PDA

View Full Version : Good News, Bad News

Eyrie
09-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Monday (9/1) afternoon Skip Allan was picked up by a commercial vessel and he is safely on his way to a Southern California port, expected to arrive sometime Tuesday. From Sunday's position reports Wildflower was approximately 350 miles west of Santa Cruz, experiencing gale conditions and running downwind bare polled. Apparently Wildflower sustained some damage and Skip felt that he could not safely continue his voyage so he called for assistance. Sorry I don't have more information than this but most important, Skip is safe. If I learn anything more I will post.

Synthia

BobJ
09-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Weather buoy 46059 is close to Wildflower's last position before he had to turn South. That buoy report showed short, steep to very steep waves and wind in the high twenties. Skip's last two reports said wind was 30-35. Those are some very tough conditions.

I'm so very glad our friend is safe.

robtryon
09-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Give him our love if you talk to him, Synthia.

LaDonna

tiger beetle
09-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Ouch! - I'm glad that Skip is ok, that's terrible that he had to abandon Wildflower.

Can you keep us posted on what happened?

Thanks much for the update.

- rob/beetle

Warriors Wish
09-02-2008, 08:28 AM
If Skip chose to step off of Wildflower it had to be real bad. She was part of him....its a sad day.

Don / Warriors Wish

robtryon
09-02-2008, 11:58 AM
I talked to the CG today and gleaned a few more details (http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2008-09-02&dayid=162).

Robert Stodieck
09-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Wildflower, Sept 1 ~ 30 to 50 knots

QuikSCAT

http://www.comediapedia.com/SHTP_2008/Images/wmbds38.png

Eyrie
09-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Latest update from Skip's brother Scott: Skip should be arriving in port this afternoon and he'll proboably be back home in Capitola by tomorrow night.

This is the ship that picked up Skip:
http://www.visualships.com/MscToronto.htm

Synthia

AlanH
09-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Yeah, it must've been horrible conditions for this to happen.

My heart goes out to Skip, a truly great guy and a phenomenal sailor. I can't imagine but that Skip is bleeding inside.

You've got a boatload of friends who care about you and are pulling for you, Skip.

brianb
09-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Skip,

Sorry to hear this about your Wylie and great your OK. Your experiences sure helped in crossing in my Wylie-28. Hope to hear about the incident.

Brian
Redsky.

Phil MacFarlane
09-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Skip, So glad your OK, so sorry about Wildflower.

My thoughts now are with the remaining two, especially Ken.

Ergo
09-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Skip, what Phil said plus I hope to see you soon.

Bill Merrick

robtryon
09-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Synthia,

Anymore news from Ken? I'll post Rob's update tonight.

robtryon
09-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Just sent this update to Timo. Rob & Aaron are now on a 1/day comm sked.

As of 7 pm PDT, the boys were at 33* 11 N x 134* 21 W doing 3-5 kts on a heading of 90* beating into 25-30 kts of wind. Seas were heavy but not massive. Going over forecasts with them, Rob said he's going to crack off to probably 120* and try to get past 130 W as fast as possible, even if it takes him farther south. The weather will only worsen above 34 N and they're both exhausted from the gale (they're on the outer edge of it). Getting to calmer wx may take them longer to get home but it'll be more comfortable and safer for them. Rob thinks they're still a good week away.

Alchera
09-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Pictures of the transfer from Wildflower, taken from the ship.

Eyrie
09-04-2008, 09:14 AM
AT 1200P 03Sept Harrier was at

33.51N 126.08W E5.0 wind 30kts
397nm to San Pedro

all is ok on harrier....getting beat up but hopes the winds will ease (to 20kts! ha!) by tonite

about 350nm from long beach last nite.

Synthia

sleddog
09-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Dear Friends and Loved Ones,

The following is an abbreviated excerpt from WILDFLOWER's Ship's Log. I will be glad to attempt to fill in details or answer any questions posted to this Forum thread. But this is the best I can do on short notice as I travel home by car from S.CAL.

