PDA

View Full Version : Battery load test

mike cunningham
04-26-2018, 06:43 PM
I am planning to do a battery load test in the coming week. While I was in the yard I was able to do a fairly controlled test of my flexible solar arrays and controller. They are working well.

My plan is to disconnect the SAs and turn on some stuff so I achieve a 5 amp draw per my Zantrex power monitor. I am going to keep a chart like the one Bob M. recommended. I'll document voltage to two decimal places at full charge and then hourly to 50% charge. I'll determine 50% by battery voltage as opposed to what the Zantrex is telling me. I have a pretty high quality multimeter aboard so I also plan to confirm the Zantrex is reading battery voltage accurately. My multimeter has not been professionally calibrated but I don't think that's going to be an issue for this application.

I am hoping the Zantrex is more or less accurate but Practical Sailor warned one might have considerably less capacity than one thinks, particularly as the batteries age. My 3 110AH AGMs are getting up there. It will be an interesting experiment.

mike cunningham
05-26-2018, 03:11 PM
I am planning to do a battery load test in the coming week. While I was in the yard I was able to do a fairly controlled test of my flexible solar arrays and controller. They are working well.

My plan is to disconnect the SAs and turn on some stuff so I achieve a 5 amp draw per my Zantrex power monitor. I am going to keep a chart like the one Bob M. recommended. I'll document voltage to two decimal places at full charge and then hourly to 50% charge. I'll determine 50% by battery voltage as opposed to what the Zantrex is telling me. I have a pretty high quality multimeter aboard so I also plan to confirm the Zantrex is reading battery voltage accurately. My multimeter has not been professionally calibrated but I don't think that's going to be an issue for this application.

I am hoping the Zantrex is more or less accurate but Practical Sailor warned one might have considerably less capacity than one thinks, particularly as the batteries age. My 3 110AH AGMs are getting up there. It will be an interesting experiment.

I completed this Test day before yesterday. Very interesting, based upon battery voltage vs SOC, the Zantrex is right on with regard to SOC percentage and appears to be reporting battery condition accurately. What is also good news is my 11 year old AGMs continue to maintain nearly their entire capacity of 110 AH per battery based upon AH consumption/time/battery voltage. I think their longevity is due to their environment (never get outside 65 to 80 degrees F) and the fact that I never cycle below 60 % SOC. During the 16 SHTP I would begin charging in the mid 60% range and go until I had them up to the high 80s%. They maintained a full charge exclusively on SAs when at anchor and in Nawiliwili.

Having said all the above, I did spend $70 on a 18 AH Li battery as an emergency backup. This will be useful ashore as well as afloat.

Jonathan Gutoff
05-29-2018, 04:37 PM
What and where did you find the 18AH Li battery?
I completed this Test day before yesterday. Very interesting, based upon battery voltage vs SOC, the Zantrex is right on with regard to SOC percentage and appears to be reporting battery condition accurately. What is also good news is my 11 year old AGMs continue to maintain nearly their entire capacity of 110 AH per battery based upon AH consumption/time/battery voltage. I think their longevity is due to their environment (never get outside 65 to 80 degrees F) and the fact that I never cycle below 60 % SOC. During the 16 SHTP I would begin charging in the mid 60% range and go until I had them up to the high 80s%. They maintained a full charge exclusively on SAs when at anchor and in Nawiliwili.

Having said all the above, I did spend $70 on a 18 AH Li battery as an emergency backup. This will be useful ashore as well as afloat.

mike cunningham
05-30-2018, 06:12 AM
On Amazon it's called Beat it. Someone else on the board suggested it. Fantastic, powerful, compact unit.