PDA

View Full Version : Anchoring and Its Discontents

Philpott
01-08-2018, 12:45 PM
Looking ahead to the March Cruise-Out for the Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race boats (wow, that's a mouthful!) I'm wondering what you all plan to do about anchoring in Hanalei Bay? Because you WILL have to anchor in Hanalei Bay, since there is no marina there, no usable pier, and very few mooring balls, most taken by local boats.

When we have the cruise-out in March you will have the opportunity to participate in a little race out into the bay using your emergency rudder. That was fun to watch last time, to almost everyone's chagrin.

Sailors will also be encouraged to practice anchoring. Joe Balderrama might be asked to exhibit his Hail Mary anchoring technique just for entertainment purposes, but is that really the way you want to end a beautiful Pacific experience? Chances are good that you will have assistance with anchoring and sail take-down when you arrive in Kauai, but just in case you arrive at 3 am and only Brian arrives on a surfboard, maybe you want to think about details of anchoring ahead of time.

Bow roller? What's a bow roller? Racers tend not to have bow rollers. Danforth? Spade? Delta? Huh? Now is the time for you to make friends with a cruising sailor on your dock.

Gamayun
01-08-2018, 08:55 PM
How about a 35-lb (?) Bruce on a windlass with 250' of chain? Plus a lighter fluke on 300' of rode as a backup? I think I got this one covered...

Philpott
01-08-2018, 09:38 PM
How about a 35-lb (?) Bruce on a windlass with 250' of chain? Plus a lighter fluke on 300' of rode as a backup? I think I got this one covered...

Yes, Kynntana has a beautiful set up. Doesn't that mean that you could comfortably anchor in a depth of 34'? With the touch of a switch? hahaha. DM doesn't even have a bow roller. Yet. I'm hoping for photographs and suggestions.

AZ Sailor
01-09-2018, 10:39 AM
. . . I'm hoping for photographs and suggestions.

I'm not familiar with the Cal 2-27, so I'm not sure if this will help, but here goes:

My previous boat was a 28’ racer/cruiser made by S-2 Yachts (Model 8.6; a little bigger and cruisier than AlanH’s 7.9), and I gave her a bow roller sort of like this:

I could use two existing bolts on the bow plate on the starboard side of the stem piece on the boat, and the two bolt holes at the aft end of the bow roller. But I had to drill one new hole in the bow roller and one new hole in the bow plate to have three bolts holding the roller in place. In the next picture, the dimple in the bow plate, outboard of the second Phillips-head bolt, was my first attempt to drill the plate with a regular 3/8” drill and half a dozen drill bits:

I was able to finish drilling the bow plate with a much bigger drill from a buddy’s machine shop, tungsten drill bits, and cutting oil. I put a backing plate under the new bolt, matching the existing two. I was happy with the result, and it held steady in many anchoring adventures, some in high-stress conditions.

Well worth the effort if you intend to anchor out more than once every few years.

What the bow roller did not accomplish, however, was any dampening of the swinging on the wind the boat would do at anchor. That problem was caused by the boat's inherent windage: wind on the nose would blow the bow off to one side or the other, and the boat would saw back and forth all night. Not fun, not safe, and bad in a crowded anchorage where you want all boats swinging together as the wind shifts. Adding an anchor-riding sail was the 100% cure for that problem. The harder the wind would blow, the more arrow-straight the boat would hold nose to wind.

Many boats behave well at anchor without a riding sail, but if you find yours does not, the riding sail is well worth the cost and effort.

Good luck. Being able to get some sleep while anchored out is one of the great joys of cruising.

Philpott
01-09-2018, 12:04 PM
Wow, thanks, Lee! Those are really helpful photos. I stayed up late last night, and decided that the Lewmar Medium Fairlead anchor roller (the one you used) seems to be the best for Dura Mater. At 11" x 2 1/8" it will just fit between her nav light and that doohickey thing that holds her roller furler. The difference is that your boat had all that metal at the bow. I will surely need a strong backing plate down below.

One last issue: Do you think my anchor will work with this roller? It is an A80 given to me by John Foster (thank you, John. I know you are up there having an opinion about this as I type).

peter00
01-09-2018, 05:56 PM
This will probably be of no help to anyone but.... my sailmaker, when I ordered my assym., insisted that the efficiency of the sail increased significantly the further forward of the forestay that the tack was located. So I looked at my bow situation and realized I had a dirty great Rochna sticking significantly forward of the bow roller. With very little trouble at all I figured out how I could secure the anchor in place with a couple of dyneema strops and then, using a soft shackle and a block on the Rochna semicircular bar I had a great lead for the assym. downhaul which was well forward. It was easier to do than to describe here and the beauty of it was that when cruising coastwise if there was an emergency and I needed the anchor toot sweet I could just cut the strops and the anchor was ready to go. I also split a hose to cover the bar on the Rochna so the soft shackle wouldn't chafe. Plus the Rochna is one of the best anchors available today which doesn't hurt.

Philpott
01-09-2018, 07:45 PM
I figured out how I could secure the anchor in place with a couple of dyneema strops and then, using a soft shackle and a block on the Rochna semicircular bar I had a great lead for the assym. downhaul which was well forward.

