PDA

View Full Version : Surprise!

Pages : [1] 2

BobJ
09-14-2018, 09:50 PM
Philpott made me do it! Actually, when I told her they'd arrived she sent me this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3-aAx4SOn0

BobJ
09-14-2018, 09:53 PM
Instead of going to the pump-out (which was Philpott's first ride on Rags), we motored over to see Dazzler in Brickyard Cove. The goal had been to turn the boat around and back it into the slip, but we got distracted.

Me and the yawl would accompany all y'all to HMB except I have to go to a wedding tomorrow, and the yawl has plastic-coated lifelines. I'll keep working on it.

Intermission
09-15-2018, 07:55 AM
Looking forward to seeing you sail in reverse by alternately backing the mizzen like Donald Street on Iolaire.

BobJ
09-17-2018, 10:13 PM
No sailing in reverse but I had my first solo sail on the new boat. Chris "Fugu" Case was returning from HMB and caught me on the way back to Richmond YC - thanks for the photos Chris!

I'd wondered what the mizzen was for and got my answer: It's for fiddling with! These photos also confirmed I should have the boot stripe repainted white (among other things).

AlanH
09-18-2018, 12:44 PM
Agree on the boot stripe....but that is one pretty boat.

BobJ
11-06-2018, 10:27 AM
Sled, there are several things you and Dazzler may notice in this photo. Others are welcome to comment but you guys saw the "before."

solosailor
11-06-2018, 04:09 PM
3rd reef?

Dazzler
11-06-2018, 06:11 PM
Bob, I enjoyed our coastal delivery of SURPRISE! That day reminded me over and over how often I look to the masthead, and I kept finding something missing. Good to see you’ve addressed that issue.

Other changes: I see you’ve made a subtle change in homage to RAGTIME! And, it appears you’ve been fiddling with batten flex. That top batten looks much better.

Tom

Philpott
11-06-2018, 06:41 PM
I'll bet the Number 18 wasn't up there yet when you sailed it from Santa Cruz.

BobJ
11-06-2018, 06:53 PM
No change to reefs, windex added, sail numbers changed, box for second batten replaced (improving tension).

There are a few other changes that Sled's sharp eyes will probably spot.

Dazzler
11-06-2018, 07:14 PM
Just so you think I didn’t notice... the tapes.

sleddog
11-06-2018, 07:26 PM
No change to reefs, windex added, sail numbers changed, box for second batten replaced (improving tension).
There are a few other changes that Sled's sharp eyes will probably spot.

You think we'd not notice the shiny, clean rigging? I like the new reef tack line, hopefully adjustable from the cockpit..Can't see if you solved the lack of telltale window in the jib by buying a new jib..but it also looks pretty shiny. And, Lordy, there's an asymmetrical spinnaker! I thought we discussed this is a cruising boat you bought ;) Good to see (from the mast shadow) you haven't ditched the mizzen yet.

BobJ
11-06-2018, 08:07 PM
No more mold on the spreaders - they were stripped and repainted, with jib sheeting stripes added. Many areas on the mast and boom were cleaned and repainted as well. Headstay, backstay and caps are rod, lowers and mids are 1x19. Speaking of 1x19, the plastic-coated lifelines were replaced and attached to the bow pulpit at 24" height. This was possible because the Hoyt jib boom is now gone.

A sharp eye would notice that the main is fully hoisted. With its old SK-75 halyard, the main sagged down like a bad pair of socks. The only running rigging that hasn't been replaced (yet) is the vang tail and the traveler lines. The traveler car was serviced however, along with the jib furler and backstay adjuster.

What you think is a reef tack line are actually stowable lazy jacks. They attach out on the spreaders to clear the sail better on hoists, then they stow up against the mast.

To run the spinnaker smoothly, another pair of cockpit winches were added. Those on Faceplant know about that project (it was the first one I did).

Yes, the mizzen abides, although a couple folks have suggested that lawn chairs would be a better use of the stern area. A fun fact: That spinnaker is the first one I bought for Rags, nearly 16 years ago. It was designed when super-long luffs for A2s were the rage - how convenient!

The above is just the rigging stuff - here's a teaser:

BobJ
11-06-2018, 10:49 PM
But then there's this project. "It's not all fun-and-games."

Philpott
11-06-2018, 11:41 PM
You have a HOLDING TANK? Like, a flushing head aboard? Wow. You have definitely hit the big time. Not that DM needs anything more than the perfectly adequate, relatively new porta pottie on its own little pedestal. But still. I'm impressed. When can we all come try it out?

BobJ
11-07-2018, 07:28 AM
When we're >3nm offshore.

:)

sleddog
11-07-2018, 08:51 AM
Nice replated, or new cabin lights...Did you convert to LEDs?

BobJ
11-07-2018, 09:28 AM
Yes - much brighter and of course, way less draw. The red LED bulbs for the dome lights came yesterday.

Except for dealing with the stinky holding tank, I'm having fun. She goes into the yard after Sunday's race.

AlanH
11-07-2018, 01:42 PM
That sure is one pretty boat.

BobJ
11-21-2018, 01:03 AM
About to be hauled out for KKMI's ministrations, including some color changes. Doesn't she look better without the goofy thing on her foredeck?

BobJ
11-27-2018, 10:10 AM
Down below things are smelling better. These lockers were full of head hoses which I'm convinced were installed before the head cabinet assembly went in! Now I have to figure out how to run the new ones. A bucket is looking like a good solution.

Philpott
11-27-2018, 11:32 AM
Down below things are smelling better.

This fascination with alternatives to toilets, is it intrinsic to men whose ancesters wore kilts? Alan, what say you?

BobJ
11-27-2018, 11:58 AM
Actually, women have more alternatives - the SquatShot, the SheWee, etc:

"The only leak you want on your boat." (https://www.amazon.com/Boat-Urinals-Women-Squatshot/dp/B00EGLEBWM)

But be sure to hold onto your phone:

The threat is real! (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8859063/Female-solo-sailor-saved-by-mobile-phone-after-falling-overboard.html)

jamottep
11-27-2018, 09:38 PM
Actually, women have more alternatives - the SquatShot, the SheWee, etc:

"The only leak you want on your boat." (https://www.amazon.com/Boat-Urinals-Women-Squatshot/dp/B00EGLEBWM)

But be sure to hold onto your phone:

The threat is real! (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8859063/Female-solo-sailor-saved-by-mobile-phone-after-falling-overboard.html)

Gee ... The life lines should be renamed the stay away lines ... Or something like that ...

hodgmo
11-28-2018, 01:42 PM
Surprisingly shiny stuff, but aren’t those outboard anti-siphon loops just below deck level a concern? They will not stop siphoning if they are below the waterline, as in when that side of the boat has its rail in the water. The bucket doesn't have these issues, but there are limitations to its use in civilized areas.

I just finished replacing the toilet and associated plumbing on Frolic, and the boat hasn't sunk or stunk yet, so I'm feeling pretty good (cuts, bruises and back pain aside). On Frolic I have the discharge anti-siphon under the sink cabinet, as high and inboard as possible. I got rid of the intake anti-siphon loop by teeing the water intake into the sink drain sea cock – the open sink drain acts to prevent siphoning. This also makes it easier to pickle the system. The new throne… https://photos.app.goo.gl/1qfkPLaKY6HXkFiS6

Anyway, during the process I took a deep dive into the options, and on the way came upon Peggie Hill's book on the sometimes dreaded head, and really recommend it:

https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/

Peggie is a frequent contributor to the Cruiser’s Forum and very approachable - I sent here message via Cruiser's Forum and she replied, and in the end, she gave me a lot of good advice (including the intake tee mentioned above), most of which I followed.

BobJ
11-28-2018, 04:16 PM
Thanks Steve. I discovered some of Peggie's CF posts just last night. I didn't know she'd written a book.

I've bought most of the parts to put the system back together, including an expensive chunk of Sealand's Odor-Safe hose. It's quite stiff so my choice of locations for the Y-valve and discharge loop will be driven mostly by what's possible with the hose. I'll use a heat gun to soften it but Sealand/Dometic says to go easy with that.

It won't be hard to improve the system. TPI (builder) installed a holding tank of a brand that Practical Sailor said wouldn't hold even minimum pressure without leaking. Moreover, the boat was owned by four partners and had no sending unit on the tank, which was installed where it was hard to inspect - a bad combination. ("Did you empty it?" "No, I thought YOU did!" etc.) The hoses were run where they could have multiple low spots that could trap effluent. Poor joints, loose hose clamps etc.

I keep reminding myself that this is a low-priority project for a singlehander so I'll take it slow and try to do it right.

AZ Sailor
11-28-2018, 07:33 PM
It won't be hard to improve the system. . . . Poor joints, loose hose clamps etc.

One thing my last boat taught me is that if you have a rigid holding tank, it needs to be very securely mounted. The tank in that boat was held down by wooden chocks that did not completely immobilize the tank in a seaway. The little bit of movement of the tank relative to the boat gradually weakened the fittings. Departing Avalon harbor early one morning, I noticed that the cabin sole was wet and quickly realized it was neither sea water nor fresh. The joint between the output hose bib and tank had parted and the compartment in which the tank resided had become a rather imperfect containment vessel for what had been the contents of the holding tank.

I fashioned a hold-down system for the replacement tank with straps from a pottery supply house that were designed to hold the two halves of a casting mold together. I cut the straps to the length needed, and had a rigging shop sew in to each end the kind of low-profile eye straps that you’d use to install hiking straps in a dinghy. The clamp/lever closures allowed the straps to be pulled very tight, and the new tank never moved as far as I could see in the remaining years I owned that boat. No further leaks.

BobJ
11-28-2018, 08:05 PM
Thanks Lee. The new tank is narrower than the old one and the wood chocks don't support it in all directions. Those straps look like a good solution.

I wish the new tank could go in the bilge like that. Surprise!'s hull doesn't have enough deadrise to provide much space under the cabin sole.

AZ Sailor
11-28-2018, 08:20 PM
The picture is a little confusing. The tank was in a compartment under the starboard settee. The bottom of the tank was level with the cabin sole. I would definitely go with the straps again if I had a rigid tank to tie down.

Lanikai
11-28-2018, 11:39 PM
I'll take it slow and try to do it right.

And when you're done, you'll get to make a potpourri from the panoply of holding tank treatments, and you'll be reminded of the allegiances people have to their favorites. I'll go first: Baygreen, the mobile pumpout people, turned me on to Happy Campers. It is aptly named.

BobJ
11-29-2018, 07:45 AM
Yes! What's funny is that two of the owners were the CEO and VP/Product Info for West Marine.

After emptying out the boat, my locker at RYC is full of that stuff. Come on over and pick your poison.

BobJ
12-11-2018, 02:36 PM
Glacially slow progress.

I'm trying to convince myself that the hailing port lettering is straight. Meanwhile I now know what a "joker valve" is. There's nothing funny about it.

AlanH
12-11-2018, 02:44 PM
[i]reading, bemused look on my face....

Gamayun
12-11-2018, 05:57 PM
That's a serious bottom sanding job.....

BobJ
12-11-2018, 06:05 PM
Don't use Hydrocoat if you ever want to get it off. It's hard as nails, doesn't work, and you can't put another paint over it.

Wylieguy
12-12-2018, 06:35 PM
3 out of the 4 large boats I've owned were "porta pottied." I know some (many?) recoil at the porta potty idea, but I've found it reasonable compared to the complications of an installed head: no thru hulls, no valves, no hoses, no stink. And no CG "Courtesy Inspection" probs.