On Saturday, 8/23, 10 days after leaving Hanalei, we were halfway home to Santa Cruz with 1190 miles to go. We had passed the Pacific High, and were running in the Westerlies at latitude 38-38 x longitude 147 -17. So far, the passage had been going well, my sixth return passage from Hawaii aboard WILDFLOWER. But an ominous note on the thrice daily weather fax charts was the notation “GALE” between our position and the Pacific Coast.

I began to plan for this possible gale by increasing latitude, slowing down, and closely monitoring projected GRIB files out to 144 hours. It appeared from all forecasts that we needed to slow down for at least 48 hours to let the gale ahead abate. However, it is against my instincts to slow a boat down, and so with difficulty I reefed the main and dropped the jib in 8 knots of wind, reducing speed to a sedate 3.5 knots in smooth seas.

On Wednesday, 8/27, the morning GRIB file showed the area of most wind ahead was between 124 and 128 degrees, with no weather abatement until at least Monday, 9/1 earliest. Dwight on NA NA, 450 miles ahead, had reported gusts of 42.5 knots from the north between latitude 127-128 and having to run off under storm jib 80 miles. NA NA reported 20 foot seas the previous night near 37 x 124-30. I hoped that WILDFLOWER, by being at the latitude 40 degrees, would allow us to run off 180 miles to the latitude of Santa Cruz, should conditions worsen.

On Friday, 8/29, at sunset near 40 x 130, conditions began to rapidly deteriorate. I changed to the #4 (75% short hoist) and storm staysail, dropping the main completely.

The following day, Saturday, 8/30, with Santa Cruz 365 miles on a bearing of 095 T, we were having to run off due south (180 T) in winds 30-35 knots. By 1530, the sail combination proved too much, and I dropped the #4, flying the storm staysail (39 sq.feet) and towing a 30” diameter metal hooped drogue. It was uncomfortable, windy, and rolly that night, with the cockpit filling about every five minutes, and the boat being knocked down to 70 degrees at least half a dozen times. WILDFLOWER's shallow cockpit and oversize drains allowed full drainage in about 90 seconds, and this was not a problem.

The electric Auto Helm 1000+ tiller pilot was doing an amazing job steering, as it was being continuously drenched, even submerged. The Sail-O-Mat windvane was useless preventing or correcting breaking wave induced broaches and I retracted its oar to avoid fouling the drogue rode.

On Sunday, 8/31, the wind was steady 30-35, w/ higher gusts and a confused wave train from the NW, N, and NE. At 0915 I winched in the drogue to change from a hi-tech spinny sheet to stretchy nylon anchor line. Unfortunately, I found the drogue had split, and was no longer effective. I deployed my spare drogue, but without a metal hoop, it would periodically collapse astern in a breaking crest.

At noon, it looked like the gale was lessening. I left the safety of the cabin, and with two safety harnesses affixed to the windward rail, began to hand steer eastward on a reach with the #4. It was mogul sailing at its best, having to radically bear away to avoid hissing 8-12' breaking crests on the top of 15-30 foot seas.

At sunset I again went below with the Auto Helm tiller pilot continuing to steer nicely under #4 jib. Not long after, the wind came on to blow from the NNW, and the seas began to build further. That night I stayed suited up below with full foulies, headlamp, and harness, ready to dash out the hatch and take the tiller if the autopilot failed, and we subsequently rounded up. In addition, I dropped the storm staysail, as we were running too fast at 6-9 knots. Under bare poles DDW, the speed was better at 5-7 knots.

What followed ultimately played into the following day's events. During the long night, my third in this particular gale, breaking crests would poop the boat about every five minutes, filling the cockpit and surging against the companionway hatch boards. Even though I had gone to lengths for many years to insure fire hose watertight integrity of the companionway hatch, I found the power of the breaking wave crests slamming the boat would cause water to forcefully spray around the edges of the hatchboards and into the cabin.

During the long wait for daylight, I had more than enough time to ponder what might happen if the autopilot was damaged or was washed off its mount. I had two spare tiller pilots. But it would take several minutes, exposed in the cockpit, on my knees, to hook up a replacement in the cockpit, on a dark night, when the boat was being periodically knocked down and the cockpit swept.

In addition, I pondered the fate of the DAISY that had been lost in this spring's Lightship Race, presumably crushed and sunk by a large breaking wave. I also reminded myself I was responsible for not only my own life, but was also a family care giver at home.

