PDA

View Full Version : SSS Corinthian 2018

jamottep
02-04-2018, 10:13 PM
Good day,
I signed up for this event but I couldn't find the SI on Jibeset. Did I miss them?
Thanks in advance.

Daydreamer
02-05-2018, 09:04 AM
Usually it is closer to the skippers meeting before the SI's are posted.

AlanH
02-09-2018, 01:49 PM
I sent in my PHRF application yesterday. Hopefully it comes back in time.

Wylieguy
02-20-2018, 06:17 PM
That's the most confusing starring instructions I've ever seen! I suggest a 2nd radio channel to handle the call ins asking "When's my start." Why try to invent a new wheel when the perfectly round one has been working for years?
Pat Broderick

Philpott
02-20-2018, 07:50 PM
That's the most confusing starring instructions I've ever seen! I suggest a 2nd radio channel to handle the call ins asking "When's my start." Why try to invent a new wheel when the perfectly round one has been working for years?
Pat Broderick

Caaaareful now. Remember that this is a volunteer position and our new race chair is the new guy. He doesn't know what chaos looks like yet. He thinks he does because he ran the Fiasco. But only four boats finished during the Fiasco. Wait until Saturday night. Then we can debate all the things he should have done to benefit each of us personally. For the time being, I'm going to be reeeeal nice to him.

Jim, can I buy you a beer after the race Saturday night? Dura Mater and I will be coming in waaaay after the multi hulls. See you then. Jackie

solosailor
02-21-2018, 08:49 AM
The RC did reach out to many to ask for opinions...... I was in the camp of "if it has worked for all these years and our numbers are the highest they have ever been why change the working formula?". The start time should not be changed unless a freighter decides to go through Raccoon Straight.

BobJ
02-21-2018, 09:00 AM
Jim wanted to set up the printed start times to allow for a postponement. I did the same thing when I was race chair - I worded it differently but with the same intent.

These will be large divisions, and with the (often) light air we get off the CYC, the starting line can be mostly blocked off by divisions starting ahead of you. We've also had boats catch the pin, blocking it and moving it around.

I suggest racers review the timing sequence for a postponement and be prepared. I've also encouraged Jim to keep us informed via VHF if there's a need to postpone.

AlanH
02-21-2018, 12:42 PM
*frustrated*...No PHRF cert, yet. Gaaaa....

Wylieguy
02-21-2018, 03:24 PM
The RRS have it all. Postponements happen all the time (try this weekend's CYC MidWins for instance). Following the RRS procedures makes for uniform practice. Yes, slow starts, catching the pin, waiting for wind, mistakes by someone raising the wrong flag, they all happen. And, they all can be "corrected" using the RRS. Racers should know the rules. That's all.,

Philpott
02-21-2018, 04:21 PM
The RRS have it all. Postponements happen all the time (try this weekend's CYC MidWins for instance). Following the RRS procedures makes for uniform practice. Yes, slow starts, catching the pin, waiting for wind, mistakes by someone raising the wrong flag, they all happen. And, they all can be "corrected" using the RRS. Racers should know the rules. That's all.,

huh

Wylieguy
02-21-2018, 06:20 PM
I dropped out of Sailing Anarchy years ago when folks stopped respecting others. I dropped out of Pressure Drop for the same reason a year or so ago. Now, after being an SSS member since 1984 and a participant in the SSS Forum since its inception, it appears it's time for me to drop out of the Forum as well. It's been informative, I've enjoyed sharing, and I thought the level of response was, well responsible. Unfortunately I was wrong. I'll be set the Starting Line on time Saturday. Pat Broderick, "NANCY" Wyliecat #28890

Philpott
02-21-2018, 06:47 PM
That photo is entitled "complaining monkeys" and is meant to mock people LIKE ME who complain about the starting line-up because it is to our disadvantage. I'm sorry if you were offended, Pat. I would not mock someone else, only myself.

BobJ
02-21-2018, 07:08 PM
I didn't drop out of Sailing Anarchy and Pressure Drop - I was pushed (banned). Apparently I have the touch.

Pat, I hope you'll continue to post here. We all appreciate your input.

AlanH
02-22-2018, 10:23 AM
About 25% of Sailing Anarchy is a cesspool, that's for sure. Honestly, I think that's down from the worst of it, maybe 6=7 years ago when I just quit writing there. However, the informed and helpful response to my rudder thread over there was a big surprise. There are good, helpful folks at SA. I think the worst of it is in the ongoing "bash" threads in General Anarchy, like the threads on Rimas...Dimas, whatever his name is. I didn'nt write at SA for years and years. Now I'm back, mostly in the more-polite Cruising forum.

