PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Seminars

Philpott
09-21-2017, 11:14 PM
The Kahuna wants some movement on preparation of seminars for This Thing we call The Race. What would you like to see in the way of topics addressed? And yes, we will be having a hands-on anchoring seminar. What will that look like? Well, think about it.

jamottep
09-22-2017, 08:58 AM
Being a newbie there's plenty to learn but I'd love to see the topic of weather, navigation and weather routing addressed, with an end to end real life exercise, using what ever solutions each participant will be using (e.g. sat, laptop).
Which weather data do you need? How to get it? How to read and interpret it? How to use it to your advantage based on the course and your boat's specifics? How to reassess based on deck observations? I'm sure I'm missing plenty ...

Philpott
09-23-2017, 11:00 AM
Being a newbie there's plenty to learn but I'd love to see the topic of weather, navigation and weather routing addressed, with an end to end real life exercise, using what ever solutions each participant will be using (e.g. sat, laptop).
Which weather data do you need? How to get it? How to read and interpret it? How to use it to your advantage based on the course and your boat's specifics? How to reassess based on deck observations? I'm sure I'm missing plenty ...

Okay. Duly noted and on the list of topics.

Philpott
09-26-2017, 09:19 PM
Tentative Seminar Topics and Timeline, dates and possibly more than one venue TBD. Chatter encouraged.

1. Emergency Rudders and Self-Steering
2. Power Needs & Management
3. Rigging & Sails
4. Communications at Sea - **this will include a discussion of weather data downloads
5. Return Trip and Shipping Logistics
6. Cruise In - The Arrival & Kauai Logistics [see above]
7. Provisioning & Medical Considerations
8. Weather routing & Race Strategy
9. pre-departure BBQ/ Pot Luck / Crate pack & shipping

Painting of Wildflower by Ruth Petroka

SeanRhone
09-27-2017, 06:11 AM
For people like me who cannot attend in person, can these seminars be captured on video and distributed?

DaveH
09-27-2017, 08:20 AM
Hi Sean -
This has been done in the past, though the quality and follow through has been spotty at best.
Since digital media production is in my professional wheelhouse, I'll go out on a limb and commit to making this happen.
DH

AZ Sailor
09-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Hi Sean -
This has been done in the past, though the quality and follow through has been spotty at best.
Since digital media production is in my professional wheelhouse, I'll go out on a limb and commit to making this happen.
DH

Wow! That is great news. I'm hoping to attend at least a couple of the seminars in person, but this will be a big help to all of us outside the Bay area. Thank you, Dave. Very generous of you.

The Smokester
09-28-2017, 08:13 AM
How about a Seminar on "Wine Selection for the 2018 SHTP: What's in Your Bilge?"?

SeanRhone
09-28-2017, 08:44 AM
Not sure about other races but I'm taking a Macallan 18 for the 1/2 way party and the finish line.

Philpott
09-28-2017, 10:52 AM
How about a Seminar on "Wine Selection for the 2018 SHTP: What's in Your Bilge?"?

Is it true that you plan to abandon the race committee in order to sail the Caribbean? What a skewed sense of pleasure you have.

Gamayun
09-28-2017, 09:50 PM
How about "Anchoring and Dinghying in Hanalei"?

DaveH
09-29-2017, 05:33 AM
How about "Anchoring and Dinghying in Hanalei"?

to be covered as part of #6 - "Arrival and Kauai Logistics"

JohnS
09-29-2017, 09:52 AM
ULDB dinghy:

Philpott
09-29-2017, 10:53 AM
Can we get a show of hands, please? Our sponsors are clamoring for obvious reasons for why they should dedicate their vast sums of money. You, Shannon of the Blue Fins, are you in? In other words, Is Fins In? And how about Bad Bunny? AZ Sailor, what is your boat's name? I have the naked swimmer on my list, too, no need to expose yourself further just now. Lee on Morningstar? PJ, he of the steep but obviously successful learning curve, and our local girl, Carliane. Please advise because our advertising money hangs in the balance.

SeanRhone
09-29-2017, 11:16 AM
Good point Philippe - For the SHTP or seminars? I will NOT be attending the seminars in person, I live in Charlotte NC, but will be looking for the videos from them. I'm working very hard to make the SHTP race and have every intention of being there!

Any ideas when the NOR will be out?

jamottep
09-29-2017, 11:37 AM
Can we get a show of hands, please?

For the SHTP? Yes, I'm in. Or was the question for the seminars?

Speaking of sponsors will there be items available "through" the race, such as life rental, tracker, etc?

In Punta del Este now and soon to be offline.

Philpott
09-29-2017, 11:43 AM
Speaking of sponsors will there be items available "through" the race, such as life rental, tracker, etc?.

Items needed. Items available. This is the grist of the seminars.

AZ Sailor
09-29-2017, 01:39 PM
Can we get a show of hands, please?

AZ Sailor here, aka Lee on Morning Star. It is my firmly held intention to start and finish the 2018 SHTP. Baring something really unforeseen and unlikely happening in the next 267 days, I'll be at the line.

You might contact the good folks at PSSA. Per my communications with PRO Stokes, they might have 3 or 4 members entering.

Philpott
09-29-2017, 04:52 PM
You might contact the good folks at PSSA. Per my communications with PRO Stokes, they might have 3 or 4 members entering.

Oh, so Lee on Morningstar is also AZ Sailor. Hoo boy! That was confusing! I believe the sailors of PSSA know their way up here. They have sent a few scouts north in recent years.

Gamayun
09-30-2017, 07:21 AM
I'm in for both the seminars and the race! After all the effort over the past years and the work still to come, I can't even fathom the idea of standing on shore and watching everyone take off without me.

I'll email Margie and find out about her. She was going to do it, but was waivering recently. Has anyone contacted the woman who teaches nearby and was planningto race last year, but broke her foot or something? I'll see if I can find her email address.

By the way, I'm planning to contact (very soon), the Nawilwili Yacht Club to see if their youth sailors would like to "join us" in some of our seminars and to track the racers. This was something we talked about last year. They were super excited to have us and it would make the connections all the stronger (especially for us racers). I'll start a new thread on this so we don't bugger up this one, but getting the webinar to work will benefit many. Thanks, Dave!!!

Carliane
s/v Kynntana

Haunani
09-30-2017, 08:03 AM
Hi Jackie. I was really trying for 2018 but finances are probably going to prohibit it this time around. Im hoping for 2020 instead. I want to be there at he 2018 finish though to celebrate everyone!!!!

Steevee
09-30-2017, 06:25 PM
Jackie,
I sent you a PM.

Philpott
10-19-2017, 09:55 AM
Preliminary Schedule for Seminars is attached here. All except the Cruise-In will be held at Island Yacht Club, where the management won't throw us out when our presentations run over. Thank goodness.

The dates in April and May may conflict with skippers' meetings for our Round the Rocks and Farallones races (thank you for that reminder, Kristen), so keep that in mind. Why, you might ask, is this not posted on the Transpac 2018 section? Well, because our Tech Czar, David Nabors is attempting to segue out of his role with a little dignity. He's done a wonderful job for the SSS for years now, but David sold Temerity after completing the 2016 Transpac. He no longer has a sailboat, and is now building his own boat in his workspace at home.

