PDA

View Full Version : Hand Holds and Disco Lights

mike cunningham
12-09-2017, 03:13 PM
My Freedom 30 was not equipped with any interior hand holds. I got bashed around quite a bit during the 2016 race and it was kind of dangerous. I decided to install a couple of SS handholds made by Stevenson's metal shop. Some of them went on the cabin sides but two went of the cabin ceiling which necessitated a headliner replacement. Headliner was sagging anyway. I got most of the way through the job before I realized I had just eliminated the spot where my main cabin light went. Well, past the point of no return so I just said the hell with the light. I happened to have a couple of waterproof LED strips in the garage or, per my Wife, "the kingdom of crap". Anyway, built a deflector for them and installed under port and stbd deck line in the main cabin. I wound up with a nice white light and red light. I also got green and blue. The little 12vdc led controller also provides a number of lighting effects so I am all set for disco when sailing gets boring.

One if these days I will get round to accomplishing something useful for the actual race.

tiger beetle
12-10-2017, 06:11 PM
To attempt a full-on Disco scene, you can take the strobe lights off the life jackets, turn them on, and attach them to the overhead hand rails... the only thing missing (unless you already have one installed) is the rotating mirror ball.

Philpott
12-10-2017, 09:03 PM
To attempt a full-on Disco scene, you can take the strobe lights off the life jackets, turn them on, and attach them to the overhead hand rails... the only thing missing (unless you already have one installed) is the rotating mirror ball.

I continue to be impressed by the resourcefulness of single handers in their efforts to search for the meaning of life.

Wylieguy
12-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Actually an inexpensive "crystal" ball-thingy on a string suspended from the overhead and a cheap laser flashlight (think Harbor Freight) taped to a bulkhead will create an almost "Stay'n Alive" atmosphere in a small boat cabin. It swings and sways with the boat motion while you, well "swing and sway."

Gamayun
12-11-2017, 12:46 PM
Mike, what LED strips did you use? I'm thinking about the same that would go along the edge between the headliner (which I have so far refused to replace) and the wood sides.

That reminds me. I should post pictures of the stripper pole that I installed on my Freedom 38 after getting bashed around during the LongPac. I love that big, comfy interior at the dock, but not offshore.

And just in case you're wondering, those pictures will be of the pole not the stripper...

mike cunningham
12-11-2017, 06:31 PM

Dang, that's a fine idea. I kid you not, I actually possess a rotating LED disco ball and it really is pretty cool. I had forgotten all about it, but now that you remind me...

Gammy, the WP LED strips are available on Amazon in an amazing array of configurations. They are actually easy to install and require very little power. Make sure you get a remote with RF output vs IR output that way you can locate the controller (which manages the RGB striplights) anywhere you want, behind a bulkhead or wherever. One thing you need to be mindful of is to ensure there is a light deflector. If the lights are directly exposed they are uncomfortably bright. I cut the power in from my existing cabin light circuit. Below are a couple of links to get you started.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Changing-SMD5050-Controller-Adhesive/dp/B0752W24WY/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1513041657&sr=8-11&keywords=led+light+strips+waterproof

Trash the IR controller and buy one of these. They all work the same. Make sure you pay attention to strip width when you buy your stuff. There are two widths, everything needs to be the same.

https://www.amazon.com/SPARKE-Multicolor-Controller-DC12V-24V-Controllable/dp/B06XY4HGW8/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1513041770&sr=1-4&keywords=rgb+rf+controller

The strips can be cut so you can create two or three etc separate lights. Connect them together with this

https://www.amazon.com/EvZ-Color-Extension-Cable-Strip/dp/B00DPQMKBS/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1513041935&sr=1-6&keywords=strip+light++cable

and this

https://www.amazon.com/Solderless-Light-Strip-Connector-Extension/dp/B00H7ILMZ0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1513042066&sr=8-4&keywords=rgb+strip+connector

Make sure you maintain integrity with regard to water ingress.

Finally, you will need this

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_1_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bee+gees+greatest+hits+cd&sprefix=Bee+Gees%2Cmi%2C207&crid=QUN3BS636X3L&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abee+gees+greatest+hits+cd

And we're stayin' alive, stayin' alive
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive

Strangely appropriate given what we are preparing to do.

Daydreamer
12-12-2017, 10:39 PM
Yeah, those cheep rolls of stick on led lights sure are bright. Probably should have sprung for the multi color set. Sure makes it nice to work on things and find those fasteners I drop!

I wasn't going to install hand holds since Nightmare isn't too beamy. Then, just before Long-Pac I saw a short youtube of Mighty Merloe with some webbing run along inside the cabin top. I thought what a great idea and mounted a few d-rings and ran an old jackline in an X.
Am I ever glad I did !! I used it a lot ! Great for hanging wet foulies too!

Got tunes too from a JBL boom bottle. Fits in a cupholder and sounds great.
No disco ball though.

Gamayun
12-14-2017, 09:31 AM
Thanks for all that great info, Mike. I'm inspired (and can't get Stayin' Alive out of my head). Are you going to do Three Bridge? If you are and decide to raft up in Clipper Cove, let me know. Would love to see the new projects.