PDA

View Full Version : The cost of the race

sdpaine@cox.net
11-05-2017, 07:30 AM
Wrote a comment about the expense of the race and then thought better of it. Have an outstanding experience all. I am glad to help in any way I can.

SeanRhone
11-05-2017, 04:43 PM
It is expensive, as I'm finding out, to get ready for the race. This will be my 1st, if I make the starting line, and I've bought the boat, a truck to haul it and all the work that goes into getting it ready. I also expect to spend $2000 each way from Charlotte, NC to San Fransisco, guessing $5000k to ship the boat back from Hawaii, $1500 to keep the boat in a marina the week prior to the race and race supplies. Not sure what it costs to spend a week in Hawaii after the race and flight back to CA.

It is a lot of money, but looking forward to this!

OlyJeff
11-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Wrote a comment about the expense of the race and then thought better of it. Have an outstanding experience all. I am glad to help in any way I can.

I was hoping for more responses to your post. It would be interesting to see what others have budgeted for the race.

Philpott
11-07-2017, 08:45 PM
I was hoping for more responses to your post. It would be interesting to see what others have budgeted for the race.

Here is a post from Mike Cunningham regarding the expense of the 2016 race:

"By the way, my Wife found my "Hawaii Budget" open in my google docs. As we say in the business world, I had not fully coordinated with all stakeholders. That was an interesting conversation."

My understanding from reading this forum over the years is that the expense is best dealt with ... indirectly. When I asked one sailor the response was "I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you."

A really terrific breakdown of expenses can be found in the book Black Feathers. Of course, Black Feathers is a Cal 20 and the book is several years old. See the Resources section of this site.

BobJ
11-07-2017, 10:15 PM
I don't know if I can adequately explain my personal experience with this, but I'll try.

I have always been a compliant, responsible, money-conscious type. This is partly because of my professional training as an accountant but also because of my personality - I am risk-averse and I don't go off on flyers. The 2006 SHTP took me way outside my comfort zone. While I tried to find every deal I could - and I did find bargains on some major components - the overall endeavor made no financial sense. This was also the reason I sailed the boat home: it was a slow time of year at work anyway, and I could save the shipping costs.

BUT, seeing it through and doing the race was one of the best things I've ever done. I'm sorry for the cheese - but it made me a different person at a time in my life when I really needed that. It was worth far more than I spent. I'm a money guy (both for myself and for my clients) but the SHTP truly isn't about the monetary cost.

I don't want to check my bank account (funk). (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAH4zGd_W1s)

Daydreamer
11-08-2017, 10:08 AM
My wife knows!

I have a growing file of receipts I will probably never look at again.

I bought an inexpensive boat, shop for bargains, (many thanks to those who have helped along the way!) and have done most of the repairs / upgrades myself.
Following the SSS model has helped the process along. First big step was prepping to race SH Farallones, then building on that for the LongPac.
Doing the races and getting familiar with the boat and systems.

I started with the goal to accomplish an amazing adventure and am working toward it. Getting TO the start is part of it.
If someone had told me three years ago, pay X dollars and then show up June 23 2018 to start, I wouldn't have been interested.
But that's just me.

robtryon
11-08-2017, 10:46 AM
I bought a cheap boat, got a job stocking shelves at WM one night a week for the employee and PRO discount. Got as much stuff as I could at swap meets, consignment shops, and Ebay. Sold the Sat phone, liferaft, EPRIB, and other costly items I had bought with the PRO discount for a small profit and still spent just over 20k.

Gamayun
11-08-2017, 12:35 PM
This December will be five years since I bought Kynntana. The broker said she had a bit of "deferred maintenance." Uh, huh. She was also not built to be an offshore boat so I broke a lot of things in the beginning that have since been beefed up. Every year, I say this is the year that the bloodletting will stop; it hasn't yet although I did spend a lot less in 2017 because I literally ran out of money. So, how much money have I spent over the years? I'm pretty sure if I count it up, it would take all the fun away from doing what I love. Perhaps the best advice I've seen is that one is never finished with boat projects and the time just comes to leave.

Then, I start thinking that in another year or two, I should get new sails, do another haulout, fix the things I keep putting off....and the process just starts all over again. Argh

Submarino
11-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Having compared expenses across 3 Express 27's that were in fair shape to begin with AND had basic ocean gear for day races back in 2008-2014, our budgets were in the 15K to 20K range each including shipping, accommodations and air fare back.

Costs have gone up a bit with requirements like masthead light, latest communication technology, etc.

JB

oregonian
11-09-2017, 12:30 PM
In 2010 I budgeted and spent $9000. I already had a fully equipped and capable cruising boat. I also borrowed, for free, thousands of dollars worth of equipment for the race, much of it required equipment. I completely forgot to budget the Round trip Air fare, Motel, and Rental car for my wife to come to San Francisco. I also completely forgot about the Round Trip Air Fare, Motel, and Rental car for my wife in Hawaii. This added another $2000+, but it was all part of the package.
In 2016 I spent another $13000. This time I was not able to borrow all the equipment and needed to purchase some new stuff. If I'm lucky I can have the 2016 race paid for by mid 2018.
In answer to the question: What does this race cost? Well, there are two examples. I hope this is useful information.

Gamayun
11-09-2017, 03:02 PM
^^^^ Now, I'm not feeling so badly about the costs! From the posts so far, it seems the range is about $10-20 K per TransPac or per year, which has likely been my situation, to bring a (local) coastal boat up to offshore snuff. Seriously, what else would you want to do with your time and money?!

AlanH
11-10-2017, 01:30 PM
In 2007 I bought a Santa Cruz 27 and trailer for $8K. The trailer wasn't in very good shape, it was OK, but not great. I had some stuff left over from my 2004 SHTP attempt like the SSB radio and the Navik windvane. I spent about $6500 on other stuff, the one big ticket item was a new spinnaker. Basically, the money I got from selling my previous boat, a Santana 3030, bought the SC 27.

Weeks before the start I put the boat up for sale on Hawaii Craigslist. I had about 6 really good buyers ready to go, and picked one before I got there. I had a whole contract drawn up, where the buyer agreed to purchase the boat and only was out of the contract if the mast fell down, the rudder fell off, or there was breach of the hull.

I stripped everything off of the boat when I got to Hanalei...solar panels, SSB, everything needed to do the SHTP except for the Navik, which had gotten busted on the way over.

When I got back I sold all the equipment. I got a few bucks for the trailer, not a whole lot. Between the sales price of the boat in Hawaii and the $ gotten from selling the equipment, I broke even. That means that I had no boat, but I didn't owe anything. so I guess that means that my 2008 SHTP cost about $14K.

mike cunningham
11-14-2017, 06:55 PM
I thought people might be a little reluctant to disclose expenses. But since we are sharing... I already owned my boat so that was a freebie. I spent about $15K getting her ready for the SHTP. I was pretty liberal with my spending but did most work myself so material costs did add up. That was with me borrowing an e-rud from Rick Elkins. I did buy my raft and upgraded to a below decks AP (thank god). So those were $5K right there. There were a ton of miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Gordie built me an e-rud this year and early enough in the timeline where I can kinda skip inclusion in the 2018 SHTP budget. This is the trick. Buy stuff routinely and start buying next SHTP stuff as soon as the current SHTP is complete. That way you can trick yourself into thinking you aren't spending so much since its spread out over two years.