PDA

View Full Version : Seminar Schedule and Notification

AlanH
09-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Not to be a PIA....:rolleyes:....but just curious when the Seminar Series is going to start up?

If y'all want, we can use this thread for discussion of the seminar series, though the individual topics...electronics, emergency steering, etc. will all likely get their own treatment in many different threads.

jbarthelmass
09-26-2007, 12:30 PM
One thing I'm hoping is that I can gain access to the seminar information remotely (get a copy of the presentation or whatever). I'm in Southern California and, assuming the seminars are in the middle of the week like they've been before, it'll be tough to attend most of them while trying to preserve vacation time that I'll need next July.

By the way, I'd like to be part of the solution - if I can help out in any way (maybe turn speakers' notes into an electronic file that can be distributed, or organize speakers' notes into a presentation, or whatever) I'd be glad to help.

Eyrie
09-26-2007, 04:57 PM
I have plenty of yacht clubs located around the Bay Area that are very interested in hosting our seminars :) but have had little luck with lining up speakers :(. If anyone wants to volunteer please contact me.

I would like to start off the series in October with an evening of vets simply sharing their stories about what worked, what didn't, etc. It would even be appropriate for shore crew (race committee, spouses) to share their stories too. Again, let me know if you want to participate.

Synthia

AlanH
09-27-2007, 11:08 AM
I have plenty of yacht clubs located around the Bay Area that are very interested in hosting our seminars :) but have had little luck with lining up speakers :(. If anyone wants to volunteer please contact me.

I would like to start off the series in October with an evening of vets simply sharing their stories about what worked, what didn't, etc. It would even be appropriate for shore crew (race committee, spouses) to share their stories too. Again, let me know if you want to participate.

Synthia

I am hardly anyone who should be talking about a darned thing in any of these seminars, seeing as my Transpac attempts have been a litany of failures, but I will volunteer to put together a nights presentation on emergency steering. I think I still have my powerpoint presentation from 2004. I can present in November or December. It'd probably be good to have this one early-up as the emergency steering issue is usually a big one for most new transpaccers.

AlanH
09-27-2007, 11:16 AM
...which means I will be hitting up a number of folks to bring in examples of your emergency backup steering systems. I may be walking around your marina with a digital camera, too.

Note that I don't think I should do a presentation on steering in general, that is, autopilots. There are many others who know a *heck* of a lot more than I do on this subject. I can ask the Scanmar guys to bring in the MRUD so that folks can get a look at it, though.

Another suggestion, though this would be for a Saturday or Sunday when the race gets closer.... Ask Sal if he will inflate a liferaft in a yacht club pool. Have a couple of SSS'ers put on foul weather gear and climb into it. I did that activity in 2004 and it was *extremely* educational.

Eyrie
10-10-2007, 11:41 PM
The Singlehanded Sailing Society presents the first seminar in our monthly series on preparing you and your sailboat to successfully race singlehanded from San Francisco, CA to Kauai, HI. Our first topic is "Getting Started", which will cover the equipment requirements our safety inspectors will check for before you are allowed to cross the starting line. We will have a number of veteran racers that will share their approach to solving the requirements for their particular boat, one of them will surely work for your boat. We will also show a 1 hour documentary about the 1986 race.

The first seminar will be hosted by the South Beach Yacht Club (www.southbeachyc.org) on Monday October 22, our presentation will begin at 7:30 PM and run until about 10 PM. There is no charge for attending and everyone is welcomed. No host bar.

The tenative schedule for future seminars is as follows:
November - Emergency Steering
December - Offshore Communications
January - Sail Selection and Repair
February - Electrical
March - Diesel Engines
April - Rigging
May - Provisioning & Return Trip
June - Medical & Safety
July Tactics & Weather

Exact dates and locations will be posted as they are confirmed, but you can plan on one every 4-5 weeks, on a Monday or Tuesday night, located at various yacht clubs around the SF bay area. So stay tuned!

Synthia Petroka
2008 Singlehanded TransPac Race Chair

Eyrie
10-11-2007, 09:25 AM
I forgot to mention: Doors 6:30pm
So come early and quench your thirst before the crowds hit:D

AlanH
10-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Miz Eyrie, I am taking a MS Networking class on Monday nights, and so please schedule my presentation on emergency steering (If I'm elected to do one) for a Tuesday night!. All my tuesdays in November are currently open, no commitments.

If that can't be done, then I happily and gracefully cede to opportunity to give the seminar on emergency steering to anyone else who cares to do one. :D

Eyrie
10-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Talk about great minds thinking alike, the Pac Cup folks are running their first seminar the day before ours.:cool: Theirs is an all day thing on Sunday 10/21 at the Berkeley YC. You can find out the details and register on their web site: www.pacificcup.org

Sally Richards @ Pineapple Sails sent me the agenda (attached) and mentioned that they are trying to address the needs of those who haven't done this before, predominantly. So beside crew development, all the topics will be beneficial to us singlehanders that lack social skills and have poor personal hygiene habits and are therefore force to sail alone.:eek: Or maybe it's because your boat can only carry enough beer for one?;) Well, no matter why, if you're looking for more tips on getting from SF to HI, consider attending.

Scull Crusher Johnson

brianb
10-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Esteemed members of the SSS:

I have offered to assist Synthia in setting up some kind of live on line presence for the seminars.

The plan is to have dial up number where folks could listen into the presentation and have the presentation materials online, if we can get power point of JPEG/GIF from the presenters in advance of the meeting.