There was no doubt that if WILDFLOWER's tiller pilot was lost that we would round up and be at the mercy of these breaking waves, some of which I estimated to be in the vicinity of 25-35 feet, and as big as I hadn't seen since the '79 Fastnet Race storm on IMP.

The anxiety and stress of this night, with the whine of the wind in the rigging, the wave crests slamming into the hatch boards, and the 70 degree knockdowns that would launch me across the cabin, created serious doubts that we could continue this for another night, much less the 3-4 days the conditions were expected to continue.

The boat was fine, and had suffered no serious damage. My physical health was OK, but I could see with minimum sleep that my decision making could be beginning to be compromised

At 0715 the following morning, Monday, 9/1, I Sat phoned my long time sailing friend, ham radio contact, router, navigator and weatherman, Joe Buck in Redondo Beach. Joe and I had maintained 2x/day ham radio schedule since leaving Hanalei, and he had instant internet access to all forecast weather and wave charts. I explained the current situation to Joe: that I'd had a difficult night, and wasn't sure I could safely continue. Joe's weather info had the highest wind and wave overhead on my current drift southward continuing for at least another three days, with continuing gale force winds and 18-22' significant wave height.

I asked Joe for help in some difficult decision making I had to do. First, would he phone San Francisco Coast Guard Search and Rescue (SAR), and query what the protocol was for asking for assistance, all the while making sure the CG understood I was not in trouble and was not asking for help at this time. (Coast Guard NMC Pt. Reyes, Kodiak, and Hono were not answering my radio calls on their published 4, 6, 8, and 12 mg freks, both simplex and duplex.)

Joe called back an hour later (0830) on ham radio 40 meters and said that Lt. Saxon at SAR reported no military assets within 200 miles or 20 hours, that WILDFLOWER was 200 miles beyond helo range, but that there was an inbound container ship TORONTO coming in my direction at an undetermined distance.

Joe helped me to understand if the boat were lost, I would likely be lost also. But if that I left WILDFLOWER in advance, that only the boat would be lost. I told Joe of my hesitation of putting my life in the hands of a possibly foreign crew on a big commercial ship during a transfer off WILDFLOWER in these conditions, especially at night. We agreed that a decision had to be arrived at soon, before 1130, and before TORONTO passed by.

I spent the next hour, sitting on the cabin sole on my life raft, debating whether to ask for assistance in leaving my beloved WILDFLOWER. “FLEUR” was my home, consort, and magic carpet that I had built 34 years ago. I cried, pounded my fist, looked out through the hatch numerous times at the passing wave mountains, remembered all the good times I had shared with WILDFLOWER. And came to a decision.

At 1115 I called Joe back and told him to again call Lt. Saxon at SAR and inform her that I was asking for assistance. Joe called back and informed me that TORONTO was 5-6 hours away, and that SAR needed to hear from me directly as to my request.

At 1200, like a gopher popping out of its hole, I slid the hatch open to get a clear Satphone signal, and called SAR. Lt. Saxon already knew my details and position, and only asked “What are you requesting?” I replied, “I am asking for assistance to be removed from my boat.”

We kept the conversation short and to the point, due to my exposure topsides with the Satphone. She said the MSC TORONTO would be requested to divert, that I was NOT to trigger the EPIRB, but that I was to take the EPIRB with me when I left WILDFLOWER. Contrary to published reports, at no time did I call “PAN PAN,” and no com schedule was kept with the Coast Guard, although I did check in with Joe every 30 minutes on ham radio.

Lt. Saxon also said that if I left my boat, she would be considered “derelict” and a hazard to navigation. I assured her I would not leave my boat floating or derelict.

Continued...........

sleddog
09-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Continued from Part 1:

An hour later, at 1300, WILDFLOWER's AIS alarm rang. MSC TORONTO was showing 30 miles away, and closing at 23.4 knots from the south west. I had to do some fast planning.

