PDA

View Full Version : Sparky update #2

Sparky
08-23-2008, 04:43 PM
--continued from Sparky update #1

7. Last Day: The emotional state of being can’t be described. I can tell you that seeing the light from the Kilauea lighthouse 35 miles away was the most incredible sight ever…even through the cloud cover! I was asked to “slow down” by Skip Allan so that I would arrive in the daylight, as it was too dangerous when it’s dark. I completely understood, but found it hilarious because since July 12, I have done everything to make my boat go faster, so much so that I busted my rig, and now, I was being asked to slow down, haha! But hey, when Skip Allen asks you to do something, I knew enough not to question. Anyhow, it was a bit nerve wracking sailing in the morning of August 7. I couldn’t see any stars because of the cloud cover, and the swells were keeping the cockpit nice and wet. Upon arrival, the smell of the island brought a huge smile to my face…ahhh, it was so sweet! I had radio contact via VHF with Robert and Jeanne Crawford on Blackfeathers, and it was the most wonderful chat hearing their voices. Especially since I had heard Robert probably wouldn’t be there when I arrived since he was delivering his boat to Honololu to ship back to the mainland. Anyway, he made it back for my finish, and I was very happy he was safe. Skip Allan was waiting for me at the finish, and as soon as Robert Crawford said I officially completed the Singhanded Transpac, I cried. Skip Allan was starboard of me taking pictures and hootin’ and hollerin’ and congratulating me on Wildflower – it really was a special moment! Skip then threw the tow line to me and we made our way into the bay. As we entered the mouth of the bay, I saw a dinghy motoring my way, and in it were Robbie (my sweetheart), Chris Humann (Carroll E), Jonathan Gutoff (NorCal Sailing), Christine Weaver (Latitude 38), and Mitchell Boy, the new owner of Sparky. Upon arrival on shore, my parents and brother were there as a surprise, and it was so wonderful to see them. I immediately drank my rum and coke and had the most amazing buzz happening – Robbie had to hold me up as we were walking to the car. Even this buzz couldn’t put me to sleep!

I want to thank Alan Hebert for leaving the dinghy for me to use - it came in real handy getting back and forth to Sparky out on anchor.

Conclusion: Okay, for those of you that don’t know, I proposed to Robbie at the Kilauea Point Lighthouse. We are both excited to share our lives together, and she loves to sail…huge bonus! We will be getting married early October (this year), and will be sailing to Cabo San Lucas (Baja Ha-ha) with dear friends for our honeymoon.

Sparky was donated to Mitchell Boy, a local Hawaiian surfer that assisted the fleet upon arrival. He has big plans!

Thanks again to all of you for supporting all of us. This truly is a special event, and all the hard work going into it is worth every dollar and every minute spent. The friendships one gains by participating in the race are priceless, and I’m so happy I made it to the start line. One of my best and cherished friends said it best: If Ruben starts the race, he will finish! Scotty, congrat’s on winning the bet!

Warm Regards,

Ruben

PS: I've uploaded pictures and video from the trip at www.sparkysfo.com