PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Return Trip

DaveH
07-17-2018, 01:13 PM
Here is a list of the boats returning on their own bottoms to the West Coast.
Not everyone is departing on the same schedule, nor are they going to the same place.
Some to SoCal, Some to NorCal

Morning Star
Jacqueline
Kyntanna
Iris
Dolphin
Owl
Nightmare
Rainbow
Riff Rider

Rob, on Tiger Beetle, is heading North to the Pacific Northwest at about the same time and has organized a SSB sched for those boats so inclined and equipped.
Updates on the event site under the category Return Trip

ALSO, we've created a separate event in Jibeset so folks can watch the progress of those that have turned on their trackers.
Go here.... https://www.jibeset.net/gpstrackshare.php?FB=JACKY_T00254104_2_2774878789 (https://www.jibeset.net/gpstrackshare.php?FB=JACKY_T00254104_2_2774878789)

Oh, by the way, I'm back!

Standing By in Alameda
DH

mike cunningham
07-17-2018, 02:24 PM
Jacqueline is currently planning to depart Nawiliwili Thurs 19th at 0800 or thereabouts.

tiger beetle
07-17-2018, 05:28 PM
Hi David -

thank you very much for your work on the SSS website, the forum, and the SHTP site; what you've pulled together in short order is fantastic support for the group! Are you certain you won't let Carliane delegate to you? :)

- rob/beetle

DaveH
07-18-2018, 09:57 AM
If your referring to this David, thanks, but I'm just twisting the dials on the tools we already built for the race.
Full credit for the web development should go to Dave Nabors, AKA Pogen, AKA WebKahuna emeritus.
Ray Irvine at Jibeset is tracker boss...
Etc, etc... takes a village and all that.

Safe Journey
DH

DaveH
07-19-2018, 10:44 AM
Re-Posting Kristen's info re the website updates from the other thread - DH

Click on or subscribe to the "Return Trip" category to follow details of the vessels underway returning from Hanalei Bay to the mainland:

http://sfbaysss.org/shtp2018/category/return-trip/

jamottep
07-20-2018, 01:37 PM
Hi David -

thank you very much for your work on the SSS website, the forum, and the SHTP site

And everything else that David and Jackie and Synthia and Rob and Dennis and pogen and all the little hands that appeared just in time to help carry, move, cook, be accepting of free loaders, etc ... Thank you!

Philpott
08-03-2018, 10:49 AM
At 9 am this morning Cliff Shaw was approximately 19 nm outside the Gate going 6.51 knots. He keeps his boat/Rainbow in Emeryville Marina.

jamottep
08-03-2018, 01:03 PM
At 9 am this morning Cliff Shaw was approximately 19 nm outside the Gate going 6.51 knots. He keeps his boat/Rainbow in Emeryville Marina.

I spoke with Dave yesterday. He said Cliff may be stopping in Drake's Bay first. Anyone in touch with him?

jamottep
08-04-2018, 05:50 PM
Rainbow is in and I met with Cliff today. He was in great shape and, although overcast, he had a great passage. And so he finishes first twice :-)

Philpott
08-07-2018, 07:18 PM
This afternoon we motored out on Cliff Shaw's catamaran, Rainbow, to greet Greg Ashby as he arrived from Kauai. As we approached Point Diablo Cliff raised the radio to hail Greg, and as we rounded the corner, there he was!! And he looked great! Full sails up, calm and collected. It was 27 knots at the bridge as he entered the bay. Easy peasy for a guy straight off the ocean.

Here is Greg on Nightmare, home from Hanalei Bay:

Approaching the Bridge3648

Under the bridge

and headed for Richmond

Commodore Herrigel and Cliff Shaw (on his incredibly comfortable catamaran) were surprised to see Greg so soon. One minute he was 17 miles offshore, the next minute there he was sailing effortlessly in front of us!

jamottep
08-07-2018, 09:37 PM
Cool stuff! Glad to see him home safely!

Philpott
08-08-2018, 09:26 AM
Mike is in. Came in at 4 am.Breakfast in Horseshoe Cove aboard Rainbow. Waiting for Charlie.

jamottep
08-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Mike is in. Came in at 4 am.Breakfast in Horseshoe Cove aboard Rainbow. Waiting for Charlie.

