PDA

View Full Version : Dry storage options in San Francisco Bay?

jamottep
12-06-2017, 12:12 PM
Good day,
Here's what I found:

Alameda marina: has hoist and space but no mules/tugs
Brickyard marina: has hoist, space (1 really) and mules/tugs

Anything else? I do need a mule/tug.

AlanH
12-06-2017, 01:57 PM
The Alameda Marina is currently in the middle of a huge community fight regarding development of the Marina. While I haven't been keeping up with updates regarding that fight on this forum, because it seems that most people aren't really interested, there's an ongoing discussion of it over at Pressure Drop. The Alameda Marina has three hoists installed. A consultant hired by the development company reported that two of the hoists were unsafe due to erosion of the embankment on which they are built. That might or might not be true. The larger hoist is functional, but really not maintained. I would say that the environment at the Alameda Marina is really toxic right now, with little trust or good will between the tenants and the management. While there is no doubt that there are fewer boats in slips around the Bay than there were 20 years ago, the Alameda Marina, I understand, has taken a serious "hit" in terms of occupancy. I interpret that to be in large part because of the attitude of the developer.

The boatyard at the Alameda Marina has closed under pressure from the developer. A couple of marine-based businesses have been evicted. No permits have been issued by the City, the State, the Corps of Engineers and so on, so construction is still out a couple of years at least. The current master plan as proposed by the developer which is under consideration by the City of Alameda planning department, calls for "some" dry storage, about 70 parking spaces, 20 feet in length. That of course will fit, maybe a 14-16 foot boat.

Richmond , Brickyard Cove, has two functional hoists, but I suspect they are full, since a lot of people have left Alameda and Richmond is about the only place to go.

The 2-ton hoist in Sausalito, at Schoonmaker Marina closed about a year ago.

The Treasure Island Sailing Center operates a 2-Ton hoist but I don't know anything about it. The Richmond Yacht Club operates two, 2-ton hoists for members-only. The Encinal Yacht Club has a hoist with a VERY small storage yard, with a preposterous waiting list, for members-only.

As far as I know, that's it for dry-storage hoists around the SF Bay Area.

AlanH
12-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Oh, the Santa Cruz YC operates a dry-launch hoist and has a storage yard for members. I have no idea what the wait-list situation is like any more, but I'm 99% sure it's members-only. They have a little 6-hp air-cooled hand-steered mule for schlepping trailers to and fro.

There's a dry-hoist setup on the wharf at Monterey Harbor, and I see boats on trailers on shore, which would be launched at that hoist,but I have no idea how to access it. You probably have to be a Monterey YC member, or a member of another YC with reciprocal privileges. George McKay and I hauled his Moore 24 there, like 6-7 year ago and used his van to move the boat/trailer. No mules.

AlanH
12-06-2017, 02:11 PM
Waterside dry-storage... The Port of Redwood City offers dry-storage in a fenced yard that's just a parking-lot away from their launch ramp, but there is no hoist there and hasn't been for 20 years.

WestPoint has decided to open their dry storage and ramp to individual users. It used to be that it was only available to "big boat" owners who had their "second boat" in the dry storage. Now you can sign up with them for just dry storage and ramp use. They're really expensive, and I will be honest...one of the principals in the company, one of the harbormasters may have some sort of mental illness. He's incredibly rude, incredibly confrontational, condescending beyond belief, and extremely unpleasant. I would never in a million years keep a boat there. I know people who have had boats in the WestPoint harbor for 7+ years and he apparently still does not recognize them and accosts them about their "right" to be on the property every time they drive up to the parking area.

The company that administered the Oyster Point dry storage yard, Drake Marine, went out of business about 6 months ago. I had my boat there for a while and honestly my interactions with Drake were not particularly positive. The yard is probably still there, you can still probably pay the Oakland-based parking company for storage there, but it's 500 yards over some bumpy-rolly roads to get to the Oyster Point launch ramp. The ramp is pretty good, however. There is no hoist.

AlanH
12-06-2017, 02:19 PM
You can launch from your trailer at Coyote Point, but there is no dry-storage. Even "all-afternoon" trailer storage for the guys and gals out with their fishing boats is severely limited.

I think that the San Leandro Marina is closed, or if it isn't, it hasn't been dredged in so long that the channel is impassible to keel boats at anything other than a good high tide.

