PDA

View Full Version : Sailors arriving

Philpott
05-24-2018, 08:28 AM
This from Dolfin, sailing up from the Channel Islands : “Couldn't have better conditions”

AZ Sailor
05-24-2018, 08:47 AM
That's great! I hope Bill and Patty are enjoying the ride.

Captain Bob and I are planning to depart Silver Gate Yacht Club on Saturday morning, to start Morning Star's journey North. The conditions might get rather unpleasant before we reach the Golden Gate -- GFS-based forecasts say we'll be fine; ECMWF suggests crash helmets and body armor will be in order.

A question for those with local knowledge: If seeking refuge from NW swell once past Carmel, would you head for Monterey Harbor, Santa Cruz Small Boat Harbor, or Santa Cruz Anchorage? All things being equal, we like anchoring just fine.

Philpott
05-24-2018, 09:08 AM
https://share.garmin.com/share/BILLMEANLEY

Well, heck, look at that Dolfin! already bypassing Monterey, going straight for Made In Santa Cruz and the Capitola Boat Club. Maybe ask him via message? Password=SHTP
He's pretty laconic, though. Will probably say something like: Yup

Philpott
05-24-2018, 01:48 PM
Dolfin Swims Upstream:
Delivering Dolfin from San Diego to San Francisco is "kind of" like a qualifier - 425 plus miles and if not completed then no SHTP. But you can use your motor and you better like the sound of it because you will be hearing it a lot. Patty is helping me again so I get to eat well and sleep some. We had planned to anchor at Smuggler's in the Channel Islands tonight after leaving Catalina at 4am but plans were altered by the military who buzzed us off course with their chopper, then hailed us and said they were doing target practice and we were in the way. So no more stops until probably Half Moon Bay on Friday. Getting to the starting line can be the hardest part for some of us.

DolfinBill

Rainbow
05-24-2018, 07:50 PM
Bill: Santa Cruz Harbor offers very good shelter, but call ahead (831-475-6161) or VHF 9 or 16 to inquire re: entry bar conditions/closure. Shouldn't be a problem to get in now though. Santa Cruz anchorage S. of the pier is pretty well protected, and Capitola, a bit further south, is perhaps even quieter, and offers moorings. (Hail “Capitola Boat and Bait” on VHF channel 11 for mooring assignments and any help you might need getting tied up.) I haven't stayed in Monterey, but there's an anchorage and a large marina, a lot closer than Santa Cruz if you're wanting to catch a rest. Good luck! Cliff Shaw, Rainbow

Gamayun
05-25-2018, 06:15 AM
Welcome Bill, Patty and Dolfin!! I wish I were around HMB to give you a welcome in person, but I'm in SoCal until Monday. Please feel free but to stop by the yacht club and have dinner Friday night. Tell them Carliane sent ya and that you'll be racing with me to Hanalei. I'm sure they'd love to hear all about your preparations :)

dolfinbill
05-25-2018, 09:23 AM
Thanks everyone for your support on this passage. We had an ideal weather window so just kept going, arriving in Pillar Point Harbor 6pm yesterday, just 50 hours (and 36 gal of diesel) from Catalina. Cold starry nights, whales, dolphins, other floaty things with fins, flat calm mostly - hope Lee is as lucky on Morning Star. We could have done without the military helicopter in the Channel Islands harassing us without telling us why or responding to our call on 16 or that hard, clanky thing we hit halfway across Monterey Bay (couldn't see it but sure heard it), but otherwise the trip couldn't have been nicer.

Thanks to Jackie for trying to get my communications out (not an easy thing to do) although I'm trying to do better in that department than last time. I sent a message to "racereport" before leaving Catalina over the ham radio (Winlink) but it didn't seem to make it. Apparently I was to use racereporting@sfbaysss.org rather than what the Communications Plan (page 6) says to use. Part of what's so charming about the SSS, like transpac, ssstranspac or transpacific@sfbaysss.org - I guess you just have to use them all and hope one gets through. Or just send to Jackie - that seems work best for me.