That's cavernous! Would a Moore 24 fit in there?

brianb
08-08-2018, 11:09 PM
S/V Owl was struck by a sperm whale at approximately 10 am PDT on Aug 8. She is making way with an emergency rudder deployed as her main rudder has developed a new "stiffness" that is worrisome but not preventing its use. She has turned steering over to the E rudder to reduce load on the ships main rudder. Her autopilot is steering the E rudder.

Brian

Philpott
08-09-2018, 09:06 AM
At the Emergency Rudder Seminar Owl's emergency rudder seemed most easily deployed, so it's a good thing, huh?

While John Woodworth meanders his way back across the ocean, here is a photo of Mike Cunningham yesterday morning at 4 am ish, still aboard Jacqueline, anchored in Horseshoe Cove for a couple of hours. Later Cliff Shaw (also known as the Hanalei Harbormaster) collected him via his hippy porta bote for a scrambled egg breakfast aboard the Rainbow Cafe. Mike is a wonderful story teller, and made us laugh even in his sleep deprived state. He is also a splendid writer so I think we can expect a rundown of his return sail. He left immediately after breakfast for his home/dock in the Delta and the untimate prize: the Real Jacqueline.

jamottep
08-09-2018, 09:14 AM
Glad to see another safe passage and hope that Owl will carry on home soon.

Gamayun
08-09-2018, 09:39 AM
Welcome back Mike and Greg! Glad to hear Owl continues to make good progress despite the whale interaction. What stories everyone is going to have!

Daydreamer
08-09-2018, 09:47 AM
I am home!
Titia collected me Wednesday.
Good to be home, be with my wife and dog.
Half expected the dog to flip out, but he was more like, oh your home, cool, lets go for a walk. So we did.
Made up a nice meal of sauté vegetables and beans, yes, I still like beans!
Nightmare still needs a bath but tidied up nicely.

Got my land legs back fairly quickly, though the first few steps on the dock were pretty wobbly.
I started regretting declining the welcoming committee offer to side tie to Rainbow when I saw the Italian restaurant by the marina was closed.
Fortunately Ahn, the little Vietnamese restaurant nearby was open. The spring rolls and garlic noodles were quite good.

As my thoughts coalesce I will scatter them throughout the forum for the next generation.

pogen
08-09-2018, 10:11 AM
For some reason I got this email. Probably some confusion about 'Dave's. Pretty wild stuff. Where is my #$@@&^*@ harpoon?!?! STAAAAAARBUCK!!!

Subject: Owl report evening August 8 2018

On August 8, 2018 7:51:46 PM HST, John G Woodworth <XXXXXXXXXXX@myiridium.net> wrote:

Hi All,
1916 hours
36°14' N/147°25' W
SOG 5 KT @45° M
WIND 16 KT @328° M
SEAS SUBSUDING
BP 1014.6 mb

At dawn this morning Owl impacted with one of a pair of sperm whales. I
was on watch and, as the impact was on the stern, turned to see two
whales a few feet behind the boat and blood in the water. Owl was
knocked off course and her steering damaged. My interpretation at the
time was we were being attacked. Not sure this is correct, though. As
one of the whales came around up on our stern I grabbed the wheel and
managed to take off down wind. The whale followed for a short distance
and then turned and the two went off in the opposite direction.

Owl is still able to motor but her steering is too stiff for the
autopilot or windvane. We had big seas and winds today and so we hand
steered with the damaged steering. Other than the stiffness, her rudder
is still neutral (0° is straight ahead) and stable. It is a skeg-hung
rudder. Late this evening the winds subsided, as predicted, so we
installled the emergency rudder and have set it up to steer to wind or
compass.

While hove-to, we also inspected more thoroughly the rudder stock and
interior of the stern. Other than a broken hose clamp, no internal
breech to the hull was detected.

It is too early to know how this will effect our passage. Early tests
are that the propeller is uneffected. We know we will need to baby the
emergency rudder as now it is the One. Winds are predicted lighter for
the remainder of the trip which is good from this standpoint. Tomorrow
we will send a GoPro down to inspect for external damage.

Best to you.
John, the Whoo in Owl

Sent from Iridium Mail & Web.

mike cunningham
08-09-2018, 10:11 AM
I blame it all on Bob Johnson. Somewhere on this forum he said "You have to do the race and sail back singlehanded to get the full experience" So I did and I did.

I had a crew lined up in Kauai but he bailed at the last minute. Although it pissed me off at the time, I am glad he didn't come.