Let me get this straight: You tied down your big fat anchor and used it as the tack for your assymetric spinnaker? Was this on Carlotta? Didn't she already have a significant bowsprit? That would be something to see. Very inventive. Brave, too.

AZ Sailor
01-10-2018, 06:46 AM
I will surely need a strong backing plate down below.

Indeed. The roller is going to take some heavy loads from time to time. You might want to have someone knowledgeable look at the situation to see if other reinforcement is also in order.

I can't tell is that anchor fits that roller. I bought anchor and roller at the same time, so I could test fit in the store.

peter00
01-10-2018, 09:36 AM
Let me get this straight: You tied down your big fat anchor and used it as the tack for your assymetric spinnaker? Was this on Carlotta? Didn't she already have a significant bowsprit? That would be something to see. Very inventive. Brave, too.
This was on Scaramouche with a truly massive assym. I never used it in heavy winds because I couldn't manage it in heavy winds by myself But the loads would be radically scaled down in any of the boats pictured above. For those that don't know, Scaramouche was a 50' alum. IOR boat with a massive fore triangle. I would guess that my system was stronger than the bowsprits typically put together for this application.

mike cunningham
01-10-2018, 02:31 PM
I upped my chain from 15 feet to 50 feet before the race. I am glad I did. The anchor and rode were stored in the aft cabin for the trip over. Once I was offshore I transferred the anchor rode to my drogue and vice versa as I approached Hawaii. I actually deployed the drogue during a 40 Kt session with the dregs of Celia about 350 miles from Kauai. The seaway was getting pretty scary. Anyway, it was a waste of time, within 6 hours the sun was out and and had the best day and night of sailing of the entire trip.

Upon arrival in Kauai David Garman came aboard and helped me get anchored. I do a lot of anchoring but David is a perfectionist. Jacqueline didn't drag at all the entire week I was anchored out. I think that extra chain really helped, although it weights a frikking ton.

My vote is if he doesn't sail this year, we fly David to Kauai and appoint him the Lord High Diode of Anchoring.

peter00
01-10-2018, 05:18 PM
Given that everyone hates all the extra weight of added chain you might find the attached link interesting. the links linked to the link (if you get my drift) are also interesting. Big eye opener for me. http://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-anchors/catenary.php

mike cunningham
01-10-2018, 07:58 PM
That is a very interesting article and food for thought. One additional reason I added more chain is I will often anchor in fairly shallow water subject to significant tidal currents. I have had my nylon rode wrap around the keel more than once as the tide turns. Depending on wind speed you can wind up with some strange boat swings and orientations. If the wind picks up you can get stuck ass to wind with a wrap around the keel. This will happen at about 3:00 AM in the morning. Don't ask how I know this. The longer chain is heavy enough to stay below the keel as the boat swings.

Not a problem for Hanalei fortunately. I have a 15Kg CQR. Based upon the results described in the article it might be time to look for a more modern design although the only time the CQR has failed me was in heavy weed at Monterey. I just could not get the thing to set.

Philpott
01-10-2018, 08:59 PM
Depending on wind speed you can wind up with some strange boat swings and orientations. If the wind picks up you can get stuck ass to wind with a wrap around the keel. . This might be a dumb question, but what would result from a second, small anchor off the stern?

Lanikai
01-10-2018, 10:02 PM
DM doesn't even have a bow roller. Yet. I'm hoping for photographs and suggestions.

Why am I always so sure I have great pictures of these things tucked away in iCloud, and it turns out I don't?

Here's the best I can offer from Happiness. Garhauer AR-20 is the roller. I installed it while anchored in Clipper Cove, using small bits of Starboard and teak that I had aboard as spacers below the roller, and a thicker piece of teak with some huge fender washers for a backing plate belowdeck. The roller just barely squoze between the forestay fitting and the starboard light. With the Danforth yanked up in the roller, ready for deployment, a fluke usually blocks the running light -- another project (mounting a bicolor on the pulpit). I always thought I'd upgrade to an oversize Fortress or one of the new generation spade types, but the no-name little danforth that came with my boat has held through some unexpected conditions and the shank fits easily in the roller so it stays for now. I like having it ready to go. Not a pretty setup, but there are uglier things on this boat. And no spinnaker snags yet, but that's probably just a matter of time.

I see a lot of rollers mounted as far forward as possible. I guess it works for some, but...long moment arm + big swell + yawing, pitching boat = busted roller, chafe, etc. I dun seen it on the internet. I like it mounted as far inboard as possible.

http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=24

BobJ
01-11-2018, 12:35 PM
This was on Scaramouche with a truly massive assym. I never used it in heavy winds because I couldn't manage it in heavy winds by myself But the loads would be radically scaled down in any of the boats pictured above. For those that don't know, Scaramouche was a 50' alum. IOR boat with a massive fore triangle. I would guess that my system was stronger than the bowsprits typically put together for this application.

Found on another forum:

mike cunningham
01-11-2018, 01:26 PM
This might be a dumb question, but what would result from a second, small anchor off the stern?