Philpott
05-25-2018, 08:56 PM
From Morning Star:
Casting off in the morning. Tracker will be on: https://share.garmin.com/share/LeeJohnson2
Password = M-star7782

dolfinbill
05-26-2018, 04:47 PM
Welcome Bill, Patty and Dolfin!! I wish I were around HMB to give you a welcome in person, but I'm in SoCal until Monday. Please feel free but to stop by the yacht club and have dinner Friday night. Tell them Carliane sent ya and that you'll be racing with me to Hanalei. I'm sure they'd love to hear all about your preparations :)

Hi Carliane, At your suggestion, we went over to the YC last night. Very lively and fun crowd, lots of visitors with large name tags and three very cute little triplet girls, maybe 3-4 years old. We had a little rum (not actually enough to break out of my laconicism) and had some great pot pies for dinner. Asked some of the regulars about you, including a lady who looked so much like you she could have been your mother, and they all had good things to say. Probably didn't talk enough about the race but like I said, probably not enough rum. But anyway, thanks for the tip - it's a wonderful, low key club and a very comfortable place.

Bill Meanley
Dolfin

Gamayun
05-26-2018, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=dolfinbill;20688]Asked some of the regulars about you, including a lady who looked so much like you she could have been your mother./QUOTE]

Oh, too funny. I wonder who that was?! Glad you had a nice time. The HMBYC is a super awesome club with a great group of sailors. And they do absolutely love their sailing. Next, you'll have to visit Island Yacht Club, which is the new one in my life since moving to Oakland. I seem to have started collecting them....

dolfinbill
05-29-2018, 06:26 PM
So we're sitting here all comfy having just arrived at our guest slip at Marina Village. We spent last night anchored in Aquatic Park after coming up from Half Moon Bay. The view of the beach and Ghirardelli Square on a beautifully clear Memorial Day, as you know, was incredible. So why were we the only boat anchored there? But we did feel a little guilty watching Lee's progress up the Big Sur coast on Morning Star while alternatively looking at the weather he was dealing with and hoping he could just make it to Monterey before all hell broke loose. Today we see from his tracker that he made it safely into Monterey harbor and texted our congratulations. From what I could see, he might be there for a week before being able to proceed. But he texted back "we're just here for a fuel stop, we hope to be in Alameda tomorrow afternoon. What a stud - and to think I have to sail against this guy.

Bill
sv Dolfin

Gamayun
05-29-2018, 07:00 PM
Welcome to the hood! If you plan on sticking around for a bit and would like to listen to the sea shanties plying their sing-along songs at Quinn's Lighthouse (only on Thursday nights) just let me know and I'll meet you over there for a beer. It's a classically nautical thing to do around here ;)

sleddog
05-30-2018, 10:29 AM
Good news: Lee on MORNING STAR arrived at Santa Cruz Wharf anchorage last evening about 11 pm. They had battled headwinds, head seas, and head current yesterday south of Pt. Sur, finally doubling that challenge and making Monterey Harbor in mid-afternoon for a quick refuel.

Crossing Monterey Bay was no cakewalk either for MORNING STAR. But it sounds like Lee has his act together. An ascent of the California Coast in spring during NW trades can be a bear. Though Pt. Conception has the rep, it's actually Pt. Sur (and Cape Mendocino) that are the challenges for small craft heading north.

MORNING STAR headed out from their overnight anchorage just east of the Santa Cruz Wharf (20', hard pack sand) about an hour ago.(0900 Wed. 5-30-18.) They are going to give the final 65 mile leg of their delivery to SF a try today. It's breeze on up the coast, 20-25 knots, with higher gusts forecast this afternoon.

I wish Lee a safe passage. But suspect MORNING STAR may well turn 180 and be back in Santa Cruz this afternoon. As we are fond of saying in the delivery business, "best not to leave a good port on a bad day.."

The Smokester
05-30-2018, 02:21 PM
As of 2p Morningstar is beating her way up the coast, now a few miles north of Davenport. Doing about 3 MPH. Hoping it goes well..

Philpott
05-30-2018, 02:41 PM
As of 2p Morningstar is beating her way up the coast, now a few miles north of Davenport. Doing about 3 MPH. Hoping it goes well..