Jacqueline pulled into her slip last night at around 2300. I tied her up, walked up my dock ramp, turned to take one final look to ensure she was properly secured for the night, and could have sworn I heard her wisper "what's next Boss?".

Then the Real Jacqueline met me at the door with a hug, a kiss and an "I love You", and the story was over.

AlanH
08-09-2018, 04:16 PM
I blame it all on Bob Johnson. Somewhere on this forum he said "You have to do the race and sail back singlehanded to get the full experience" So I did and I did.

I had a crew lined up in Kauai but he bailed at the last minute. Although it pissed me off at the time, I am glad he didn't come.

Jacqueline pulled into her slip last night at around 2300. I tied her up, walked up my dock ramp, turned to take one final look to ensure she was properly secured for the night, and could have sworn I heard her wisper "what's next Boss?".

Then the Real Jacqueline met me at the door with a hug, a kiss and an "I love You", and the story was over.

Nice. In fact, better than nice.

Philpott
08-11-2018, 01:17 PM
Might Owl have inadvertently come between the whale and its calf?

AZ Sailor
08-14-2018, 08:11 AM
I haven't touched land yet, but write this from anchor in Aquatic Park where we dropped the hook about midnight last night local time. Quite the adventure, of which I may write more later. For now, however, it's time to find the nearest fuel dock, as there is no coffee on this boat!

Daydreamer
08-14-2018, 08:18 AM
Welcome back Lee!!

Enjoy your coffee:)

mike cunningham
08-14-2018, 03:58 PM
Welcome back Lee!!

Enjoy your coffee:)

I second that. Welcome to SF! Slight detour from San Diego but I am glad you are here. Look forward to seeing you in person in coming days. Where are you parking the beautiful Morning Star?

AZ Sailor
08-15-2018, 10:42 AM
I second that. . . . Where are you parking the beautiful Morning Star?

Thanks, guys. Really glad to be here. I'm at Marina Village Yacht Harbor, Alameda, on A dock, right next door to the Oakland Yacht Club. Flying back to AZ on Friday, and returning in a couple of weeks to sail back to SD. Meanwhile, tomorrow evening, Thursday, 08-16, I'll be at the bar at Oakland YC (watching their Beers Cans Race, I think). You guys and anyone else from this community that wants to join me gets at least one dink on my tab. Cheers!

Philpott
08-15-2018, 10:49 AM
Welcome back, Lee. I think races are Wednesday nights at Oakland Yacht Club.

BobJ
08-15-2018, 12:07 PM
I blame it all on Bob Johnston. Somewhere on this forum he said "You have to do the race and sail back singlehanded to get the full experience" So I did and I did.

This is generational - I blame it all on Bill Merrick (RIP) who said the same thing to me. Now you have to pass on the same deception to the next "generation" of aspiring SHTP'ers. It's what we do.

Philpott
08-16-2018, 05:58 PM
Here is a photo of the view from Bill Meanley's Dolfin, moored off Catalina Island, and an email from Dolfin Bill:

I’m resting here on a very peaceful mooring in Two Harbors, Catalina after arriving two days ago. At the 2/3 part of my passage I was 4 days ahead of two years ago. I ended up 2 days slower, 26 days to Catalina. But it’s all good, I actually was more relaxed and peaceful this time than last. Go figure.

I plan to leave tomorrow morning for the last leg to SD which should include like a 12 hour spinnaker run. Nothing like socal sailing. Here is a photo of the view from my mooring. Hard to leave but there’s lots waiting for me at home. Thanks for everything you and the entire SSS did to make this such an amazing experience. You guys are the greatest!

mike cunningham
08-16-2018, 06:15 PM
Here is a photo of the view from Bill Meanley's Dolfin, moored off Catalina Island, and an email from Dolfin Bill:

I’m resting here on a very peaceful mooring in Two Harbors, Catalina after arriving two days ago. At the 2/3 part of my passage I was 4 days ahead of two years ago. I ended up 2 days slower, 26 days to Catalina. But it’s all good, I actually was more relaxed and peaceful this time than last. Go figure.

I plan to leave tomorrow morning for the last leg to SD which should include like a 12 hour spinnaker run. Nothing like socal sailing. Here is a photo of the view from my mooring. Hard to leave but there’s lots waiting for me at home. Thanks for everything you and the entire SSS did to make this such an amazing experience. You guys are the greatest!

Wow, that looks fantastic. No wonder Bill stops there on the way home.

