PDA

View Full Version : Pre-race slip for out of area boats?

AZ Sailor
02-02-2018, 02:30 PM
I'll be looking for a Bay Area slip for Morning Star for at least a few weeks before the race, and welcome any suggestions on best locations. Alameda seems to have been something of a gathering spot for the out of town racers, but I don't know if that is just coincidence or there are good reasons to look there. Clipper Yacht Marina in Sausalito is a lot closer to CYC, looks to have plenty of services, and they say I'll have no trouble getting guest dock space or a slip if I call a couple of weeks before arrival.

Thoughts?

Gamayun
02-02-2018, 10:55 PM
I'm biased, but I love Oakland Marinas (Almar). Pretty sure we have some space. It takes about 2 hours to get to Sausalito. I can also recommend Treasure Island - perfect locale for a boat on the bay -- but it's a little tricky at low tide and there's not much on the island these days. Can you tell I like quirky places....?

peter00
02-03-2018, 02:46 PM
The Richmond Yacht Club was very good to us with guest moorings but more comradery with other like minded people in Alameda

Daydreamer
02-03-2018, 11:35 PM
I keep my boat at Marina Bay yacht harbor in Richmond.
Plenty of guest slips.
Under an hour to Corinthian YC

The Smokester
02-04-2018, 12:49 PM
Owl is also in Marina Bay Yacht Harbor which is in Richmond. Lots of room here and probably cheaper than most. Safe and secure. Less than an hour's sail to the Corinthian. It is close to Chandleries, riggers, boatyards and the Richmond and Berkeley Yacht Clubs but is a bit more removed from conveniences than Alameda and Clipper (Sausalito) and you will need a bicycle, car or Uber/Lyft. There are at least three or four boats here ramping up for SHTP2018 so lots of simpatico.

tboussie
02-04-2018, 09:04 PM
I will go out on a limb and recommend berthing in San Francisco. I keep my boat in the SF Marina, where there are generally side-tie guest berths available (at a price). There is also Pier 39 and South Beach (as well as a few yacht clubs if you have reciprocal membership). I doubt that these are the cheapest options available, and it is certainly not a good choice if you need ready access to marine services, but the upside is that you are in San Francisco - a truly great American city. Even at guest berth rates it's the cheapest room in town.

Alternatively, if you keep the boat elsewhere, it is worth staying at least a night or two in SF while in the Bay Area.

Gamayun
02-05-2018, 08:50 PM
Alternatively, if you keep the boat elsewhere, it is worth staying at least a night or two in SF while in the Bay Area.

This is great advice no matter where you decide on, Lee. South Beach after one of their Friday night series, Sausalito for Jazz in the park, Golden Gate and Corinthian YCs for amazing views any time of the week, Richmond YC for their dinners, and Treasure Island YC for nearby wine tasting and the swap meet, if you catch it just right. You will have to pay for South Beach, however. No YC privileges there unless you're just pulling in for a short stay....

AZ Sailor
02-06-2018, 06:52 AM
This is great advice no matter where you decide on....

Yes, I love San Francisco. Lived in a studio apartment on Bush Street, just up from China Town, while working as a bus boy at a restaurant in the financial district during my aimless youth, and have been back on various work and play occasions as an adult. It's a big part of why the 500 mile slog to weather for the start of the race will not deter me.