Almost all my sailing is daysailing or an overnight to HMB or Drakes Bay, so toilet use is sort of minimalized

#1: I carry an old hospital male urinal in the head compartment for guy use. It helps keep the head compartment smelling reasonably sane since the urinal's neck is an easier target when everything swinging around (if you know what I mean) and the toilet bowel is moving, too. A quick dump into the bowl and things are over. Some women who've sailed with me used a feminine device that's similar, but most, just use the potty. I use a travel trailer enzyme product in the holding tank. No formaldehyde or chemical smell.

#2: Inshore it's the porta potty. Offshore it's the porta potty or a bucket with a fitted seat. On the way to Hawaii it was a toilet seat attached to a bracket that fit into the outboard receiver and hung over the transom (no, I don't have a picture!). Using the head on any boat is a semi-private venture no matter what. Even Jim Quanci's "Throne" (the best I've used) makes noise. And ventilation is always a problem in a small cabin.

Clipper YH has a dedicated porta potty dump station, so a quick stop and a hose out gets the porta potty ready for the next sail. I suppose growing up on a farm where we had a "two holer" part of the time and now living for nearly 50 years in a house with a septic tank has prepared me for the job?

BobJ
12-12-2018, 07:16 PM
For me, a big part of this hobby/pastime is learning new things. I'm an accountant but my dad was a mechanic and machinist, and my mom was pretty handy too. I learned to look at how something was put together, figure out what was wrong with it and if possible, build it back better. This head/holding tank project is like that.

The book Steve recommended is helpful and even entertaining. It clued me in to two major problems with the existing system: the improper routing of the hoses and the poor venting of the tank. So when it's all back together it will be better and it won't stink. But as you suggest, the pee bottle will still be primary and the built-in system may not get used much.

BobJ
12-12-2018, 07:39 PM
No photos yet, but another project is the transducers. The PO tried to make things better but it's taking a rework to resolve the issues. Example: Boat speed shows 3.5 knots on one tack and 6 knots on the other, even after tweaking the angle of the speed sensor which is too far up on the side of the hull. The depth sensor has been replaced with a tilted-element version that matches the hull's deadrise. The wind input seems pretty good so I'm keeping the stock B&G masthead birdie for now. The heading sensor is an old unit and not mounted in an ideal location (understatement!)

We're installing an excellent "Hall Effect" speedo on the centerline (which is proving to be a challenge due to the thickness of the cored hull), and I have plans for the heading sensor and autopilot components. Once finished this will be a very good system that can be properly calibrated.

mike cunningham
12-12-2018, 10:31 PM
3 out of the 4 large boats I've owned were "porta pottied." I know some (many?) recoil at the porta potty idea, but I've found it reasonable compared to the complications of an installed head: no thru hulls, no valves, no hoses, no stink. And no CG "Courtesy Inspection" probs.

Almost all my sailing is daysailing or an overnight to HMB or Drakes Bay, so toilet use is sort of minimalized

#1: I carry an old hospital male urinal in the head compartment for guy use. It helps keep the head compartment smelling reasonably sane since the urinal's neck is an easier target when everything swinging around (if you know what I mean) and the toilet bowel is moving, too. A quick dump into the bowl and things are over. Some women who've sailed with me used a feminine device that's similar, but most, just use the potty. I use a travel trailer enzyme product in the holding tank. No formaldehyde or chemical smell.

#2: Inshore it's the porta potty. Offshore it's the porta potty or a bucket with a fitted seat. On the way to Hawaii it was a toilet seat attached to a bracket that fit into the outboard receiver and hung over the transom (no, I don't have a picture!). Using the head on any boat is a semi-private venture no matter what. Even Jim Quanci's "Throne" (the best I've used) makes noise. And ventilation is always a problem in a small cabin.

Clipper YH has a dedicated porta potty dump station, so a quick stop and a hose out gets the porta potty ready for the next sail. I suppose growing up on a farm where we had a "two holer" part of the time and now living for nearly 50 years in a house with a septic tank has prepared me for the job?

I took all my head plumbing out along with holding tank. This created a ton of additional room. The bloody hoses took up a huge amount of space. I left the bowl in place and poured an epoxy plug to seal the the drain opening. I use WAG bags exclusively. No muss no fuss. Used bags are stored in a sealed Home Depot bucket stored in the lazarette. Bags are trashed when I get ashore. Ladies can use them for #1 and 2, I use a bottle for #1. Works great, cheap and super clean,

AZ Sailor
12-13-2018, 07:45 AM
No photos yet, but another project is the transducers. The PO tried to make things better but it's taking a rework to resolve the issues. Example: Boat speed shows 3.5 knots on one tack and 6 knots on the other, even after tweaking the angle of the speed sensor which is too far up on the side of the hull. The depth sensor has been replaced with a tilted-element version that matches the hull's deadrise. The wind input seems pretty good so I'm keeping the stock B&G masthead birdie for now. The heading sensor is an old unit and not mounted in an ideal location (understatement!)

We're installing an excellent "Hall Effect" speedo on the centerline (which is proving to be a challenge due to the thickness of the cored hull), and I have plans for the heading sensor and autopilot components. Once finished this will be a very good system that can be properly calibrated.

Sounds like Surprise! is right on schedule for the 2020 SHTP. Is that the plan, possibly, maybe?

BobJ
12-13-2018, 09:53 AM
Either that or Chapter 13 - whichever comes first.

AZ Sailor
12-15-2018, 04:47 PM
Either that or Chapter 13 - whichever comes first.

I literally laughed out loud when you first posted that. But it is sobering to think what this involves. Like the old saw, "I had a lot of money and spent most of it on boats and [your choice of other folly here]. The rest I just pissed away."

As I think about what it will take to get Morning Star ready for another ocean crossing, it is good to know that under Chapter 13, if you make your plan payments, you get to keep your boat.

Gamayun
12-16-2018, 06:10 PM
Don't use Hydrocoat if you ever want to get it off. It's hard as nails, doesn't work, and you can't put another paint over it.

Ooh, good to know. I used Petit Trinidad and have been happy with it. Haul out scheduled for Jan 2019. As far as the head is concerned, when I replaced the hoses, there was simply no more smell. Calcium build up and fluid remaining in the lines are the problems. Weekly vinegar flush is da rule now. No more kidding about Chapter 13, ok? 2017 was the closest to bankruptcy I ever got in my life...

BobJ
12-17-2018, 12:25 AM
Trinidad is one of the good ones. Micron 66 is the other, according to the hull divers around here. S! is getting painted with green Micron 66 - maybe this week - I hope!

The head is fresh water flush so with a new tank and new hoses it should be daisy fresh. The rest of the parts arrive tomorrow and I can put it back together. Then as Philpott suggested, y'all can line up and test it out!

I am so pathetically over budget with this boat...

AlanH
12-18-2018, 07:29 PM
Ooh, good to know. I used Petit Trinidad and have been happy with it. Haul out scheduled for Jan 2019. As far as the head is concerned, when I replaced the hoses, there was simply no more smell. Calcium build up and fluid remaining in the lines are the problems. Weekly vinegar flush is da rule now. No more kidding about Chapter 13, ok? 2017 was the closest to bankruptcy I ever got in my life...

I have Hydrocoat on the Wildcat and interestingly enough, it's worn off at the waterline around the bow. Everything else is still black with paint, from what I can see, and it's been almost two years. Whether it really keeps a lot of growth off, I dunno but seems like.

BobJ
12-18-2018, 10:42 PM
I checked on Surprise! on my way home from work (Richmond is between Concord and Benicia, right?) Her bum is as smooth as a baby's butt and ready for primer. She also has new sail covers, thanks to Tom and Debra at Cover Craft. Hopefully she's been absorbing some racing mojo from her cousin, the Express 37 Elan, on her port side.

BobJ
12-22-2018, 01:57 AM
(Prior post deleted.) Here's what that corner looks like with the floorboard and trim in place. The speedo housing is in the right-hand corner, under the floorboard.

Jonathan Gutoff
12-22-2018, 09:37 AM
How thick is the floorboard? Can you router out some space and a groove underneath for the wire? I know that it's a new transducer but I think Airmar makes some that have the wires going out the side instead of top.

BobJ
12-22-2018, 11:11 AM
Thanks Jonathan. It's 3/4" plywood. The problem with routing a groove is that the wire can't be bent down that much. I'm thinking I need to cut a 6x6 square out of the corner of the floorboard and build a shallow, removable box over it, just tall enough to accommodate the wire. The box will be tucked up in the corner so it shouldn't get kicked too much. I need to be able to get that section out of the way because there's no water gate in the housing. Lots of water will flow in when I switch between the speedo insert and the blanking plug.

This is where quality race component meets pretty cruising interior. On Rags I wouldn't have cared what it looked like... okay, I would have... but you get the idea.

AZ Sailor
12-22-2018, 05:22 PM
I need to be able to pull it out and replace it with the blanking plug when I'm not sailing.

OK, I'll show off my ignorance here: why are you pulling the speed sender and replacing it with the blanking plug when not sailing?

BobJ
12-23-2018, 12:44 AM
The paddlewheel gets fouled and won't spin freely. It was a problem on Rags because the autopilot needed speed input to operate properly, so I got in the habit of pulling the speed insert after every sail.

BobJ
12-28-2018, 11:51 PM
H5000 processor installed. Tomorrow I'll find out if the speedo works.

(This is a sailboat, right?)

BobJ
12-28-2018, 11:58 PM
Same slip, six weeks later (compare to post #20). White boot stripe pops and a green bum like Rags'. A new, non-dorky and spinnaker-friendly bow pulpit arrives next week.

Philpott
12-29-2018, 08:56 AM
H5000 processor installed. Tomorrow I'll find out if the speedo works.

(This is a sailboat, right?)

Is that a photo of Kynntana’s panel? Cuz it looks like a croozer panel. I forget: does S! have a corian counter? We’ll see if all those electronics help on the next midwinters. Let there be wind, oh please let there be wind!

BobJ
12-29-2018, 10:09 AM
Dunno - is this Corian? I keep winch handles in that big bin on the right, otherwise it's wasted space. The dishes went into storage. (Dishes?)

BobJ
12-29-2018, 10:16 AM
That croozer thing is a slippery slope. The next thing you know I'll have this guy on the payroll:

Philpott
12-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Hahaha!Steve has already called, was looking for strong coffee, I think. I’ll be there by 11 to inspect the fleet.

Philpott
01-01-2019, 07:33 PM
[Bob Johnston came ambling over. Connie had asked if his new boat had a working head, which suggested that she might be interested in sailing on Surprise! one day. Of course he lied and told her “yes”, his new sailboat had a working head. So Bob was on his way to buy “head hose”.]

And, as Bob might say, "here ya go!" https://vimeo.com/308915213

BobJ
01-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Alas, the new speedo was unsuccessful at attracting any ladies to sail yesterday, especially Connie. So I sailed singlehanded - it's what we do, right? The wind was light but it was a stunning day on the Bay.

I found out that the B&G system is like my iPhone, TV remote, etc. - there are too many options! I followed the instructions to calibrate the new speedo, making three 1 nm runs and letting the system average them and make the correction. The correction looked about right so I hoisted sails and headed out into the Bay. But something was wrong. Boat speed and SOG were always the same. I stuck the boat on AP and dove below to play with the settings. I discovered a box was checked to override boat speed with SOG for purposes of calculating TWS. I didn't tell it to do that. I unchecked the box and now it said I was sailing at 22 knots! Grrr.... Sails down, back to the measured mile in Pt. Potrero Reach and more speed runs. Now it's correct.

I forgot to bring the installation manual for the new compass so I couldn't do that calibration - there are three ways to do it and I couldn't remember any of them.

Modest progress. But yeah, the head works.

BobJ
01-06-2019, 03:21 PM
"Rain, rain, go away"... My lament resulted in this epithalamium: "We need the rain, suck it up. Why don't you take up an instrument?"

