PDA

View Full Version : In-The-Bay, only

AlanH
09-13-2016, 05:15 PM
If you all were going to put together an "inside the Bay, only" shorthanded season from March-September, what would you do? I know there's the YRA "Shorthanded Circuit" but curious what folks actually did this year.

A given are the three SSS races that are inside the Bay.
Did anybody do the Silver Eagle solo or double? I don't see it on the Circuit. How about the Westpoint Regatta?

EDIT: never mind, just found the shorthanded results from the 2015 Westpoint Regatta.
https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=YRA_T00612296&DOC=r3&TYP=html

Eh, did the IYC not hold the Silver Eagle in 2015? Were there really only 5 boats signed up in 2014?
https://www.jibeset.net/IYC000.php?RG=T008923206

Wylieguy
09-13-2016, 05:48 PM
Alan, I tried to start this conversation a month or so ago. At that time I suggested the Sausalito YC's "Twin Island" series (3 races). The Starts are off Pt. Knot and there are two courses: (1) Around Alcatraz & Angel Islands in either direction (2) A variation that goes up to Red Rock and back. So, long legs & no short tacking. The SYC Race Committee said they'd be willing to work with a short-handed division. I suggested a separate start, 10 minutes after the regular starts so everyone but the short-handers would be gone. They thought that was workable. The Finish is back at the SYC with mooring balls & shuttle and party.

I also think some of the Tiburon YC's one-off races might work. Again there are long legs. They usually have a gathering at their YC afterward, too.

Pat

AlanH
09-13-2016, 08:37 PM
Alan, I tried to start this conversation a month or so ago. At that time I suggested the Sausalito YC's "Twin Island" series (3 races). The Starts are off Pt. Knot and there are two courses: (1) Around Alcatraz & Angel Islands in either direction (2) A variation that goes up to Red Rock and back. So, long legs & no short tacking. The SYC Race Committee said they'd be willing to work with a short-handed division. I suggested a separate start, 10 minutes after the regular starts so everyone but the short-handers would be gone. They thought that was workable. The Finish is back at the SYC with mooring balls & shuttle and party.

I also think some of the Tiburon YC's one-off races might work. Again there are long legs. They usually have a gathering at their YC afterward, too.

Pat

While I would love to do the Ocean stuff, the price of admission in terms of safety gear is pretty high.

Here's a cut-up of the YRA Shorthanded Circuit, just the "In-The-Bay" races for 2015 and leaving out stuff like Tahoe races. I've put the SSS races in red

JAN. 30 SSS Three Bridge Fiasco
FEB. 27 Single/Doublehanded #1, SeqYC
MARCH 12 Rites of Spring Race, OYC
MARCH 12 Doublehanded Long Distance, SSC
MARCH 19 Corinthian Race, SSS
APRIL 23 Round the Rocks, SSS
APRIL 23 Twin Island Series, - SYC
APRIL 30-MAY 1 YRA Great Vallejo Race, VYC
MAY 7 Single/Doublehanded #2, SeqYC
JULY 16 Twin Island Series, SYC
JULY 16 Jill and Jack Race, SSC
JULY 23 Single/Doublehanded #3, SeqYC
JULY 30-31 YRA Second Half Opener, EYC
AUG. 21 Gracie & George Race, EYC
SEPT. 10 Single/Doublehanded #4, SeqYC
OCT. 15 Single/Doublehanded #5, SeqYC
OCT. 15 Twin Island Series, SYC
OCT. 22-23 Vallejo 1-2, SSS
JULY 9 YRA Westpoint Regatta, SeqYC

AlanH
09-13-2016, 09:07 PM
So, Sequoia YC has a whole singlehanded/doublehanded series, but then that's 'way down here in Redwood City. That's fine for me, at Coyote Point, but pretty far for the rest of you folks to commute.

Pat, the 2015 Twin Island Series conflicted with one of the SSS races, but fits in nicely with the rest of the schedule. Thoughts?

BobJ
09-13-2016, 09:45 PM
All but three of the monohulls in this year's Silver Eagle were shorthanders. About the same in 2015.

https://www.jibeset.net/entrylist.php?A00=IYC_T004247933&A01=14d5e0339cff9ac84ad8bc5e78a0b2ce&T=1473828054&SORT=df

There's also been a large contingent of shorthanders in the Berkeley Midwinters the last two years; last Winter they had separate divisions for singlehanders and doublehanders.