But with no idea how the transfer would be made (jump, swim, climb, hoist?) I didn't know what I could pack into my bag, bags, or backpack. I decided on my documents, wallet, passport, laptop, camera, cellphone and sat phone, logbook, EPIRB and a change of clothes and shoes. All this I bagged into waterproof bags. And in a moment of whimsy, decided to try and offload the two Single Handed Transpac perpetual trophies, as they had 30 year historical value to our Race.

At eight miles, the captain of the MSC TORONTO rang on the VHF. He spoke perfect English, and as I had a visual, directed him to alter 20 degrees to starboard to intercept. He explained his ship was over 1,000 feet long, that he would lay her parallel to the waves and make a lee at a forward speed of Slow Ahead (6 knots).

The captain also explained that I would board his ship from a rope ladder that led to the pilot's door, on the aft starboard side.

I asked if he could slow to a speed between 3-4 knots, and he willingly agreed to try.

At five miles, a sharp eyed lookout on MSC TORONTO sighted WILDFLOWER ahead. But the ship's radar did not register my boat until 2.5 miles in these conditions.

At 1415, one of the world's biggest container ships was bearing down on WILDFLOWER, less than five boat lengths (125 feet) dead ahead, the huge bulb bow scending 20 feet and making a five foot breaking wave. With my heart in my throat, I motored down the starboard side of a gigantic black wall, made a U turn, and pulled alongside the pilot's door and rope ladder.

The crew threw a heaving line, and in the next five minutes we transferred three bags, including the perpetual trophies. Knowing I was next, I jumped below decks, said a final quick goodbye, and pulled the already disconnected hose off the engine salt water intake thru hull.

Back on deck, I reached for the bottom rung of the Jacob's Ladder, which was alternately at head height, or 10 feet out of reach, depending on the ship's roll.
I grabbed hold, jumped, and did a pull up onto the ladder, and climbed up, wearing a 15 pound backpack with my most valuable possessions and EPIRB.

At 1429, on Monday, 9/1, at position 35-17 x 126-38, the MSC TORONTO resumed its voyage to Long Beach, leaving WILDFLOWER alone to bang and scrape her way down the aft quarter of the ship and disappear under the stern. I watched, but could barely see through my tears.

Four hours and 100 miles SE of where I left WILDFLOWER I was on the bridge of MSC TORONTO watching the anemometer True Wind Speed graph continuing to register 32-35 knots. From 140 feet off the water, the swells below still looked impressive, and the ship was rolling enough to send spray above the top containers on the forward part of the ship

For the next 24 hours aboard MSC TORONTO (1065' LOA, too wide for Panama) I was treated with the utmost kindness and compassion by Capt. Ivo Hruza and his crew of 24. We stood watch together, ate together, told stories, viewed family photo albums, discussed the world situation, toured the ship and engine room (12 cylinder, 93,360 horsepower diesel). By the time we came down the Santa Barbara Channel, ahead of schedule, and docked at Long Beach, I felt a part of this happy crew of 6 nationalities. I could not have been assisted by a better or more professionally manned ship.

On Tuesday afternoon, after clearing customs and immigration aboard, I shook hands with each and every crew member. And descended the gangway alone, to meet Joe, sister Marilee, and begin New Beginnings.

I will never forget WILDFLOWER. She took a beating in this gale. She never let me down, and took me to amazing places, where we met wonderful people and made new friends.

In this time of loss, a most wonderful thing is happening: many loved ones, friends, interested parties, and people I've never met are closing a circle of love around the mourning and celebration of WILDFLOWER.

Time will heal a broken heart. I look forward to seeing everyone at Carla and Mark's. I apologize in advance if at times I have to look away and wipe my tears.

Treasure Each Day,
Skip 9/3/08

Copyright Skip Allan 2008

Alchera
09-04-2008, 10:24 AM
An amazing story, we all are feeling your loss and sympathize. Very sad, but grateful you are OK. We look forward to seeing you at the Alchera tree.

Mark

Eyrie
09-04-2008, 11:02 AM
from Ms Harrier:

1030PDT wind has dropped below 20kts, seas better, on direct heading for Long Beach. 299nm to go.

Synthia

AlanH
09-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Taking assistance from the Coast Guard in 2004 fundamentally changed who I am, and I didn't go through anything like what you just did. You won't be the same person that you were, the day before the winds started to build. I know I'm not.

