PDA

View Full Version : Question for Administrator or Moderator

John Hayward
09-29-2007, 03:52 PM
Hi,
Twice now, I have typed a "quick response" and when I push send it says I have to refresh the page and log in. I was logged in when I started typing, it still shows that I am logged in, but when I refresh it says I am not and my response is gone. This is very frustrating.
What happening? Is there a way to prevent this? Does the system log me out if I don't go to a different page after a certain amount of time? If so, what is this time limit and is there a way to make it longer?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
John

SSSForumAdmin
09-29-2007, 06:59 PM
In the interests of simplicity :) (and the fact that 10 minutes of rooting around in the admin panels didn't lead me to any magic bullets for this problem), I disabled the "quick reply" option. Now to reply, you just click on the "reply" button and type your response in the new window.

I've left "quoting" on, however.

SSSForumAdmin
09-29-2007, 07:05 PM
In the interests of simplicity :) (and the fact that 10 minutes of rooting around in the admin panels didn't lead me to any magic bullets for this problem), I disabled the "quick reply" option. Now to reply, you just click on the "reply" button and type your response in the new window.

I've left "quoting" on, however.

If you hit the "quote" button, it performs the above function of listing the post you're referring to in your new post. I limited the number of "nested" quotes to two, so that the quoting thing doesn't get out of hand.

Note that you can edit what you "quote", so if you want to reference just one or two lines of another post, quote the whole thing then delete all the text in the quote except for the relevant phrases.

John Hayward
10-01-2007, 08:24 AM
Actually, I liked the quick reply!! The problem appears to be a timeout issue. I have subsequently just let my computer sit while logged into the SSS forum for about 10 minutes and when I go back in and go to another page, I am no longer listed as logged in. Sooooo, if you type a rather long message (quick reply or other) you just time out even though the page you're on doesn't indicate it unless you refresh it. When typing a long reply, quick of other, you only find out when you push the send button. If you refresh, you lose your reply.

I don't know about anybody else, but I liked the quick reply. Could you see if you can increase the amount of "idle" time before the system logs you out automatically???

Thanks,
John

SSSForumAdmin
10-02-2007, 12:22 PM
OK, Quick Reply is back, and I've reset the timeout span to 1800 seconds, or 30 minutes. That means if you're loggedin and there's no activity for 30 minutes, you're automatically logged out.

Hope that'll do it for you all..:)

SSSForumAdmin
10-02-2007, 12:25 PM
I've also changed the cutsie little "rank" thingamabobs from "Junior Member" and so on, to something more imaginative. As of now I think everybody is a "Treasure Island Cove Circumnavigator" . You'll see what you "become" as you progress. If you make it to 750 posts in the forum, you join ...

.....well, never mind.

Warriors Wish
10-05-2007, 06:23 AM
Just checking to see if I am able to use this forum.

If so thanks, I deninitely owe you.

Don

AlanH
10-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Just checking to see if I am able to use this forum.

If so thanks, I deninitely owe you.

Don

Looks like it's working!

haulback
12-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Alan:
How do I make it so only unread subjects/topics are highlighted when I first open up the forum?? It used to be like that, but I must have buggered something up somewhere.

Not a big deal, but it is a little annoying

Jim/Haulback

SSSForumAdmin
12-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Alan:
How do I make it so only unread subjects/topics are highlighted when I first open up the forum?? It used to be like that, but I must have buggered something up somewhere.

Not a big deal, but it is a little annoying

Jim/Haulback

Here's a cut and paste from the Administrators guide:

Thread/Forum Read Marking Type
This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.

Inactivity/Cookie Based
Database (no automatic forum marking)
Database (automatic forum marking)

*~*NOTE, we are using the Inactivity/Cookie Based option to save processor work on our hosts computers.*~*

This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.
Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

So likely what happened, Jim is that you logged on to read the forum, then went and made a cup of coffee, or finished splicing the eye in that new foreguy. When you came back, you'd be inactive for longer than your session timeout, but still logged in and so everything in the forum is now marked as "read" for your account.

Have you noticed that there's not been much activity recently? I check every weekday, 2-3x a day and it's been *Really* slow. So I suspect you just haven't found any new threads, 'cause there have been hardly any.

Alan

Alchera
01-18-2008, 10:59 PM
Alan -

There doesn't seem to be any way to edit or delete your own post - would it be possible to enable this feature?

- Mark

SSSForumAdmin
01-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Alan -

There doesn't seem to be any way to edit or delete your own post - would it be possible to enable this feature?

- Mark

Down in the lower right hand corner of the "text box" for every post you made there are two buttons..."quote" and "edit". By clicking the "edit" button, you can change the contents of your post whenever you want, as don't believe I've set a time limit on when folks can edit their stuff.