PDA

View Full Version : Singlehanded Farallones

jamottep
05-09-2018, 03:53 PM
Good day,
It'll be my first time rounding the Farallon Islands. Any suggestion?
It looks like we're starting at the end of an ebb.
Also the race starts early out of St Francis. For me that would mean starting the day at 3-4am. Is there an option for a guest berth near the starting line?

Critter
05-11-2018, 08:58 AM
The obvious: give the island a wide berth! Especially the northwest corner where there's a projecting shoal area. I like Stan Honey's rule of thumb because it's easy to remember: add the predicted or observed swell height and significant wave height (average of the highest third of the waves), multiply by 2.5, and stay in water at least that deep. I have waypoints at 30 and 60 feet depth off that corner.

The Smokester
05-11-2018, 12:16 PM
I have stayed at the San Francisco Marina before. Right at the start line. But pricey.

Maybe get reciprical privileges at St Francis or Golden Gate Club especially since they know you will be gone early in the morning.

Intermission
05-11-2018, 01:39 PM
Good day,
Is there an option for a guest berth near the starting line?

You could anchor at Aquatic Park or Horseshoe cove. I second the Golden Gate suggestion. Even Clipper Cove to the start line on an ebb would be doable.

Gamayun
05-11-2018, 04:20 PM
I belong to a yacht club, which helps in getting berth spots for free, but if none of the clubs nearby offer this and you'd rather not anchor out, you could check with the marina at South Beach Harbor. It's a city marina -- part of the Port of SF -- so they charge everyone around a $1/foot for a guest tie. Have a great race!

pogen
05-11-2018, 05:03 PM
Even in moderate conditions I stay at 60' or deeper. Scary place.