This from Morning Star
Tracker will be on: https://share.garmin.com/share/LeeJohnson2

Password = M-star7782

sleddog
05-30-2018, 03:30 PM
MORNING STAR headed out from their overnight anchorage just east of the Santa Cruz Wharf (20', hard pack sand) about an hour ago.(0900 Wed. 5-30-18.) They are going to give the final 65 mile leg of their delivery to SF a try today. It's breeze on up the coast, 20-25 knots, with higher gusts forecast this afternoon.
I wish Lee a safe passage. But suspect MORNING STAR may well turn 180 and be back in Santa Cruz this afternoon. As we are fond of saying in the delivery business, "best not to leave a good port on a bad day.."

I'm happy to be wrong. At 3pm today (Wed.) Lee and MORNINGSTAR are proving their mettle and earning a stiff drink. 5 hours after leaving Pt. Santa Cruz this morning, MORNING STAR is 16 miles up the line, 4 miles short of passing Ano Nuevo, averaging 3.1 knots overground.

I can see "sheep in the meadow" offshore from where I sit at CBC. Here is the current wind report from UCSC Long Marine Lab, on the coast, 15 miles downwind of Lee. Gusts in red, average speed (mph) in blue.

The Smokester
05-31-2018, 08:52 AM
Yikes. Must have been quite a ride. Morningstar is now safely ensconced at Marina Village in Alameda. As of about 5 or 6am!

AZ Sailor
05-31-2018, 11:29 AM
Thanks, everyone. And especially, you, Skip. It was very gracious of you to call Wednesday morning. Much appreciated.

Lest anyone missed it, I did not attempt this singlehanded. I was very ably assisted by Bob Michels, a good friend and fellow member of Silver Gate Yacht Club. Bob has served as paid crew on numerous off-shore deliveries between SD and Cabo/Mexican Riviera, and enthusiastically volunteered his help for this delivery. I would not have been able to do this in the conditions we had without his help.

I'll write up a play-by-play in the next several days, but the essentials are: no one was injured, nothing broke, and the crew remain friends.

Philpott
05-31-2018, 11:48 AM
Photos, too?

Daydreamer
05-31-2018, 02:14 PM
Excellent !

Welcome Lee and Morning Star

jamottep
05-31-2018, 05:34 PM
Sweet and well done!

Gamayun
06-01-2018, 01:02 PM
Thanks, everyone. And especially, you, Skip. It was very gracious of you to call Wednesday morning. Much appreciated.

Lest anyone missed it, I did not attempt this singlehanded. I was very ably assisted by Bob Michels, a good friend and fellow member of Silver Gate Yacht Club. Bob has served as paid crew on numerous off-shore deliveries between SD and Cabo/Mexican Riviera, and enthusiastically volunteered his help for this delivery. I would not have been able to do this in the conditions we had without his help.

I'll write up a play-by-play in the next several days, but the essentials are: no one was injured, nothing broke, and the crew remain friends.

Whooohooo, welcome Lee! Crew or no crew, that's a rough trip and it must have been chilly, too. Glad all is well. I heard at the Farallones awards meeting that the kids are all set to track the racers. I guess they didn't need any help from us, so that'll be fun to meet them when we get there. As re hou sticking around for a while? Let me know when you're ready to grab a beer and toast your passage.

Carliane

AZ Sailor
06-01-2018, 01:30 PM
Let me know when you're ready to grab a beer and toast your passage.

Carliane

Thanks! Working on the boat like mad today; getting stuff over to Dave's shop tomorrow for the crate. I think by 1800 or so tomorrow I'll mosey on over the Oakland Yacht Club for an adult beverage of some sort. Please join me there if you can. And same invitation to the group at large. Please join us if you're in the area.

AZ Sailor
06-03-2018, 08:56 AM
Morning Star, at Marina Village, Alameda. Tugging at her dock lines, saying "Come on! Add some food, and let's go!"

AZ Sailor, at Gate 21, OAK, heading back to serve another two weeks' time in Phoenix. :(