Wylieguy
09-14-2016, 08:32 AM
So, Sequoia YC has a whole singlehanded/doublehanded series, but then that's 'way down here in Redwood City. That's fine for me, at Coyote Point, but pretty far for the rest of you folks to commute.

Pat, the 2015 Twin Island Series conflicted with one of the SSS races, but fits in nicely with the rest of the schedule. Thoughts?

Alan, Dates for 2017 are being generated right now. I'll ask both the SSS and SYC what dates they are considering for 2017. The SYC also has a pursuit race (March 26 this year) and a one-way "Rear Commodore's Race" to Vallejo (June 25 this year). -- Pat

AlanH
09-14-2016, 01:45 PM
All but three of the monohulls in this year's Silver Eagle were shorthanders. About the same in 2015.

https://www.jibeset.net/entrylist.php?A00=IYC_T004247933&A01=14d5e0339cff9ac84ad8bc5e78a0b2ce&T=1473828054&SORT=df

There's also been a large contingent of shorthanders in the Berkeley Midwinters the last two years; last Winter they had separate divisions for singlehanders and doublehanders.

Did the IYC run the Silver Eagle? I'm totally confused, now.

Anyway, it's been a decade since I did that race and I would **love** to do it again.

Berkeley Midwinters, eh? I must look up dates, then...

Hmmm. Thinking out loud, here...

JAN. ? SSS Three Bridge Fiasco
MARCH ? Corinthian Race, SSS
APRIL ? Round the Rocks, SSS (oh, please, not the last weekend in April!)
MAY ? YRA Season Opener
JUNE? Silver Eagle, IYC
JULY? Westpoint Regatta
AUGUST -
SEPTEMBER -
OCTOBER - SSS Vallejo 1-2

Gamayun
09-15-2016, 11:42 PM
Hey now, why is Feb, Nov and December missing?!

For August, I would consider EYC's Gracie and George race (female skipper, male crew). It might be a way that the guys out there could introduce sailing/racing to a female sailor or have their SOs join them. I know that Gordie and Mike are two of the SSSers who already do this regularly! Hmm, I guess this means that Jackie and I would have to bring guys on our boats. Wonder how that's going to work out ;)

For September, sailing anywhere south of the central bay at that time truly sucks. What about BYC's Oktoberfest pursuit race around Alcatraz? Other than experiencing a horrific crash of multiple boats at the finish when I was crew on someone else's boat a couple years ago, this could be a fun one that I might consider doing.

Gamayun
09-15-2016, 11:49 PM
How about the Westpoint Regatta?

EDIT: never mind, just found the shorthanded results from the 2015 Westpoint Regatta.
https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=YRA_T00612296&DOC=r3&TYP=html

Ahem. You need to show the 2016 results. This is what a Freedom 38 can do when she sails in big wind to her polars....1818

Philpott
09-16-2016, 10:51 AM
I guess this means that Jackie and I would have to bring guys on our boats. Wonder how that's going to work out ;)

Dura Mater has had some pretty cool men crew over the years. Pat Broderick came with me a couple of years ago during a Berkeley Mid wins. I learned how to trim my sails for low wind. Al Germain came with me that one time when it got REAL WINDY AND REAL FOGGY at the end, and I remember laughing loudly and nervously with him as we tried to find the committee boat to finish. That was fun. My brother, Steve, came out with me and when he got tired of sitting up top, he went down and read Peter Heiberg's book in the cabin. I could hear him laughing from the cockpit. That was the time my starter got stuck "on", got hot and burned my exhaust tubing, which caused billowing black smoke to fill the cabin. Steve was calm: "That's your starter, Jack. Gotta remember to turn that off when you're done with it." So it has happened that DM has had male guests. Just not often. People I know? Either they want to sail their own boats or they are reluctant to get on a boat. They laugh nervously: "Um, does it lean over?" "Do you ever fall overboard?"

AlanH
09-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Dura Mater has had some pretty cool men crew over the years. Pat Broderick came with me a couple of years ago during a Berkeley Mid wins. I learned how to trim my sails for low wind. Al Germain came with me that one time when it got REAL WINDY AND REAL FOGGY at the end, and I remember laughing loudly and nervously with him as we tried to find the committee boat to finish. That was fun. My brother, Steve, came out with me and when he got tired of sitting up top, he went down and read Peter Heiberg's book in the cabin. I could hear him laughing from the cockpit. That was the time my starter got stuck "on", got hot and burned my exhaust tubing, which caused billowing black smoke to fill the cabin. Steve was calm: "That's your starter, Jack. Gotta remember to turn that off when you're done with it." So it has happened that DM has had male guests. Just not often. People I know? Either they want to sail their own boats or they are reluctant to get on a boat. They laugh nervously: "Um, does it lean over?" "Do you ever fall in?"