My questions are:

1. Are there enough viewers out there who have an interest to tune in ? (I know of at least 1).

2. Is the club willing to foot the bill ? I believe the dial up conference line will have a charge of around $25. per hour based on a bit of research.

3. The first meeting is a movie. Since I know of no digitized version of same a movie doesn't seem like something we can use in this format. Is there any reason to go online with the first seminar ?

Thanks for your input.

Brian

Not to be a PIA....:rolleyes:....but just curious when the Seminar Series is going to start up?

If y'all want, we can use this thread for discussion of the seminar series, though the individual topics...electronics, emergency steering, etc. will all likely get their own treatment in many different threads.

haulback
10-15-2007, 09:04 PM
I will watch, listen, or whatever - as long as the technology to do so is within my abilities. Step-by-step instructions, and a little hand-holding may be required!!!

Jim/Haulback

Warriors Wish
10-16-2007, 09:52 AM
I should be able to attend the first seminar but there after would like to be able to view on line. Can a web cam be set up to view the seminars over the internet? Cost could be shared by those interested.

Thanks for all your work,

Don

cr1
10-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Hey,

I'm very interested. I'm coming up for the seminar on Monday but it's expensive flying back and forth every month. I definitely can't do it. Flight, car room = $$$.
If we can get this going, I'd pay my share... (I'm in Costa Mesa in Southern Ca.)

Thanks in advance,
Rich

brianb
10-18-2007, 09:26 PM
The cost of the dial up meeting is about $6.00 per hour per person. Would those attending remotely be interested helping to defray these costs ?

Thanks,

Brian

AlanH
10-19-2007, 03:00 PM

3. The first meeting is a movie. Since I know of no digitized version of same a movie doesn't seem like something we can use in this format. Is there any reason to go online with the first seminar ?

Thanks for your input.

Brian[/QUOTE]

My two cents....make a powerpoint presentation of the basic content, and then a movie of the actual class. The movie can be made into a quuicktime movie at somewhat reduced size, and streamed from the SSS website. The powerpoint presentation, or other documentation can be downloaded from same....

Eyrie
10-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks to everyone that joined us last night at South Beach Yacht Club for our first safety seminar "Getting Started". The club could not have been more welcoming and accommodating, and we had a great turn out of both veterans and new comers. Special thanks to Rob/Beetle & Bob/Ragtime for organizing the required equipment show and tell.

Synthia/Eyrie

cr1
10-24-2007, 06:24 PM
The cost of the dial up meeting is about $6.00 per hour per person. Would those attending remotely be interested helping to defray these costs ?

Thanks,

Brian
Brian,
I wanted to let you know that there are at least two of us down here in SoCal that definitely need/want the telephone conference and online show. That would be John in the Columbia 30 and me in a Contessa 26 (and willing to pay our fair share).

Just a quick Hello from down here in Southern California. I had a great time at the seminar on Monday evening. It was great to put faces to names. Thanks especially to Synthia, Rob and Bob.

Rambling, but just to say thanks again and all the welcome smiles.

Rich Hillman
Costa Mesa
Horizon (26' Contessa)

Eric Thomas
10-24-2007, 06:48 PM
I would be interested in getting in on the seminars from afar if possible and am able to help foot the bill if needed.

Eric

BobJ
10-25-2007, 12:07 AM
It was great to meet Don, Rich and others.

I listened to some of the remote access discussion and it kind of fried my brain. Maybe we just have somebody volunteer to tape the thing and make some copies for sale?

Any volunteers? You would be opening these seminars up to a much wider audience and doing the club a great service!

blighbaum
10-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Although my boat is in Alameda, I live in LA and I would be happy to pay the cost of remote access to the seminars. Rich, I would like to talk with you, since our boats are very similar (I have an International Folkboat). - Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

cr1
10-25-2007, 10:52 AM
It was great to meet Don, Rich and others.

I listened to some of the remote access discussion and it kind of fried my brain. Maybe we just have somebody volunteer to tape the thing and make some copies for sale?

Any volunteers? You would be opening these seminars up to a much wider audience and doing the club a great service!
Hy Bob and all,

With all due respect and not wanting to step on anybody's toes (being new and from Southern California) the reason I'm adamant on live call in (as long as it's available) is that we can ask questions and follow real time on PC. Files or slides (powerpoint?) would be downloaded to us in advance.

Very easy to do on our end. Probably sounds a little complicated but the other guys are doing the work. We just pay our fair share and don't have to travel to each seminar.

Thanks
Rich
------

BobJ
10-25-2007, 09:15 PM
No toes stepped on - but it did sound complicated when they were talking about it. I agree it would be good to be able to ask questions.

Maybe we could also get a volunteer to tape the seminars in case somebody couldn't be there and/or dial in, or the hook-up didn't work as advertised.

Bob J.

AlanH
10-28-2007, 10:19 PM
EMERGENCY STEERING SEMINAR

November 19th, Coyote Point Yacht Club
6:30 bar open, 7:00 presentations start

AlanH
10-30-2007, 06:47 PM
EMERGENCY STEERING SEMINAR

November 19th, Coyote Point Yacht Club
6:30 bar open, 7:00 presentations start

GAAA...Presentations start at 7:30.

Synthia sings her Aria from the Opera Il Barberhaulieri di Genoa at 8:00 in which the heroine curses her fate, releases the furies, re-strings her ukelele with spectra and strangles the villian with a garotte of cuben fiber, all the while straining for the e-flat above high C. Not to be missed.