Point being: Is anyone interested in being the new SSS Tech Czar? Or how about a Tech Vice President? Some of the status, none of the harassment claims? Let us know. In the meantime, find attached:

SeanRhone
10-19-2017, 10:13 AM
I'm not a SSS member but in the IT industry. What does a Tech Czar do? Maybe I can help.

Philpott
10-19-2017, 10:27 AM
What did David do, you mean? Well, he's very smart and knowledgeable and a really good sailor, too. He did anything we needed with aplomb. He would also pay for anything Dura Mater needed: new self-tailing winches, a Pelagic and slip fees for months at a time. No. Really that last sentence is a lie/fake news.

He was an SSS member and also on the Board. He came all the way up to Alameda from Mountain View through traffic after work to SSS meetings and bought his own beer. He set up Word Press several times for the Transpac Races and problem solved regarding this site. David knows everything. We miss him already.

Gamayun
10-19-2017, 08:21 PM
I'm not a SSS member but in the IT industry. What does a Tech Czar do? Maybe I can help.

Sean, I'd say you're over-qualified and that we'd absolutely love to have your help! I'm sure someone could also send you Dave Nabor's # if you'd like to chat with him about the duties. Seems we had a Facebook page a while back that has since gone dark. Maybe someone would also be willing to post on there from time to time? At the very least, it would be nice to send a post when there's a meeting or some other event.

pogen
10-20-2017, 01:35 PM
What did David do, you mean? Well, he's very smart and knowledgeable and a really good sailor, too. He did anything we needed with aplomb. He would also pay for anything Dura Mater needed: new self-tailing winches, a Pelagic and slip fees for months at a time. No. Really that last sentence is a lie/fake news.

He was an SSS member and also on the Board. He came all the way up to Alameda from Mountain View through traffic after work to SSS meetings and bought his own beer. He set up Word Press several times for the Transpac Races and problem solved regarding this site. David knows everything. We miss him already.

I'm not dead yet. Still on the board, still doing the job. It is true the Board is seeking a replacement Secretary/Web Manager with possibly an enhanced social media outreach role. This person should be a dues-paying member of the club at a minimum.

mike cunningham
10-25-2017, 03:47 PM
Can we get a show of hands, please? Our sponsors are clamoring for obvious reasons for why they should dedicate their vast sums of money. You, Shannon of the Blue Fins, are you in? In other words, Is Fins In? And how about Bad Bunny? AZ Sailor, what is your boat's name? I have the naked swimmer on my list, too, no need to expose yourself further just now. Lee on Morningstar? PJ, he of the steep but obviously successful learning curve, and our local girl, Carliane. Please advise because our advertising money hangs in the balance.

I am going. I got my return crew lined up, dodger is restitched, erud installed and liferaft certified. Going to cut my time to Kauai by 48 hours. Life is good. Plan on sailing back but not singlehanded. Last time the delivery crew invented a new cocktail which consisted of surplus peach juice and whatever booze was in the cabinet, no ice. Its called the "Pacific High". That's what I'm talking about.

BobJ
10-25-2017, 04:27 PM
(I know I'm spamming the board today but somebody's gotta do it.)

Springing off that encouraging post from Mike, I'll post about the upcoming first SHTP seminar. It's November 15th at the Island Yacht Club, at 1930.

Awhile back, the lemon bread gal asked if I would reprise a seminar we did maybe ten years ago. For the opening SHTP seminar in 2007 (2009?) we set up long tables and laid out most of the equipment required for the race. We went through the Race Requirements and talked a bit about each item - sort of a mock equipment inspection. This got skippers thinking and asking about what they still needed to reach the starting line, and also let them see what stuff actually looks like. (One skipper asked where the cash register was so he could just get it over with!) The famous belt buckle was on display, along with memorabilia from past SHTP's.

We'll try to get through the requirements efficiently because we're planning to camp out on e-steering options for the second part of the evening. E-steering is the largest single project for most skippers and requires an early start to have time to complete and test your system.

Finally, but first on the program, we'll introduce everyone and let skippers tell about their boats, why they're doing the race and whatever else they want us to know about them.

>>> It would be great to have as many past, present and aspiring SHTP skippers present as possible that night, so you can meet each other and feel part of the fraternity/sorority that is the SHTP.

Besides putting this 11/15 seminar on your calendar, now would be a good time to do as Mike just did and state your intentions regarding 2018 or a future SHTP. This would help me plan the content based on types of boats, etc.

Comments/questions?

Philpott
10-25-2017, 05:10 PM
(I know I'm spamming the board today but somebody's gotta do it.) I had to look it up because I thought it was "a canned meat product made mainly from ham". Thank you very much, Bob. Your post is neither irrelevant nor inappropriate. So, how about it? The Seminar Series will be posted in Latitude soon (though too late for November). Who is planning to come to the first seminar? There will be an open bar, so we need to order enough liquor for everybody, so please let us know asap.

That last sentence was a lie/fake news.

Post here, please, or if you want it to be a secret, email me @ Jacqueline.Philpott@gmail.com

Send me a photo of you and your boat. I'll post it here and we'll be able to get to know you. Thanks

AZ Sailor
10-25-2017, 05:23 PM
Besides putting this 11/15 seminar on your calendar, now would be a good time to do as Mike just did and state your intentions regarding 2018 or a future SHTP. This would help me plan the content based on types of boats, etc.

Comments/questions?

I'm in for both: 11/15/2017 at IYC, and 6/23/2018 at the start line.

As far as the seminar goes, the agenda sounds great, but it would be really nice if we had the 2018 RRC by then. It doesn't seem prudent to be spending money based on the notion that the SER for 2018 will be exactly the same as 2016.

SeanRhone
10-25-2017, 06:55 PM
Love this idea! Anyone know how people who cannot attend in person can participate in these? Will there be a Google Hangout or something?

Gamayun
10-25-2017, 08:33 PM
I'll be at the Nov 15 seminar, and with the continued mighty assistance from Michael Jefferson (who I understand also plans to go on Mouton Noir), Kynntana and I will be at the start line in June :)

(Does anyone else have butterflies just thinking about it already....?)

mike cunningham
10-25-2017, 10:30 PM
I'll be at the Nov 15 seminar, and with the continued mighty assistance from Michael Jefferson (who I understand also plans to go on Mouton Noir), Kynntana and I will be at the start line in June :)

(Does anyone else have butterflies just thinking about it already....?)

I get butterflies thinking about thinking about it.

Ha ha wait till the pre race skippers meeting, everyone is looking around the room at each other thinking are these people CRAZY! Am I crazy? Good God, I am going to get on that boat in an hour and sail to Hawaii with a bunch of crazy people. Well, at least normal people are thinking that. There are a few that are really crazy, those are the cool and collected ones, you can pick them out, easy. Example, David Garman was sitting next to me, he was typing away at a Toughbook during the weather briefing looking like he was writing a work email, cool as a cucumber. Not only that, he's sailing a Santa Cruz 27 more than 2000 miles. I'm thinking a big PVC pipe with a toughbook, and Dave, in it.....he wasn't the only one...now there's C.R.A.Z.Y.

Gamayun
10-26-2017, 11:05 AM
Love this idea! Anyone know how people who cannot attend in person can participate in these? Will there be a Google Hangout or something?

Sean, if the SSS powers to be don't have something already cooked up, I can Skype it. I think the way I can do that with multiple people is for me to connect with each of them in a group (so I'd need everyone's Skype name) and then share the screen.