No, but sometimes I push people in.

*cough*

AlanH
09-16-2016, 11:40 AM
I figure that Nov - Feb is Midwinters time. It's just that the 3BF happens to fall right in there.

==================================

As a complete aside.... ONE MONTH TO HAULOUT. Finally. The whole Alameda Marina debacle has cost me 10 months of wasted time. All the $$ that might have gone into the haulout went into a custom hoisting sling that I can't use, now, so I've been saving my pennies since literally March.

solosailor
09-20-2016, 09:55 AM
I'm all for more shorthanded racing opportunities. I'm not for this being part of the SSS. The SSS runs a series of races that over the decades has matured to not conflict many the many other sailing organizations out there. This is important for those that race both shorthanded, crewed and ocean. With with great coordination there are always conflicts. We have already added a full weekend of racing with the Drakes Bay 1 & 2.

So I'm for a group of shorthanders doing other races that already exist in a shorthanded class, an informal "in the bay" series - great. I'm not for adding any outside races to the SSS schedule and not for any additional season championship, i.e. having an additional "inside the bay championship". Too much dilution in my opinion..... your mileage may vary.

BobJ
09-20-2016, 11:20 AM
Aren't we really saying the same thing? If this causes an extra date conflict or two, just choose what you'd rather do that weekend.

AlanH
09-20-2016, 04:07 PM
I'm all for more shorthanded racing opportunities. I'm not for this being part of the SSS. The SSS runs a series of races that over the decades has matured to not conflict many the many other sailing organizations out there. This is important for those that race both shorthanded, crewed and ocean. With with great coordination there are always conflicts. We have already added a full weekend of racing with the Drakes Bay 1 & 2.

So I'm for a group of shorthanders doing other races that already exist in a shorthanded class, an informal "in the bay" series - great. I'm not for adding any outside races to the SSS schedule and not for any additional season championship, i.e. having an additional "inside the bay championship". Too much dilution in my opinion..... your mileage may vary.

I completely agree.

I'm not looking for a separate "SSS-In the Bay Only Championship", nor am I suggesting that the SSS add more events. I'm just nosing around for events in the Bay that are likely to have a significant number of singlehanded or doublehanded boats to go out and play with.

Wylieguy
09-27-2016, 12:56 PM
i don't know where the discussion of an In-Bay shorthanded series has gone, but I approached the SYC Race Committee with proposal to add a shorthanded division to their 3-race Twin Island Series in 2017. They responded favorably, if there are 5 entrants.

The dates are April 29, July 15, October 14. Scheduling for 2017 is going on right now, and I don't know what dates the SSS is looking at for its races, so I don't know if there are conflicts.

The SYC Twin Island races start near Little Harding Rock with two possible courses. 1) Around Alcatraz and Angel Islands in either direction. 2) Up to Red Rock and back. They provide long legs without much tacking/jibing for shorthanded spinnaker work. The SYC is agreeable to a late start so the starting area would be clear. They'll also provide prizes. However, the Shorthanders would not be competing for the Twin Island Trophies (they're with spinnaker and without spinnaker divisions).

I think if folks from the SSS are interested i clobbering together a series, the discussion needs to get going quickly. Pat

BobJ
09-27-2016, 06:21 PM
That sounds good to me Pat. Those courses certainly work and it's usually an easy trip over from RYC to the Knox area. We'll see how the dates work out and who else is interested.

Thanks for talking with the SYC R/C and getting this set up.

AlanH
09-28-2016, 01:39 PM
i don't know where the discussion of an In-Bay shorthanded series has gone, but I approached the SYC Race Committee with proposal to add a shorthanded division to their 3-race Twin Island Series in 2017. They responded favorably, if there are 5 entrants.

The dates are April 29, July 15, October 14. Scheduling for 2017 is going on right now, and I don't know what dates the SSS is looking at for its races, so I don't know if there are conflicts.