Sparky
10-31-2007, 10:19 PM
Having attended the first seminar at SBYC, I can empathize with those that couldn't make it regarding the need to get information; the meeting was very informative and encouraging. The requests from interested parties out of the area to have dial up access, powerpoint, web cam, etc., seems to suggest that a solution to disseminating meeting minutes might be well received.

Although I reside in the bay area and can make these meetings...for the most part, I am bummed that I'll be missing the November 19 meeting on Emergency Steering due to a planned vacation out of the country. Is there any way someone, maybe a couple volunteers, can take minutes of what was talked about? Is this a reasonable request? I understand that minutes wouldn't have the visual effects that a video camera would have, but something is better than nothing.

Thanks in advance to those members that are involved with putting these seminars together. :D

AlanH
11-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Is there any way someone, maybe a couple volunteers, can take minutes of what was talked about? Is this a reasonable request? I understand that minutes wouldn't have the visual effects that a video camera would have, but something is better than nothing.

Thanks in advance to those members that are involved with putting these seminars together. :D

A lot of the information should be available via powerpoint presentations, photos, word docs, pdf's and so on. Not sure about plans to videotape the whole shebang. One of the real draws to this seminar, even more so than some of the others is the chance to get your hands on working equipment. Making your own emergency steering system is a significant undertaking, and to be able to physically touch a blade and ask the guy that made it how he did it is priceless. After seeing systems and deciding what will or won't work for you boat...perhaps opting to purchase an SOS system, you will know immensely more than when you started.

I well remember diving headlong into making my own emergency rudder cassette system in 2003, only to go to the Emergency Steering seminar that year and feel my jaw hit the floor. I started over again and had a system that was one tenth the weight and plenty strong enough.

If someone is planning on doing this...I highly recommend making it to the Emergency Rudder seminar.

jbarthelmass
11-05-2007, 01:18 PM
I won't be able to attend the November seminar, but would like to acquire whatever presentation or notes may be available if possible.

I also wonder whether there has been any new developments regarding some form of real-time conference line for the seminar series?

On both of the above issues, I'd be glad to pay for the benefits.

cr1
11-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Hey all,
John (2.7 Seconds) Barthelmass and myself (Horizon) are down here in Southern California and so I'm just confirming that John and myself are willing and able to contribute to the online call-in conference call.
Thanks in advance,
Rich Hillman
captainrich1@sbcglobal.net

Eyrie
11-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Let us all give a big heap of accolades to Don/Warriors Wish for his extremely generous donation of a conference phone. And while we're at it, more accolades to Brian/Red Sky for addressing the details of getting it all working, and to Alan/Ankle Biter for coordinating all the speakers and data for the upcoming Emergency Steering seminar which will be our first test drive. Details on how to log-in are forth coming.

Be sure to tune in on Monday Nov 19th 7:30PM.

Synthia

cr1
11-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Let us all give a big heap of accolades to Don/Warriors Wish for his extremely generous donation of a conference phone. And while we're at it, more accolades to Brian/Red Sky for addressing the details of getting it all working, and to Alan/Ankle Biter for coordinating all the speakers and data for the upcoming Emergency Steering seminar which will be our first test drive. Details on how to log-in are forth coming.

Be sure to tune in on Monday Nov 19th 7:30PM.

Synthia
Hi Synthia,

John (2.7 Seconds) and I (Horizon) down here in SoCal haven't heard anything more since your message of 11/08. We don't have any details on how to hookup and whether any presentations will be downloaded so we can follow along while we're listening in.
Any info?
Thanks,
Rich Hillman
-------------

AlanH
11-16-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm sure these links will be up on the web site soon, but you can download and print these articles, which will be available as handouts at the seminar.

Paul Kamens OLD rudder document :
http://www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2002/selfsteering_seminar_2.pdf

Pauls new revised and improved one is here:
http://www.well.com/user/pk/PacificCup/EmergencyRudder-08.htm

Jim Antrims is here, just look down through the list and you'll find the emergency rudder one. NOte that ET sails to Hawaii with three people aboard, so an emergency rudder that works with an autopilot isn't so important:
http://www.antrimdesign.com/articles/

A copy of a great article that Rob MacFarlane wrote can be found here:
http://www.bluemoment.com/emergencyrudders.html

A powerpoint presentation reviewing rudder systems from Moore 24's, SC 27's, Express 27's is being assembled and will be available either very shortly before the seminar, or immeadiately afterwards (I'll try to post it to SOME web server beforehand)

AlanH
11-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Many thanks to the speakers last night; notably

Rob MacFarlane
Brian Boschma
Greg Nelson
Hans Bernwall

There were four example rudders on site, from totally high tech composite foam/epoxy/carbon structures with carbon cassettes to douglas fir shaped in the garage with hand tools. I think I'll be 'glassing up my doug fir rudder in the near future after talking to some of the guys! Hans brought down the SOS emergency rudder system, and much talk ensued over using the EMRUD attachment for the Monitor Windvane as well.

We had about 45 people in attendance, lots of Pac Cup people as well as SSS'ers and a handful from the Coyote Point Yacht Club. Handouts from Paul Kamen, Rob MacFarlane and Jim Antrim were made available. We took a look at some small boat systems as well, from solid to "doubtful". More of those will be available on the web site, soon.

MANY thanks to the Coyote Point Yacht Club for allowing us to use their facility, and to TransPac Race Chairfemme Synthia Petroka for contacting the Club and making arrangements. A few pictures of the evenings activities should soon be posted on the website.