So I worked up my racing schedule for 2019. It looks a lot like 2018 and previous years, and got me to wondering what the rest of you are planning for this year. I know Philpott plans to go "up the Delta" again. I need to spend some time in the ocean on the new ride. What are others planning?

Jonathan Gutoff
01-06-2019, 06:44 PM
I may try the SSS Farallones. Although somewhere back in my memory I recall I never really enjoyed going out there. And we will be in the Delta after the Ditch again but plan on making the rest of the SSS races (except the LongPac)

Wylieguy
01-07-2019, 09:42 AM
My Summer schedule looks like the past few years: OYRA, SSS, BAMA, IYC ocean races;SSS and a few other in-Bay races; and SYC Tues. Nite beer cans. No Delta; I've made my final trip back from over there!

Lightspeed
01-07-2019, 04:41 PM
So I worked up my racing schedule for 2019. It looks a lot like 2018 and previous years, and got me to wondering what the rest of you are planning for this year. I know Philpott plans to go "up the Delta" again. I need to spend some time in the ocean on the new ride. What are others planning?

Besides 2019 SSS and a few BAMA races my new Honu ride wants to try out the Delta. I can finely explore places Lightspeed could never imagine. I do need to start over on my NCORC gear before any ocean races as a lot went with Lightspeed.

AZ Sailor
01-08-2019, 10:20 AM
I need to spend some time in the ocean on the new ride. What are others planning?

I can recommend the transit from the Gate to SoCal as a shakedown for ocean crossing. Read somewhere recently that would make a great qualifier for the SHTP.

Dura Mater at least would join the flotilla to Catalina, and with some advance notice one or more members of the San Diego faction of the 2018 SHTP fleet would likely meet you there.

AlanH
01-11-2019, 02:17 PM
Me? All the in-the-bay SSS races for one more year. Vallejo, Westpoint Regatta..though I have another chance to play the Rhapsody in Blue clarinet solo on a summer concert that would conflict with the Westpoint Regatta, so we shall see. I've enjoyed the SSS cruise-ins, so will do those.

I'd really like to do the Plastic Classic in the Piper. Barring that, maybe the Franks Tract Regatta with the Andreas Cove YC in early August.

BobJ
01-14-2019, 10:48 AM
I unchecked the box and now it said I was sailing at 22 knots! Grrr.... Sails down, back to the measured mile in Pt. Potrero Reach and more speed runs. Now it's correct.
All day yesterday it said I was sailing at 0.2 knots and the wind was coming from 180 degrees. All day. Houston, we have a problem...

Here are a couple photos from aboard the old windjammer. I think I need more line bags.

Daydreamer
01-14-2019, 11:26 PM
I tried to get a pic of you as we passed, up by RYC, but it didn't take.
Next time!

BobJ
01-18-2019, 04:27 PM
I know someone else got a photo and her film should be developed by now. I'm waiting with bated breath!

Jonathan Gutoff
01-18-2019, 06:08 PM
Before and after pics. We were too busy racing.

BobJ
01-18-2019, 06:36 PM
Very nice - thanks! It also confirms what I need to do with my jib leads.

North calls that 3Di jib "white." I thought it was going to be, you know, white. They said 3Di grey is solid grey and darker, and 3Di black is really black.

So grey is the new white.

BobJ
01-27-2019, 12:22 PM
Surprise!'s Three Bridge Fiasco report for Rich Baker, copied here:

After studying the wind forecast and currents, several of us singlehanders planned to go CCW (partly to avoid traffic). But on my way to the course and right up until my approach to the start, I kept looking over towards TI/YBI and it looked very light. I also observed the majority of the Moore 24's and Express 27's (where many of the best sailors are) going to Blackaller first, so that's what I did. Of course my friends who went CCW probably beat me - I know at least one that did, by a half-hour.

I got a good start and had a nice close reach down to Blackaller, finding a decent gap to get around the mark. Then I made my second mistake. Lots of boats risked the remaining ebb and sailed towards the north tower. Many had been swept out the Gate last year. But it must have been flooding well at the north end.

I took a more conservative route and headed towards Angel Island. Going south of the island looked like light air so I planned to tack across to the entrance to Raccoon Strait - the pressure looked good up the west side of Angel Island. This worked out well but I got caught in a huge hole near Pt. Stuart. I'd beat the boats who sailed the farther distance but then I had to watch most of them pass by while I was stuck in the wind hole. Once I got moving again I had a decent sail through the Strait and up to Red Rock.

The NE wind was strange up there. Boats to the east were on starboard tack in good breeze, sailing high enough to round from the east side. The boats to the west were on port tack in lighter breeze. Trying to cross over to the east was disastrous - there was a transition zone in the middle (probably from the island's wind shadow) that trapped many boats, including me. So I lost a few more boats before getting across into the better breeze and getting around. Then many of us got trapped again trying to get away from the island. It was also still ebbing up there, which wasn't in the forecast. We've seen this in other years due to runoff.

I hoisted right away and enjoyed a tight spinnaker reach all the way down and around YBI. The puffs put the boat on the edge and I actually dialed up once near SH Shoal light. The boat was pressed pretty hard just then, with the main a bit over-sheeted. I wanted to see where the edge was, and there was just enough breeze to find out.

Rounding YBI was tricky. Many boats took a wide lane to avoid its wind shadow but there was a narrow band of breeze up closer to the island. I saw a couple boats with spinnys still up, moving right on through. I followed them and passed a bunch of boats.

Then the spinny came down and we all fought the flood as we tacked back up towards Pier 39. There were lots of boats doing this and frequent crossing issues. As a singlehander I chose to duck several times when I could have pressed my rights - it just wasn't worth all the angst, possible crash tacks, extra grinding etc. This is where the Three Bridge is getting old for me: Far too many double-handers who are better able to play that game.

Once around Pier 39 it was a fast close reach to the finish with the jib on a rail lead. I finished just after 1500.

NorCal PHRF rated my boat at 114, the same as a Cal 40. There were four of them in the race and since we started at the same time, I was curious to see how we would match up. The wind was moderate enough that a couple Cal 40's were able to fly genoas. Azure started right behind me and rolled me immediately with that extra power. The Cal 40's with non-overlapping jibs were a fairly even match upwind. I didn't get a comparison downwind - I didn't see (or wasn't close to) any with spinnakers.

Conclusion: We were racing sailboats on a sunny day, with breeze, in January! What's not to like? I never put on a jacket. I finished the race and there were still quite a few boats behind me. The new (to me) boat sailed well. I'd call it a 100% success!

AZ Sailor
01-27-2019, 02:49 PM
I'd call it a 100% success!

As well you should, Bob. Nice report.

AlanH
01-29-2019, 12:44 PM
I got my first look at Surprise at the 3BF...that is sure a pretty boat, Bob.

Did I see another A-38 out there, but without a mizzen?

BobJ
01-29-2019, 01:11 PM
Yes, that's the daysailer version of the AE38, which they started building about eight years later. Carl Schumacher was gone by then and the builder's team redesigned the boat. It's the same hull but lower freeboard, more ballast and a much taller carbon rig with square-topped main. That emerald green one belongs to Cinde Lou Delmas (also from RYC) and she was sailing it on Saturday. Scott Easom has borrowed it for the race in past years. Fun fact: Everything is powered on it, including the traveler!

Gamayun
02-01-2019, 08:15 PM
Fun fact: Everything is powered on it, including the traveler!

No doubt....except for the alternator, apparently. I got the skinny from Scott on Wednesday when I was over at Quantum. A fire almost put a damper on Cinde's first solo race. Heard she had a great time despite this.

BobJ
02-02-2019, 06:17 PM
Those electric winches pull some righteous amps. Surprise! has one for the main halyard - when I step on the button they have a brown-out in Pt. Richmond.

(Well okay, AC vs. DC and all that...)

BobJ
02-03-2019, 08:24 PM
A handful of Lasers and an I-14 went out today for some heavy weather practice. All appeared to be well in control until they disappeared around the end of the jetty.

Meanwhile I was in the clutches of another project.

Gamayun
02-03-2019, 11:23 PM
Those electric winches pull some righteous amps. Surprise! has one for the main halyard - when I step on the button they have a brown-out in Pt. Richmond.

(Well okay, AC vs. DC and all that...)

You have a magic button?!?! I am so jealous :mad:

BobJ
02-03-2019, 11:53 PM
:cool:

BobJ
02-17-2019, 10:01 PM
I like my new boat, but today I was missing my old one. Everything worked on the old one.

AlanH
02-18-2019, 09:36 AM
I like my new boat, but today I was missing my old one. Everything worked on the old one.

I have yet to get to that point with any boat I've owned except Vingilothiel

Philpott
02-18-2019, 11:14 AM

To paraphrase Mary Poppins, “On the ocean enough is as good as a feast.”

BobJ
02-18-2019, 11:49 AM
The engine is reputed to be a good one - a Yanmar 3GM30 - and it supposedly has only 600-700 hours on it. But despite the boat being built in Rhode Island, the engine is a European version of the 3GM30. It had a "self-bleeding" fuel system, which was an idea that didn't work well. It caused the engine to simply not run now and then, due to air in the fuel system. This not-running happened to us shortly after leaving Santa Cruz to deliver the boat, and it has happened a couple times since.

I have a good engine mechanic who rebuilds diesels for a living. He removed the faulty self-bleeding system and did exten$ive other work. The engine started and ran flawlessly for getting to/from the 3BF and last Sunday's Midwinter. But yesterday it wouldn't start. It wanted to at first, running roughly for a few seconds. But after a few more attempts it wouldn't even catch. (I had turned off the raw water intake to avoid filling the engine with water.) The batteries are strong - it turns over fine.

Suggestions from the crowd? Again my mechanic is quite good, so I'm looking for experience specific to this model of engine.

This is a big boat, I have a downwind slip and I kinda need the engine to work, hence my frustration.

Steevee
02-18-2019, 01:03 PM
I'm almost positive you have air in your fuel system. I would start from the fuel tank and trace all lines to the injectors. I bet you're sucking in air from somewhere. That has been my experience with this engine. Something probably settled and shifted with use since your mechanic worked on it. Check all your connections and hose clamps.

BobJ
02-18-2019, 03:42 PM
Do you have the European version - S/N starts with an "E"?

No doubt it's air in the fuel system. The question is why, when it was just serviced and was running fine. I could have bled it myself but I didn't want to screw up his ability to diagnose it.

He has a couple ideas - I'll post back when we have an answer.

BobJ
02-22-2019, 11:21 AM
The mechanic says the fuel line is 1/4" and Yanmar specified 5/16" for this engine. Also, because of the location of the tank, the line is relatively long. He disconnected it at both ends and couldn't blow air through it. He replaced it with a larger line and routed it more directly. He also replaced the lift pump, which was being asked to work a lot harder than intended. The engine is running again so hopefully you'll see me at the start on Saturday.

Philpott offered to tow Surprise! out into the reach on Saturday morning if necessary - thank you Philpott!

Philpott
02-25-2019, 12:45 PM
Yesterday was Sunday and, since Bob didn't want to go back to work yet, I was invited to sail on Surprise! He let me steer and so we sailed around Angel Island and then raised that pretty blue spinnaker ("too small, need a bigger one") on the way back over to Richmond. Does she sail like a dream? Well, yes of course she does. So beautifully balanced that I could control the tiller with my knees. In fact, it was very similar to the way Dura Mater sails. hahaha. Only more faster. More!

Bob reminded me that there might be an Alerion 38 in my future, since one is for sale locally. hahaha/again.