RESPECT, Sleddog.... and heartache, too. If you need anything I can help with, it's yours. PM me.

Ergo
09-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Mark,

You've been in my thoughts since Synthia's first post about you and Wildflower. I had a conversation with Sara, my wife, about it this morning and she said two things. "I hate that race." and "He made a courageous decision." Sara is one of only a very few people I know, sailors and non-sailors alike, who really understands what can happen when you're sailing around out there all by yourself and that while you may be the only person on the boat, you're not alone.

If we're lucky, when we go offshore we take along a responsibility to the people who love us to come back. If we're really lucky, we know that. We're all very glad that you're lucky and back.

Bill Merrick

BobJ
09-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Thank you Skip. I cannot imagine how hard that must have been to write.

In addition to your well-written and detailed account, the photo from the ship (with the wave about to break over Wildflower) portrays very clearly what you were dealing with.

What a testimony to your preparation and seamanship, and your willingness to seek out and accept the advice of those who could best provide it.

If there is anything that I can do, or SSS can do, to help get things back together I hope you will let us know.

robtryon
09-04-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm sorry I got the part about the pan pan wrong, Skip. Thanks for telling us how it really was. My heart is broken over your loss. Be well.

LaDonna

robtryon
09-04-2008, 04:36 PM
For anyone who met Alicia and Alfredo aboard the Rafiki On Verra, they're safe & sound in Richardson Bay after going through the same gale.

blighbaum
09-04-2008, 06:42 PM
When I think about all the help Skip has given me and so many others, it makes it even harder to read about the loss of Wildflower. Couldn't King Neptune have pointed his trident elsewhere? Well, I guess the important thing is that Skip is safe and sound and will sail again!

- Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

ChrisH
09-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Skip,
J and I have had lumps in our throats since hearing of yours and WILDFLOWER's plight. So good to hear you're now safe and amongst friends and family. The synergy of you and WILDFLOWER both amazed and touched us dearly in Hanalie, and while maybe gone, we have the spirit of WILDFLOWER ingrained in our memories.
Best to you and New Beginnings!
C+J

Sparky
09-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Skip:
Incredible. We're so happy to hear you're back safe. Thank you for sharing your story...WILDFLOWER will always be in our hearts.
With Love,
Ruben & Robbie

Jonathan Gutoff
09-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Hi Skip,

We are so glad you are back in California safe and sound. Also very glad to have gotten the chance to visit with you on Wildflower in Hanalei and to get to know her just a little bit. She lived a full life, and you must miss her very much. Thank you so much for sharing your story.

Hope to see you at the post-Tree,
Christine and Jonathan

ScottJ
09-05-2008, 02:16 AM
Hey Skip!

Tremendous courage to let go.

Wildflower will always be remembered rocketing across Monterey Bay and many other bodies of water with grace and beauty and a MISSION.

Glad to have you back home. NEW BEGINNINGS!

I believe.

Scott Johnson

haulback
09-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Skip:
My heart goes out to you for having to leave Wildflower. I can only imagine how I would feel having to do the same to my boat. Must have been pretty tough.

Losing to you, and getting to know you, was the highlight of my summer.

Bye for now.....Jim

sleddog
09-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Skip:
My heart goes out to you for having to leave Wildflower. I can only imagine how I would feel having to do the same to my boat. Must have been pretty tough.
Losing to you, and getting to know you, was the highlight of my summer.
Jim

Jim,
I too enjoyed our comraderie, companionship, and expeditions on land. Sharing sunrise coffee aboard HAULBACK at Hanalei was always a delight. I don't know we solved any world problems. But it was sure fun trying.

~skip

nereida
09-06-2008, 02:26 AM
Skip
I just got to read your story - I'm so very, very sorry. What a painful decision for you to have to make. It'll take a long time for the pain to die down - but your happy memories of times on Wildflower will see you through, I'm sure.
I feel priveleged to have been able to sail on Wildflower in Hanalei & I'm so glad you're safe and sound - and managed that rope ladder!