Pressure Drop has seemed pretty gentlemanly to me, but it's awfully quiet.

Pat, I'd hate to see you disappear from the SSS forum. I'd really hate to see that happen. Stick around, we all could use seeing what you have to say. I think that Jackies howler monkey picture was a jest, not mean-spirited. She's just not like that! Sometimes here on-line the nuances of our attempts at humour fall flat.

skatzman
02-22-2018, 04:53 PM
I would likewise hate to see Pat (WylieGuy) disappear from this forum. I value his writing and thoughts. I gave up on SA long ago. I'd count it a feather in your cap that you were banned from it. PD is cool if a bit under used.

Now, perhaps I'm missing something, but the starting times and signals seem OK. Please advise me if there is anything other then go to the end of the line if you're in a class that's General Recall.

Particularly at the Corinthian it is impossible to see the signal flags. I encourage the Race Committee to use VHF to inform the racers of where they are in the sequence and if there is postponement or any change in things. Take a page from Bobbi Tosse at the BYC mids for clarity. In fact, use Bobbi's whole book.

Joyride
02-22-2018, 10:15 PM
Pat Broderick

Hi Pat,

I'm Jim, 2018 Race Chair for the SSS, and the PRO for this event. I think I can address your question.

The "perfectly round" wheel that's "been working for years" doesn't conform with the RRS. It said "The start for Flag C will be at 11:05, the start for Flag D will be at 11:10, etc." Have you ever seen SIs that look like that?

The proper "RRS" way is to say when the first warning will be, thus I changed the instructions to say the warning for Flag C will be at 11:00. Since we're following the RRS, as stated in Rule 1a of the NOR, that makes the start time 11:05 for Flag C. Now I admit that when I said the warning for Flag D will be "at or after Flag C start" I could have left all that out and simply stated "We intend to start races in the order listed below."

Had I left the instructions as written, I felt there was more opportunity for confusion. For instance, if for any reason I had needed to postpone the entire race, or a start, then I'd have had an issue because racers could correctly say "The SIs said my start was at 11:25 so I started at 11:25." The NOR (Rule 19 c) only lets the PRO modify the SIs verbally prior to the first warning, so technically we'd be locked into what was printed on the SIs and I'd have no options but to let mayhem ensue.

To respond to Jackie, and mayhem ensuing, if for any reason mayhem should ensue at a start, I may want to let that mayhem clear itself before starting the next division. As currently written, I can, but as previously written, I'd have been locked into a schedule, and the subsequent division would be penalized by having to negotiate the mayhem that wouldn't have been of their own making!

What I said at the Skipper's Meeting was that we intend to start boats as written last year, with Flag C starting at 11:05, D at 11:10, etc., and if for any reason we don't, we will be super clear about what we're doing on the radio (VHF72). In fact, we intend to be super clear about what we're doing even if we follow the plan, because we fully understand that it's hard for one person (sometimes two) to sail a boat in heavy traffic and look for distant undersized flags. Keep your radio tuned to VHF72 and you should know what's going on.

I did poll about 8 racers to get their philosophy on SSS starts, and I also posted a thread asking for people's opinion. Two racers thought the SSS should start races religiously to a schedule, with racers taking whatever conditions they get, and the remainder said they'd prefer to start in wind. As a result, it was decided that if for any reason no boat is able to make way at 11:00, we'll postpone, but we'll only give the wind up to 30 minutes to fill in, and by 11:30 we're going no matter what. This will all be announced on VHF72. Also, any postponement will correspondingly move the time limit, so that if we start at 11:20 rather than 11:00, we'll stretch the cutoff time by that same delay (20 minutes).

I hope this clarifies why this change was made. And yes, I'm also a volunteer trying to do good by all you racers, so please feel free to let me know what I can be doing better.

Jim

Philpott
02-23-2018, 04:01 PM
Regarding after-race possibilities by SSS Corinthian race participants:
This from Jim Erskine, member of the Corinthian Yacht Club and singlehander on s/v KIRA:

Everyone is welcome to raft up. Bar is open. Food available until 5pm. We have a “Wine Dinner” Saturday night so no dinner menu available.

Philpott
02-23-2018, 04:41 PM
More from Jim:

Hadlock
02-23-2018, 11:22 PM
We're starting in group F tomorrow, but looking forward to probably sailing with group G. This is my first doublehander so will be giving everyone a wide berth at the start. We'll be easy to spot; the two wide-eyed youngins aboard Spartan.