SeanRhone
10-26-2017, 12:26 PM
Thanks Gamayun! Looking forward to these!

dolfinbill
10-26-2017, 04:34 PM

OK, Bob

You can probably put me down for 11/15 and a definite maybe for 6/23.

Bill Meanley
sv Dolfin, Pacific Seacraft 37
San Diego

mike cunningham
10-26-2017, 06:29 PM
OK, Bob

You can probably put me down for 11/15 and a definite maybe for 6/23.

Bill Meanley
sv Dolfin, Pacific Seacraft 37
San Diego

Well Bill, if you go again, don't forget to pack some extra Negra Modelo. You never know when a marina rat might show up in Nawiliwili looking for some free beer.

Bob, I will be there (IYC that is) on the 15th.

Philpott
10-26-2017, 08:29 PM
OK, Bob You can probably put me down for 11/15 and a definite maybe for 6/23. Bill Meanley sv Dolfin, Pacific Seacraft 37
San Diego

Excellent. Another Pacific Seacraft 37. Again. That's seventeen so far.

dolfinbill
10-27-2017, 10:19 AM
Well Bill, if you go again, don't forget to pack some extra Negra Modelo. You never know when a marina rat might show up in Nawiliwili looking for some free beer.

Good memory Mike. Actually I was expecting to collect on the three beer debt you owe me from last time.

Bill Meanley
sv Dolfin

dolfinbill
10-27-2017, 10:25 AM
Excellent. Another Pacific Seacraft 37. Again. That's seventeen so far.

So Jackie,

I guess that means we get our own class next year except for your well deserved reputation for occasional exaggeration/fake news.

Philpott
10-27-2017, 11:44 AM
So Jackie,

I guess that means we get our own class next year except for your well deserved reputation for occasional exaggeration/fake news.

Ezzackly

AlanH
10-27-2017, 01:00 PM
I'll attend the first seminar. I coordinated the e-steering seminar, like umpty-ump years ago and most of the people who brought kit back then are no longer with the SSS, so my input is of minimal use. Also, my "tech" as in communications and all is sadly outdated. But I'll attend and beam at everyone, happily, and swallow the fake news hook, line and sinker..

I'm an almost-for-certain for SHTP 2022, if I don't do DH Pac Cup in 2021. That's planning ahead, innit?. Heck, I might do it even if I do DH Pac Cup in 2021.

Philpott
11-05-2017, 09:37 PM
Update:

DaveH
11-05-2017, 11:39 PM
if I don't do DH Pac Cup in 2021.

More fake news? last time I checked Pac Cup runs on the even years...

JakeJ
11-14-2017, 09:06 AM
What is the start time for the seminar?
I am flying in.

Thanks!

BobJ
11-14-2017, 09:13 AM
7:30 at the Island Yacht Club. There's a lot to get through so we'll need to start on time.

Philpott
11-14-2017, 09:34 AM
What is the start time for the seminar? I am flying in. Thanks!

Sorry, Jake! I mailed this invitation through Jibeset. There will be an email sign up list at the meeting for all future 2018 Transpac notifications.

You are invited to the first of a series of seminars leading up to the 2018 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race from Tiburon to Hanalei Bay. This seminar on Wednesday November 15 will put the race into focus with a display of all required equipment. Bob Johnston (Transpac 2006, 2008 and Race Chair in 2010) will discuss the required and recommended equipment list. Greg Ashby and Chris Case, who intend to do the race in Wilderness 30s, will bring their emergency rudders. In addition, representatives from GC Racing Products and Scanmar, will be on hand to answer questions about their products. The Seminar will start promptly at 7:30 pm at the Island Yacht Club in Alameda. The Seminar is free and everyone is invited. Bring a friend.
Questions: Jacqueline.Philpott@gmail.com

SeanRhone
11-14-2017, 10:44 AM
And this seminar will be broadcast over what for people who cannot attend in person?

AlanH
11-14-2017, 12:02 PM
More fake news? last time I checked Pac Cup runs on the even years...

Details, details!!!

DaveH
11-14-2017, 02:33 PM
And this seminar will be broadcast over what for people who cannot attend in person?

here are the details for the webcast:
Please register for 2018 Single Handed Transpac Seminar #1 on Nov 15, 2017 7:15 PM PST at:

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7561269283185874691

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

Fingers crossed the internet connection holds up and that everything flows smoothly. Just sayin' there may be issues the first time out of the box.

Best, DH

pogen
11-14-2017, 03:07 PM
The webcast info is posted up on the main site. The full url to use is

OlyJeff
11-16-2017, 07:29 AM
here are the details for the webcast:
Please register for 2018 Single Handed Transpac Seminar #1 on Nov 15, 2017 7:15 PM PST at:

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

Fingers crossed the internet connection holds up and that everything flows smoothly. Just sayin' there may be issues the first time out of the box.

Best, DH

I enjoyed the webinar last night. Thanks for doing that!

Gamayun
11-16-2017, 08:12 AM
Dave, thanks for multi tasking last night to do the webinar! Are you going to archive it and did it end abruptly? Someone said they thought the connection had been lost, but maybe it was just stopped. Anyway, just wanted to give you feedback. I love having webinars as I'm likely to miss one of the seminars.

DaveH
11-16-2017, 08:47 AM
Hi Carliane et al -
yes, I'm in the process of archiving and creating a channel for distribution.
unfortunately, the one glitch was we abruptly lost the connection about the time Bob said "that's about the last thing" and it ended abruptly.
That should be a one time glitch, and should not repeat for the future seminars.

We can tighten up some other things, including where we demo equipment; pretty sure most of the rudders displayed across the back wall of the room were mostly not visible, though you can hear the descriptions.

For the first time out of the box, I think it went OK; apologies to all on the web for my clunky camera work, etc.

Stand by for the archive... I will share later today once I have it sorted.

DH

Philpott
11-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Three photos of Greg Ashby's Emergency Rudder for NIGHTMARE, and a short video of Chris Case discussing his ER for FUGU, both Wilderness 30s:

https://vimeo.com/243154609

BobJ
11-16-2017, 10:56 AM
I think we took questions after we lost the connection and I wonder if we had any from the remote audience. If so, ask 'em here!

Woulda coulda shoulda done that instead of the time spent talking about wearing the safety harness when it got hot :)

Overall quite a step-up in tech from the days of balancing a cell phone on the front table - Thanks Dave!

Gamayun
11-16-2017, 02:56 PM
Here are some more pictures! Great job, Bob, on all the stuff we need to bring, and to everyone else who gave us inspiration on emergency steering options.

AZ Sailor
11-16-2017, 07:19 PM
Huge thanks to Jackie, Dave, Bob, Brian, and everyone who made this happen. It was very informative and very well worth attending. Great to put faces with some of the names/boat names/screen names of people on this forum.

jamottep
11-16-2017, 10:30 PM
Huge thanks to Jackie, Dave, Bob, Brian, and everyone who made this happen. It was very informative and very well worth attending. Great to put faces with some of the names/boat names/screen names of people on this forum.

x2 :-)

DaveH
11-17-2017, 12:26 AM
Hi All -
here is the link (https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/recording/2161256517415085062) for the recording of seminar #1.
you'll need to sign in/up to view or download.

Thanks

DH

mike cunningham
11-17-2017, 06:48 AM
x2 :-)

Agree, it was great! I got home and added a number of items to the to do list.

and Greg's erud looked like a work of art!