Jeanne
("Nereida")

dogbark
09-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Skip, my deepest sympathies on the loss of your Fleur. I am so happy you are safe and sound. Thanks for all the help and encouragement. It was a treat to be able to sail with you this summer and I will remember it forever, Al

sleddog
09-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Dear SHTP'ers
In answer to some questions raised on a different Forum:

What WILDFLOWER was doing out there was what she was designed and built for. In this day and age of bigger is better, in 1975, influenced by the stories and my sailing aboard solid little ships like SOPRANINO, TREKKA, SPIRIT, RENEGADE, and JESTER, I decided to build a small, safe, and cost effective performance cruiser. Like many dreamers in those days, I wanted to voyage.

Over the next 34 years, WF and I voyaged over 100K miles around the Pacific Rim, as far south as NZ and far north as AK, including 6 times to Hawaii and return. We regularly sailed together in the Gulf of the Farallones and off Santa Cruz, one of the West Coast's roughest patches of ocean.

Wind speed is not an issue for a well found boat. It is the height, period, and steepness of breaking waves that can damage.

When I left my ship, despite being swept for three days by the tops of cresting and breaking waves I estimated to be upwards of 30-35 feet in height, WILDFLOWER was in one piece. The bilge was dry, the rig and sails intact, the batteries charged, the engine available.

That was one thing that made it such a difficult decision: why leave my home when she was floating and undamaged? It would have been an easier call had we been broken.

WILDFLOWER and I were a strong team together. As I purposely built her with extra layups and thicknesses, stringers, oversize mast and rigging, full skeg, dacron sails, etc. she did exactly what I had hoped: was stronger than I am. I've been sailing all my life (63), racing offshore for 54 of those years, including Fastnets, Hobarts, 28 Transpacs, etc. I know what a broken boat looks like.

Nevertheless, every time I go to sea, I learn something new. GRIB files and QUIKSCAT are not infallible, and predicted windspeeds and direction can be off by as much as 25% . Diffuse wave trains can combine.

For years, I carried a 12' diameter parachute sea anchor, as well as three drogues and tire. What I learned by practicing with the sea anchor during those years: it is wave and boat specific. The sea anchor is better suited in gale and storm conditions for a heavy displacement, full keel, deeper forefoot such as TALEISIN as she makes slow leeway 45 degrees off the wind. For a fin keel half tonner like WILDFLOWER, a parachute sea anchor proved more dangerous in practice than effective.

As we celebrate WILDFLOWER, her legacy will be what we can learn and share with each other. The power of the ocean can be an awesome thing.

________/)_____________________

Hi Bob (Johnson,)

You are correct that an above decks tiller pilot is vulnerable. Like you, I had a full length rudder tube, and no intention of cutting that to install a below decks unit.

Nor did I have the power to supply a more robust below decks unit. For 30 years I had always used the SAIL-O-MAT windvane in windspeeds above 10 knots and boatspeeds above 4 knots, where it was very powerful.

It was a new experience for me that the windvane would not steer well under bare poles in a breaking sea. But I did know that the windvane oar would potentially foul a drogue line.

Using my little Auto Helm 1000+ tiller pilot in these conditions was not originally intended. That it steered for three days in these conditions is a real credit to modern technology. Would the tiller pilot have continued to steer for another three days in those conditions? I don't know, and you have hit the crux or possible weakness in my setup.

I don't know the answer to your question for a small boat. POLAR BEAR and others seemed to have robust setups. Maybe someone else can offer their opinion.

_____________/)_/)_____________^____________

There was no ultimate deciding factor in leaving WILDFLOWER. It was a combination of growing mental and physical fatigue; knowledge that if/when things went south, they would do so in a very short time with little chance of rescue. Also, as mentioned, it was not just my life that was on the line. Our family situation back at home dictated that I not go missing at sea.

If there was one thing that tipped the scales, it was the potential for disaster that would be the result of one of the truly massive waves breaking onto WILDFLOWER in a direct hit, if she were stopped in a broached situation with a compromised tiller pilot. The result would certainly have been either 1) the boat would have been rolled, and if I was on deck, I would have either been washed off to the end of my tether, or drowned while the boat was upside down. And/or 2) the weight and force of the wave crashing onto the boat would have crushed the deck in, as happened to DAISY.

