PDA

View Full Version : Changes to the Starting order

DaveH
03-29-2018, 12:39 PM
It’s been observed and commented upon that it’s becoming increasingly difficult to race single handed, particularly for the larger bay races, in the Singlehanded Sailing Society.

This seems to be mostly due to that the SSS is more popular and well attended than ever.
Over the years the singlehanded fleet has remained mostly stable in terms of numbers, but many more have discovered the joys of doublehanding.

Nothing wrong with any of that, and for the most part the vast majority of us respect the SSS tradition of not sailing to aggressively, making allowances for the shorthanded nature of the racing.

That said, lots of boats in the same stretches of water makes for tight crosses and general congestion.

It also seems that the way we sail doublehanded is different from the way we sail singlehanded.
Sailing double handed means you have double the eyes and hands of a singlehanded boat (duh); in practice the maneuverability and reaction times are not linear, but closer to exponential.

With that in mind, the RC is proposing that we change things up a bit for Round the Rocks and separate the singlehanded & double handed starts. The hope is that by spreading out the starts we will have less conflict down the track, as well as less congested starts

In the interest of relieving congestion, we will start the multihulls as one class [Single & Doublhanded] before everyone else.

The plan will be to then start the singlehanded fleet in 3 starts BEFORE the double handed fleet.
That will mean combining some Single Handed Divisions [NOT for scoring, just for the start].

The sequence would be as follows – all times are approximate

10:30 Multi-Hull SH + DH Starts Flag C

10:35 SH Start 1 - Sportboats [including E27’s] Flag K
10:40 SH Start 2 – Combine PHRF <108 + PHRF 111-159 - Flag M
10:45 SH Start 3 - Combine PHRF > 162 + Non-Spin - Flag N

10:50 DH Express 27 Starts Flag D
…etcetera through
11:10 Final DH start, Flag J

We will see how this works.
It's time to try something to give folks a bit more breathing room.

DH

jamottep
03-29-2018, 03:40 PM
Man, that means I will get to see most every boat before getting to the finish :-)

BobJ
03-30-2018, 10:25 AM
It’s been observed and commented upon that it’s becoming increasingly difficult to race single handed, particularly for the larger bay races, in the Singlehanded Sailing Society.

Coupled with this, it's increasingly difficult to get your boat repaired. There are a couple of boutique shops that cater to the smaller boats but for the rest of us, the boatyards are it. There are fewer of them now, plus they struggle to find skilled labor.

My collision in the Corinthian Race was on February 24th. It takes awhile to get a yard reservation but I was already scheduled to haul out on February 26th for a bottom job. Nonetheless, the yard didn't start on the collision repairs until two days ago - that's over a month of waiting. I still don't have the insurance check (I was on starboard so it was the other guy's insurance.)

I am rethinking how I use my boat.

Submarino
04-02-2018, 09:06 AM
Some thoughts about the proposal and how it affects One Design Racers.

As an SH Express 27, I know that I am safer with the DH Express 27 fleet because of similar speed, maneuverability and knowing the skippers. Equally important is that racing with my family of OD's is more challenging and fun.

I have only polled two E27 skippers thus far, and we both agree that SH E27's should be allowed to start with DH E27's, as in past, unless one actually chooses "Sportboat" in their signup request.

For your consideration,

Thanks,

JB

DaveH
04-02-2018, 11:21 AM
Hi Joe -
I think that makes a lot of sense; as you point out, you always have the option of signing up SH Sportboat if you don't want to start with your class.
The critical point, I think, is to sail where you are most comfortable.

DH

jamottep
04-03-2018, 09:41 PM
I looked at the course and was wondering if it's best to round Angel Island counterclockwise or go through Raccoon strait.

BobJ
04-03-2018, 10:30 PM
It depends.

jamottep
04-04-2018, 09:05 AM
It depends.

I looked at current and that seems to say to go round Angel Island.

jamottep
04-14-2018, 09:55 PM
Man, that means I will get to see most every boat before getting to the finish :-)

Very true ...