Jim whatever happens tomorrow with the start I support you, PRO is a tough job with a lot of difficult real time decisions to be made; and thank you for taking the time to organize this race.

Cheers

brianb
02-25-2018, 08:26 AM
You were banned from Sailing Anarchy ? You should volunteer to negotiate with N Korea, we need your help.

brianb
02-25-2018, 08:27 AM
Great job Spartan. I am your boat neighbor a few slips to the east.
Brian

brianb
02-25-2018, 08:32 AM
Somewhere near S. Hampton the spin halyard jammed in the clutch. I sailed way off the course to get the clutch opened. Time for two new clutches. Anyone have favorite types ? The current set are Lewmars and they have been gentle on the lines.

Philpott
02-25-2018, 01:45 PM
When I bought Dura Mater six years ago, she came with single Barient winches. After just a few windy races I developed rotater cuff injuries in both shoulders. Not tears, but injuries. The orthotist I visited specialized in shoulder injuries. He asked if I played water polo. He said that he himself was on a masters water polo team and had developed this same type of injury. Um, no, I said, but I sailed. He knew a little about sailing and asked if I couldn’t steer instead. Um, no, I said. I had to do that, too. There was a long pause.

“You solo sail?”
“Yes”.
“Well, you’ll have to stop sailing.”
“Huh.” I replied, “Well, that’s not going to happen.”

He sent me to a physical therapist who gave me exercises and two “thera-bands”: one yellow and one red, to be used as I got stronger. Or as strong as I could get.
So I sighed a BIG sigh and bought Dura Mater her first nice bling: stainless steel Lewmar 30 self steering winches. They are still shiny and beautiful, but I gotta say that yesterday I needed bigger winches. Big like the winches Jim Quanci has on Green Buffalo. Harken 55s. No! harken 65s!! Really big winches.

I also began to see the wisdom of the Wylies, especially when I saw how well the Wyliecat sailors did in the race. Now I know that their success requires more than just a nice boat with no winches, but yesterday I sure got worn out having to tack and tack and tack in that wind. 18-22 knots at the gate when I was going for Blackaller. All day yesterday my boat kept telling me, “You’ve gotta move faster! I’m keeping you safe, now sheet that jib in! I don’t like the way you’re letting the sail flog back and forth! Jeesh!”

And I agreed with her, but it was a long day and those winches seemed just too small! We were doing really well, too, until I carried my drifter out of Raccoon Straits, right into that blast of wind from Red Rock! I forgot that it wasn’t a spinnaker. I couldn’t just blow one line and drop it into the cabin. It was attached at the front of the bow! Oh Hell! We were doing so well that I forgot that a drifter is meant for light wind, and the wind near Southampton Shoal at 3pm was 15-20 knots. So I sailed over to Brooks Island struggling to get my beautiful blue and yellow drifter down. Then I had to beat back upwind toward the Shoal and beyond.

What a disappointing day! I guess it could have been worse. Dura Mater and I could have gotten clocked at Blossom Rock.

tboussie
03-01-2018, 03:58 PM
Not that I'm getting one (damn Wylies...), but when is the Corinthian awards ceremony?

DaveH
03-01-2018, 04:31 PM
when is the Corinthian awards ceremony?

Next Wednesday, 3/7, 1930 at IYC

jamottep
03-08-2018, 09:43 AM
I was planning to come to the award ceremony but the bike's battery was dead (someone disconnected the battery tender). What did I miss?

The Smokester
03-08-2018, 12:49 PM
Somewhere near S. Hampton the spin halyard jammed in the clutch. I sailed way off the course to get the clutch opened. Time for two new clutches. Anyone have favorite types ? The current set are Lewmars and they have been gentle on the lines.

I have lewmars and spinlocks. If you go spinlock make sure you get the higher rated ones or have something like a cleat to back them up. I like the lewmars and have many miles on, and no problem with, them.

DaveH
03-08-2018, 01:15 PM
I was planning to come to the award ceremony but the bike's battery was dead (someone disconnected the battery tender). What did I miss?

Not too much. Bob from BAMA made pitch for the Double Handed Farallones race [registrations are open on Jibeset, go support this race].
Folks picked up their t-shirts and we gave out awards and trophies.

As an aside, I received some good feedback about South Hampton shoals... we will very likely alter the course next year to round something nearby not involving a mess of hidden hazards.

DH