BobJ
02-25-2019, 04:05 PM
In fact, there's one with a tiller:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1999/alerion-express-38-yawl-3647319/

And one with a wheel - in Wisconsin:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1997/alerion-38-yawl-3139702/?refSource=standard%20listing

Kind of unusual since they only made six yawls.

BobJ
02-26-2019, 08:38 PM
A great photo from the finish line on Saturday, thanks to SlackwaterSF!

AZ Sailor
03-10-2019, 09:19 AM
Surprise! has a stove with an oven but there are two issues: (1) A 20 year-old propane system with some dubious-looking hose that I want to replace before I blow up the boat, and (2) a skipper who doesn't know how to cook. There are skippers like Tortuga Randy, who can produce an endless stream of baked goodies from his boat's oven, and Sail la Vie Phil, who baked muffins during the SHTP - while I was eating 5-Minute Heater Meals (and losing 20 lbs.) Ragtime! didn't have a galley but Surprise! does, and I need to figure out what to do with it. Suggestions welcome, but you need to understand that the specialties of the house are hamburgers, hot dogs and frozen fish patties.

My prior boat had a two-burner alcohol stove top, so I had similar concerns when talking ownership of Morning Star, with her nearly 30 year old propane oven & stove and hoses of unknown age. Nothing in any of the extensive records that came with the boat suggested the hoses had ever been replaced.

One of the non-required items in my prep for the SHTP was installation of a propane fume detector. Bought the unit on line, thinking I'd install it myself, then concluded hiring a professional would give me a better aesthetic result and better peace of mind. And, since replacement of the propane hoses would not likely spike a material increase in the pre-race hemorrhage of cash, the work order included the direction to inspect and replace all hoses as needed. The proverbial asking the barber if you need a haircut.

The company, Morton Marine Services in San Diego, had done other work for me, and had helped me think through other potential projects, so I had a decent base of experience to support my favorable view of their abilities and judgment. Still, it was a pleasant surprise when they reported that none of the hoses needed replacement. And they came up with a very elegant solution to the installation of the display/control unit in the very challenging space between the battery monitor display and propane solenoid breaker. Because there are no other propane devices below, they put the sensor right under the oven where it will be the most sensitive, rather than in the bilge as frequently recommended.

I would say it was some of the best money spent in preparing for the race and sail back, but my sailor's amnesia leaves me blissfully ignorant of the numbers. The peace of mind over the propane question in mid-ocean was, as they say, "priceless."

BobJ
03-11-2019, 06:52 PM
Per your excellent suggestion I looked at some propane monitors. According to the surveyor I'm supposed to have a CO monitor too, so I'll probably opt for a unit that monitors both. RV places have a good selection but I didn't see any with a separate sensor. What brand is yours?

Any boat cookbooks with simple stuff? Like those they write for college students?

Intermission
03-11-2019, 08:23 PM
Per your excellent suggestion I looked at some propane monitors. According to the surveyor I'm supposed to have a CO monitor too, so I'll probably opt for a unit that monitors both. RV places have a good selection but I didn't see any with a separate sensor. What brand is yours?

Any boat cookbooks with simple stuff? Like those they write for college students?

I would worry that the RV stuff wouldn't hold up long in salt air.

As for cooking, we like to make meals at home prior to a cruise and then freeze them, so that all that is needed on the boat is to re-heat and serve.
On a boat I crewed on going up and down the coast many decades ago, we had cereal and milk with bananas for breakfast, a canned ham, a chunk of Jarlsberg and sourdough bread for sandwiches for lunch, and a number of different dinners; one of my favorites being a one pan meal with hamburger, onion, a can of chili, a can of stewed tomatoes and some pasta shells. We would brown the meat, then cook the diced onion down, throw in the two cans, and then add the pasta. The trick was to not drain the liquid out of the cans so the pasta could soak it up. Barbecued steak and baked potatoes, with maybe a green salad was another. There is a fairly popular group on Face Book called "cooking on boats", and I'm sure there are several boat cookbooks at Blue Pelican that can be had for a song.

AZ Sailor
03-12-2019, 06:33 AM

The brand is Xintext Propane Fume Detection System, model P-1B-R. Made for boats, with a 20' cable to connect the sensor to the display unit. Propane is heavier than air so the sensor needs to be mounted low. I have a separate Fire/smoke/CO detector (made for home, RV, or boat) located above the level of the galley counters/stove top, near the engine compartment.

As for cookbooks, I have "The One Pan Galley Gourmet" by Jacobson & Roberts, which looks good and has a spiral binding for laying open on the counter.

BobJ
03-12-2019, 09:08 AM
I did some editing to get the "how to blow up Surprise! while cooking" posts out of Philpott's "Sailing Tomorrow" thread. I didn't change anyone's content.

Philpott
03-12-2019, 03:14 PM
I did some editing to get the "how to blow up Surprise! while cooking" posts out of Philpott's "Sailing Tomorrow" thread. I didn't change anyone's content.

Nice job. Are you our new Webmaster?

Gamayun
03-14-2019, 08:02 PM
Nice job. Are you our new Webmaster?

Hey now.

Dazzler
03-15-2019, 11:06 PM
Bob, About that mizzen... have you seen this picture of CHUBASCO? Nice sails...

BobJ
03-16-2019, 08:39 AM
Yes, Chubby is racing to Cabo right now - that was at the start.

That looks like a standard code zero up front. Surprise! would probably need mizzen shrouds to support a stays'l that large and straight-luffed. Looks good though!

I see she's adopted Dorade's "here in name only" half-mizzen. Dorade is a North boat and I think Elvis (at Quantum) handles Chubby's sails. Might have to chat...

BobJ
03-20-2019, 03:43 PM
Here's a video of ORR-5's light-wind start off Newport Beach. Chubasco would go on to win her division, and she was one of the first boats into Cabo.

You might need Faceplant to watch this:
https://www.facebook.com/nhycCABOrace/videos/577053116143075/

BobJ
04-27-2019, 09:59 AM
While out calibrating instruments yesterday, Surprise! was overtaken by the lovely Mull 30+ The Shadow.

Aboard were Vallejo YC friends, owners Gail and Bruce Sinclair. The Sinclairs have joined Richmond Yacht Club and The Shadow is berthed one dock over, near her equally lovely sistership Pretty Penny.

Also aboard The Shadow were good friends LaDonna and Rob - it's always great to cross paths with those two!

robtryon
04-29-2019, 04:01 PM
Was out sailing with our friends on their Mull 30 and look who we found! 4235

robtryon
04-29-2019, 04:04 PM

BobJ
04-29-2019, 05:11 PM
That ONE time you don't bother to stow the bumpas!

Thanks Rob and LD!

BobJ
05-03-2019, 11:26 PM
With the SSS ocean races coming up, I've been giving some thought to how I would re-board if I found myself over the side. The assumption (and hope) is that I would be tethered, otherwise there's nothing to talk about.

Ragtime! had low freeboard and an open transom. Surprise!, with her high freeboard and ample derriere, presents more of a challenge. I bought a pair of etriers and have modified them. I think they will give me a fighting chance to climb back aboard. As with Ragtime!, the plan includes a second, perimeter jackline (outside the stanchions) which would allow me to switch tether "legs" and slide back to the etrier.

Philpott
05-04-2019, 06:09 PM
Only one way to find out: Have an etrier practice. Borrow Chris's wetsuit and we'll go out sometime this week. I drive, you go over the side. I'll bring the Sony. Then, when we return to E dock, I'll take my turn, go into the water and re-insert my new rudder to measure it for the bolt hole. It's called 'taking turns getting hypothermia'.

BobJ
05-05-2019, 09:54 AM
Only one way to find out: Have an etrier practice. Borrow Chris's wetsuit and we'll go out sometime this week. I drive, you go over the side. I'll bring the Sony. Then, when we return to E dock, I'll take my turn, go into the water and re-insert my new rudder to measure it for the bolt hole. It's called 'taking turns getting hypothermia'.

There are several technical problems with this. The first is that there's no way I could fit into one of Chris's wetsuits. How about if I drive?

jamottep
05-05-2019, 10:35 AM
There are several technical problems with this. The first is that there's no way I could fit into one of Chris's wetsuits. How about if I drive?

Using a wet suit wouldn't exactly be representative of the actual event and the cold shock that would follow...

Philpott
05-05-2019, 10:55 AM
An excellent point, Monsieur Jamotte! Immersion sans wetsuit would much more approximate the actual experience for Bobby the J. We could even go out to the Golden Gate to find a bit of swell. Monsieur Johnston?

BobJ
05-05-2019, 11:07 AM
Yes, that would be swell.

I just finished my "Durable, waterproof diagram or chart locating the principal items of safety equipment and through-hulls, (to be posted) in the main accommodation area where it can be easily seen." *** This, for a single-handed race.

You know, US Sailing and NCORC encourage OA's to waive any requirements in the SER that are unnecessary for the OA's race(s).

*** "What's that?" you say. If you work around NCORC's hacked web page and some broken links, you find this. See 3.28:

2019 NCORC SER (https://jibeset.net/show.php?RR=YRA_T008910624&DOC=X0&TYP=pdf)

AZ Sailor
05-05-2019, 07:32 PM
I just finished my "Durable, waterproof diagram or chart locating the principal items of safety equipment and through-hulls, (to be posted) in the main accommodation area where it can be easily seen." ***

This, for a single-handed race [?]

New in 2019 for NCORC, but this was part of the SER for the 2018 SHTP. Someone questioned whether that was necessary for a single-handed race, and someone else replied with a rationale that sounded reasonable at the time, but I don't recall exactly what it was. Something about being boarded by the Coasties.

Glad to have mine still posted as a quiet memento.

BobJ
05-05-2019, 08:24 PM
I put mine up in the nav station, so I'll have something to read while I'm eating my brussel sprout and kumquat pate'

BobJ
05-05-2019, 08:32 PM
As we all know, this enterprise is about lists. One of Surprise's lists is Skip's list, which he sent shortly after he, Tom and I delivered Surprise! up from Santa Cruz last year. Most of the items on Skip's list have been addressed, but one that wasn't was his desire to know the time while at the helm. That got addressed today, along with the final SHF items:

Philpott
05-05-2019, 09:11 PM
New in 2019 for NCORC, but this was part of the SER for the 2018 SHTP. Someone questioned whether that was necessary for a single-handed race, and someone else replied with a rationale that sounded reasonable at the time, but I don't recall exactly what it was. 4269

I recall the reasoning was that a sleep deprived sailor might forget where the iodine is kept for that gash. Or the second waterproof flashlight after the first is lost overboard.

BobJ
05-05-2019, 09:41 PM
...someone else replied with a rationale that sounded reasonable at the time, but I don't recall exactly what it was. Something about being boarded by the Coasties.

Okay, it's probably good that I removed the bong location from the chart. White-Out is your friend.

Gamayun
05-11-2019, 09:34 AM
I recall the reasoning was that a sleep deprived sailor might forget where the iodine is kept for that gash. Or the second waterproof flashlight after the first is lost overboard.

I attended the boat show in April and stopped by the Cruising Outpost table where I picked up one of their magazines. You know, the one with the bikini babe on the bow of some boat? I found some time last night to read it and it took a while to realize it was from 2013. Anyway (wait for it - there is a nexus back to this thread), one of the "new" items was for an app called What's On My Boat. I was really excited because I can't ever remember where I stash the zincs when I'm suited up ready to go diving. And the hack saw is too big to fit in with the regular tools so it goes some place else, which still hasn't made a dent in my grey matter. And on it goes. But flares? No problem. Band aids? No problem. I have that nice boat chart, too, but can certainly remember where the flares and first aid supplies are kept because I never use them. It's the tools that I tear apart the boat looking for! Well, the app must not have been that good because it no longer exists. Am I the only one who thinks this would be a terrific app to have? You'd only need to power up the phone and find whatever it is you ripped the boat apart looking for. Oh, I forget.....you guys don't actually STORE stuff on your boats!