I tried this once in shallow water at China Camp. There was enough slack in the two rodes to allow the boat to get nearly broadside to the two anchors during the flood. I felt like, and probably was, a complete idiot. I now had a bar taught rode from both the bow and the stern. I don't remember how I finally got off, I do remember it was a complete cluster you know what and provided a half hour of first class entertainment to the other boats anchored there (and no, I couldn't wait for slack water). I never tried this again.

peter00
01-11-2018, 07:08 PM
The last time I was in Hanalei Bay in 2014 one of the other competitors set two anchors because while the boats tend to be wind rode and lie with bows towards the beach the swell comes around the point and is on the beam. The result is a fairly uncomfortable roll. This other fellow set his anchor off the stern but towards the beach so he could hold his boat head to swell. In the normally gentle conditions this apparently made life on board much more comfortable. I had a better idea and slept ashore. Like all open roadsteads Hanalei Bay is a completely untenable anchorage when there is a serious wind shift away from the normal tradewind pattern.

mike cunningham
01-11-2018, 10:26 PM
The last time I was in Hanalei Bay in 2014 one of the other competitors set two anchors because while the boats tend to be wind rode and lie with bows towards the beach the swell comes around the point and is on the beam. The result is a fairly uncomfortable roll. This other fellow set his anchor off the stern but towards the beach so he could hold his boat head to swell. In the normally gentle conditions this apparently made life on board much more comfortable. I had a better idea and slept ashore. Like all open roadsteads Hanalei Bay is a completely untenable anchorage when there is a serious wind shift away from the normal tradewind pattern.

It is amazing how well you can sleep at sea with the boat bucking around like crazy but once you are at anchor, just a little rolling is enough to drive you nuts.

Christian
01-12-2018, 11:36 AM
I don't know why a racing boat would add a bow anchor roller just to anchor in Hanalei. Such an assembly has to be really strong and exists for permanent anchor storage and convenience with a windlass.

Anchoring for a light boat is likely by a bridle from the bow cleats (if you have any). Those cleats have to be strong.

Who wants the weight of an anchor on the bow while racing to Hawaii? That's cruising-boat stuff. Put it down below.

Just opinions, of course.

Gamayun
01-12-2018, 06:15 PM
That's cruising-boat stuff. Put it down below.

Hey now.....

Just opinions, of course.

Whew. Glad to know that, Christian, I do love your videos so your opinions are right in my book and my racer/cruiser bonafides remain intact, though maybe I should post a picture of my new solar arch. I insisted that it have a pull up bar...seriously not kidding. It is so cool, too.

Looking forward to racing ya'll to Kauai!

Gamayun
01-12-2018, 06:19 PM
I tried this once in shallow water at China Camp. There was enough slack in the two rodes to allow the boat to get nearly broadside to the two anchors during the flood. I felt like, and probably was, a complete idiot. I now had a bar taught rode from both the bow and the stern. I don't remember how I finally got off, I do remember it was a complete cluster you know what and provided a half hour of first class entertainment to the other boats anchored there (and no, I couldn't wait for slack water). I never tried this again.

Man, Mike, this makes me laugh out loud every time I read it because I am picturing it exactly. Not that I'm laughing at you, of course; it's more that I see myself completely in your trials and tribulations. I also appreciate you posting them so I can learn from them before making the same goofs!

MichaelJefferson
02-05-2018, 09:38 PM
Howdy everyone,
I have anchored in Hanaleii Bay on 7 ocassions since 1992. Hanaleii Bay is a serious, hard core anchorage and anyone sailing to it would be well advised to ignore people babbling about how you want to go as light as possible and to take along a sizeable main anchor, plenty of chain, and a minimum of 300 feet of good nylon rode of a minimum 1/2" diameter. Your shackles should be very high quality forged ones. World cruisers swear by Crosby 209A shackles. They are easily obtained over the web. Riggingwarehouse.com has them. A 3/8" shackle lists for $11.50. You also need to mouse the shackles with monel or stainless wire, or the pin WILL come out in use. There are a lot of shackles made of the wonder metal Chinesium out there. I use only Crosby 209A and paint them orange. Only an orange painted shackle EVER goes in one of my anchor systems. In addition a second credible anchor and rode should be carried, as well as at least 2 quality snubbers if all chain rodes are used. A Danforth is NOT APPROPRIATE as a main anchor in Hanaleii Bay. A Bruce, CQR, Rocna, or similar anchor can reset when the wind shifts. A Danforth will NOT. I almost lost 4 fingers trying to deal with the consequences of a Danforth popping out on a tide change and not resetting.

Hanaleii Bay is a big, rough tradewinds anchorage, and is subject to violent winds over 50 knots under possible summer situations. It is also generally packed with boats, and the wind direction can easily change by 180 degrees in squalls, or if a tropical depression is passing to the north. You will typically anchor in 30 to 45 feet. The bottom is sand, but without an engine to set the anchor well, boats can and DO drag. There are several reefs nearby which can easily destroy your boat. This is NOT a nice anchorage, although it is beautiful.

In addition, the boat will frequently be plunging and yawing. Long anchor rollers can and probably WILL seriously chafe a nylon rode. Very good chafe gear is essential. Your cleats MUST be strong. Many lighter or older boats have chrome plated Zamac (zinc) cleats. These are absolutely NOT suitable for real anchoring stresses.