As I half seriously told my partner, the thought of drowning in cold water was not appealing at the time. Better to drown in warm, tropical seas.

________(\_____

Sailing into the area of a forecast gale certainly takes some confidence and preparation. I had previously been in many gales and storms at sea, including the '79 Fastnet Race storm as skipper of IMP.

In six previous return trips from Hawaii with WILDFLOWER, I had encountered similar gales in the same area I call "Gale Alley." Gale Alley entends approximately from Cape Blanco, Oregon to the Gulf of the Farallones, and westward 300 miles.

As professional weathermen will attest, Gale Alley has the highest incidence of summer gales in the North Pacific Ocean. Why this is so is subject to analysis beyond scope here. Basically, the pressure gradient in Gale Alley is compressed between the East Pacific High and the heat induced low pressure over Central and Southern CA. This steepened gradient can remain for days. And a "jet" of wind and wave is driven southward off the Oregon/California Coast

I felt confident enough in the boat and my abilities to again plan to cross Gale Alley on this return passage. That things were stronger than planned is just one of those things that happen when you go to sea.

The size of boat and number of skilled crew is certainly a factor in successfully weathering conditions like we encountered. A long-standing rule of thumb by those who have run tank tests is that gale generated breaking waves of a height equal to or exceeding the beam of the boat, can roll a boat positioned beam on to such seas. (WILDFLOWER's beam = 9.5 feet)

The breaking seas we encountered caused a stout Robert Perry designed 42 footer to also run off under bare poles. A bit further north, the seas holed and sunk the port ama of DEFIANCE, a well found 45 foot Norm Cross trimaran also returning from Hanalei. They were assisted by the CG and a container ship, and safely made SF.

But size of boat, and crew number and ability, does not guarantee success in weathering gale and storm conditions at sea. The '79 Fastnet Race Storm had waves of similar height and steepness that I was encountering.....In the '79 Fastnet Race, out of 303 well prepared and manned entrants, 100 boats were knocked down 90 degrees. 90 boats were rolled further than 90 degrees. 18 boats were rolled 360 degrees. And 5 boats were held inverted from 30 seconds to 5 minutes.

It was this knowledge of what WILDFLOWER and I were encountering that helped lead to my sobering and heart rending decision. My dear and loving sister would have killed me if I had died at sea.

The water temperature was 62 degrees, plus or minus a degree. If there is a next time, I would also carry a survival suit to supplement the liferaft. WILDLFLOWER's small cabin was already filled with survival equipment, including all ISAF Safety at Sea Category 1 equipment. (4 man liferaft, flares, EPIRB, ditchbag, Iridium Satphone with 500 minutes, inflatable PFD, SSB and ham radio, etc.)

The amount of time that MSC TORONTO diverted off course, and lost during my transfer, was "insignificant," according to Capt. Hruza. We arrived in Long Beach well ahead of schedule.

Apologies for the rambling, but hope these details shed a little more light on our situation.

As a traditional Old Sailor's Prayer says:

From Rocks and Sands
And Every Ill
May God Preserve
The Sailor Still.

~skip

Hesperus
09-10-2008, 04:40 AM
Skip,

I don't believe that we have met, nor have I ever seen Wildflower. I did buy some sails from your brother a few years ago in anticipation of participating in the '04 Single Handed Transpac. I didn't make that race, but did use the sails in the '06 SHTP and to return Hesperus to the Pacific Northwest in '07. I was very sorry to read of the loss of Wildflower, I honor your seamanship, and I applaud your willingness to share your story.