BobJ
05-27-2019, 10:10 AM
The last day of vacation in Maine included a sail - aboard Surprise of course!

https://www.schoonersurprise.com/history/

Philpott
05-27-2019, 10:19 AM
an app called What's On My Boat...

How 'bout one of these? Use pencil. Plans change.

BobJ
05-27-2019, 10:43 AM
I'll go over today and see "What's On My Boat." No need for a little red book - I read on the internet that Surprise! is now one mast short of a yawl.

This results in a transportation problem: Her 26+ foot mizzen mast won't fit in my Honda Insight, and I need to get it to Benicia. Suggestions welcomed!

solosailor
05-27-2019, 03:22 PM
Enterprise rent a truck has 24' Stakebed trucks for $130. Concord location right between Richmond and Benicia. Or you could drive to Rio Vista and pick up the Azzura trailer which should work fine.

Philpott
05-27-2019, 03:24 PM
Volvo wagon comes with a middle fold down seat for skis. It also has a "moon roof" that opens. I used it for the mast of my West Wight Potter once.

BobJ
05-27-2019, 06:19 PM
Volvo wagon comes with a middle fold down seat for skis. It also has a "moon roof" that opens. I used it for the mast of my West Wight Potter once.

Doesn't use of the Volvo require buy-in from the VOR? How long was the Potter mast?

My own VOR doesn't know yet about the pending arrival of a much larger boat part. I just told her the whisker pole pole hanging from the garage ceiling would soon be replaced by "another spar." The replacement spar will span all three bays in the garage.

Philpott
05-27-2019, 09:00 PM
The potter mast was 15' ish. Or tie onto the roof rack.

Intermission
05-28-2019, 07:16 AM
My wife's grandpa used to sling 21' sections of pipe under his car on center, to bring them home.

BobJ
05-28-2019, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like renting a stake truck offers the fewest chances for disaster - thanks Greg. Currently, the mast is firmly lashed to the edge of the dock alongside Surprise! as she awaits further treatments at Easom's Boat Spa.

I saw Dazzler yesterday, who suggested that sailing the boat to Benicia for off-loading was the obvious solution. BTW, Cloud has new Awlgrip topsides. Any guesses on the color?

AntsUiga
05-28-2019, 09:35 PM
Depending on your vehicular inventory, a trailer does a good job of protecting the trailing end of a mast and the leading edge can overhang the tow vehicle. That worked for Lightning sailboat with 5-6 feet of overhang. Other trailers can be modified for the same result. I always found trailers to be cheaper than trucks. Maybe, an open u-haul trailer can do the trick. Just a suggestion.

Ants

BobJ
05-30-2019, 09:26 AM
Thanks Ants.

Our vehicular inventory consists of two Insights and a Prius, no tow vehicles. But it's a tough little carbon-fiber spar. I think it can survive the trip in a truck.

Philpott
06-02-2019, 06:37 AM
... this was about the worst possible day to drive into RYC in a 24' stake truck and expect to be able to turn around and get back out. Great planning, Bob!

Hahaha! I’m sorry I missed that!

AlanH
06-18-2019, 03:17 PM
Once I came close to buying a 28 foot mast from a guy near Santa Barbara....until I thought about what it would take/cost to get it up to the Bay Area. NICE...that it fit in the truck!

BobJ
07-01-2019, 09:45 AM
I'm sorry there have been no updates for awhile.

There's a new pulpit so free-flying sails can set ahead of it, and a new cable-less code sail (which probably won't be used in this LongPac!)

BobJ
07-02-2019, 08:26 PM
I ran out of time before the LongPac to get the waterproof panel cover modified and installed. The biggest problem is keeping the key switch dry. It turns out a McCormick brand spice jar lid fits quite well! I think all the Yanmar key switches are the same size so it you have one, this could work for you.

Yeah, it's green but the spices in the jars with black lids were more expensive, and the lid for thyme leaves already had a big hole instead of little ones. Details matter!

Philpott
07-08-2019, 11:57 AM
Walked down E Dock Sunday morning to see whether Bob was awake. What was this? No Bob! Seems someone collected him Saturday night and wouldn't let him drive home. I have never. Repeat: NEVER seen a Bob Boat so disheveled.

BobJ
07-08-2019, 12:14 PM
You DID post it! She looked much better by the end of the day.

BobJ
07-22-2019, 08:33 AM
I'm still waiting on autopilot parts so I finished this project instead. Plumber: "In our business, a flush beats a full house."

jamottep
07-22-2019, 08:40 PM
What's the sensor for?

BobJ
07-22-2019, 08:51 PM
To let the doctor know if you've been eating enough fiber.

Dazzler
07-22-2019, 11:18 PM
The setting: Plumber has his arm down in a pipe as far as he can reach. Looks up at me and says, “Well you know Tom, Your shit’s our bread and butter.”

BobJ
07-23-2019, 10:08 AM
Back to autopilots (quickly!) Based on its specs I really wanted this DD15 direct-drive, but the installation issues are causing me to return it. I'd have to rebuild the back of the boat for it to fit. Instead, Eric Steinberg has a new B&G T2 waiting for me. The current plan is to mount the T2 inverted on the bottom of the existing aluminum shelf and the old Robertson drive on top (it can't be inverted). Phil at PYI suggests that both can be attached to the same tiller arm. If not, I'll install two arms.

The existing Simrad AP42N (with its own compass and controller) and Robertson drive would be separate from the new H5000 AP and T2 drive, via quick-release pins on the tiller arm. This is based on Jim Quanci's input that when it comes to autopilots, you don't want all your eggs in one basket. Example: A failure in the wind sensor's PCB (at the top of the mast) can take down the whole B&G system, including the autopilot.

The old bronze tiller arm is a piece of work, eh? It was bored to 2-3/4" when the rudder shaft is only 2-5/8" - thus the rubber shims. Structurally it's better than it looks - an internal bolt passes through the carbon post. It was "really fun" to remove it for measurement. The old tiller arm might have to get me to Drake's Bay and back, then it will become a paperweight.

JimQuanci
08-06-2019, 03:57 PM
On keeping the key slot dry... let me suggest you get rid of the key completely. Simple power and start buttons (two wires to each switch) is simple and bulletproof. The wires and connectors on the back of these key switches makes "debugging" complicated... been on a few boats where they key switch died at inopportune times and sorting out how to start the engine took "too long". Its not like a car where the key is about theft...

BobJ
08-07-2019, 08:51 AM
Not to mention what Yanmar charges for a new switch. I'll put this on the list.

Intermission
08-07-2019, 09:16 PM
I bought a new switch for my Yanmar, my panel is below, but the switch fell apart one day when I was troubleshooting a starting issue.
The key and the contacts are totally separate; the key part twists the switch; the switch is fairly well potted, and one Yanmar key will start most Yanmar engines.
I think you could pressure wash the key slot and the contacts would still remain dry.

BobJ
08-07-2019, 09:49 PM
Not in my experience. The panel on Ragtime! was quite exposed in the back of her dinghy-style cockpit. On the third key switch I installed a cover on the panel and never had to replace another switch.

BobJ
08-10-2019, 10:15 PM
With apologies to Will Smith.

Old and Busted:

The New Hotness:

Sea trial tomorrow.

Philpott
08-11-2019, 08:55 AM
Even the “old and busted” one looks good to me. Shiny bronze=ooh pretty.

BobJ
08-11-2019, 09:20 AM
It was working pretty well, after I put hydraulic fluid in it! I almost postponed the project until after Drake's Bay. But all my dock mates are off in the Delta or something and I needed a weekend project.

Philpott
08-11-2019, 09:38 AM
It was working pretty well, after I put hydraulic fluid in it! I almost postponed the project until after Drake's Bay. But all my dock mates are off in the Delta or something and I needed a weekend project.

DM and I will be here at Dagmar’s Landing for another hour or so, then under the bridge and up to Steamboat Slough. Come on up for a drifter sail. Maybe you can drive here, get an Uber ride back to your car? I think they need the business.
It’s an open invitation: first five guests ride free.

BobJ
08-11-2019, 09:43 AM
You have more confidence in my mechanical skills than I do. No, I need to go thrash around the central Bay and wring out this new drive.

tboussie
08-11-2019, 04:21 PM
Bob,

I too am looking at an AP upgrade. I would like to hear more about your thinking around electromechanical (e.g. Simrad DD15) vs. hydraulic (e.g. B&G T2), boat-specific installation issues aside. I assumed that you were through with hydraulics...

Tom

Philpott
08-11-2019, 06:24 PM

Hydraulics, AP installations, so much cerebral consideration poured into your boats. Hmmm. I have another hour and a half of daylight. Anchored out here in Steamboat Slough I’m wondering whether to have another swim or dig into the food treats bag, the chocolate having been all melted then eaten up. My own Pelagic has worked flawlessly.

BobJ
08-12-2019, 09:46 AM
Bob,

I too am looking at an AP upgrade. I would like to hear more about your thinking around electromechanical (e.g. Simrad DD15) vs. hydraulic (e.g. B&G T2), boat-specific installation issues aside. I assumed that you were through with hydraulics...

Tom

The seatrial yesterday went well. The new drive is smooth and quiet but it does pull the amps - always 2-3 when engaged, with spikes up to 8-9 when pushing the tiller in longer arcs. I left it hard-over for a little too long at the dock and tripped its 15A circuit breaker. I'm not sure it will work for a Hawaii race unless I take more fuel than I'd like to. One possibility that could help is this gadget, since the clutch/solenoid pulls almost an amp by itself:

https://store.pyiinc.com/collections/lecomble-schmitt/products/ecopilot?sub-category=Linear-Autopilot-Drives

So between the two drives (assuming a Pelagic isn't suitable) I'd go with the DD15, which is a Jefa DU-DD1 with rudder sensor added. The DD15 is heavier than the hydraulic drives and due to its shape it can be harder to install, but having studied the specs I'm confident it would be more economical. I'm told it doesn't like to get wet so I'd install it higher in the boat or build some protection around it. Hanse Yachts often mounts them upside-down on the underside of the cockpit sole.

Like Ragnar, I'm waiting to see what the new, more powerful Pelagic actuator looks like. Brian says the current actuator should steer my boat so I'll work on that next. My old Simrad AC42N will control it, and I'll get a H5000 AP to run the B&G T2. With two sockets and plugs on deck, I could use the Pelagic for a backup and move it aft to drive the e-rudder if necessary.

I needed something else to do besides watching the tiller swing back and forth, so I played with the new code sail yesterday. It looks good and will fill a hole in the boat's performance:

BobJ
08-12-2019, 09:57 AM
And not ignoring Philpott's post and photo - I would have rather been "up the Delta." I also could have used the swimming. Spending two days in the lazarette left me kinda stiff.

solosailor
08-12-2019, 04:21 PM
DD15, which is a Jefa DU-DD1 with rudder sensor addedWe used one for test purposes. Very interesting drive unit. Very robust. Is the new code sail "cableless"?

BobJ
08-12-2019, 06:10 PM
Is the new code sail "cableless"?

Yes, North calls it their "Helix" luff - similar to what your Doyle guys have had for awhile. It still has a small cord in the luff to help with furling.

Philpott
08-12-2019, 06:36 PM
That looks like a bobsled run. Are you sure it’s a sail?

BobJ
08-19-2019, 11:27 AM
Well THAT's a surprise!

Philpott
08-19-2019, 12:36 PM
I guess that means you’re not bringing me a burger king to eat on DM in Benicia? Oh well, first they get the electric winches, then a “powerboat”. You look like a drug dealer.