I have personally re-anchored many SSS boats with inadequate anchors, some multiple times. The most egregious was a light boat with about a 10 pound Danforth anchor, 6 feet of 1/4" chain and about 100 feet of 3/8" cheesy nylon rode. Really!!??? Please keep in mind that if your boat drags and damages another boat, you are liable for the damages, which can be considerable. In 2016 some unknown person, maybe not SSS, dragged anchor and tore the bowspirit completely off a large local boat. The culprit was not found before I left.

A few extra pounds WILL NOT cost you a victory. Keeping the boat sailing close to its rating 24 hours a day CAN get you one. If this is your first transpac, please DO NOT think of this as casual whoopee surfing down the tradewinds swells. With luck and careful preparation it may be everything you long for. This is a big ocean crossing however, and there are no boatyards or chandleries out there. I have been in races where contestants suffered broken rudders, masts, all the halyards (!) literally chafing through, broken furlers, no working autopilots, no electricity, badly injured or sick skippers, and a whole lot more. It is all shits and giggles until the unthinkable happens and you are standing in ankle deep water in the boat or watching your mast smashing the side of the boat in. Trust me, suddenly you feel VERY SMALL, and the ocean seems REALLY BIG! You may also have to deal with being caught in a tropical depression or even a hurricane. I left Hanaleii Bay 2 weeks before Hurricane Iniki devastated Kauai. I just missed Hurricane Danielle 4 years later. In 2016 FOUR tropical depressions crossed the race course during the race, one catching the back end of the fleet in 50+ knot winds. After one race I did not do, there were 12 foot breakers coming into Hanaleii Bay after a depression passed to the north.

I am sorry to take such a loud and strident position on these issues, but I have seen the results of taking both the seamanship aspects of the race and anchoring in Hanaleii Bay too lightly. Beefing up your cleats and anchoring system will have NO impact on your finishing position, and may save your boat. I am sure many will disagree with me, but if you drag and hit my boat, there will be consequences. If you hit one of the locals, those consequences could be really ugly. Speaking broadly, the locals are not fond of the SSS fleet. This is not just a long day race. You are crossing an ocean. If you prepare well, you will almost certainly be safe and have fun.

If anyone wants to discuss these our other issues relating to the race, just hit me up. Better bring earplugs, and maybe a tranquilizer gun...

All the best,
Michael
S/V Mouton Noir

BobJ
02-05-2018, 10:49 PM
Better bring earplugs, and maybe a tranquilizer gun...

Yes, that's all a bit extreme. I have a 5,500# boat and had no trouble after my SHTPs, using one size up from the recommended anchoring gear for my boat.

If you want to bring earplugs, I'll bend your ear about how I wish more entrants would treat this as a race, which it is. A good finish result depends on the accumulation of many small things, most of which are weight and performance-related. Folks can cruise to Kauai anytime they want - they don't need the SHTP to do that.

oregonian
02-05-2018, 10:57 PM
Thanks for that Michael. Well said. I hope it gets through.

AZ Sailor
02-06-2018, 06:40 AM
Well, very nice discussion here. Mike, your description of Hanalei Bay as an anchorage is an eye-opener, but welcome. Cruising guides tend to sugar coat. Nice to have first hand, long time experience weigh in.

And to Bob's point, it is a race. Which brings to mind an issue I have been wondering about. Morning Star has a nice fat CQR hanging out on a big bow roller, with 200' of all-chain rode in a chain locker at the forepeak. That's an awful lot of weight at the extreme forward end of the boat. I hope to bury all that as low and as close to the center of the boat as possible, once I have the boat up to SF. What I don't know is what it might be like trying to put the ground tackle back in place. Is that something one does out to sea before the finish? That doesn't sound like fun, or conducive to maintaining boat speed to the end. On the other hand, unless one is finishing in daylight, with a decent-sized boat ready to accept a raft-up, how do you deal with it after the finish? Curious as to what the collective wisdom is on this. Do people tend to race across the Pacific with ground tackle at the bow the whole time? Or do you stow it all below and figure out how to deal with it as you approach the island, based on anticipated arrival time and conditions?

MichaelJefferson
02-06-2018, 08:41 AM
Hello Lee,
The odds of arriving in Hanaleii at midnight in a squall are just as good as arriving in the daylight with clear weather. Having done both, I will say that regardless of the arrival conditions, until the committee boat meets you to help get you into the bay, you will likely be too busy to do much but try to manage the sails and your course. Here is the problem from the seamanship point of view:

It is very appealing to stow the anchor and chain at the dock before the race somewhere nice and low, tied down well. But what if something goes wrong between the starting gun and seeing the farallones in the rear view mirror? Shit really does happen at sea. Usually the one thing that COULDN'T happen! One of our best sailors lost his Sidney 38 some years back when he got a bad spinnaker wrap coming back from the Singlehanded Farallones race some years ago. The boat was 3 miles offshore when it happened, and he was unable to get the spinnaker unwrapped. The boat lay on its side and blew towards the rocks north of Point Bonita. Quickly! He tried to deploy his emergency anchor, but it was a typical ultralight anchor system, and he lowered it too slowly, with the result that the anchor sailed, and never touched bottom. In a very short time, he was on the rocks and the boat was lost. Moral is that bad things CAN happen at any time.