I believe that the Aolian YC has some small-boat dry storage for members.

everydaysailor
12-06-2017, 09:24 PM
Treasure Island accepts nothing over 27ft unfortunately. It's been a good spot for my Express.

AlanH
12-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Treasure Island accepts nothing over 27ft unfortunately. It's been a good spot for my Express.

...and, I assume, nothing over 4,000 lbs displacement including outboard motors, sails, "boat junk" etc. That means if your boat's designed displacement is greater than about 3700 pounds, then TI isn't an option.

My boat is 26 feet but designed displacement is 4500 pounds. The ONLY "real" 3-ton hoist on the Bay is at the Alameda Marina. The bigger hoist at Brickyard is a 3-ton lift and a 3-ton crane, but they limit it to boats with 4500 pounds displacement. Also, the Brickyard Cove setup has a safety rail in front of the hoist to keep people from falling off the deck. You have to be able to lift your boat over that railing. That pretty much requires that your lifting point be a keel bolt or two.

I spent about $650 on a custom steel lifting frame, which the marina REQUIRED be "approved" by Easom Rigging. Easom built me a lifting bridle of pre-stretched and hand-spliced dyneema. It cost an absolute fortune, and the exact same result could have been achieved with wire rope or even double-nylon straps available for $15 from Harbor Freight. In the end, after spending hundreds of dollars to jump through Brickyards hoops, the hoist with the frame/bridle setup I'd had built couldn't lift my boat over the railing, even with my daggerboard cranked up all the way and the harbormaster said "sorry, too bad"..

It was EXTREMELY frustrating and did not leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling about either Brickyard Cove or Easom Rigging. I now keep the boat in the water at Coyote Point and I sold the trailer a couple of years ago. The upside to that is that the boat is 20 minutes from my house and it's easy to go sailing. The downside is that the berth costs more than the dry storage, I have bottom paint on the hull, and now I have to have biannual haulouts.

jamottep
12-07-2017, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback ... anyone else? :-)

AlanH
12-07-2017, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback ... anyone else? :-)

You have an Olson 30. They displace 3600 pounds. You can use a 2-ton hoist. You have two choices.

Alameda Marina
Brickyard Cove

That's it for non-Yacht Club hoists on SF Bay. If you join the Richmond Yacht Club and they have space available in their yard, then you can use one of their hoists.

Encinal YC is booked to eternity.

End of list for dry storage and hoists on SF Bay. Maybe this gives you some insight as to why a lot of sailors are pretty upset about what's "in progress" with the potential development at the Alameda Marina.

BobJ
12-07-2017, 05:48 PM
Storing at Alameda Marina would get you through the SHTP next Summer and maybe the next one, since the developer won't have permits for awhile. There are at least 3-4 other Olson 30's on trailers there.

It's mast-up storage so if you have a way to get the boat and trailer to the hoist you can be sailing pretty quickly. I dry-sailed Rags from there for almost four years, using our Honda Odyssey to move my 5,500# boat between its parking space and the hoist. The trailer was another 2,500# or so. There are no mules so you have to roll your own (literally!)

Alameda is a shorter drive for you than Richmond. The downside is it's a long motor out the Estuary to the Bay, although sailing in the Estuary has its charms. You're in the central Bay much more quickly from Richmond, so that's the trade-off.

The last thing is what Alan mentions about Alameda Marina's hoist. Those of us who dry-stored there almost missed some races when the hoist was INOP. It sounds like it may be even less reliable now.
Last I heard, the marina's position is that they are renting you a storage space and the hoist availability is not guaranteed.

JohnS
12-08-2017, 10:52 AM
Alameda Marina is down to just the single 3 ton hoist at the far end of the yard and there are spaces available. Tugs for trailers are not typically used although I have seen a couple over the years. Most just use their cars and it works pretty well. You can use nearly any car to move an Olson 30 around the yard. Hitch weight limits etc. are irrelevant as you will never go more than 3 mph. I used a 1980 Honda civic to tug the SC 27 around with a $15 hitch I bolted to the bumper and never had an problem.