Intermission
08-19-2019, 12:55 PM
I guess that means you’re not bringing me a burger king to eat on DM in Benicia?

Walk to 1st street, turn right. take a left at Military, and then a right on W 7th street. Go under 780, and the Burger King is near the Starbucks and the Raley's.

Philpott
08-19-2019, 01:15 PM
Walk to 1st street, turn right. take a left at Military, and then a right on W 7th street. Go under 780, and the Burger King is near the Starbucks and the Raley's.

Thank you, Brad. I’m eating a chicken, walnut, feta and apple salad w a cafe latte instead. The alternative to free burger king purchased w coupons.

I read in the newspaper that California’s marijuana tax revenue has proven elusive because people continue to get pot from their known suppliers. Here in Benicia the Bob to Boat delivery service is equally inadequate. For food I had to resort to a restaurant here in town instead. And I had to walk three whole blocks from the Marina!!!

BobJ
08-19-2019, 07:55 PM
Sorry, I don't represent my home town very well. I'm glad you found some lunch - First Street Cafe?

We just got back from Big Bear Lake. Sailboats were limited to a few Hobie Cats and a Mini Fish. So to keep the fam' happy I stooped to renting a stinkpot. I almost crashed into a couple boats while exiting the marina - the throttle was touchy. Yeah, that was it - a touchy throttle.

Those legs in the background are plastic. They rent them to you with the boat, so you can look like a drug dealer.

BobJ
08-22-2019, 11:39 AM
Latitude 38 just posted this. Somehow it reminded me of driving the patio boat at Big Bear Lake.

As often happens, the blue sailboat won this race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTYTrWKYUQg

Wylieguy
08-22-2019, 02:52 PM
Kame always said the SSS Vallejo 1-2 should be the "Vallejo 2-1" because sailing up with a chute is harder than beating back down. So I propose a new SSS race: "The Sears Point 2 - 1." Race double handed from Richmond to Black Point at the mouth of the Petaluma River for the "2 Race." Haul out onto trailers, drive up to Sears Point Raceway for the "1 Race" around their road course pulling the boats in their trailers. It would be much more fun than just going around an oval 50 times. Since Sears Point has lost NASCAR, they just might be interested.

BobJ
08-22-2019, 06:39 PM
There seems to be some interest in making this an SSS event, so I looked into it further.

One rule (yes, there are rules) was apparently added after the race in the video. The boat and trailer must be at least as long as the vehicle towing them. Since I drive a Honda Insight and own a 38' Alerion, this shouldn't be a problem.

Another pesky rule is that at least three feet of the boat must still be connected to the trailer at the end of the race. It doesn't say which three feet.

BobJ
08-27-2019, 09:57 AM
Racing to Drake's Bay and back, the AP drive worked well and the code sail rocked it! It would have rocked more had I hoisted it sooner on Saturday. I had it in my head that I needed 47 degrees AWA, but I just needed 47 TWA!

Sailing back Sunday, I elected to hoist the A2 without the sock. This was fine in light wind but it sure wasn't light wind after the finish! It got exciting trying to get it down before fetching up into Ft. Mason. A letterbox douse saved the bacon.

Great weekend, and Surprise! held her own against many of the light boats. Sorry, no photos to post (unless someone else has one).

solosailor
08-27-2019, 12:33 PM
I came in hot with the A2 doing 14k+ and then had the rude awakening of the barge anchored directly in the path. Very sketchy take-down but managed to not really shrimp or tear the spinnaker.

BobJ
09-01-2019, 12:03 PM
I guess I'll go pull a winch off and see what's underneath. The replacement has been sitting in my office way too long:

BobJ
09-03-2019, 08:47 AM
All done except the interior cosmetics, and it works fine. Does anyone know where to have teak boxes made? The off-the-shelf teak dorade boxes aren't deep enough.

Gamayun named Surprise!'s old halyard winch "the magic button." The magic button is available, if you're weary of grinding a heavy, full-battened main up the mast.

BobJ
09-08-2019, 10:51 AM
Coming up on one year so I'm thinking of killing my "new" boat thread. Would anyone miss it?

Philpott
09-08-2019, 11:11 AM
Coming up on one year so I'm thinking of killing my "new" boat thread. Would anyone miss it?

Yes, I would miss it, even though I can even walk down the dock to see Surprise! But if you’ve done everything you’re going to do ( and what more can you possibly do?) then go ahead and crush our envious little hearts.

rlbaker
09-09-2019, 02:17 PM

Bob...Yes, I would miss it! Please continue to share your knowledge, experience and sailing skills. Your AE38 (SURPRISE!) is very unique and you continue to make many very interesting improvements. It makes us all better sailors and boat owners...Thanks.

Lanikai
09-09-2019, 10:26 PM

By this logic, shouldn't the sled thread have died a few years ago? I don't like that idea, either.

and what more can you possibly do?
So much! Is any boat ever 'done'? As I recall there was a pink flamingo at some point on Ragtime. Personally, I'm waiting to see what Surprise! gets. A pink e-rudder? An emergency flamingo?

BobJ
09-09-2019, 10:41 PM
No comparison to Sled's thread. Once the new Wildflower was completed, that thread took on a life of its own.

Regarding the pink flamingo, Surprise!'s first cruise-out is coming up.

BobJ
10-03-2019, 01:47 PM
I get talked into things. I ordered Option A:

AZ Sailor
10-03-2019, 02:48 PM
Good call. Option B looks out of proportion.

jamottep
10-03-2019, 03:45 PM
That's really cool! Looking over your shoulder and the only thing you see is this "!" gaining on you. Fill in the blank ...

BobJ
10-06-2019, 08:43 AM
I installed the H5000 Autopilot CPU yesterday and will seatrial it today (after I figure out why it's not seeing the rudder transducer). It will be the primary AP and will drive the T2 hydraulic ram (which replaced the leaky Robertson drive).

The backup AP will be the Simrad AC42N with AC24 controller that came with the boat, driving a Pelagic cockpit actuator. Again, my goal is to have this second AP completely separate from the B&G system. It has its own heading sensor but initially it will share the rudder transducer (the AC42 wants that input). It probably can't have wind input unless I install another wind transducer somewhere (and that would be over the top) - AFAIK you can't have two APs in the same NMEA 2K network.

It appears I need a second NMEA 2K backbone to connect the Simrad components. Suggestions welcome - this stuff is confusing.

sleddog
10-06-2019, 09:25 AM
Back to electronics. This stuff is confusing.

! !

At 16 I was working a summer job at Watts Sails cutting out sail bags with a hot knife, when, bright and early Monday morning, in walks Fred Smales. In those days, colored spinnakers were not available except with red stripes. Fred, an excellent competitor, had the first all green spinnaker ever built for his beautiful and fast, light green, wood, Cal-32 (45' LOA).

Fred wanted an insignia on his new green spinnaker, a Fleur-de-Lis. Kenny Watts assured Fred we'd have his spinnaker with a Fleur-de-Lis on Friday for pickup. When Fred left, we all looked quizzically at each other. "What's a Fleur-de-Lis and where do we get a drawing of one for a stencil?"

I remembered in my lunch bag were some Girl Scout cookies and pulled out the cookies. Sure enough, there were Fleur-de-Lis. Burke took one of the cookies to his office and a few hours later emerged with a 5 foot stencil of a Fleur-de-Lis and cookie crumbs on his shirt.

Keith and crew traced the stencil on white, spinnaker, sticky back cloth and cut out the Fleur-di-Lis which was carefully applied to both sides of Fred's crisp green spinnaker. All good, and Fred was all smiles when he returned for pick up of his spinnaker on Friday.

Apparently Fred's good will didn't last long...At the weather mark of Saturday's race, in close quarters with the fleet, ESCAPADE's crew hoisted the green spinnaker with the Fleur-de-Lis for the first time. Guffaws were heard over the water and from ESCAPADE's crew...Apparently Burke's stencil of the Girl Scout cookie looked very much like an obscene middle finger gesture..Fred was a conservative and proper yachtsman and didn't like to be embarrassed. Boy was Fred mad when he returned the spinnaker bright and early Monday morning!

Beware Girl Scout cookies!

Philpott
10-06-2019, 11:58 AM
Back to electronics. Suggestions welcome - this stuff is confusing.

When I saw you yesterday you were diving into your lazarette with all your tools.

My suggestion? Go sailing, Bob. It's a beautiful day today. 13 knots in the Reach.

BobJ
10-06-2019, 07:28 PM
I didn't WANT to spend another afternoon in the lazarette, but I reminded myself that in two weeks I'll get to race to Vallejo with by buds (and bud-ettes). So dive in I did and as described above, all was mostly well by the end of the day. Today Eric Steinberg took my call while he was lounging at Muir Beach (what a guy!) and reminded me to "point" the rudder transducer to the new CPU. That allowed me to complete the dockside calibration, so I headed out this afternoon to complete the seatrial.

What a difference! My old Simrad had performance settings that ranged from "Don't Spill Your Drink" to "Trolling for Really Slow Fish." This H5000 is for Sailboats. Racing Sailboats. The settings range from "Prompt but Smooth" to "Gymkhana." At the latter setting I was roll-tacking my 38'er (well, almost).

Another matter... While taking photos at the Women's Sailing Seminar, a certain long-time SSS'er commented about Surprise!'s scuzzy-looking toerails. This is also being addressed...

BobJ
10-06-2019, 07:34 PM
Beware Girl Scout cookies!

Can I get a spinnaker with Samoans or Thin Mints on it? Those are my favorites!

Black Jack
10-10-2019, 10:44 AM
Bob, I really like and a bit envious of this thread. We have such similar tastes and directions. you are doing it while I just take from your done to make my list to do. Thanks for sharing.

BobJ
10-12-2019, 09:49 PM
Thanks Ted. Where do you keep Lively Lady? Pretty Penny and The Shadow are both within view from Surprise!'s slip.

Not much explanation is needed for this afternoon's project. Six out of the eight original lenses had cracks. I replaced all eight today but tomorrow I'll probably re-do them - because of misaligned holes (pre-drilled by Bomar), I think they'll crack again before long.

BobJ
11-21-2019, 11:46 PM
The new main arrived yesterday. The full-length battens are hard to spot = smooth!

It took some fiddling but all the reefs work properly. The third reef is SER-compliant. An overhead leech cord allows adjustment from the mast. Now to go sail with it...

AlanH
11-22-2019, 01:46 PM
Huh?

"The third reef is SER-compliant"

No lo comprende.

sleddog
11-22-2019, 03:08 PM
For those unfamiliar with "SER", it stands for "Safety Equipment Requirements."

SHTP SER 3.33.1 states: "A boat shall have mainsail reefing capable of reducing the luff length by at least 40%​ OR carry a trysail, with the boat's sail number displayed on both sides, which can be set independently of the main boom, has an area less than 17.5% of E x P, and which is capable of being attached to the mast. Storm sails manufactured after 01/01/2014 shall be constructed from a highly visible material." ​

The full SHTP SERs can be found here: http://sfbaysss.org/main/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/SHTP-2018_SER_011718.pdf

SER 3.33.1 is also a requirement for LongPac.

My 2 cents: As we know, trysails can be expensive, often impractical unless a second mast track or gate is fitted, and seldom if ever used by boats racing towards Hawaii. Thus the option of reducing the luff length of the main by 40% as in SER 3.33.1 as BobJ has chosen with the third reef on SURPRISE!.

3.33.1 does not preclude taking both a trysail, and having a deep (40%) reef. Some serious offshore boats have more than 3 reefs, and > 40%. If conditions warrant, an alternate to a trysail or 4th reef is dropping the main. This discussion has been going on since the 19th century. Each boat, skipper, offshore route, and weather encountered is different.