An alternative to stowing the ground tackle before the race is to have an emergency anchor, such as a Fortress or medium size Danforth, along with 50 feet of 5/16" chain and a 300 foot double braid in a bag, ready to go. If you have to deploy it, do so quickly, so that the anchor drops straight to the bottom, and let out line very fast, so that by the time any strain comes on the anchor, you have sufficient scope to get it to set.

When you get to Hanaleii, the emergency anchor can be used to anchor you temporarily while you lug the big anchor on deck, and sweat the chain out of the locker and assemble it on deck. Usually the race committee will help you anchor, and a few more hands can make this easy. You can also make big circles while you prepare the main anchor. A trick I use is to attach a 6 part tackle to the spinnaker halyard about 6 feet above deck. I run a safety line through the bow roller and secure the end to a cleat or the windlass. The other end is tied to the shackle of the anchor, and the lower part of the tackle is attached to a shackle in the crown of the anchor. The tackle does the lifting of the anchor and the safety line allows you to pull the shank through the bow roller. You then connect the shackle and mouse it with some stainless wire and away you go! Trying to feed the anchor through the bow roller by hand, leaning over the pulpit, is a great way to really hurt yourself. Also wear shoes! Dropping the anchor on your bare toes is a bad idea.

Look, this RACE!, RACE!, RACE! thing is a great motivator, and adds a lot of intensity and spice to the TransPac. It really IS a race, and the winners are usually excellent racing sailors who push VERY, VERY hard the whole way and VERY MUCH want to win. But if this is your first singlehanded ocean passage, just getting there safely will mean as much to you as any trophy. The joy and satisfaction of seeing Kauai appear after several weeks at sea alone will stay with you forever. The result of the race, not as much. Abandoning good seamanship and stripping the boat is just a bad idea in my opinion. There is a real learning curve to managing a boat so that it is fast 24 hours a day. And to managing yourself, too. Give yourself some generous margins the first time. An Erickson 32 is not going to be as much affected by weight as, say, an Olson 30. You will occasionally exceed displacement hull speed for a short time in surfs. The Olson will go a knot faster per 2 knots of wind speed, all else equal.

So with respect to your original question about whether or not to take off the anchor and chain: My recommendation is that you consider taking the anchor off and stowing it, probably before the start. Leave the chain in the locker, and be SURE to secure and tag the ends with big pieces of colored 1" webbing, different colors for each end. The chain will probably shift and get tossed around at sea, and if you lose the working end it is a really painful ordeal to find it. Depending on how your chain hawse is set up, consider attaching the working end of the chain to the inside of the hawse hole cover, either with a small shackle to an eye on the inside of the cover or with the end of the webbing, so it is easy to get singlehanded from the deck. Make up a good emergency anchor as described above (making sure the shackles are moused and the wire is dressed so it doesn't rip you up when you stagger around the boat trying to deploy it in a hurry). Note,
If you DO deploy the emergency anchor, tie off the bitter end BEFORE deploying. I know of several people who have watched the end of the anchor line vanish overboard with disbelief. Anyway, if conditions permit, you can put the anchor back in the roller before the finish, or after the committee comes aboard at the finish. Do not underestimate the dangers of carrying heavy, awkward objects like an anchor around the boat at sea, even in a calm. You can get really hurt. I suggest having a tool kit for the anchoring: A tub of lanacote to coat the shackle pins, Precut lengths of wire to mouse the shackles, A beefy pair of needle nose pliers for the wire, an 8 or 10 inch crescent wrench to tighten the shackle, maybe a wire cutter, a few spare Crosby 209A shackles of the appropriate size, a few cable ties, some velcroed chafe sleeves, with 1/8" by 3 feet lines attached to tie them off, some work gloves, and a BIG flat blade screwdriver (used to screw around with the chain near the windlass- NEVER, NEVER grab the anchor chain with your hands, you can lose fingers in a flash).

I am sure that whatever you decide, you will end up safely anchored in Hanaleii Bay. My opinions are just that: MY opinions, formed by MY experiences and those of others I have talked to. Although I have done 5 SSS TransPacs, I have never won any trophies, and do not expect to. My boat is heavy, and i am loathe to go to sea without what I feel are sufficient resources to manage whatever happens. Clearly that is impossible, but there is a wide spectrum of problems which with the right tools, supplies, knowledge, and a bit of luck CAN be managed.

All the best,
Michael
S/V Mouton Noir

p.s. For reference, I have a 110 pound Bruce and a 65 pound Bruce carried on the bow at all times, with 400 feet of 3/8" chain resident in the anchor locker along with 900 feet of 3/4" double braid nylon rodes. I have a huge Lofrans Falkon windlass mounted quite a bit forward. The boat is a 47 foot aluminum expedition sailboat, and designed for this much weight forward.

BobJ
02-06-2018, 09:29 AM
Oregonian's SARABAND (a Westsail 32) has won the Pacific Cup overall and has come close to doing so in the SHTP. I'll wager it isn't 60% over its designed weight, as a certain Yamaha 33's PHRF certificate says it is. SARABAND floated high and sprightly before the start in 2010 and I observed no excess gear aboard. It's a Westsail 32 but it was very much in racing trim. That's a big part of how you "sail a boat to its rating."