I haven't had any issues with the hoist although I know that it was down for a while at some point last Summer (I think). The biggest issue for me is the lack of dock space at the hoist. Back when the other hoist was working there was plenty of dock space available at the hoist location since that hoist was at the guest dock. (Well, maybe not plenty of space on a Friday before three bridge.) Currently there is room for two or maybe three boats at the hoist dock so there is pressure to relocate to the guest dock quickly at times. This is a hassle when doing this stuff solo. The routine becomes launch, get the motor mounted, park the trailer (or get it out of the way), motor to guest dock, walk back to car (and park trailer properly if needed), drive car to guest dock and then begin prepping for sailing. Off the cuff I think this adds about 20 minutes to what used to be a 20 to 30 minute process and a lot of work. Other than that Alameda Marina works well. I do miss the collection of different small businesses that used to be located at the marina and the yard closure is a big loss. (I need to get my rig down in the coming weeks and that will now be a challenge.) The chandlery is still open and WM is just up the road so that is also a plus. And Sal's is right across the street. But it is not what it used to be and I expect it will continue to degrade. Progress...

One more note on Richmond: if you are coming from the South part of the Bay Area you will need to drive through one of the worst stretches of traffic (highway 80 through Berkeley) to get to Richmond. Unless you want to drive through SF. Richmond does have an advantage in available yards now as KKMI and Svendsens are both up there now. (At least I think that's where Svendsens moved to or maybe they are just Bay Marine now.)

Good luck and if you relocate to Alameda let me know and I'll try to stop by and say hello.

AlanH
12-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Storing at Alameda Marina would get you through the SHTP next Summer and maybe the next one, since the developer won't have permits for awhile. There are at least 3-4 other Olson 30's on trailers there.

Agreed. The permit process with the City of Alameda is taking a very long time. The Planning Dept. hasn't even finished with their marina master plan review. They could very easily send it back to Bay West for further revisions. Once their review is finished, sometime in the next few months, the Planning Commission (a citizen panel not the City department) will decide on what their recommendation is to the City Council. That could take a week or it could take 6 months. Then, at some point after that... could be the next meeting, could be a year down the line, the City Council will vote to approve the project or not.

At the same time, permits will have to be issued by the State Lands Commission, BCDC and the Army Corps of Engineers, at a minimum. I don't know if Bay West has their act together enough to have started those processes already. I do know that nothing moves fast at the BCDC, and the last time I called them, about 7 months ago, they hadn't heard a word about it. Because of all this, I can't imagine any sort of demolition happening at the Marina for at least two years. It's also possible...highly unlikely, but possible, that the City will re-zone it back to "Inudstrial" from "mixed - use" which will kill the housing project.

Note that "no demolition" does not mean that the hoist will be maintained, though there are reasons within the use agreement that could be the basis of a good lawsuit if Bay West let the last hoist disintigrate.

It's mast-up storage so if you have a way to get the boat and trailer to the hoist you can be sailing pretty quickly. I dry-sailed Rags from there for almost four years, using our Honda Odyssey to move my 5,500# boat between its parking space and the hoist. The trailer was another 2,500# or so. There are no mules so you have to roll your own (literally!)

Alameda is a shorter drive for you than Richmond. The downside is it's a long motor out the Estuary to the Bay, although sailing in the Estuary has its charms. You're in the central Bay much more quickly from Richmond, so that's the trade-off.

The last thing is what Alan mentions about Alameda Marina's hoist. Those of us who dry-stored there almost missed some races when the hoist was INOP. It sounds like it may be even less reliable now.
Last I heard, the marina's position is that they are renting you a storage space and the hoist availability is not guaranteed.

What's annoying as *F* is that a brand new 3 ton jib crane and 3-ton hoist is about $10,000, all up. There are companies online that sell this stuff, I'm not making up the number out of the air. Add another $10K to get it installed. Considering the millions of dollars that Bay West would be spending if their plan is approved, 20 bills for a spankin' new hoist is less than chump change.

jamottep
12-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Thanks for all the feedback ... I made a deposit on BYC ...

Shad Lemke
12-08-2017, 07:19 PM
Thanks for all the feedback ... I made a deposit on BYC ...

That’s great to hear, we are going to be dry storage neighbors! When do you arrive?

jamottep
12-09-2017, 11:34 AM
That’s great to hear, we are going to be dry storage neighbors! When do you arrive?

And I just got accepted! I'm not sure how I'll get organized to move in ...