Daydreamer
11-22-2019, 03:44 PM
I had Marchal sailmakers add a third reef to Nightmare's main to comply with SER 3.33.1
Nice job and reasonably priced.

LongPac 2019 was the only time I considered using it, though swapping down to a #4 jib would have been first.

Nice sail Bob!

AlanH
11-22-2019, 06:32 PM
Thanks Skip!

comprehension dawns

I got a secondhand main which is in reasonable shape, though VERY deep. it has two reefs. I'm going to have either Synthia (if she wants to) or Joe at Leading Edge add a pretty deep cunningham and a 3rd reef point, probably next year.

My "bay racing main" just has one deep reef point.

BobJ
11-24-2019, 08:12 PM
As promised in post #171 - a fun new A2! This should round out the sail inventory.

Photo by Philpott! !

Daydreamer
11-25-2019, 11:58 AM
Wonderful !

AlanH
11-25-2019, 03:06 PM
!
Nice, Bob!

Wylieguy
11-25-2019, 04:14 PM
With the possibility of having only 1 sail, I could get jealous. Pat ;-)

BobJ
12-01-2019, 01:18 PM
Surprise! lists to port. I suspect this was to allow for a full ice box, possibly a refrigeration system and a bunch of crap in the cockpit locker, which are all on the starboard side. She also squats in the stern as Ragtime! did. My solution with Rags was to move the house bank forward. On this cold, rainy holiday weekend I'm ruminating about doing the same thing on Surprise! There's room for the batteries in the bottom of the hanging locker, on the starboard side near the mast.

I did a highly-scientific test: My dock neighbor, who weighs about the same as the house bank, stood at the starboard shrouds. That leveled the boat right out! The batteries would sit lower in the boat and not as far outboard, but I'd be removing that weight from port, aft and adding it to starboard, forward, which in very round figures would double the effect.

I considered the possible amperage and circuit length to determine the battery cables I'd need. I'd leave the starting battery aft near the engine so the highest sustained amperage is from the electric halyard winch, which (I recently discovered) can trip a 50 amp breaker. (Lewmar recommends 90 amps!) I estimate I'd need 2/0 cables about 22' long.

The cables would have to run across the bilge so I checked the CFRs (USCG) and found nothing. I'd have to purchase the ABYC standards - does anyone know what they say about this?

It gets more complicated (of course!) The ACR/shunt etc. is back there with the starting battery and I don't want to move that stuff.

Comments/suggestions welcomed!

Jonathan Gutoff
12-01-2019, 03:26 PM
If I recall the Express 37 and 34 have all the heavy stuff on starboard. Even the anchor locker is on that side. The theory was it's better for going to Hawaii...

Dazzler
12-01-2019, 05:33 PM
Bob,
I highly recommend Nigel Calder’s book BOATOWNER’S MECHANICAL AND ELECTRICAL MANUAL to help guide you through making any electrical changes, modifications and/or upgrades. All the tables and data you need are in that book.

Keep in mind that the battery cables need to be sized to minimize the voltage drop in the run, preferably no more than 3% loss. The length of run is the total ROUND TRIP. Over current protection (fuses, circuit breakers, etc.) are there to protect the wires not the devices, so if your electric winch is tripping the 50A breaker, make sure the wire is large enough for the load before going to a bigger breaker.

I also moved the batteries forward in my previous WC30. My new boat has a very minimal electrical system, but Im already making big changes.

BobJ
12-03-2019, 07:25 PM
Bob,
I highly recommend Nigel Calder’s book BOATOWNER’S MECHANICAL AND ELECTRICAL MANUAL to help guide you through making any electrical changes, modifications and/or upgrades. All the tables and data you need are in that book.

Keep in mind that the battery cables need to be sized to minimize the voltage drop in the run, preferably no more than 3% loss. The length of run is the total ROUND TRIP. Over current protection (fuses, circuit breakers, etc.) are there to protect the wires not the devices, so if your electric winch is tripping the 50A breaker, make sure the wire is large enough for the load before going to a bigger breaker.

I also moved the batteries forward in my previous WC30. My new boat has a very minimal electrical system, but Im already making big changes.

Fun, in'it?

Roger (and thanks) on the battery cables, breaker, etc. Scott's been doing some more work on the rig and has tripped it a couple times, but it beats burning the boat up. I'm trying to get to it. Time vs. money...

BobJ
12-16-2019, 12:12 AM
Okay, I have to show off the new rags:

Philpott
12-16-2019, 12:17 PM
Well, that's all very pretty. And I'm sure Rob was as engaging as always, e.g. very.

And what are you gonna do with it?

WBChristie
12-20-2019, 06:36 PM
Is the main 3Di endurance?

BobJ
12-20-2019, 06:55 PM
Is the main 3Di endurance?

Yes it is (as is the jib).

The start of a holiday project: Replace and move the house bank, replace the old Freedom 10 and make some wiring improvements. Thanks Rob!

Philpott
12-20-2019, 09:57 PM
The start of a holiday project:

I liked the way it looked before better.

BobJ
12-21-2019, 11:09 AM
You're such a traditionalist!

BobJ
12-21-2019, 05:06 PM
With Sea Wisdom's rudder bearings all repaired, Will chartered her out to the big man, who provided his own sails.

Happy Christmas to all!

seawisdom
12-21-2019, 08:40 PM
Oh my!!! Thanks Bob for finding this special Christmas card!!! The Hinckley on the card has so much details, WOW!

So I supposed to get new red & green sails now. Santa’s foulie must worked pretty well too.

Happy holidays everyone.

LOL!!!

BobJ
12-21-2019, 08:50 PM
Maybe Santa will let you keep the sails. You'll be stylin' next Summer in Hanalei Bay!

AlanH
12-21-2019, 08:59 PM
With Sea Wisdom's rudder bearings all repaired, Will chartered her out to the big man, who provided his own sails.

Happy Christmas to all!

Wait....there's no mainsheet!

BobJ
12-21-2019, 09:02 PM
Alan, you're such an accountant. Oh, wait...

saildoc75
12-27-2019, 04:06 PM
Happy Holidaze!!

BobJ
01-04-2020, 10:26 PM
Last year we left you hanging with Surprise!'s electrical re-do. Update: Rob finished it in time for the New Year's raft-up at Clipper Cove.

And a fine job he did! We got rid of the house bank:

And replaced it with a wine rack:

Batteries? We don't need no steenkin' batteries!

BobJ
01-04-2020, 10:32 PM
Oh, there was the listing problem. Three carbon foam Fireflies in the hanging locker leveled her out.
With their 80%+ possible depth of discharge, the Fireflies effectively double the house bank's capacity.
No worries - a rubber mat and a (to be completed) false floor cover them.

Now Surprise! is listless.

BobJ
01-04-2020, 10:45 PM
Some of the wiring - here's the other locker before:

And after (on the right):

A close-up of the new charger, which replaced an old, heavy Freedom 10 in the back of the boat:

Rob says he really enjoyed seeing his vision for the components and wiring layout become reality.

Philpott
01-05-2020, 08:12 AM
Seriously, Bob? Pinot noir in the bilge?

BobJ
01-05-2020, 09:55 AM
It's okay - that's not the bilge.

I just need to make sure the charger isn't working too hard or I'll get a call from Surprise!'s sommelier.

AlanH
01-06-2020, 03:16 PM
Hmmm...tell us about those batteries, Bob. 80% discharge is OK? Oooo

BobJ
01-06-2020, 03:50 PM
Bruce speaks "batteries" better than me:

Firefly Oasis batteries on OPE website (https://oceanplanetenergy.com/advanced-energy-storage-systems/firefly-energys-oasis-group-31/)

AlanH
01-06-2020, 06:30 PM
Bruce speaks "batteries" better than me:

Firefly Oasis batteries on OPE website (https://oceanplanetenergy.com/advanced-energy-storage-systems/firefly-energys-oasis-group-31/)

~~faints~~~

$512 each...for 112 aH?

BobJ
01-06-2020, 07:13 PM
"It's all how you look at it." From the link:

Firefly G31: $0.17/kWh

Lifeline GPL 31T: $0.55/kWh

Also, I didn't pay retail.

AlanH
01-07-2020, 05:07 PM
"It's all how you look at it." From the link:

Firefly G31: $0.17/kWh

Lifeline GPL 31T: $0.55/kWh

Also, I didn't pay retail.

That helps!
If they last 3x as long as regular lead-acid batteries, then they're a bargain.

BobJ
02-03-2020, 10:19 AM
Gale warnings were posted yesterday so RYC cancelled its small boat midwinters. An intrepid Laser sailor went out anyway, but before long he was escorted back into the harbor by a watchful rib driver. Over in the normally placid waters of the Oakland Estuary, OYC's midwinter race was abandoned. It was gusting hard most of the day, causing Surprise! to bounce around in her slip out near the end of E dock. Sometimes she does that because she wants to go sailing, but not yesterday!

After checking Flicker's docklines over in Brickyard Cove, Ed Ruszel stopped by for a chat. Then as the day blustered on, I was able to finish a couple of projects.

If we took a wave wrong and Surprise!'s cockpit was filled with water, only two thin speaker cones would have kept green water out of the boat. I've never been a fan of cockpit speakers anyway so out they came. They were replaced with 6" inspection plates. Cockpit tunes are not forever banished - it's possible to install speakers in the inspection ports, to be replaced with the plates when desired.

The bigger project, mentioned earlier in this thread, is a second NMEA 2000 backbone for the backup autopilot. This was installed in the lazarette to keep the cables shorter and connections easier. The backup AP computer, control head and heading sensor are Simrad components that came with the boat. The rudder sensor is shared with the primary B&G H5000, and the drive is one of Brian's Pelagic cockpit drives I saved from Ragtime! It all works but I only got through a dockside calibration before I ran out of day. I also need to decide where to mount the control head, since it would be hard to drive the boat from the lazarette!

The coiled wire is excess compass wire. I read somewhere that you should not shorten it. Does anyone know if that's true and if so, why?

The boxes in the upper left corner are the double-pole switch for the shore power, and a galvanic isolator. It bugs me that they aren't straight so I'll probably fix that the next time I'm camped out in Surprise!'s voluminous lazarette.

AlanH
02-03-2020, 02:31 PM
Tunes in the cockpit, great! Speakers in the walls of the footwell in the cockpit? Um...UUuuuuuuuuummmmm.

NO.

Dazzler
02-03-2020, 07:40 PM
Bob, What are the strings for that are tied to the seat locker latches?

Sorry, can't help with the AP compass wire question without just speculating.

BobJ
02-03-2020, 08:06 PM
What are the strings for that are tied to the seat locker latches?

The latches are a bit loose and don't have holes in them for locks or clips. The strings cause them to bind enough that they won't flip open easily.

The string on the right also ties the bilge pump handle (kept in that propane locker) to the boat, as required in the SER.

mike cunningham
02-06-2020, 03:37 PM
A bluetooth speaker might be a good bet so long as the speaker is well away from compass, etc.

BobJ
02-06-2020, 03:59 PM
I'm using a pair of these. They talk to each other and create a right and left channel, so it sounds pretty good:

https://www.theoontz.com/oontz-angle-3-ultra-portable-wireless-bluetooth-speaker

mike cunningham
02-06-2020, 08:01 PM
I'm using a pair of these. They talk to each other and create a right and left channel, so it sounds pretty good:

https://www.theoontz.com/oontz-angle-3-ultra-portable-wireless-bluetooth-speaker

yea, that's nice.

BobJ
02-07-2020, 10:17 PM
From Philpott's 2020 SHTP thread: "The kicker: Greg Nelsen agreed to make him an emergency rudder."