AlanH

Eyrie
11-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks again to everyone that participated, either locally or remotely.

Here are the statistics that I collected from the meeting:
Signed-in attendance: 40
SHTP interest: 15
Pac Cup interest: 18
SSS members: 15
Host YC (Coyote Point) members: 10
Other YCs, 1 each: OYC, BYC, RYC, SBYC, SCYC, BBYC, SCC, PAYC

If you were a dial-in, please let us know how that worked and any reasonable improvements that we might be able to make for future seminars.

Next seminar topic is Communications, on Monday December 17th @ Ballena Bay YC in Alameda.

Synthia/Eyrie

Eyrie
12-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Arrrh me maties,

Need a diversion from your holiday gift wrapping? Well, this is for you!

The Singlehanded Sailing Society presents the third seminar in our monthly series on preparing you and your sailboat to successfully race singlehanded from San Francisco, CA to Kauai, HI. This months topic is "Offshore Communications", which will cover navigation, weather & performance sailing software. Don Melcher from H.F. Radio on Board www.hfradio.com/ and Marilee Shaffer from Waypoint www.waypoints.com/ have extensive knowledge they'll be sharing on the world of offshore communication and computer-based navigation and tactical applications.

This seminar will be hosted by the Ballena Bay Yacht Club www.bbyc.org on Monday December 17th, our presentation will begin at 7:30 PM and run until about 10 PM. There is no charge for attending and everyone is welcomed. No host bar.

For more information about the Singlehanded Sailing Society, check our web site: www.sfbaysss.org
There you will find a link to the Singlehanded TransPac Race page with everything relating to our upcoming 30th anniversary race scheduled to start on July 12th, 2008.

The schedule for future seminars is as follows:
January - Sail Selection and Repair
February - Electrical
March - Diesel Engines
April - Rigging
June - Medical & Safety
July Tactics & Weather
Exact dates and locations are posted on the SSS web site.

We hope to see you next Monday. Holiday gift not required.

Pirate Name: Skull Crusher Johnson

Pirate Name Generator: http://www.stupidstuff.org/main/piratename.htm

jbarthelmass
12-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Will the teleconference phone number and participant passcode be the same as for the November seminar?

I'll be dialing in if the link is available.

blighbaum
12-16-2007, 03:47 PM
what will be the phone in number and passcode for tomorrow night's seminar?

Regards and thanks for setting this up, Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

seabird51
12-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Is there a date time and location for the January and February seminars?
Thanks
Lou

Eyrie
12-29-2007, 11:12 AM
All the details for the seminars are posted on the web site:
http://www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2008/documents/seminar_schedule.htm

6:30 pm doors (bar) open, 7:30 pm seminar starts

January 14, 2008 - Sequoia YC - Sail Selection & Repair
February 11, 2008 - Richmond YC - Electrical

Synthia/Eyrie

seabird51
12-29-2007, 09:05 PM
I will be back in Mexico for the Jan and Feb seminars but hope to get to March seminar at least just to visit. I found schedule after I posted the question but could not undo the question. BTW I am really jazzed about the GMN MaxGate email system. PS I am working hard on a synopsis for my medical talk in June.
Regards to all
Lou

Eyrie
01-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Arrrh me maties,

Need a diversion from those all night gym session working off that unsightly holiday weight gain? :eek: Or maybe you're bored with riding your stationary bike from the living room to the kitchen? :p Well, this is for you!

The Singlehanded Sailing Society presents the fourth seminar in our monthly series on preparing you and your sailboat to successfully race singlehanded from San Francisco, CA to Kauai, HI. This months topic is "Offshore Sail Selection & Repair", and we will have 3 guest speakers: Dave Hodges from Santa Cruz Sails, Dave Culp from Kite Ship, and Synthia Petroka from UK-Halsey Sailmakers.

This months seminar will be hosted by the Sequoia Yacht Club www.sequoiayc.org in Redwood City on Monday January 14th. Doors (& no host bar) open at 6:30 PM, our presentation will begin at 7:30 PM, and run until about 10 PM. There is no charge for attending and everyone is welcomed.

For more information about the Singlehanded Sailing Society, check our web site: www.sfbaysss.org
There you will find a link to the Singlehanded TransPac Race page with everything relating to our upcoming 30th anniversary race scheduled to start on Saturday July 12th, 2008.

Also of interest for preparing you and your boat to sail 2000+ miles, the Pacific Cup folks will be holding their second Prep Seminar on Saturday February 23rd. You can get all the details on their web site: www.pacificcup.org

The schedule for future SSS TransPac seminars is as follows:
February - Electrical
March - Diesel Engines
April - Rigging
June - Medical & Safety
July Tactics & Weather

Eric Thomas
01-14-2008, 08:53 PM
I cannot find the details for a call in?

BobJ
01-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Eric, I just saw your message. They are on break right now and will resume at 2045. The dial-in info is down in the "Audio Conference Dial-Up" thread down the board, and is the same as the last two seminars:

1-800-750-4065
Code 131732#

Hope you see this.
Bob J.

Kuewa
01-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the great info on sails last night, Synthia and Dave. Another great seminar. And Synthia, thanks especially for having copies of your printed materials available on the seminar calendar -- very handy to stick in the on-board file for future reminders (the more future we get to, the more reminding I need).

Tony

cr1
01-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Synthia and Dave,

I missed the seminar on Monday evening (PSSA meeting down here at Marina Del Rey covering the Guadalupe 700 mile race qualifier for SHTP and got another handout from a few years ago authored by Rob McFarlane on miscellaneous stuff). Anyway, I wanted to thank you for posting all the neat links for sails on the seminar schedule site.

