PDA

View Full Version : Lodging in Hanalei

jamottep
01-16-2018, 05:49 PM
Good day,
I'm looking into the cost of bringing wife and daughter to Hanalei for the arrival but lodging cost seem prohibitive.
What are reasonable options there?

DaveH
01-16-2018, 06:19 PM
Well, it is Hawaii.
and in Hanalei, your options can be limited.
basically, you will find it's pretty typical hotel pricing... somewhere between $230 & $330 per night for a condo room or a suite type arrangement in a house.
Depending on how flexible and persistent you are, there are lower priced surf shack type stuff out there.
Or you can pay much more for a single house near the beach.

Try VBRO.com for a decent sampling.

DH

Gamayun
01-16-2018, 11:47 PM
If they don't mind a little drive, I stayed at Olana Farm, which is near the Kilauea Lighthouse. It has a really nice single room or a full suite above for more people. This is in a separate lodging from the main home so very private; however, it is a working farm where a few young people stay to work/live for a few months at a time. It was a great bunch of people. I hooked up with a couple of the kids one day and they took me surfing. We also made dinner a couple of times out at the camp's cooking shack. I always had fresh fruit and vegetables. I think I stayed around 8 days altogether. Tell Tim and Olana that Carliane said hello :) They also provided a really nice tour of their farm for some of the sailors in 2014. Back then, the single room was $50/night.

http://www.olanafarm.org

AZ Sailor
01-25-2018, 10:34 AM
Not expecting any one to fly over to join me, my present plan for lodging is to live aboard at anchor in Hanalei Bay. Assuming nothing breaks that requires boat yard time, of course, I figure I can provision and prep for the return sail from there. I'll have a roll up dinghy, with a 2 hp outboard (understanding not to leave the outboard on the dinghy if leaving it unattended for long), and a fold-up bicycle for shore-side transportation. If logistics permit I'd probably ship the dinghy, outboard, and bicycle in "the crate." If not, I don't think the added weight would be much of an issue on my 6-ton croozer.

This plan, of course, has been formulated largely in ignorance -- I have no first-hand local knowledge and no experience coming off of 2+ weeks at sea. But I have lived aboard at anchor for days at a time on more than a few occasions. What I've read suggests Hanalei Bay in July is usually a reasonably comfortable anchorage.

All thoughts and suggestions welcomed.

mike cunningham
01-29-2018, 08:20 PM
If they don't mind a little drive, I stayed at Olana Farm, which is near the Kilauea Lighthouse. It has a really nice single room or a full suite above for more people. This is in a separate lodging from the main home so very private; however, it is a working farm where a few young people stay to work/live for a few months at a time. It was a great bunch of people. I hooked up with a couple of the kids one day and they took me surfing. We also made dinner a couple of times out at the camp's cooking shack. I always had fresh fruit and vegetables. I think I stayed around 8 days altogether. Tell Tim and Olana that Carliane said hello :) They also provided a really nice tour of their farm for some of the sailors in 2014. Back then, the single room was $50/night.

http://www.olanafarm.org

Hanalei is a beautiful place especially as the sun is just setting over the hills, its magical. I think you have a viable plan with a few caveats

Re-provisioning by dingy is doable, the small surf in Hanalei is manageable with a little care. Some days it's zero and some days your surfing USA. Never more than an foot or 18 inches of surf (while I was there) but even that can get pretty exciting with a dingy full of stuff and a motor to worry about. I also think it may be a bit tedious depending on amount of fuel you intend to carry. The powers that be seem to take a casual approach to a rental car parked over night in the beach park lot and I think you may want to consider renting something for a few days to transport all your provisions to the beach area and have a place to stash your motor when ashore. Having said this, the island bus service is excellent so you could go that route too. Exception would probably be fuel. In 16 the SSS rented a place near the beach and allowed us all to keep our rafts/motors etc. there so maybe that is an option too. Fresh water is available at park spigots as are bathrooms so you can use those when ashore. Not sure about the water for drinking but fine for showers and cleaning stuff. You will probably wind up at anchor 800 feet off the beach more or less. It was a bit of a pain rowing an inflatable, not so with a small motor.

If you decide to do a car rental, make reservations before the race. You will get charged twice as much if you do an impromptu rental (at least at the airport outfits).

Be advised the anchorage can be rolly polly and usually was while I was there (about a week). Plan on a nightly "squeak" patrol. I had a bottle of Jack and some Capt. Morgan's that kept clanking together, what a pain, I hated to do it but had to drink both and throw them out to shut them up. Its not that bad really but it's not Clipper Cove either.

Repairs may be challenging depending on what they are but you can make a decision to head down to Nawiliwili once you arrive. Berths there can be had but IMO you are way way better off going there yourself personally to coordinate. Smile and be nice. Phone calls to the Marina are not the way to go if you can do it in person. The Marina crew were extremely friendly and helpful when I went down there.