Shane
11-17-2017, 08:36 AM
Hi Folks,

Thank you to Dave for the webinar, Jackie for organizing this and the extra pics (I got the gist of the erudder talk, but the pics helped a lot) and Bob for the great presentation. I've read the safety requirements doc, but seeing all the gear and talking about it gives a better understanding (and a good visual about how much stuff there is). Thank you also to the other folks that helped out. I've been following the races, lurking and dreaming for a few years, this lets me get involved a little bit more, and makes me want to participate in some way.

Feedback on the feed -
I wasn't able to respond to Dave's questions asking if we could we hear or not, but maybe it was user error (me not logged in properly or something)
The audio wasn't that great at times (static), I think the mic was being held to close?
Watching live I was able to resize the video and the powerpoint to zoom in on different screens which was nice.
I'm able to view the replay too (but not resize, so the video part is small)

I'm looking forward to the next seminars and following along and will try to make it up there to see one or two in person.

Cheers
Shane

Philpott
11-17-2017, 10:11 AM
Feedback on the feed -
I wasn't able to respond to Dave's questions asking if we could we hear or not, but maybe it was user error (me not logged in properly or something)
The audio wasn't that great at times (static), I think the mic was being held to close?
Watching live I was able to resize the video and the powerpoint to zoom in on different screens which was nice.
I'm able to view the replay too (but not resize, so the video part is small)

I'm looking forward to the next seminars and following along and will try to make it up there to see one or two in person.

Cheers
Shane

thanks, Shane. and for the feedback. It was very constructive and we can problem solve ways to address them. Our byline might be "We are not exactly the BBC". The seminars are fun. Lots of talking 'bout boats.

Daydreamer
11-17-2017, 10:28 AM
I want to give extra thanks to Bob J. for clearing out his boat and garage to bring all his gear to display for our enjoyment and education!
Thanks to all for putting the seminars together.

I attended the seminars for the 2016 SHTP and learned a lot. I'm still learning!
Always great to get more ideas to improve and supplement the gear needed to do this race.

See you at the next one.

Philpott
11-20-2017, 02:51 PM
The good news is that our own SSS singlehander Todd Olsen has agreed to address the Medical Provisioning segment at the April 18, 2018 Seminar. Todd is a surgeon and will be able to advise which limbs and organs are expendable, which are to be saved as well as how to make those determinations while sailing toward Kauai next summer.

But seriously, folks. Dr Olsen will advise future Singlehanded Transpac participants regarding potential medical issues that might arise offshore, planful choices regarding broad spectrum antibiotics, other medications and sensible supplies that one might obtain to take along on the voyage.

Todd has sailed Windrip Infinity during previous SSS races, and is the current record holder of the prestigious Take Alcatraz competition. He is now the proud owner of a Corsair F31R, and plans to participate in the Three Bridge Fiasco race on January 27, 2018. Be there or be square.

The second part of the April 18 seminar will concern nutritional provisioning. In other words, what kind and amount of food and liquids should you eat offshore to maintain strength, how much of each should you take and finally, what are the circumstances aboard your vessel? In other words, do you have a Cal 40 named Green Buffalo or an Express 27 named Archimedes? Do you have a Garcia Passoa 47 named Mouton Noir or a Pogo 2 named Libra? The boat you sail may determine whether or not you bring gelato bars along, bake cinnamon rolls in the morning, or decide upon Peet’s dark roast for your French press. On the other hand, maybe your boat is more comparable to a pup tent with no galley to speak of and you prefer dried fruit and nuts with granola bars for two or three weeks. Either way, this seminar will address those issues: as soon as we find someone who will cover them.

As suggested, LaDonna Bubak was invited to make this presentation, like she did back in 2012. But LaDonna declined graciously, writing this: “All I did was chat with a nutritionist about the race and racers' nutritional needs”. Huh. Who knew? Either way, everybody thought she was great.

So, here’s the thing: All the nutritional provisioning information online focuses on boats with crew. It doesn’t take into consideration small galleys on small boats, or even no galleys on small boats. It assumes someone else is cooking while you are sailing. But that isn’t what will happen when you go sailing offshore alone, is it?

There are some people who do know how to eat enough to arrive alive in Kauai. Who knows how to do that? Our own sailors. So, please, those of you who have gone before, tell us what worked and what didn’t work for you. Joe Balderamma told us his red pudding story at a recent skipper’s meeting. That was a sobering tale that needed to be told.

By the time April comes around maybe we will have found someone who can encapsulate all your knowledge into a presentation that can then be videotaped for everybody out there in LaLa Land. Won’t that be useful?

tiger beetle
11-21-2017, 12:32 AM
Hi Jackie -

I just came in off a 20 day singlehanded run from Tahiti to Oahu (Tiger Beetle is in Ala Wai Harbor at the moment). I'll toss in my two cents as regards provisioning for a passage. I've also done three SSS TransPac races, so I'll consider that as well. Here's what I do:

Summary is: I eat less offshore than I expect, if something isn't easy to prepare and consume then I'm unlikely to prepare and consume it, take foods that you normally eat at home, don't try for an exotic/unusual menu of 'new' things, and carry extra of whatever you do like so you don't worry about running out. Anything easy to prepare and consume is what you are most likely to actually eat during the race; pre-prepared foods are the best choice.

The run from Tahiti to Hawaii is around 2600 miles, a tad longer than a Singlehanded TransPacific Yacht Race. My SSS TransPac's were on the order of 14-18 days, I figured three weeks + a bit to get to Hawaii from the island of palm trees to the south. The significant difference is I would be sailing across the equator with the sun and heat load that entails.

My shopping experience consisted of 90 minutes at the local Tahiti grocery store (Carrefour, for those that know Tahiti). For the first TransPac I did, food was something of a show-stopper as I had never considered how much, exactly, of any one thing, did I actually eat in a three week period? I went nuts measuring out portions of pasta, cereals, eggs, bacon, even milk. When I did a Baja Ha Ha run much the same thing happened, I had not equipped the boat for a three week run in quite a while, particularly with three other people on board, and scoured around looking for my menus and lists of what people eat for each day of the trip.

By now I've relaxed considerably from worrying about foods on board and running out. Tiger Beetle has a reasonably well equipped galley - 3 burner Force 10 stove (works great as a Faraday cage to keep the spare GPS in when lightning is flashing through the squalls), a fridge that works when it is turned on, a double-gimballed SeaSwing stove with a little Coleman propane bottle attached (this is super for heating up single-can soups), forks and knives, and two double-bowl dog bowls for plates - I can recommend the big kind designed for big dogs, they have non-skid on the bottom and tall sides to keep spillage to a minimum. I've marinized my dog bowls by drilling a hole in the side so I can tie a line to the bowl and tow it behind the boat for cleaning purposes. West Marine will charge double-extra for marinized dog bowls, you can do it for less at the pet store and a drill.

One issue I have is I am allergic to citric fruits (lemons, limes, and fresh tomatos make me vomit), so I pop a 1000 mg Vitamin C pill every day when running offshore in lieu of carrying citric fruits.

I like The General's food descriptions: there are three kinds of food - live food, dead food, and dog food.

