PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley Midwinters 2017-18

BobJ
10-25-2017, 01:55 PM
Yep, it's almost time!

Sunday race dates (for Shorthanders) are 11/12, 12/10, 1/14 and 2/11, with a race for the weeners on 2/25. First warning is a leisurely 1155, at X-OC (Berkeley Circle).

We've been doing this series for 3-4 years and have really enjoyed it. Two years ago we had 10 doublehanders and 16 singlehanders but since then Dirk, Henry, Rick and Tom C have sold their boats; Stephen and Todd are trying to sell theirs and I'm not sure what happened to Gregory S. So we need some new blood...er...skippers to enter.

It's a great way to continue sailing through the Winter with your clever and astonishingly good-looking friends, while keeping your skilz sharp and bottoms clean!

Enter here, if possible by November 6th when they split the divisions:

http://www.berkeleyyc.org/race/2017-2018-midwinters

Thanks!

BobJ
11-07-2017, 05:03 PM
Bobbi says we have six shorthanders signed up for the Sunday series, three SH and three DH. We need five of each to have separate divisions for SH and DH, as we did last year.

She's giving us a little extra time so if you haven't yet signed up, nowz the time!

Thanks!

BobJ
11-10-2017, 10:45 PM
We ended up with nine boats. Thanks everyone - we'll see you on Sunday.

Jonathan Gutoff
02-11-2018, 09:28 PM
Today (Feb 11th) was very windy on the circle and we want to point out Chris on Fugu finished singlehanded. We were tied for 3rd overall until today with Fugu but quit when the wind got over 25 knots and started to break things. Kirk on Mirthmaker finished ahead taking 3rd for the series and congrats to them. 2nd was Bob on Ragtime!!! and first was James on the Santa Cruz 27 Furthur. This is a fun series and hopefully we can persuade more folks to race next year.

BobJ
02-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Once again I put a big genoa on the furler the day before a race. It worked - blew like crap!

John Pytlak normally does mast or foredeck on big boats, hikes in the #1 spot and rarely gets to drive, let alone in a race. So I asked if he would drive the race yesterday even though his 300+ pounds would have served us well on the rail.

Once we got a look at the race course, my first task as crew was to get the genoa down and replaced with a smaller jib. We went with the little #4 and that was plenty! Then on our first jibe after rounding the WW mark, we broke the vang (internal wire). So no kite, and my next task was to jury rig it so we could at least keep a flat main going upwind. And on it went.

Yep, come on out next Winter - it's been fun!