To AZ's question, pitching moment (as I've heard it called) can be significantly improved by keeping weight out of the ends of the boat. This will result in a more comfortable and faster ride. So I would absolutely stow the heavier gear somewhere other than on the bow. I would also consider the weight of all the paraphernalia that is often seen on the sterns of cruising boats.

SHTP used to require two anchors. This allowed for a lighter set-up for possible use pre-start (the current can be heavy and the wind light off the CYC) and in emergencies near the coast. Now that only one anchor is required the decision is harder. I'd probably take my lighter set-up (which still meets the rule) and ship over my heavier set-up in the SHTP "crate."

Finally, not everyone can do the SHTP twice (or more), once as a cruise and once as a race. There are many opportunities to go cruising to gain offshore experience. This is the Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race.

MichaelJefferson
02-06-2018, 11:15 AM
Bob,
Foxxfyre's weight was grossly underestimated in the manufacturers brochure. After many years in the water, the hull was saturated with water, which contributed quite a bit to the basic weight of the boat. Although I have always carried a lot more tools and spares than many competitors, the weight increase was nowhere NEAR 60% over designed weight. I do sort of feel offended by your remarks. I sailed Foxxfyre HARD in both the three TransPacs I did in her, as well as MANY thousands of miles around the Eastern Pacific. I have never "cruised" to Hawaii in the TransPac. Many competitors have benefited from my tools and spares after arrival in Hawaii, and they have allowed me to repair a number of fairly serious breakdowns at sea over the years. My motivations in doing the TransPac are perhaps different than yours, but I do not feel that they in any way diminish my credibility or right to do the race. Almost all my finishes have been mid fleet, but my memories and enjoyment in the hard sailing, the camaraderie and bonds made with the other sailors far transcend any happiness that getting a trophy would create FOR ME.

Something else to consider is that I, as well as many others, sail BACK to San Francisco. This passage is much more serious than the TransPac, and having extra tools, supplies, and fuel aboard is prudent and good seamanship.

The Singlehanded TransPac has always been a Corinthian race- a race where you sail what you have. It has also been billed as the adventure of a lifetime, and it is. If you wish to exclude boats which you feel are not "racy" enough I would oppose you vigorously. We have had "fast" boats in the TransPac before, such as Steve Fossett's Lakota, or the Open 50 a few races ago. They were totally out of phase with the other boats in the fleet, and the owners were also. They were fast, though. But so what? This is a low budget race which competitors do as much for the thrill of singlehanding across an ocean as for a trophy. There are fewer trophies than competitors. Should those who will not likely win one not race? If you feel that this race should try to attract high dollar sponsored boats then the character of the race would forever be lost. If the racing is not intense enough, perhaps doing the West Marine Pacific up Doublehanded would appeal? They seem fairly cutthroat.

I despise ad hominem sniping and negative comments in forums, which is why I rarely participate in them. If you want to have a spirited discussion of the future of the SingleHanded TransPac, start a thread on that and maybe I will chip in. My conservative approach to ocean passages may not appeal to all. That is fine, but for people who have never done one before, I do feel that hearing from someone who has been through quite a few serious issues at sea and lived to tell about it does have a place at the table. Once you are 1000 miles offshore, it is too late to run down to the chandlery for a bolt or extra vise grip. Many people who sail "fast" boats, especially those who do not sail them back from Hawaii, place a disproportional emphasis on "light is fast". And it is. Until it isn't. Even the Volvo and Vendee Globe boats carry huge inventories of spare parts and supplies, although having big shore crews and giant funding means that they can grind them down to the bare minimum, weight wise. Anyway, it is each skipper's decision as to how to prepare and sail their boats. Having disparate viewpoints to think about can only help insure that their choices make sense for them.

Michael
S/V Mouton Noir
former S/V Foxxfyre

BobJ
02-06-2018, 12:05 PM
Depending where you look, the designed weight was between 9,700 and 10,584#. The boat's PHRF certificate says 16,000# That's 60%.

I don't dis boats for not being "racy enough" for the SHTP. That's why I use SARABAND as an example. She was as well-prepared and "racy" as you could imagine.

I sailed Rags home solo in 2006, so I get that part.

But your last two sentences are the key.

sleddog
02-06-2018, 12:07 PM
Sorry to have been late to the anchoring party. Having anchored a dozen times at Hanalei since 1973, in all design and lengths of race boats, I think I have a pretty good feel for the place. Yes, unless you are packing 50 or more feet of substantial chain, a Danforth style anchor is inappropriate as a primary anchor at Hanalei. When a squall's windshift blows through, usually late at night, the Danforth style anchor can trip, then not reset in the hard pack sand/coral shell bottom. This has led to untended boats occasionally disappearing from the Bay.

I can't imagine sailing to Kauai with an anchor and chain on the bow. But some do. There is usually ample time in the last 24 hours to assemble your anchoring gear in position. A second, smaller anchor is not a bad idea.