Rich
Horizon

Eyrie
01-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Here's some more info and pix of the spinnaker thong/wedgee from Paul Kamen that I'm trying to get posted to the web site, but in the mean time:

Steering and control under spinnaker was greatly facilitated by a very unconventional spinnaker reefing line. This was a small diameter Kevlar line running through an extra tape sewn down the centerline of one of the spinnakers. The top of the Kevlar line was tied to the halyard shackle or head grommet of the sail. The bottom of the line exited the tape in the middle of the spinnaker's foot, and went through a block on the stem of the boat and then back to a spare halyard winch.

Tensioning this line had the effect of "elephant assing" the spinnaker. That is, it created a large fold down the centerline and reduced the sail's projected area. It also made the section shape of the sail more wedge-like than cup-like, resembling twin jibs when it was "reefed" all the way. The technique only worked on a very deep reach or run, but it made possible some comfortable nights under autopilot with the spinnaker up and the boat surfing and planing. Squall strategy was greatly simplified because this single control could de-power the spinnaker down to about 50% of full power. It was also very easy to jibe with the spinnaker "dialed down."

http://www.well.com/user/pk/TZtranspac.html

FYI, my experience during the 06SHTP in lite air and lumpy seas, adding a touch of thong helped the spinnaker refill more quickly after a collapse. Seems that the air would tend to flow from the middle to the edges and unfurl the leech magically. Bonus! :cool:

Synthia/Eyrie

Eyrie
02-06-2008, 12:24 AM
Arrrh me maties,

Need some new ideas for a very different Valentine for that special someone? :confused: Well, this is for you! ;)

The Singlehanded Sailing Society presents the fifth seminar in our monthly series on preparing you and your sailboat to successfully race singlehanded from San Francisco, CA to Kauai, HI. This months topic is "Electrical System", presented by Ron Romaine from KKMI www.kkmi.com. His presentation will cover everything needed to design, install and maintain an electrical system for sailing offshore.

This months seminar will be hosted by the Richmond Yacht Club www.richmondyc.org on Monday February 11th. Doors (& no host bar) open at 6:30 PM, our presentation will begin at 7:30 PM, and run until about 10 PM. There is no charge for attending and everyone is welcomed.

There you will find a link to the Singlehanded TransPac Race page with everything relating to our upcoming 30th anniversary race scheduled to start on Saturday July 12th, 2008.

Also of interest for preparing you and your boat to sail 2000+ miles, the Pacific Cup folks will be holding their second Prep Seminar on Saturday February 23rd. You can get all the details on their web site: www.pacificcup.org

March - Diesel Engines
April - Rigging
June - Medical & Safety
July Tactics & Weather

jbarthelmass
02-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Just to confirm...with the dial in number and passcode be the same for this seminar?

Eyrie
02-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Yes same thing:

Phone number: 1-800-750-4065
Code: 131732#

Synthia

Eyrie
02-10-2008, 01:49 PM
For those planning on attending tomorrow nights seminar at the Richmond YC, Ron Romaine's notes have been posted to the web site. Ron is planning to bring some copies but if you don't want to chance his supply running out you might want to print your own copy:
http://www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2008/seminar_handouts/electronics_seminar.pdf

I would also recommend printing out a copy of the electrical budget worksheet that can also be found on the TransPac web site:
http://www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2008/documents/electrical_budget_worksheet.xls

Sea ya all tomorrow night!
Synthia

Eyrie
02-10-2008, 06:15 PM
It has been brought to my attention that there might be a bit of confusion about some of the rules regarding sails that might have popped up at last months seminar, so just to make sure that no one was mislead I will address them here for all to see.

Storm Trysails - the Pacific Cup requires that you carry a storm trysail but the SHTP will allow you to bypass that requirement if you have a reef on your mainsail that will reduce the luff length (not to be confused with sail area) by at least 40%. See SHTP RRC 4.42

Spinnaker & whisker pole attachment points - as stated in RRS rule 50.2 "When in use, the spinnaker pole or whisker pole shall be attached to the foremost mast." So it would be illegal to attach either one to a ring on the deck.

Twin poles on spinnakers - as stated in SHTP RRC 3.1 "One or more spinnaker pole(s) or whisker pole(s) may be used to pole out headsail[s]. The length of the whisker poles may not exceed the LP of the largest rated headsail, and may not be used for setting the spinnaker. [This modifies RRS 50.2]". It would be erroneous to infer that a spinnaker is considered a headsail that can be carried with twin poles. See RRS 50.4 for the definition of the difference between a headsail and a spinnaker.

Synthia

Eyrie
03-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Arrrh me maties,

Having trouble adjusting to the daylight savings time change? Well, this is for you!

The Singlehanded Sailing Society presents the sixth seminar in our monthly series on preparing you and your sailboat to successfully race singlehanded from San Francisco, CA to Kauai, HI. This months topic is "Diesel Engines", presented by Mike Haley from KKMI www.kkmi.com. His presentation will include the marine diesel engine concept and systems, safety and reliability features, and scheduled maintenance. His outline is posted on the TransPac web site.

This months seminar will be hosted by KKMI right in their boat house next to the main office building www.kkmi.com on Monday March 10th. Our presentation will begin at 7:30 PM, and run until about 10 PM. Sorry, no open bar in the boat house, but still no charge for attending and everyone is welcomed. Dial-in feature will be the same as with previous seminars.

