PDA

View Full Version : Halfmoon Bay Race

Lightspeed
08-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Although I have sailed to HMB three times I have never done the HMB race and spent the night. I was wondering what the norm is for anchoring, and getting in for dinner and back to the boat? Do I need to bring my water wings?

Rick/Lightspeed

AlanH
08-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Some boats anchor out, some boats take a slip and a few boats actually turn right around and sail back home. Last year Bill Merrick crossed the line and kept on going to Monterey!

Anyway, holding ground in front of the Yacht Club is good, sand with a fair bit of weed growing on it. If you do that you'll need a dinghy to get to the club....that or have a good friend with a dinghy. I've used my cheapo $39 inflatable in the past and it worked fine, there's next-to-no surf on the beach. Bill and Jane on Borderline often bring their kayaks and stow them down below during the race. Be sure to drop the hook far enough out, the slope of the beach is quite gradual and you can seem to be just fine at high tide only to wake up to discover that you can't move the boat at low tide.

The HMB Yacht Club is great and the dinner is always worth it. Highly recommended...and good fun. It almost feels more like a cruise-in than a race.

Slips in the harbor are usually available. I *believe* that you need to sign up with the SSS race committee ahead of time if you want a slip, but I've only done that once in my history of 4 HMB races, so I don't remember. Anyway, There's no gate lock to get on the docks, so coming and going is easy. It's about a 20-25 minute walk from the harbor to the yacht club. I tried sailing into my slip last year....big mistake and my radar post paid the price. It was a beam reach into the slip, so if you can motor in, do it.

It's usually a light air race once past the funnel of the Golden Gate and that means motoring at least part of the way home on Sunday. I nearly always see whales out there on the way home. Be SURE to go out to the turning buoy that we use for a finishing mark and then head STRAIGHT OUT for at least a mile-plus when leaving. Cutting the corner can put you on the reef....bad news.

Hope that helps!

Alan

Ergo
08-11-2008, 08:08 PM
It was nice to be mentioned in a post, thanks, Alan. For the record, I did cross the finish line in the last HMB and then kept sailing to Montreey and had a great trip BUT I didn't finish the race. I missed the finish deadline by less than a minute.

Bill Merrick

Critter
08-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Alan has covered most of the essential info. But it's not necessary to let RC know that you intend to take a slip. I've contacted the harbormaster and let him know we're coming, with a vague estimate of numbers, and that seemed to be good enough.

If you want a slip, phone the harbormaster at 650-726-5727 or call on VHF 74. Phoning the day before might be a good idea, but I've never had a problem calling when I arrive.

Another option is to take a mooring in the outer harbor instead of anchoring. There is a fee for moorings, payable at the harbormaster's office.

Usually a few of us bring dinghies, so you can flag someone down for a ride. We're on 69 for the race, so why don't we use that channel for taxi service also.

Max

Lightspeed
08-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks Guys....I don't have a Dinghy yet (still upgrading the running rigging $$) so I 'll try for the slip, however, Lightspeed does anchor well with the windless and if the smaller boats need the slips and I can hitch a ride in and out I don't mind ancoring....Thanks Again

Rick/Lightspeed

Thom
08-13-2008, 10:04 AM
There are currently 13 boats signed up (one has yet to pay).

If you are entered, you should receive an email from me today (assuming the email address you have on file is current).

Thom
08-13-2008, 11:06 AM
12 entries--everyone has paid. My mistake.

Rob should post the entries to date sometime today.

tiger beetle
08-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Rob should post the entries to date sometime today.
Hi Thom -

I'll post the early entry list when I get home this evening. And count Tiger Beetle in for the race, I'm planning to anchor out and will have the dinghy and outboard along for the ride. That and a lot of anchor chain, a fishing rod, and other fun stuff. Quite looking forward to the race to HMB.

Believe it or not, this will be the first race of the 2008 season that I will be able to make!

- rob/beetle

Thom
08-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Please make sure you indicate the number of dinners you want on the entry form. HMB will collect the money at their end, but needs to know how many steaks to grill or chickens to cook...

08-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Thom,

The race entry form says, "Please enclose $25 per dinner with this entry form". I just sent mine in, with a check for dinner.

I'm sure we'll get it all straightened out, but you'll probably see others make this mistake, so heads up.

See you at the skippers meeting!
I28 "Horizon"

Please make sure you indicate the number of dinners you want on the entry form. HMB will collect the money at their end, but needs to know how many steaks to grill or chickens to cook...

Thom
08-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Thom,

The race entry form says, "Please enclose $25 per dinner with this entry form". I just sent mine in, with a check for dinner.

I'm sure we'll get it all straightened out, but you'll probably see others make this mistake, so heads up.

See you at the skippers meeting!
I28 "Horizon"

Sorry for the confusion. We can take the money now or at the skippers meeting or through the mail or via PayPal...OR you can just sign up for the race and HMB will collect money when you get there. We're "user friendly" and California "laid back".