WILDFLOWER was 27 feet, 6,000 pounds. My primary anchor was a 22 pound CQR with 50 feet of 1/4" chain and 150 feet of 9/16" Gold Line. I also carried a 12 pound lead salmon ball as a kellet if the boat was sailing at anchor.. As well as several split rubber plumbing hoses for chafe gear. Never dragged that rig in 33 years and could retrieve it by hand without a windlass.

AZ Sailor
02-06-2018, 02:54 PM
A ton of great information here the last two days. Thanks very much for these contributions. And, yes, the "disparate viewpoints" are extremely helpful. I think I'll be adding that second, lighter ground tackle system in a bag on deck for departure and arrival. Don't know if it will be feasible to send the primary in the crate, so it might all end up secured down below. Given that this boat comes in at almost 12,000# empty, I don't think carrying both systems will slow me down enough to matter. Getting weight out of the ends to improve the motion and the speed is what I'm more concerned with.

I may not race all that often, but when I do I am certainly trying to beat every boat in my class -- even though I never have and don't expect to here. But going out on increasingly longer sails, and treating them like races by trying to keep the boat moving as fast as possible all the time, has been a really eye-opening experience and a lot of fun. Look out, Bill, I've got Dolfin in the cross hairs. :)

If it was just a matter of making a first ocean crossing, it would be a lot easier and cheaper to sail from San Diego to Hilo.

The Smokester
02-07-2018, 11:01 AM
Bob,
...Many competitors have benefited from my tools and spares after arrival in Hawaii, and they have allowed me to repair a number of fairly serious breakdowns at sea over the years. My motivations in doing the TransPac are perhaps different than yours, but I do not feel that they in any way diminish my credibility or right to do the race. Almost all my finishes have been mid fleet, but my memories and enjoyment in the hard sailing, the camaraderie and bonds made with the other sailors far transcend any happiness that getting a trophy would create FOR ME.

Mike, As one of the many beneficiaries of your largess, I have to say that you are one of the sparkling points of light in the SHTP.

And if one wants to learn about anchoring in Hanalei Bay, a good surrogate is Drakes Bay in a blow, another open roadsted which is well protected until the wind shifts. And shift it did this summer during the Drakes Bay 1-2 this past summer 2017. Nothing more upsetting that waking up in the morning and seeing one of the raciest boats in the Bay Area (a beautiful Antrim 40) on her side up on the beach following an early-morning wind shift. And she wasn't the only one to be damaged that night.

BobJ
02-07-2018, 12:35 PM
Michael IS a good guy and has been a big help to many. Had he not started his first of three rants with this, I wouldn't have reacted so curtly:

"anyone sailing to it would be well advised to ignore people babbling about how you want to go as light as possible..."

Perhaps the most fascinating aspect of this race is the resource management challenge. It doesn't mean going as light as possible and I've never promoted that - you can't win if you don't finish. But it also doesn't mean accepting a one-size-fits-all solution to ground tackle, regardless of the size and weight of the boat, as was presented in the first rant.

Over my years in the SSS I've learned that most SHTP hopefuls are pretty bright people (they sail after all!) and will make wise choices when presented with the options.

The Smokester
02-07-2018, 01:20 PM
Michael IS a good guy and has been a big help to many. Had he not started his first of three rants with this, I wouldn't have reacted so curtly:

"anyone sailing to it would be well advised to ignore people babbling about how you want to go as light as possible..."

Perhaps the most fascinating aspect of this race is the resource management challenge. It doesn't mean going as light as possible and I've never promoted that - you can't win if you don't finish. But it also doesn't mean accepting a one-size-fits-all solution to ground tackle, regardless of the size and weight of the boat, as was presented in the first rant.

Over my years in the SSS I've learned that most SHTP hopefuls are pretty bright people (they sail after all!) and will make wise choices when presented with the options.

You're another good guy, Bob. Many thanks for the good advice over the past few years.

dolfinbill
02-07-2018, 07:04 PM
If it was just a matter of making a first ocean crossing, it would be a lot easier and cheaper to sail from San Diego to Hilo.

You've got that right, Lee. For us out of town buglighters, we at least need to carry heavy ground tackle for the trip up to San Francisco - then what? Once there I was so busy with everything else and so used to that big CQR on the bow that it kind of hid there all the way to Kauai. No wonder I didn't win! A 45lb plow with 270ft of 5/16 chain in the chain locker, not to mention a Monitor wind vane on the stern. But it sure came in handy when Dolfin arrived in Hanalei. I admit that my instincts are much more those of a cruiser than a racer which Mike might appreciate but with which Bob may have some issues. Not to mention Skip, who fortunately didn't witness me crossing the starting line like some big Navy ship with huge anchor ready to drop. I have so much respect for you all, which is why I want to be a part of this amazing race once again. But maybe I need to off load some of my cruising stuff this time.

Bill Meanley
Dolfin, Pacific Seacraft 37

The Smokester
02-08-2018, 08:30 PM
...maybe I need to off load some of my cruising stuff this time.

Bill Meanley
Dolfin, Pacific Seacraft 37

Nah. Just get bigger sails!

dolfinbill
02-09-2018, 12:59 PM
Nah. Just get bigger sails!