Also of interest for preparing you and your boat to sail 2000+ miles, the Pacific Cup folks will be holding their third Prep Seminar on Saturday April 5th. You can get all the details on their web site: www.pacificcup.org

April - Rigging
June - Medical & Safety
July Tactics & Weather

Eyrie
04-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Arrrh me maties,

Have you grown addicted to a monthly gathering of weirdos talking about crossing oceans just for the fun of it? :p Well, this is for you, and just in time!

The Singlehanded Sailing Society presents the seventh seminar in our monthly series on preparing you and your sailboat to successfully race singlehanded from San Francisco, CA to Kauai, HI. This months topic is "Rigging", presented by KKMI Rig Shop Manager Ralf Morgan www.kkmi.com. His presentation will include what it takes to prepare your rigging for Offshore Racing. Find out what line works best with your boat with hands on examples and lots a great advice. More details will be posted on the seminar website when they are available: www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2008/documents/seminar_schedule.htm

This months seminar will again be hosted by KKMI right in their boat house next to the main office building www.kkmi.com on Monday April 7th. Our presentation will begin at 7:30 PM, and run until about 10 PM. Sorry, no open bar in the boat house, but free bottled water, still no charge for attending, and everyone is welcomed, including my dog.

Also of interest for preparing you and your boat to sail to Hawaii, the Pacific Cup folks will be holding another Prep Seminar on Saturday April 5th. I got a call from Sally Richards that there is plenty of room and the agenda will include weather & strategy and mid-ocean boat handling. You can get all the details on their web site: www.pacificcup.org

#8 May - Provisioning & Return Trip ** (including tips for those supporting the racer, before the start in SF and after the finish in Hanalei Bay) So invite your support crew. Games & Prizes!!
#9 June - Medical & Safety
#10 July Tactics & Weather

Eyrie
04-17-2008, 11:03 AM
If you are going to be attending the Strictly Sail Boat Show at Jack London Square (Oakland, CA) running through this weekend, be sure to check out Barbara Euser's (04SHTP) seminar on the singlehanded Transpac. She will be presenting 3 times during the show, all in the St. Francis tent, times:
Friday - 4:30 PM
Saturday - 11:45 AM
Sunday - 1:00 PM

If you stop by the UK-Halsey Sailmakers booth in the Embacadero tent, I'll talk to you about the Transpac too. I'll also give you a race poster, an original image of our raining winner and commodore Capt. Dread's J/120 Alchera.

Synthia/Eyrie

Eyrie
04-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Arrrh marineros,

In honor of the next TransPac seminar falling on cinco ce mayo (uh, May 5th), the following announcement will be in spanish. :eek:
English for the timid: http://www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2008/seminar_handouts/provisioning_seminar.pdf :confused:

El Singlehanded Que Navega a Sociedad presenta el octavo seminario en nuestra serie mensual en la preparación de usted y su barco de vela a competir con con éxito singlehanded de San Francisco, CA a Kauai, HI. Este asunto de los meses es "Provisioning & Getting Your Boat Back", incluyendo las extremidades para ésos que apoyan al corredor, antes de que el comienzo en SF y después de que el final en la bahía de Hanalei, así que invite a su equipo de la ayuda. ¡Juegos Y Premios!! Más detalles se fijan en el web site del seminario: www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2008/documents/seminar_schedule.htm

Este seminario de los meses será recibido por el South Beach Yacht Club en San Francisco: www.southbeachyc.org el lunes cinco de mayo. Nuestra presentación comenzará en 7:30 P.M., y funciona hasta cerca de 10 P.M.. Las puertas (y ninguna barra del anfitrión) abiertas en 6:30 P.M., nuestra presentación comenzarán en 7:30 P.M., y funcionan hasta cerca de 10 P.M.. No hay carga para atender y se da la bienvenida cada uno.

Para saber si hay más información sobre el Singlehanded Que Navega a Sociedad, compruebe nuestro web site: www.sfbaysss.org Allí usted encontrará un acoplamiento a la página de la raza de Singlehanded TransPac con todo referente a nuestra trigésima raza próxima del aniversario programar comenzar el sábado de julio el 12 de 2008.

El horario para los seminarios del futuro SSS TransPac es como sigue:
#9 Junio - Medical & Safety
#10 Julio - Tactics & Weather
Las fechas y las localizaciones exactas se fijan en el web site de SSS.

Yo no soy marinero, soy el capitán, el capitán.

Nombre Del Pirata: Trituradora Johnson Del Cráneo
Silla 2008 De la Raza De Singlehanded TransPac

Generador Conocido Del Pirata: http://www.stupidstuff.org/main/piratename.htm
Español al traductor inglés: http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

Eyrie
04-28-2008, 10:13 AM
If my announcement was all Greek to you, all the details, in english, can be found at: http://www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2008/seminar_handouts/provisioning_seminar.pdf

Eyrie
04-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Este seminario de los meses será recibido por el Spinnaker Yacht Club en San Leandro: www.spinnakeryc.org el lunes cinco de mayo. Nuestra presentación comenzará en 7:30 P.M., y funciona hasta cerca de 10 P.M.. Las puertas (y ninguna barra del anfitrión) abiertas en 6:30 P.M., nuestra presentación comenzarán en 7:30 P.M., y funcionan hasta cerca de 10 P.M.. No hay carga para atender y se da la bienvenida cada uno.
[/url]

Hey all,

The Spinnaker Yacht Club bumped us :mad:, but the South Beach Yacht Club www.southbeachyc.org is available and they have invited us back :)! Seminar topic and start time are unchanged. Sorry for the short notice.