The SYC Twin Island races start near Little Harding Rock with two possible courses. 1) Around Alcatraz and Angel Islands in either direction. 2) Up to Red Rock and back. They provide long legs without much tacking/jibing for shorthanded spinnaker work. The SYC is agreeable to a late start so the starting area would be clear. They'll also provide prizes. However, the Shorthanders would not be competing for the Twin Island Trophies (they're with spinnaker and without spinnaker divisions).

I think if folks from the SSS are interested i clobbering together a series, the discussion needs to get going quickly. Pat

For me personally, the April and July dates will work. The April weekend is the Woodland Highland Games, but us old farts compete on Sunday. The only issue is that the April date might conflict with the YRA Vallejo race?? July should be good for moi.

The second weekend in October is the Seaside Highland Games in Ventura, and I do the Old Man Road Trip from Hell with my friend Marty. We drive down to Santa Barbara on Friday and crash at his friend Ians house. We eat massive steaks, lounge in the hot tub and tell lies about our wives. Then on Saturday we strap on kilts, drive 45 minutes down to Ventura and go throw. Saturday night is more hot tub lounging and protein intake. On Sunday we drive back down to Ventura, watch the lasses throw and make "comments" from the peanut gallery. We always stop for lunch at the Madonna Inn on the way back up. Sailing is fun, but I can't pass on this!

Wylieguy
09-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Back to the idea of a "Shorthanded In-Bay Series." There doesn't seem to be much interest among the SSSers who read this thread. So, maybe there's not enough interest to expend the energy to organize one? I don't think we're going to find a group/series of races that will fit everyone's schedules. It's Oct. 1 (almost) and although "Summer" racing doesn't officially begin until May 1, the time is now to carve out the races that work best and begin getting the word out to potential participants. Before their Sailing Summer gets filled up with other obligations.

Can we begin with a list of folks who'd like to participate? Doesn't have to be signed in blood, bottom paint, or winch grease, but an idea of who might be interested would be a starting point. Pat B.

AlanH
09-29-2016, 03:59 PM
Back to the idea of a "Shorthanded In-Bay Series." There doesn't seem to be much interest among the SSSers who read this thread. So, maybe there's not enough interest to expend the energy to organize one? I don't think we're going to find a group/series of races that will fit everyone's schedules. It's Oct. 1 (almost) and although "Summer" racing doesn't officially begin until May 1, the time is now to carve out the races that work best and begin getting the word out to potential participants. Before their Sailing Summer gets filled up with other obligations.

Can we begin with a list of folks who'd like to participate? Doesn't have to be signed in blood, bottom paint, or winch grease, but an idea of who might be interested would be a starting point. Pat B.

I am interested in an "In The Bay Only" series for singlehanders and/or doublehanders...not run by the SSS. I say this understanding that I might have to miss a race due to other obligations. If such a series were assembled by one other organization, such as the SSC, then I'd expect to pay my registration nickel for the whole series.

If such an organization didn't work out, then I'd be keen to just gather consensus on the board, here, on 3-4 races that we all agreed to do during the middle of the season.

BobJ
09-29-2016, 04:03 PM
Attempts to gather boats for the midwinters and the Silver Eagle taught me that our skippers are spur-of-the-moment, impulsive and independent. Jackie has a fancy word for it - which I've forgotten because when she told me I was already off onto something else and frankly didn't care what she thought...

Besides, I never sign anything.

Wylieguy
09-29-2016, 04:48 PM
Okay, I'll bow out. I was thinking something much more organized; a series of races where shorthanders would get their own start - and in the case of the SYC Twin Island races at least, a pause between crewed and shorthanded starts so we weren't mixing it up with the full crew boats for starting area space. When the discussion, sometime next year, comes round I'll see if what's decided on at that point can fit into my racing schedule. I usually get my schedule in order shortly after the YRA master list is published in January.

In the meantime I'll inform the SYC Race Committee that they shouldn't plan on a separate shorthanded division because I know they're getting their 2017 schedule near final form.

BobJ
09-29-2016, 05:07 PM
Gee Pat, I thought you knew me better than that. I think this can work but the serious part of my post is that our skippers don't tend to plan very far ahead.

As non-SSS races, the Berkeley Midwinters and Silver Eagle were promoted on this forum, on Facebook and by face-to-face invitation. I didn't know whether we'd have enough boats until shortly before registrations closed. Same with the singlehanded division for OYRA. We got just enough (5) boats for our own division and I'm hoping that grows for next year.

All to say, this forum is one place to promote this but I found it takes a sustained effort on multiple sites and you still end up having to wait and see who signs up.

I'm sorry you didn't get my humor (you're not the first one).

