PDA

View Full Version : Wind generator?

OlyJeff
03-07-2017, 07:28 PM
My boat came with a wind generator that's not working. It's made by Air Marine. I haven't done a power budget yet. Not sure if I should go to the effort of fixing or maybe just add more solar panels if needed.

Thoughts?

AZ Sailor
03-10-2017, 06:19 AM
I have no experience with wind generators beyond seeing them on other boats. I don't like the way they look, and stupidly for that reason alone don't think I'd ever add one. That said, if one had come with my boat, and wasn't working, I would probably try to figure out what it would take to get it working before getting rid of it. If there is a relatively inexpensive fix, and especially if it looks like the wiring and regulation for it was done right, keeping it might be vastly preferable to starting over. I would look for information on other users experience with the make and model in question. If people generally find it reliable, all the more reason to seek a fix. Otherwise, maybe not so much.

OlyJeff
03-10-2017, 06:50 AM
I did some research (search function haha) and it sounds like they are useful the first leg of the race and the return trip. Not so much on the downward run. I came to the same conclusion as you. I might as well tear into it and see what's up. The wiring looks professionally done. It spins but no power output.