Live food: I like eggs (hard boiled, stored in the fridge, they last for weeks, ready to eat when you want one or three, crack, peel, eat), apples (last for weeks in the hanging net bag, slice into wedges and eat one through the day). Bread - keep it refrigerated or it will mold rapidly. I like Dark Rye, that seems to last the longest. I can bake my own bread on board (carry baking tins, yeast, flour) but that takes way too long for a passage and is better done at anchor, but don't on passage. Bananas - but be careful as they can get squished and become totally evil in the hanging net bag as they drip on you. Pre-cooked cheeseburgers are awesome, cook in advance of the race on the barbecue, wrap in foil, put in freezer, transfer to boat morning of race; when you want one take the hockey-puck size burger out of the fridge and let it rattle around in the sink until thawed, then eat (no need to re-heat - cold cheeseburgers are kinda like cold pizza the next morning, always good).

Dead food. I like pasta & parmesan cheese, this is great bomb-shelter food that lasts forever, keep the grated parmesan in the fridge, keep Bay leaves in the pasta and get the pasta out of any cardboard boxes and place into plastic sealed tubs. Don't eat the Bay leaves, they're not tasty. Cheese - carry brick form that you can slice with a knife, I like Mozzarella, Brie (carry a big wheel in the fridge), Swiss. Peanut butter & jelly, keep the jelly in the fridge. Salami, slice off some thin rounds when you feel like it.

Dog food: anything in a can. I also include here packet food such as Instant Idaho Mashed Potatos (love those). Heavy duty canned stew will keep you warm when it is nasty outside. Only get soups that you can dump straight into the pot and heat (does NOT require adding milk, water, etc. - that gets complicated).

Foods to avoid: anything that can crack a tooth. No hard nuts. Be careful of dired salami meat, they can have hard bits in them too.

Dangers: be very careful when boiling water offshore, you can scald yourself something terrible. To boil water I use either a tea kettle (completely contains the boiling water), or a pressure cooker with the seal removed and the lid put back on top of the pot (similar to the tea kettle, the water is not entirely sealed or contained, so be careful).

So back to Tahiti: I bought canned soups, fresh bread, lots of soda (I like Dr. Pepper, but they don't have that so Coca Cola would have to do), zero beer (there is no beer in Tahiti worth its weight to drag to Hawaii, though Hinano Amber is pretty good), lots of fresh unrefrigerated eggs, block sealed cheese, and large packets of beef jerky. Also some foot-long Salami, red fancy apples from New Zealand (I now appreciate the ENZA campaigns),

I'll wrap this up with a quote from Peter Hogg: When asked how he manages his food preparation for a TransPac, and he's done a few, he said, "Oh - I just go over to the market the night before the race and buy two cases of Dinty Moore canned stew. Done."

Typical menu for me, 21 day run:

60 eggs, hard boiled in advance - 3 per day
20 apples - 1 per day
1 small bunch green bananas - they will ripen
1 small bag baby carrots, don't last that long but are easy to eat
3 dried Salami - 1 per week
4 big packets beef jerky - 1 per week
30 canned stews/soups - 1 per day
3 loaves bread, big peanut butter, 2 mid-size jelly - 1 sandwich per day
cereal and irradiated box milk - one handful per day, drink the milk separately in a cup
2 x 2lb packets Sun-Maid raisins - last forever, eat a handful per day
1 tub red vines licorice - a snack, munch on until they are gone
1 12-14"wheel Brie - last until you finish it
3 pounds Mozzarella cheese - 1 per week
3 pounds Swiss chees - 1 per week

In addition to that stuff, Beetle always carries a stock of: pasta, canned tuna, tinned herring, canned garbonzo beans, lentil beans, couscous, wild rice, butter, balsamic vinegar, tortilla wraps/bread, cooking oil, flour, yeast, aluminum foil, zip loc baggies- this is what's in and around the galley and deep-stores (bomb-shelter food) that is useful.

If you are extra-adventurous, here are some other great things:

Butter-milk pancake mix and maple syrup - easy to make, tastes great. It's hot food, so not so good in the tropics, and it's complicated so not so good in the hard reaching out the Gate to the ridge.

Popcorn - easy to make, easy to eat, don't burn yourself on the oil, watch out for the husks that can get caught in between the teeth. Smells great.

Small chocolate bars. If you're a chocolate person, small Halloween chocolates are great - carry a bag of them and look out for trick-or-treaters.

Gotta have it:

Water - plan on drinking a half-gallon a day when it gets hot. If you can make the water cold (ice cubes or fridge) the water is even better. Beetle has a water maker and it works, when I run through half the tankage then I run the water maker and refill the port tank. When it is hot and sunny and toasty I find myself drinking a big cup of cold water every hour or so.

At least that's what works for me. I must admit I've always admired Mike Jefferson's Cheese Whiz sprayed on un-cooked Pop-Tarts gourmet food model - as brilliant as it is simple!

- rob

Philpott
12-02-2017, 09:52 AM
Follow the star:

mike cunningham
12-09-2017, 01:17 PM
With regard to Pop Corn which is an important topic to be sure. One can still buy Jiffy Pop at the grocery store. In addition to safer popping experience, one can take the opportunity to walk down memory lane during the windy reach when life is otherwise wet and miserable.

With regard to "dog food" I would like to include Spam in the discussion. Spam can be a gourmet meal IMO. Not only can one enjoy it right out of the can, one can buy it in all sorts of flavors these days. Tell me what hungry human could resist Jalapeno Spam on a dark, cold, windy night with no stars?

dolfinbill
12-09-2017, 03:10 PM
Right. Cold Spam and a Bud Light - life just doesn't get much better than that.

Bill Meanley
s/v Dolfin

Gamayun
12-11-2017, 12:50 PM
With regard to "dog food" I would like to include Spam in the discussion. Spam can be a gourmet meal IMO. Not only can one enjoy it right out of the can, one can buy it in all sorts of flavors these days. Tell me what hungry human could resist Jalapeno Spam on a dark, cold, windy night with no stars?

You're not quite right, are you, Mike? I grew up on headcheese, pickled pigs feet, and cow tongue. Spam will never, ever land on my boat.

AZ Sailor
12-11-2017, 03:11 PM
You're not quite right, are you, Mike? I grew up on headcheese, pickled pigs feet, and cow tongue. Spam will never, ever land on my boat.

Should be a fun discussion at the provisioning seminar. Meanwhile, will there be a live web cast of Wednesday's power and comm show? And/or an on-line video replay afterwards? Unlike the last time, I couldn't conjure up a way to have work pay for my trip to and from the Bay Area this week.

I think I'm in good shape on power and comm stuff -- SSB and Pactor modem working smoothly with the laptop; energy budget says I can run the fridge 8 hours a day and still only need 56 minutes a day of engine time to top up the batteries. Big thanks to Mike J for posting the worksheet for Rags with all the formulas in place.

Nonetheless I'd like to see the seminar, cuz there's always something to learn.

DaveH
12-11-2017, 03:34 PM
here is the webcast info.

WEBCAST INFO FOR THE DECEMBER SEMINAR

Please register for 2018 Singlehanded Transpac Seminar #2 on Dec 13, 2017 7:15 PM PST at:
https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2863923612924850435

BobJ
12-11-2017, 04:04 PM
Big thanks to Mike J for posting the worksheet for Rags with all the formulas in place.

Where did he post it?

I probably need to update it again - my little 35A alternator may not cut it now that I'm supposed to have a fridge for the head cheese and spam, a motorized stripper pole, disco lights and LED track lighting.