But then I would just have to reef more.

hodgmo
02-11-2018, 02:13 PM
In addition to the informative perspectives seen in this forum, consider looking at “The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring” by Earl R Hinz, and “Staying Put” by Brian Fagan, both available on Amazon. The Hinz book is analytical and so may especially appeal to engineering-minded people. Fagan’s book is more general, and includes some fun how-to sections, for example, anchoring under sail.

In the 2012 race Frolic (Islander 36, ~15,000 lb) carried her well-proven Santa Barbara Island cruising anchor systems: a 44 lb Claw (Bruce knockoff) with 300 ft of chain, and two complete sets of lighter anchor systems with nylon/chain rode (250 and 450 ft), one rigged on the stern, and the other as a backup and for kedging (forced by wind shifts). The heavy, all-chain bow system is easily handled with a powerful Nillson Windlass (with engine running). During the race, the 44 lb’er was lashed just aft of the mast on the cabin sole, and the chain was in the bilge. During the last day of sailing, about 100 nm out of Hanalei, I re-installed the 44 lb anchor and chain on the bow – which, as Michael points out, can be, and in this case was, a perilous (and tiring) operation. I’ll never do that again!

In the 2014 race, trying to be more racy, I removed a lot of mass off Frolic including her ~50 lb windlass, and the 44 lb anchor - which was shipped with other gear wanted for the return to Hanalei (thanks Dave!). Onboard, I carried a 27 lb Danforth with about 50 ft of chain and 200 ft of nylon rode, both stowed in the bilge. This was a simple system to rig as I approached the finish, and I had no trouble anchoring, including a solid set using the inboard. After I retrieved the 44 lb anchor in Hanalei, I swapped out the Danforth for that. Also, mainly for the start (in a flood), I carried a ~10 lb Aluminum Danforth-style (Viking) anchor with a lighter, shorter rode in a bag in the cockpit locker, rigged and ready for quick deployment. Turns out there was enough wind to sail out, so the latter system was never used.

If I do the race again in Frolic or a similar sized boat, I’d handle anchoring the same as I did in 2014. On a much lighter boat, I’d have a much lighter system (duh!), probably using a small Fortress (one size up from ‘spec’ as Bob mentioned above). I wouldn’t do the return on any boat without at least two complete anchoring systems aboard that I’d used before. Truthfully, having had to ditch an anchor and rode several times to escape a suddenly-turned dangerous anchorage, I don’t think I’d do any offshore race without two anchoring systems aboard, even if the backup was rightfully considered to be marginal.

An interesting aside: despite having to anchor and re-anchor several times in 2012 and 2014, I never used the windlass in Hanalei. In 2012 it didn’t work (footswitch failure due to water ingress), and in 2014 it wasn’t there. In both cases, I really missed having the windlass! This of course isn’t an issue for smaller boats.

“If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are.” Zen Proverb

Submarino
02-11-2018, 10:39 PM
In 2014 I displaced 2450 lbs. I carried an aluminum Fortress, 13.5' chain and about 200 feet of rope. Couldn't back it down or didn't bother to ask. I anchored in about 15 feet. While I was knocked out under a condo-ed roof & cool sheet, the boat drifted west toward coral. How lucky was I that Cliff on Rainbow was nearby. He tried to pull her with the dinghy to no avail and then shouted for help, boat sleepers awoke to his cries and helped re-anchor her. I am indebted to Cliff and the other Cruisers who came to his aid.

Afterward, Brian and I attached my steel Danforth (feels like 25 lbs) that I had shipped over in the crate and it held for the remainder. This was in addition to the aluminum anchor. In other words, I had two bites. I dived the anchors daily to ensure they were holding. In 2014, there were no strong tropical depressions coming through as in 2016.

If I return in 2024, I will again arrive just after lunch, carry the heavy steel Danforth, ask the launch boat to back her down, and have George dive her daily.

Oh forgot to mention that you may not be all of yourself upon arrival. I lost my voice, wretched my left shoulder and was goofy grinning, so I was very happy to receive help getting sails down and anchoring.

jamottep
02-12-2018, 09:46 AM
was goofy grinning

Love it ... reminds me of my youth and exploring other venues besides school/college for mind expansion ...

BobJ
02-16-2018, 04:28 PM
I'll just leave this here:

Anchoring in Hanalei Bay (https://www.facebook.com/NautiKnotsFL/videos/152538672131211/?fref=gs&dti=748354018542060&hc_location=group)

Daydreamer
09-19-2018, 01:26 PM
Nightmare is a 4700 lb Wilderness 30, might add a few pounds for extra gear.

I don't have a bow roller or chocks for my anchor rode.

It was suggested to set up a bridle so the bow and rode don't destroy each other.

I used an old piece of 3/16 dyneema lifeline, about 9 feet long. Put brummel splices on each end and doubled it through a section of fire hose and attached it to the toe rails with a couple of shackles. Put a hitch in the rode around the bridle/hose and backed it up on the bow cleat.

Worked very well.

Thought I would add this in case anyone came across this thread looking for anchoring tips.

Philpott
09-22-2018, 09:13 PM
Very nice, Greg. Thank you! Simple, effective and inexpensive. I love it. Here's a video I found from the day before the start of the Race:

https://vimeo.com/291326632