Synthia/Eyrie

Eyrie
06-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Arrrh me maties,

The Singlehanded Sailing Society presents the ninth seminar in our monthly series on preparing you and your sailboat to successfully race singlehanded from San Francisco, CA to Kauai, HI. This months seminar is "Medical & Safety", and will be presented by a panel of 3.
- Lou Freeman will address likely ailments and a rational approach to the common meds including Rx drugs and antibiotics, plus basic medical equipment to have.
- Chuck Warren will cover tips on maximizing energy on little sleep, dealing with fatigue and recovery, forecasting the environment, and it’s impact on you and your boat.
- Mike Reed will cover first aid kits and have some examples of various prepackaged kits.

This months seminar will be hosted by the South Beach Yacht Club www.southbeachyc.org on Monday June 9th. Doors (& no host bar) open at 6:30 PM, our presentation will begin at 7:30 PM, and run until about 10 PM. There is no charge for attending and everyone is welcomed.

For more information about the Singlehanded Sailing Society, check our web site: www.sfbaysss.org There you will find a link to the Singlehanded TransPac Race page with everything relating to our upcoming 30th anniversary race scheduled to start on Saturday July 12th, 2008.

July Tactics & Weather

For remote conference call dial up: 1 800 750 4065, code: 131732#

BobJ
06-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Guessing it's the same as prior seminars:

Dial up: 1 800 750 4065
code 131732#

Just a reminder: through the generosity of a few people you are able to get this information without the greater expense of being present at the Yacht Club, but we are providing this with the idea that it is based on the honor system and those that do take advantage will pay their share of the expenses. Last month I asked the folks that dialed in to contact me to arrange payment and only 2 did. I'm giving you all another chance this month, but if I don't see more honor I'm going to tell your father when he gets home, and then heads are gonna roll.

Synthia/Eyrie

Eyrie
07-03-2008, 03:35 AM
Arrrh me maties,

The Singlehanded Sailing Society presents the tenth and final seminar in our monthly series on preparing you and your sailboat to successfully race singlehanded from San Francisco, CA to Kauai, HI. This seminar's topic is "Weather and Tactics", and will be presented by Kame Richards of Pineapple Sails www.pineapplesails.com

This seminar will be hosted by the Encinal Yacht Club www.encinal.org on Monday July 7th. Doors (& no host bar) open at 6:30 PM, our presentation will begin at 7:30 PM, and run until about 10 PM. There is no charge for attending and everyone is welcomed.

For more information about the Singlehanded Sailing Society, check our web site: www.sfbaysss.org There you will find a link to the Singlehanded TransPac Race page with everything relating to our upcoming 30th anniversary race scheduled to start on Saturday July 12th, 2008.

For remote conference call dial up: 1 800 750 4065, code: 131732#

jfoster
07-03-2008, 07:25 AM
Arrrh me maties,

The Singlehanded Sailing Society presents the tenth and final seminar in our monthly series on preparing you and your sailboat to successfully race singlehanded from San Francisco, CA to Kauai, HI. This seminar's topic is "Weather and Tactics", and will be presented by Kame Richards of Pineapple Sails www.pineapplesails.comSNIP

Winning Weather Predictions for the Chicago-Mac
With the 2008 Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac starting on July 19, SW contributor John Gallagher explains how gradient winds interact with the region's shoreline breezes. "First Beat" from our July 2, 2008, SW eNewsletter
Jul 1, 2008
By John Gallagher (More articles by this author)
Lucille O'Neill
Hot air above the streets of Chicago tends to intensify onshore thermal breezes during the day and reduce offshore thermals at night.
Every other year during the 330-mile Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac it seems the fleets spend at least half a day becalmed and drifting under the center of a slow moving high pressure system. If such conditions lie in store for this year's Chicago-Mac, skippers who understand the interaction of gradient winds with shoreline thermal breezes will have a competitive advantage. While satellite weather equipment can forecast the size and movement of a high, racers still need to decide where they want to be with respect to the shoreline when the system arrives.

Shoreline thermal breezes develop as the result of shoreline land heating up above lake temperature during the day and dropping below lake temperature at night. Sea breezes are directed onshore and land breezes, offshore. Both thermals initially develop perpendicular to the shoreline.

Gradient wind is wind that develops from the atmospheric pressure gradient around a high pressure center, often called cyclonic air flow, and around a low pressure center, often called an anti-cyclonic air flow. Wind flows clockwise around the center of a high and counter-clockwise around the center of a low. Air movement is strongest near the center of a low and weakest near the center of a high--that's why a forecast of light and variable winds frequently accompanies the arrival of a high pressure system. While lows typically follow the path of the jet stream, passing fronts can dramatically change the direction of the wind.

If there is no gradient wind, the center of the lake may be becalmed. If a gradient wind is present, it will combine with the shoreline breeze at a magnitude and direction equal to the resultant vector sum.

Many subtle factors affecting the strength and direction of sea and land breezes. For an afternoon onshore sea breeze to fully develop, you must have a sunny day over land along the shoreline. Absence of cloud cover over the shoreline allows the temperature of the land to rise rapidly, increasing by as many as 20 degrees above the temperature of the lake water. As the air over the shoreline heats up and rises it pulls in cooler air from over the water. This onshore sea breeze starts in the late morning, building to full-strength (usually around 10 knots) by mid afternoon. The hotter the ambient air on shore, the stronger the onshore sea breeze. It typically veers (clocks) about 10 degrees per hour starting mid-afternoon.