AZ Sailor
12-11-2017, 07:25 PM
Where did he post it?

Sorry, I meant to be thanking you, Bob. I found it somewhere on the web site and assumed you had posted it. It was in resources, or prior race prep, or somewhere.

AZ Sailor
12-11-2017, 07:27 PM
here is the webcast info.

WEBCAST INFO FOR THE DECEMBER SEMINAR

Please register for 2018 Singlehanded Transpac Seminar #2 on Dec 13, 2017 7:15 PM PST at:
https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2863923612924850435

Thanks, Dave. Really appreciate this.

OlyJeff
12-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Where did he post it?

I probably need to update it again - my little 35A alternator may not cut it now that I'm supposed to have a fridge for the head cheese and spam, a motorized stripper pole, disco lights and LED track lighting.

http://sfbaysss.org/resource/shtp2016/SampleElectricalBudgetSHTP2016.xls

The Pacific cup site also has some examples.

Shane
12-13-2017, 11:21 PM
Hi Folks,

A big thanks to Rob for leaving the Hawaiian islands to give this talk.

Tonights audio was much better, and I think not having to hold the mic helped the presenters.

Also I think I need to start squirreling away some funds for some communication equipment

Cheers
Shane

DaveH
12-14-2017, 10:47 AM
Per usual, the simpler audio worked better.
link is here for the recording:

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2863923612924850435 (https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2863923612924850435)

you'll have to register to view/download.

DH

DaveH
01-15-2018, 08:57 PM
Hi All -
Webinar info for Wednesday's Rigging & Sails Seminar:

Please register for 2018 Single Handed TransPacific Yacht Race Seminar #3 on Jan 17, 2018 7:25 PM PST at:

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/144003426004643586

Join the SSS for an orientation and discussion of Rigging and Sails for the 2018 Single Handed TransPacific Yacht Race.

Best,
DH

Gamayun
01-16-2018, 11:50 PM
Hey, I've been meaning to ask....are these the same links each time or do you have to create a new one?

Gregs
01-17-2018, 10:18 AM
Hi there I am looking for a ride from downtown San Francisco and back to either San Francisco or ideally Sausalito.
Thanks

DaveH
01-17-2018, 10:36 AM
Hey, I've been meaning to ask....are these the same links each time or do you have to create a new one?

Each individual webinar has its own link.
I can create an outward facing "channel" for SSS that would make these publishable & searchable, but I have not done so as yet.
For now you need to register to view either live or the recordings.

For convenience, here are the links to the previous 2

2018 Single Handed TransPacific Yacht Race Seminar #1; Nov 15, 2017
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/reg...69283185874691

2018 Single Handed TransPacific Yacht Race Seminar #2 Dec 13, 2017
https://register.gotowebinar.com/reg...23612924850435

captleasure
01-17-2018, 01:50 PM
Hi - Not sure what time you are looking for a ride from the city, but shoot me an email and I can try to coordinate with you. I'm driving over around 4ish - captleasure at yahoo.com
Cheers

DaveH
01-18-2018, 09:53 AM
Last nights Seminar can be viewed here
2018 Single Handed TransPacific Yacht Race Seminar #3 Jan 17, 2018
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/144003426004643586

you'll want to scrub through the first 10 minutes or so of people standing about talking... and there is about a 2minute gap early on due to a battery issue with the camera... apologies for that unforced operator error.

Best,
DH

Steevee
01-18-2018, 12:03 PM
Thanks for sharing. They covered all the essentials. Here's a picture of my jib halyard at Nawiliwili. I replaced it with spliced wire for the sail back to the mainland. Chafe on everything was our number one issue. Inspect what you can everyday and address it right away. Make it part of your daily chores then you can rest.3011

jamottep
01-20-2018, 07:38 PM
Good day ... there were few words about chafe protection during this seminar. There were talks of tape. I looked stuff up and there's stuff like U-line, cheap, and PROtect, expensive. What was recommended?

I can see that I'll need some under the boom for the spinnaker sheet, maybe along the lifelines, the shrouds and then the forestay (When I have the spinnaker pole squared back the spinnaker clew chafes against the forestay).

Maybe there are different recommendations for the different usage.

DaveH
01-21-2018, 12:27 PM
Hi Philippe -
The conversation was about Teflon and UHMWPE [Ulra High Molecular Weight Poly Ethylene] tapes.
here is a pretty comprehensive conversation about the differences between the 2 types.
http://www.apsltd.com/aps-advisor/wrap-it-up/

DH

Shad Lemke
01-21-2018, 10:40 PM
Are there anymore details for the March cruise in? Thoughts on a date?

jamottep
01-28-2018, 05:32 PM
Hi Philippe -
The conversation was about Teflon and UHMWPE [Ulra High Molecular Weight Poly Ethylene] tapes.
here is a pretty comprehensive conversation about the differences between the 2 types.
http://www.apsltd.com/aps-advisor/wrap-it-up/

DH

Thank you ... Is there any brand that anyone recommends? My main concern is spinnaker lines chafing on lifelines and under the boom. But I'm sure there'll be more after a few days at sea.

Philpott
02-05-2018, 05:03 PM
LOGISTICS. At Last! Shipping issues for the Boat or The Trip Home. The Crate. Lodging once you get to Kauai for you and loved ones who come to visit. Transportation options. The Tree. All will become a bit clearer.

Gamayun
02-05-2018, 08:41 PM
LOGISTICS. At Last! Shipping issues for the Boat or The Trip Home. The Crate. Lodging once you get to Kauai for you and loved ones who come to visit. Transportation options. The Tree. All will become a bit clearer.

I'm planning to update the website and just wanted to confirm that the SHTP seminar and the Corinthian skippers' meeting would be on the same night. Is that correct?

DaveH
02-06-2018, 11:23 AM
yes, at the risk of a longer evening, that is the "plan"

DH

Philpott
02-18-2018, 12:34 PM
2014 Photo of Brian Cline aboard s/v Maris crossing the finish line in Hanalei Bay. Source of the photo is unknown. Maris is a Pacific Seacraft 24' Dana, and Brian sailed home from Hanalei Bay. He will talk about his return at the seminar. Also on hand will be Mike Cunningham, s/v Jacqueline, who will elaborate upon his extended time in Nawiliwili Harbor after the 2016 race:

“I was having the time of my life during the two weeks I was there. Wake up in the morning, watch the fishing guys go out, do a boat repair or two, walk around the harbor, get some ice, get some beer cooling, complete the log and journal, drink cold beer, shower, rev the fan up, watch a movie, hit the sack...repeat.”

Also on hand: George Lythcott, s/v Taz!, recidivist Transpacker and source of much knowledge,

Brian Boschma, s/v Red Sky, creator of the Pelagic autopilot, Transpacker who has sailed back and forth several times from Kauai, and miscellaneous other singlehanders who have lots of answers about logistics and etc.

DaveH
02-21-2018, 12:28 PM
For those wishing to listen in on the webinar; sign up here

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/1307877166745812995

Please note there will be a skippers meeting for the Corinthian Race before we get rolling on the seminar portion of the evening.