As I am sure you know, there has been a long going debate in the nautical literature about storm tactics. Some sailors, for example William Albert Robinson ("To the Great Southern Sea") and Bernard Moitessier, getting inspiration from Vito Dumas ("Cape Horn, the Logical Route") advocate running off before wind and seas. Although Varua and Joshua were much larger vessels than was Wildflower, as I read your narrative, you adopted roughly the same tactic (you, however, used a drogue off the stern while they didn't). You mention that you have experimented with the use of sea-anchors, off the bow I take it. You suggest that such a tactic doesn't work as well for light fin keeled vessels such as Wildflower as it does for heavy full keeled deep forefooted vessels. I wonder if you think the tactic could be developed to work with boats similar to Wildflower. If it could, it seems that the crew could ride out gales such as the one you were in, get the rest they need and not have to worry (so much) about rounding up and being overwhelmed should the auto helm fail. Do you think that a sail could be rigged to help keep the stern down and the boat pointing into the wind and seas? Perhaps a storm jib could be hanked onto the backstay and sheeted forward to the centerline. I used my storm jib in that way, at the bow, to help keep the bow of Hesperus down and pointed at Hawaii after I lost my rudder in the '06 SHTP. I was in very pleasant conditions, I have no idea if it would work in a gale.

Again, I morn your loss, but I'm glad that you made the seamanlike decision and are willing to share your story.

Paul Woodward
s/v Hesperus

sleddog
09-10-2008, 06:42 AM
Paul,
Thankyou for your good wishes. I have studied, both actively and passively, the techniques and results of using a sea anchor. The best literature on the subject is found in the Pardey's Storm Tactics book, and the Drag Device Database.

It is difficult to practice with a sea anchor in coastal conditions, as wave heights and steepness are different from a gale at sea. As you know, proper sea anchor technique does not position the boat bow to the waves. Rather, the boat slowly makes leeway pointed at about 45 degrees to the wave train in its "hove to" position.

There is no magic formula guaranteeing survival of small craft in a storm at sea. The traditional tactics of 1) lying ahull 2) heaving to 3) running with warps or drogue 4) running without warps or drogue all seem to work about equally well. Where the crew and boat are strong enough, there is evidence that active, rather than passive tactics are preferable. (WA Robinson, Moitessier, '79 Fastnet survivors, etc.)

Given the situation we were in, I was trying to be active in crossing Gale Alley, which at that time extended from 44 N clear to the Mexican Border. Whenever the gale would abate enough, during daylight, I would actively try to nudge the boat eastward on its course.

Using a sea anchor would have prevented this attempt at escaping the gale corridor I was in....I have never tried a sail on the backstay. The radar reflector, and SSB insulator would have made it difficult hoisting.

Running before it was the tactic that was dictated in WILDFLOWER's case. Except for my being tossed around in the cabin for three days, and the stress of noise of wind moaning and waves hissing (I was wearing earplugs most of the time), the boat was adopting well to its position. There was no damage.

But all the weather info available showed at least another three days of these conditions at our position, advanced. If the boat or myself had been damaged during a roll, or other calamity, chance of rescue was much diminished. Commercial ships cannot manuver or launch lifeboats around disabled small craft/life rafts at sea. The thought of a night time rescue was untenable also. The reason a commercial ship will not launch a lifeboat in more than 15 knots of wind is simple: the launch is OK, but they cannot retrieve their enclosed lifeboats safely in wind and wave using the hoisting gear available because of wind and wave motion. I have discussed this problem with several ship's masters.

There is no Right Answer. Just choices. Then one does the best one can.

Regards,

~skip

Barbara Euser
09-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Skip,
My fondest memory of Wildflower is as you and she sailed out to meet me in Hanalei Bay. I will never forget how happy I was to see Wildflower, your smiling face and the waves and cheers of the others on board. Wildflower is immortal in my memory.

Thank you for having the courage to leave her and save your own life. I am sorry I will not be able to join you at the Alchera tree.

You are in my thoughts,
Barbara

sleddog
09-21-2008, 09:07 PM
GOOD NEWS: In an incredible show of perseverance and solidarity, the entire fleet of 28 Figaro boats stopped racing yesterday, and went in search of fellow competitor Christophe Bouvet, who had fallen overboard, at night, while spinnakering in a 40 knot squall. His boat SIRMA had broached, and was found drifting by another competitor, who alerted the fleet by VHF.

That Christophe was found is an amazing, inspirational, and educational story, well worth the read at http://www.capistanbul.com/en/news.asp?id=41

cr1
11-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Hi Skip and all,

I just read the full page article in Sailing in Full and By about you and Wildflower. Once again, thanks for expressing your fears, regrets and fond memories so honestly.

Rich Hillman
Horizon
Contessa 26
SHTP wannabe