Philpott
09-29-2016, 06:44 PM
I am interested in an "In The Bay Only" series for singlehanders and/or doublehanders...not run by the SSS. I say this understanding that I might have to miss a race due to other obligations. If such a series were assembled by one other organization, such as the SSC, then I'd expect to pay my registration nickel for the whole series. If such an organization didn't work out, then I'd be keen to just gather consensus on the board, here, on 3-4 races that we all agreed to do during the middle of the season.

Alan, I would sign up just to see you on a boat again. The only time we met was that time in Sausalito in 2012 when you corrected me regarding the proper way to wear a harness. Do you remember? Whew! Glad I got that straightened out!

Daydreamer
09-29-2016, 11:06 PM
Ha ha ha!!
Ready to ascend DM's mast !

Seriously, I'm all for having options to fill out the sailing calendar.

I have enjoyed Berkeley's mid-winter series, short courses are quite busy.

IYC's Silver Eagle is a fun long course. Though I missed it this year,I will do this one again.

The OYRA single handed series has been great for getting more ocean miles under my keel.

If SYC has short hand division for the island races I would try to do those too. Sounds like a good long course.

With the SSS series too I have to be careful that I spend some time at home, so I might not get to do every race.

Philpott
09-30-2016, 10:43 AM
I have to be careful that I spend some time at home, so I might not get to do every race.

Spending time at home. Yup. That's a tetchy subject.

AlanH
09-30-2016, 11:35 AM
Okay, I'll bow out. I was thinking something much more organized; a series of races where shorthanders would get their own start - and in the case of the SYC Twin Island races at least, a pause between crewed and shorthanded starts so we weren't mixing it up with the full crew boats for starting area space. When the discussion, sometime next year, comes round I'll see if what's decided on at that point can fit into my racing schedule. I usually get my schedule in order shortly after the YRA master list is published in January.

In the meantime I'll inform the SYC Race Committee that they shouldn't plan on a separate shorthanded division because I know they're getting their 2017 schedule near final form.

Oh, I wouldn't bow out just yet, Pat! Bob was just joking. Let's give this a couple of weeks and see if anybody else responds re: the Twin Island series. I can commit to doing two of the three and would pay the $$ to register for the whole series.

That said, if five people don't commit well in advance, then it's nonsensical for the Club to make any special arrangements.

AlanH
09-30-2016, 11:41 AM
Alan, I would sign up just to see you on a boat again. The only time we met was that time in Sausalito in 2012 when you corrected me regarding the proper way to wear a harness. Do you remember? Whew! Glad I got that straightened out!

Lass, you're gonna choke in that thing. LOL

I'd have been out there more this past season if the disaster of the Alameda Marina hadn't happened. I dropped a grand into a custom hoisting sling for the boat, which is now sitting in my garage. Without going into details, about $600 of that sling was the preposterously overbuilt and overdone spectra bridle that Easom Rigging did for me. But then they had me over a barrel. After Poland kicked me out of Alameda, I went to Brickyard Cove. Brickyard wouldn't allow me to launch there without a bridle/sling system that was approved by Scott, and then he built the most obscenely overpriced construction imaginable. I mean, it's beautiful, all hand-spliced, pre-stretched spectra and everything. If I really needed what he built, that'd be fine, but it's just way, way more than is necessary to get the job done. I could have made something perfectly adequate for 1/4 of the price at the West Marine rigging table out of s.s. wire and swaged fittings. Finally, after all that, it didn't quite fit under the Brickyard hoists arm. POW. Sorry. You're out $1,000 but can't launch on our hoist. See ya! I was not happy.

That $1,000 had to be saved up again to pay for a haulout, which is finally happening in about 3 weeks. I will be back on the water for some 2016-2017 midwinters.

BobJ
10-03-2016, 05:51 PM
2,000 posts - that's quite enough for awhile! I'll try to take a break and let Philpott, Sleddog and others catch up a bit. I hope more SSS'ers will stay in touch via this forum - it's fun knowing what's going on with you and your boat. Besides, there are white cup hooks to search for.

As for me, I'm thinking of double-handing next year for the first time. There are some of you I'd enjoy sailing with. If you'd like to be on my list to contact next year, please send me an e-mail: BobsailsSF at Yahoo.

pogen
10-03-2016, 06:53 PM
2,000 posts - that's quite enough for awhile!

The member list is searchable (look under 'Community' tab), here are the top delinquents.