For an overnight, offshore land breeze to fully develop, there must also be an absence of cloud cover, allowing the shoreline land to cool down rapidly to as many as 10 degrees below lake temperature. The relatively warmer air over water will rise, pulling cooler air out from over the land. An offshore land breeze is always much weaker that an onshore sea breeze and usually peaks just before dawn.

Onshore and offshore breezes develop as a result of the high heat capacity of water as compared to that of the land. Lake Michigan acts like a giant heat reservoir: it takes a long time to heat up, and a long time to cool down. Compared to land, water must absorb more heat for its temperature to rise, and it must lose more heat for its temperature to fall. For practical purposes over the few days of a sailboat race, we can consider lake water temperature at any particular latitude to be relatively constant, unaffected by the sun or ambient air temperature.

Land, on the other hand, has relatively low heat capacity. When the sun goes down, land will lose its heat rapidly and the temperature will drop. The temperature of the land along the shoreline can swing as much as 20 degrees above the lake water temperature during the day, and drop as much as 10 degrees below the lake water temperature at night.

Cities along Lake Michigan, such as Milwaukee on the western shore with its high volume of asphalt, concrete, and stone, will absorb considerably more heat from the sun's radiation than the forested shoreline, causing much longer and stronger afternoon sea breezes, but greatly diminished overnight offshore land breezes.

Because sand also absorbs a lot of heat, you would expect the Sleeping Bear sand dunes along the eastern shore of Lake Michigan to have an effect similar to a large city, with stronger and longer onshore sea breezes during the afternoon, along with very weak offshore land thermals overnight. But the elevation of the dunes comes into play, causing afternoon onshore breezes to be deflected upwardly, disrupting the circulation loop of the lower level thermals so as to so as to introduce an unstable behavior. As you sail north along the 35 miles of the Sleeping Bear, the elevation of the sand dunes increases until reaching 400 feet near the Manitou islands, with disruption of onshore thermals increasing with shoreline elevation.

As racers proceed north on Lake Michigan in July, the lake water temperature drops from about 75 F near Chicago to about 65 F near the Manitou islands, 200 miles to the north. The land-water temperature differential during the day typically will increase with increasing latitude, increasing the strength of an afternoon onshore sea breeze. As you proceed north, the temperature differential will be less during overnight hours, decreasing the strength and duration of overnight offshore land breezes.

As humidity increases, shoreline air, warmed by land during the day and by lake water at night, becomes heavier (and thus less buoyant) due to its increased moisture content. This slow-rising air prevents the shoreline thermals from fully developing. Very high humidity, anything above 90%, as evidenced by poor visibility or even fog, creates such a dense layer of air that the heat from land during the day and water at night is not enough to cause the air to rise, thereby preventing development of thermal winds.

The afternoon sky over the shoreline contains clues as to probable strength of onshore shoreline breezes. A clear blue sky will allow an onshore sea breeze to fully develop in the afternoon, and if the sky remains clear overnight, the offshore land breeze will fully develop. A sky with ragged, broken cumulous clouds, having little vertical height, indicates humidity in the air that will slightly reduce the strength of the thermals. Dark cumulonimbus clouds along the shoreline, early morning haze, and fog that "burns off" all indicate high humidity and reduced-strength thermals. A heavily overcast sky during the day will prevent the sun from heating the land, resulting in weak shoreline winds. Overnight, an overcast sky will hold heat in the air, likely resulting in a total shutdown of the offshore land breeze.

Wind Near the Shore

If there is no gradient wind, as often happens in the center of a high, sea breezes and land breezes will develop along all shores, leaving the center of the lake becalmed.

If you're along the Wisconsin shore with a gradient wind moving in from the west (across the land), the effect on the thermal depends on what time of day the system arrives. In the afternoon, the gradient wind will cancel or reduce the onshore sea breeze, leaving holes in the transition zone. If the gradient wind is light, say 4-8 knots, it may be best to stay offshore at least 10 miles to clear the transition zone. If the gradient winds arrive overnight, they will add to the offshore land breeze, extending the enhanced air zone out to 15 to 20 miles offshore. The strongest air will be within 10 miles.

If, along the Wisconsin shore, the gradient arrives from the east in the afternoon, the wind will add to the onshore sea breeze, extending the enhanced air zone out to about 12-15 miles. By late afternoon the onshore sea breeze will slowly die out, followed by a few hours of gradient wind, until offshore land breeze starts up an hour or two after sundown. Work out to 10 to 12 miles offshore before sundown. Monitor water temperature if you're near the cold water zone centered near Sheboygan, where the magnitude of the onshore sea breeze will substantially increase due to the increased temperature differential. Arriving at night, a gradient wind from the east will be reduced or cancelled by offshore land breeze, with the transition zone full of holes. Stay out at least 10 miles to avoid the transition zone.

The water temperature in the lower one-third of Lake Michigan averages near 70 F in July. After a few days of a strong westerly winds, however, a 40-mile-long, banana-shaped band of colder, 55-degree shoreline water develops along the Wisconsin shore, centered near Sheboygan and extending out about 10 miles from shore. This cold band of water parallel to the shoreline is being pulled up from the deepest part of Lake Michigan, the result of strong westerly winds driving surface water toward the eastern shore. This cold band of water will tend to increase the onshore sea breeze in the afternoon and prevent an offshore land breeze developing overnight.