BobJ
08-19-2018, 09:12 AM
This just in from Nick Salvador, a dock mate of John's:

"OWL is headed into Monterey. Current conditions and rudder have forced him to bear off. He's fine, tired. I'm arranging a guest slip and yard appt. at MBBW."

mike cunningham
08-19-2018, 03:55 PM
Meanwhile Iris is at 45 North. Wow!!

brianb
08-21-2018, 08:02 AM
John pulled into a slip in Monterrey at 2310 PDT. He had a bit of trouble maneuvering with his apparent rudder damage. He reports it is difficult to steer with the boat at slow speeds. His plan is to arrange a haul out at the local boat yard. Rusty's wife, Ann, was present and we both grabbed lines. After unpacking Rusty was on his way. John and I headed for Monterrey's finest Denny's. John had not eaten much as was pretty anxious to test food on shore. Other than the whale strike that damaged the rudder, and the high seas they experienced in the last 300 miles things went fairly well. The rudder issues kept him awake night and day, worried about its survivability. He had deployed the E Rudder, a Monitor, using it for about a day while they assessed the viability of the main rudder. Once it was realized the ships rudder was holding they retired the E RUdder but kept it set up in case of future problems. He choose Monterrey as an expedient solution, concerned about spending extra time at sea.

Both gentlemen were sporting a good beard. Nice to see these two back on land.

Brian

dolfinbill
08-21-2018, 06:28 PM
Welcome home John (or at least close to it) - what an adventure. Hope the haul-out shows not too serious damage to your rudder. Wish I could have been there to meet and dine with you at Denny's, a fine restaurant. Especially when you have been at sea for weeks. Congratulations on successfully dealing with some very challenging stuff.

Bill

The Smokester
08-22-2018, 02:02 PM
Hello All, This is the Whoo in Owl. I am currently in the hospital on IV antibiotics for an infection that I couldn't treat during the three week return passage from Kuaii. Owl is in a slip in Monterey awaiting haulout inspection of damage from whale strike, and repair prior to return to San Francisco.

pogen
08-22-2018, 04:19 PM
Glad to hear you are back and safe on land if not entirely well! That is pretty scary. There is a Return War Stories meeting in Alameda next Wednesday if you can be better enough to make it. Sail safe!

Gamayun
08-25-2018, 08:27 PM
Hello All, This is the Whoo in Owl. I am currently in the hospital on IV antibiotics for an infection that I couldn't treat during the three week return passage from Kuaii. Owl is in a slip in Monterey awaiting haulout inspection of damage from whale strike, and repair prior to return to San Francisco.

Dang, John. You have quite the stories to tell. Get well soon!!!

Philpott
08-30-2018, 04:41 PM
This from Lee, on his way home to San Diego on Morning Star. I don't know the answers to these very hard questions, nor will I offer dinner at Cafe Dura Mater for them, but they are good questions, worthy of answers. Do you have any?

"Greetings from sea. I am very pleased to be taking the Perseverance Award to San Diego where it will be on display in the trophy case at Silver Gate Yacht Club for the next two years. I am curious about the history of the Award, and the trophy itself. If you discussed this in your book, please refresh my recollection as to where. Otherwise, do you know: Why is 1988 the first year represented? Was there no such award before then, or was there a different trophy? If the latter, does it still exist? If so, is it on display somewhere? And the years 2000, 2002, 2004, and 2006 are not listed. Why is that? If you know; just curious.

It was great to see you and the others last night. Thanks again for all you do for the race and the club --er, non-club."

Here's a picture of Lee at his Real Yacht Club.

Philpott
09-04-2018, 09:02 PM
Here's a video from the other night when we met to listen to return stories. I'm sorry that the video quality is so poor: It was a free camera. Sorry, too, that I pushed the wrong button and lost Greg's stories, which were very interesting, especially as told by Greg. But here it is. I have some more video, but no more today.

https://vimeo.com/288276110

Philpott
09-18-2018, 05:26 PM
Here's a little video Chris shared with me. I cleaned it up a little, but I wasn't able to offer a shave.

https://vimeo.com/290598723

Philpott
09-24-2018, 07:06 PM
Here's a video of Greg as he sails back into the Bay from Kauai, taken from aboard Rainbow early in the morning. You know how it is sometimes when you are sailing back in from offshore? It seems to take forever to get under that bridge .... imagine how tired he must have been ...

https://vimeo.com/291395785