DH

Philpott
02-22-2018, 11:25 AM
At last night's seminar Brian Cline mentioned some inexpensive options for accessing faxes at sea. He started a thread before the 2014 race that can be found here:

http://sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread.php?1238-Receiving-weather-fax-at-sea-(without-SSB-transceiver)&p=15301#post15301

Philpott
03-01-2018, 08:20 PM
Cruise-In

mike cunningham
03-02-2018, 02:42 PM
I am going to miss the cruise in. The real Jacqueline and I are going to Australia for a few weeks. My BIL and SIL want to show us Tasmania where they plan to retire. Sounds like it's pretty cold down there even when it's warm. Windy as hell too. Anyway, wish I could be with you guys, Gordie built me a great, flame red, erud. I was looking forward to showing it off. Oh well.

Philpott
03-02-2018, 05:17 PM
I am going to miss the cruise in. The real Jacqueline and I are going to Australia for a few weeks. My BIL and SIL want to show us Tasmania where they plan to retire. Sounds like it's pretty cold down there even when it's warm. Windy as hell too. Anyway, wish I could be with you guys, Gordie built me a great, flame red, erud. I was looking forward to showing it off. Oh well.

That is a shame. There is a prize for the most beautiful erud. And yours so certain to have won.

DonMartin
03-13-2018, 09:31 PM
Any news on the cruise-in?

Philpott
03-14-2018, 12:24 PM
Any news on the cruise-in?

RYC Harbormaster John Dinwiddie has asked for a boat count so he can empty the place of dues and slip paying members and make room for us on Saturday night. No, not really. That's fake news again. He would like to know what to expect so he can direct us to be as near to each other as possible. So please post here regarding your intentions.

We are invited to sail in so Transpackers are able to share and compare, admire and desire each other's preparations, especially in the Emergency Rudder and anchoring abilities. What time? Dunno. How does high noon sound to everyone? Plenty of time then to strap on the ER and get ready to ride out toward rounding some mark or other.

Other than that, here I am quoting Bob Johnston again, this from January 13, 2016:
"This is the SSS - nobody is in charge. Or everyone is. Just like on your boat."

The RYC bar will be open, the kitchen will not. Please remember to sign in as a guest. Bring food for yourself and to share. Real food. Randy Leasure probably will not cook for everyone.

BobJ
03-14-2018, 01:33 PM
I didn't really say that (did I?)

John D. has deputized me to direct traffic on Saturday. That means I get to tell each skipper where to go. I'm looking forward to that.

If you also want me to tell you where you can dock your boat, please let us know you're coming.

The Smokester
03-14-2018, 02:14 PM
I didn't really say that (did I?)

John D. has deputized me to direct traffic on Saturday. That means I get to tell each skipper where to go. I'm looking forward to that.

If you also want me to tell you where you can dock your boat, please let us know you're coming.

I plan to be there.

s/v Owl

Daydreamer
03-14-2018, 02:17 PM
I'm planning to be there!

Bob can tell me where to go, um, dock my boat.

AZ Sailor
03-14-2018, 02:25 PM
I won't make it, but look forward to the accounts, pictures, and descriptions of the festivities. Maybe some video of the ER race? Or perhaps the race to the ER?

Philpott
03-14-2018, 02:27 PM
I won't make it, but look forward to the accounts, pictures, and descriptions of the festivities. Maybe some video of the ER race? Or perhaps the race to the ER?

Oh, c'mon up, Lee! You can stay on Dura Mater. She has a French Press.

AZ Sailor
03-14-2018, 03:39 PM
Oh, c'mon up, Lee! You can stay on Dura Mater. She has a French Press.

Tempting, indeed, but I must decline. Among other things going on, I've got Doug Paine coming by Saturday afternoon for Morning Star's pre-race inspection. I already rescheduled him once, so I'll hang in San Diego and continue boat prep. Somehow getting ready for the race has pretty much taken over life as I once knew it. Just an observation. By no means a complaint.

DaveH
03-14-2018, 03:52 PM
Somehow getting ready for the race has pretty much taken over life as I once knew it.

This will get worse before it gets better. Do not be alarmed.

DonMartin
03-14-2018, 11:11 PM
See you there. Noon, Saturday....
...Don

Gamayun
03-15-2018, 12:02 AM
Somehow getting ready for the race has pretty much taken over life as I once knew it. Just an observation. By no means a complaint.

OMG, this kinda sums things up for me, too, except that projects are finally starting to role in and I have not had a single break from either work or boat projects in at least 3 weeks. My nice clean injectors are in a bag sitting in the galley while I finish the solar panel. Kynntana is not coming. I'll try to make it by land yacht.

Gamayun
03-15-2018, 12:07 AM
This will get worse before it gets better. Do not be alarmed.

Not so sure if knowing this fact makes everything all better :p

brianb
03-15-2018, 02:13 AM
I plan to be there. I am an RYC member, if that has any influence on dock availability ?
Brian

tboussie
03-15-2018, 06:42 AM
I plan to be there (JouJou) by boat. My SHTP prep is woefully behind schedule, so I will not have much to share during show and tell. I am looking forward to see other boats and the emergency rudder deployment. If I am too lazy to bring the boat back to SF, are there slips available for overnight accommodation?

BobJ
03-15-2018, 09:08 AM
Yes, the expectation is that some boats will stay Saturday night. One planning tip: You can get out the front gate until 2100 by getting close with your car (like IYC/Alameda Marina), but after 2100 you're in for the night unless you have a (member) key fob. There is no food within walking distance so please bring your own.

The juniors take over the basin (in front of the club) Sunday morning so please do not go up in there to dock - wait for a slip assignment. Your gel coat will thank you later.
Speaking of juniors, please be vigilant when transiting the club entrance and Pt. Potrero Reach for the e-steering race/demo, and especially on Sunday when departing.

Thanks

dolfinbill
03-15-2018, 01:14 PM
Sorry to miss it but I'm hauling out tomorrow here in San Diego. That would be some serious multi-tasking.

Bill Meanley
s/v Dolfin

Philpott
03-15-2018, 08:48 PM
Too bad, Bill. We will miss you at this: Emergency Rudder Race March 17, 2018

In preparation for the 2018 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race you are invited to join the inaugural Emergency Rudder
Race. This is an opportunity to deploy your emergency rudder in unassuming circumstances with pick up crew of your
choice or to be found on the Richmond Yacht Club docks. Too far to bring your boat? Drive over. Fly up or down. Bring
your cameras or videos. This will either be a learning experience or another Fiasco. Scroll down for the Sailing
Instructions.

Philpott
03-16-2018, 09:43 AM
By the way, Christine Weaver, racing editor from Latitude 38 will be on hand to interview sailors for the official Singlehanded Sailing Society 2018 Transpacific Yacht Race program. She might also want to photograph you, so quick! comb your hair, brush your teeth, wear your shirt without the holes in it and .... oh, never mind. That just wouldn't be right.

BobJ
03-16-2018, 02:28 PM
I'm starting to match up boats and slips so if you haven't confirmed yet, now's a good time.

