag for stinky laundry on the boat.
Bag for recycling on the boat

BobJ
07-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Some of the stuff on Alan's list (don't DO that, man - it's scary!), plus

MacLubing the spinnaker "socks," laminating my nav station "cheat sheets," going up the mast to hook the runners back on, changing an oil pipe on the engine, checking the back side of the mainsheet swivel-cam (under the cockpit, inside the engine box, underneath the insulation - uh!), then converting the boat from a floating toolbox back to a sailboat, and, and . . .

Actually one of you could save me some time here - what are the phone numbers I should put in the sat phone? (USCG S&R for Hawaii, S.F., and maybe points down the coast, buoy weather, the pizza place on the Halfway Barge, others?)

sleddog
07-01-2008, 10:36 AM
The finally (finely?) orchestrated denoument of Race Prep is almost upon us. So don't forget the soap bubbles for blowing to greet new arrivals in Hanalei.

After talking with several USCG stations from LA to SF about what phone # to program into sat phone for emergencies, the general consensus was 510-437-3700. Which is the 11th Dist USCG Headquarters/SAR in Alameda, who are used to this sort of thing and responsible for our racing area. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have the USCG Headquarters in Hono also available, which is 808-842-2600.

VHF radio and cell phone coverage in Hawaii is pretty good due to high volcano elevation of transceiver ears. I've spoken to USCG Hono on VHF 16 at 100 miles, and cell phone at 40 miles. Mileage may vary.