DaveH
03-16-2018, 03:01 PM
Domino will be there, but will probably head to Alameda for the night.

captleasure
03-16-2018, 05:56 PM
Ahoy! Tortuga will be there tomorrow around 1100!
She's a Westsail "32" but with the bowsprit and boomkin, we're 40ft overall and draw 5ft.
Looking like a rainy first part of the day tomorrow.
Let us know where we should tie up.
Thank you!
Cheers
Randy
W32 Tortuga
~~~_/)~~~

BobJ
03-16-2018, 07:55 PM
Richmond YC's docks start at "F" by the entrance and go down to "A" up by the clubhouse.

Slip assignments:

Owl - Side-tie on the end of E-dock (dock is 47')
Nightmare - E-68 (second fairway)
Crinan II - E-60 (second fairway)
Dura Mater - E-52 (second fairway) This is Rags' slip and yes, you may use her BLUE dock lines
Red Sky - E-45 (first fairway)
JouJou - E-43 (first fairway)
Domino - Side-tie on the end of D-dock (75' total)
Tortuga - D-40 (third fairway)

There is still space with Domino on the end of D-dock, a couple slips on C-dock and maybe some space up near the shore. So if you're just seeing this, come on over and we'll find you a spot. I'll probably be out near the end of E-dock. Call me on Ch. 71 if you don't see me and need to be told where to go :)

Big thanks to RYC and John Dinwiddie for making this so easy!

Gamayun
03-16-2018, 08:19 PM
Carliane will be there but without Kynntana :( She's indisposed right now. If you need crew for your E-rud race, please let me know! I'll be bringing sailing gear and looking forward to checking out everyone's progress. Here's a pic of my arch and solar panel with Michael Jefferson and Rhett, a friend in my marina. It's still a work in progress; hence the boat hooks holding up the SSB antenna. These guys worked like crazy yesterday, in the rain and cold, to get the arch up, and continued working late into the night after I returned from a job I was doing in Vacaville. Mike and I have been working on building this arch for months now although we initially started talking about it almost 3 years ago. I am so pleased with everything we did, and have been doing, and wish I could show you all. I will soon!

captleasure
03-16-2018, 09:41 PM
I found this detailed chart of the docks:
http://richmondyc.org/ResourceCenter/DocViewer/13823~789125/?doc_filename=%2Fhoa%2Fassn13823%2Fdocuments%2Fhar bor%20layout2-051%20-%20a.pdf&print=1

Philpott
04-03-2018, 01:51 PM
When you told your doctor that you were going to sail across the Pacific Ocean alone in a small boat, what was the response?

Exactly.

So here’s your chance to ask all those difficult questions and not have them included in your medical record, which might or might not become available to the FBI in the next data breach.

This seminar will also cover the topic of provisioning. Cliff Shaw will tell you what he carries aboard Rainbow, his 10m Crowther custom catamaran. This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQzHZviYaDA

Ruben Gabriel will describe the provisions on a Moore 24. hahaha. Yeah. A Moore 24. This one's for you, Rusty!

todd22123
04-14-2018, 05:45 AM
Thank you Jackie.

I will be there at least a half hour early in case anyone wants to chat.
Here is a narrated video slideshow that contains much of the content that will be presented.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4tuSEoznCSI&feature=youtu.be

Todd

DLC99
04-18-2018, 05:52 PM
Will there be a webinar?
Thanks!

DaveH
04-19-2018, 09:12 AM
Hi All -
apologies, I was all set to post the link to the webinar, but evidently didn't hit send yesterday afternoon.

regardless, feel free to watch the recording at your leisure with this link.

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5918044760859402241

best, DH

tboussie
04-19-2018, 07:38 PM
Sorry if it is somewhere obvious, but can someone direct me to the link for the webcast of the February 21st "Return Trip & Shipping Logistics" seminar? Thanks.

Philpott
04-19-2018, 08:27 PM
Sorry if it is somewhere obvious, but can someone direct me to the link for the webcast of the February 21st "Return Trip & Shipping Logistics" seminar? Thanks.

David will know. He checks this site every morning.

DaveH
04-20-2018, 11:01 AM
Sorry, it's not completely obvious, but I have just made it very simple.
I have added a channel that holds all 5 of the previously recorded webinars.
Go Here https://www.gotostage.com/channel/5d0b0ec5a5374aee9e0eac1cd3aa4eb3

Now, down the road this may change as I am limited to 5 videos that can be posted.
I will work that out before the last seminar

DH

DaveH
05-04-2018, 01:12 PM
updating the location of the archived seminars:
now available for your viewing pleasure on the SHTP 2018 Website.
http://sfbaysss.org/shtp2018/seminars/

The webinar link in the preceding post will go dark at some point in the near future.

DH

Philpott
05-14-2018, 12:26 PM
Remember that Wednesday, May 16, 2018/ THIS WEDNESDAY will be the last Seminar for the 2018 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race. The topic will be Weather Routing and Race Strategy. Former Commodore Al Germain and current Commodore David Herrigel will preside.

Prior to the seminar on Wednesday evening will be the skipper's meeting for the Farallones Race on Saturday May 19.

The meeting will be at the Island Yacht Club in Alameda at 7:30 pm. There will be goodies/pre race swag provided to Transpac registrants and there may also be a bartender.

Gamayun
05-15-2018, 03:05 PM
Remember that Wednesday, May 16, 2018/ THIS WEDNESDAY will be the last Seminar for the 2018 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race. The topic will be Weather Routing and Race Strategy. Former Commodore Al Germain and current Commodore David Herrigel will preside.

Prior to the seminar on Wednesday evening will be the skipper's meeting for the Farallones Race on Saturday May 19.

The meeting will be at the Island Yacht Club in Alameda at 7:30 pm. There will be goodies/pre race swag provided to Transpac registrants and there may also be a bartender.

I hope David will send info on the webinar link. I am in Florida taking care of very sick mom. I definitely don't want to miss this one. Please save my swag for me, too! Can't wait to see what's in the goodie bag.

DaveH
05-15-2018, 04:11 PM
I hope David will send info on the webinar link. I am in Florida taking care of very sick mom. I definitely don't want to miss this one. Please save my swag for me, too! Can't wait to see what's in the goodie bag.

Hope your Mom feels better soon Gamayun!

Here is the link for tomorrows webinar for those that cannot attend;

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5744545125127072770

DH

Gamayun
05-15-2018, 04:33 PM
Hope your Mom feels better soon Gamayun!

Here is the link for tomorrows webinar for those that cannot attend;

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5744545125127072770

DH

Thank you very much for the kind thought, David, and for the link. It'll be 10:30 PM on the right coast so this'll be like a bedtime movie. Hope it's riveting!

jamottep
05-15-2018, 08:52 PM
I am in Florida taking care of very sick mom.

Wishing you/her well too ... aging parents are on my horizon and I dread it ...

Gamayun
05-16-2018, 05:14 AM
Wishing you/her well too ... aging parents are on my horizon and I dread it ...

Thanks, PJ.

JohnS
05-16-2018, 08:09 AM

Hope your mom is doing better very soon, Gamayun. I know how difficult these things cam be. And my parent's are on the same side of the country.

And a big thanks to David for doing the webinar thing. I've been unable to attend a few of the meetings and being able to go back and watch the recording has been great.

JS

pogen
05-16-2018, 10:05 AM
Thanks, PJ.

I hope you mom gets better too!

As for strategy, David H. says just sail as fast as possible towards the nearest hurricane. Simple!

Gamayun
05-16-2018, 06:35 PM
I hope you mom gets better too!

As for strategy, David H. says just sail as fast as possible towards the nearest hurricane. Simple!

Ummm, did anyone read Sleddog's post about getting around the high? That's my nightmare. Having been through more hurricanes than I care to relive, I'm not quite ready to sail through one as a strategy, but sailing into the middle of a high and going no where for days is way mo' worse to maintaining my state of mind!