So here we go. Today Greg made a mock-up of the lower support for the cassette. With levels in all planes, I was glad we'd leveled out the boat first!

Some people deal in debits and credits while others like to play with epoxy. Greg counted out the minutes until it kicked, and was spot on!

In the lower-left corner of this photo is a choice to be made: Carbon tubes or SS? I chose carbon because it's for Surprise!

15 years ago, Greg built the emergency rudder for Ragtime! It's fun to be doing this project with him again, for another boat.

BobJ
02-09-2020, 09:46 PM
A gale warning was posted this morning so our BYC race was cancelled. Surprise! has to settle for second place in the double-handed division, having lost her opportunity to beat Zenaida in the final race. Congrat's to Fred and Jennifer, and a big thanks to Philpott who raced with me in November and to Rob Tryon who raced with me in the December and January races.

I also need to decide where to mount the control head, since it would be hard to drive the boat from the lazarette!

Before I went home I installed the control head for the Simrad/Pelagic backup AP, so that system is now complete. There was a disconnected analog fuel gauge in that spot, always reading empty. It bugged me. Also, the E-dock collective agreed that having the control head by the tiller might be nice when trying to switch pilots. So that's where it went.

AlanH
02-09-2020, 10:42 PM
Levels on the e-rudder brackets!...why didn't I think of that!!!

BobJ
02-17-2020, 09:31 AM
The old inverter/charger had a remote panel mounted below the main electrical panel. Removing it left a big hole. I thought about covering the hole with one of those nautical plaques: "Marriages performed by the Captain are valid only for the duration of the voyage." But a sub-panel for the new autopilot switches (plus a couple spares) was a more useful way to fill the hole. Chuck (the PO) had made two product videos aboard Surprise!, describing the modular panels available from Blue Sea Systems. I went back to Blue Seas and ordered a small DC sub-panel. Rob did his usual nice job of installing and wiring it, using a matching trim piece from TAP Plastics:

BobJ
02-17-2020, 09:43 AM
This weekend's project was to convert the other secondary/halyard winch to make it powered. I'd installed a powered winch on the other side months ago and thought I knew what I was doing, but this one presented new challenges. The installation options are limited by the location of the existing winch, since it's bolted through a molded base. On the underside, the motor and gearbox can be rotated in 45 degree steps but this is limited by headroom and aesthetics. The other side had a lot more clearance - this one barely fit into the available corner. But it turned out well and I won't bang my head on it. I'm still in the hunt for some nice teak boxes to finish the job. Does anyone spot another possible installation issue in the photos?

At the Three Bridge Fiasco skipper's meeting, Jim spent a few minutes talking about the rules concerning powered winches. Here's a quick overview. RRS Rule 52 says you can't use them (Rule 52 concerns stored energy). However this rule can be modified in the NOR for particular races to allow their use. This modification was made by the SSS (in NOR 1.c.iii.), OYRA (in NOR 1.7) and Berkeley Yacht Club for its Midwinters (in SI 1.3). In each case, the local Rule 52 modifications require that the powered winches be declared in the boat's PHRF application and considered in its rating. This was done last year on Surprise!'s PHRF certificate.

DaveH
02-17-2020, 10:19 AM
Does anyone spot another possible installation issue in the photos?

Apart from the electromagnet (motor) in close proximity to your compass? no.
DH

BobJ
02-17-2020, 10:26 AM
Bingo! :D Perhaps I should have a contest to determine how I should fill that hole!

Since the winch motor ended up on the side away from the compass, I thought I'd test it first. I have my doubts.

BobJ
03-09-2020, 10:07 AM
Not much to report (it's tax time) but I just had a grand revelation:

Since all the money I've spent on this boat came out of the market before it crashed, it's like I just got a 15-20% discount on all those boat parts.

amIright?

Philpott
03-09-2020, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=BobJ;25624] Since all the money I've spent on this boat came out of the market before it crashed, it's like I just got a 15-20% discount on all those boat parts. /QUOTE]

You're the numbers guy, but shouldn't it be the other way around? Or would that be too painful?

BobJ
03-16-2020, 08:37 AM
Like Ragtime!'s Yanmar, Surprise!'s Yanmar came with a light-duty alternator with internal regulator. This would be marginal for charging the batteries offshore. As I plan to install the replacement, I'm confronted with a dubious-looking twisted bracket. It's doing a poor job of keeping things in alignment, as evidenced by the belt dust. The tip of the bracket almost touches the side of the engine box so I'll have to find a new bracket I can cut short.

For those planning to sail to Kauai this Summer, this is a public service announcement.

P.S. Yes, I know. But I see a lot of folks viewing the site. I suspect I'm not the only one looking for a distraction.

BobJ
03-16-2020, 08:47 AM
Meanwhile, Greg is making great progress building the e-rudder. It looks like the blade is about done - now he can build the cassette around it:

BobJ
03-17-2020, 10:59 PM
I finally got around to measuring all the loads and preparing an offshore electrical budget.

Your comments are encouraged. What did I forget, or what looks out of whack? Thanks!

AntsUiga
03-18-2020, 06:59 AM
I finally got around to measuring all the loads and preparing an offshore electrical budget.

Your comments are encouraged. What did I forget, or what looks out of whack? Thanks!

The numbers seem reasonable and give ideas where energy use could be controlled.
On the demand side, the autopilot is the big user. Is there an opportunity to do some sailing and document energy use on different sailing angles? How much energy can be saved if sail trim is spot on? Alternately on the use side, how much hand steering is needed if power generation has problems?

On the power generation side, the engine generator setup is your lifeblood. Is fuel clean and well filtered? Any traces of sediment in fuel tank? Spare parts such as belts and generator adjusting brackets should be on hand. I don't like the look of the generator bracket since cold forming leads to stress cracks. Unfortunately, I have no idea what options are available. A tension adjustment would be nice if it could be incorporate - have some sort of tension screw so belt tension can be easily set then lock alternator in place. The idea of prying the the housing with a large screwdriver or flat bar while tightening bolts would not be fun at sea.

The power range of the batteries is probably not an exact number or could be something that changes. It might be a good exercise to change number to a smaller range and see what that does to fuel supply.

What are implications for major failure of generating system at mid-point of race?

The energy budget is the only tool to objectively look at the options. You are in a great position to develop scenarios. Good job.

Ants

PS when I developed one for R2AK, the use of depth sounder was a significant energy use. Not a problem in your case, but if you are approaching at night and with limited power, it could be a concern.

AZ Sailor
03-18-2020, 03:48 PM

Morning Star's electrical budget for the 2018 race predicted almost one hour of engine time to charge every day. And that was expecting 7 hours/day of sunshine on rigid solar panels with a total of 225 watts. We had little sunshine for the first 10 days or so, and not a lot over all, and ended up putting a lot more run time on the Yanmar 3YM30 power plant than planned. I don't have my log book handy so I can't tell you the total hours, but it might have been twice what what was planned -- so for my 17-day passage, maybe 30 hours or more. This was really not good for the engine. Then, in the inevitable slow down in usage after getting back from HI, things got worse. The injector nozzles fouled and the mixing elbow became so constricted I was surprised the thing even ran at all.

You are projecting >2.5 times the engine time I was expecting. Not sure that's a good plan, but not sure what the alternative choices would be.

Philpott
03-18-2020, 03:53 PM
Not sure that's a good plan, but not sure what the alternative choices would be.

Specially given the water heater for the hot tub. That's gotta use a lot of energy.

WBChristie
03-18-2020, 06:07 PM

What about the powered winches? The solar panel output seems optimistic.
I’m curious what happens to the carbon foam batteries when fully discharged and trying to crank an engine. Does damage occur? I know you have a separate start battery, not sure if you know the answer, be good to know

Intermission
03-18-2020, 07:51 PM
Another solar panel, or three, wouldn't hurt.
You don't plan on talking to anyone for two weeks on VHF? The system lacks elasticity.

DaveH
03-19-2020, 12:10 PM
I’m curious what happens to the carbon foam batteries when fully discharged and trying to crank an engine. Does damage occur? I know you have a separate start battery, not sure if you know the answer, be good to know

I know the answer to this... See my write up for DOMINO's 2015 long pac for the how's of that.
Bottom line; no lasting detectable effects on either the AGM starter battery or the Carbon Foam house bank.
Not that I made it a policy to repeat the exercise.

WBChristie
03-19-2020, 02:56 PM
Thanks, I responded on that thread

BobJ
03-19-2020, 10:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I've been off making my home office more productive for real work (vs. whatever this is!)

Ants: Those high autopilot numbers are mostly a stress test for the overall budget. The actual AP draw averages 2-3 amps, and I plan to drive more than the hours shown. In light, flatter conditions I can use the Simrad/Pelagic backup which draws even less. Balmar makes alternator brackets with tensioning screws - if they fit I'll go that route. I'll send you the Excel spreadsheet so you can try different ranges of battery use, but the main reason I bought the carbon foam AGMs was the much wider range of use than the typical 50-85%. Regarding if the generating system fails, see my subsequent comments. Thanks!

Lee: Rob T worked on my electrical system quite a bit and we've been discussing the alternatives. I had enough solar on Ragtime! that during her two SHTP's, I hardly needed to run the engine. The way I plan to use Surprise! the rest of the time, I'd rather not invest in a big solar setup that will mostly sit in storage after I get back. We're talking about a Honda generator that I can use off the boat. They have their drawbacks but it might be a better backup to the Yanmar than a solar setup.

Jackie: Surprise!'s hot water heater only uses shore-power. Off the dock, water is heated from the engine's heat-exchanger. I'll just need to plan ahead, and fill the hot tub after the engine's been running.

Gary: I can't use the powered winches during the SHTP (and I wouldn't need them offshore anyway), so they aren't in the budget. The solar shown is a small panel I already have (saved from Ragtime!) It fits nicely on top of the dodger and I'll take it along, but it's a small piece in the overall puzzle. As Dave wrote, the carbon foams can be drawn down significantly (lower than the 20% shown) and bounce back. But I don't plan to make a habit of doing that.

Brad: Yes, either lots more panel or something else (like the portable generator mentioned above). I think you're right about dialing in some transmission time on the VHF. I don't recall having anyone in VHF range in the previous races, so I just stuck a zero in there. What do you mean when you say the system lacks elasticity?

Thanks again all - keep 'em coming.

Intermission
03-20-2020, 10:46 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I've been off making my home office more productive for real work (vs. whatever this is!)

Brad: Yes, either lots more panel or something else (like the portable generator mentioned above). I think you're right about dialing in some transmission time on the VHF. I don't recall having anyone in VHF range in the previous races, so I just stuck a zero in there. What do you mean when you say the system lacks elasticity?

Sorry Bob,
It was late, I didn't use all my words.

You are relying on the Yanmar for over 90% of your needs, while your consumption seems high; seven amps an hour on average? Really?
To the VHF, I was thinking about passing ships, or competitors within 25 miles, or the start and finish.
Do you really need instruments and small chart plotter on 24/7? Could the large plotter get away with 30 minutes every 8 hours? If you do plan on getting a generator, I highly recommend the Honda knock offs at half the price. Harbor freight has them under the name "Predator" for under $500. (Up in the hills, we are some of the last to have power restored by Pacific Gas & Explosion) I've had one for several years; it has a Yamaha engine, but I wouldn't want to wrestle it or fuel it anywhere, besides at anchor in the Delta.
Solar has come down in price and up in efficiency, since you last crossed the puddle, and would be much lighter weight than a generator or the extra fuel for the Yanmar.
I'd either buy them new and return at the end of the trip, or get used at Blue Pelican. When you get back, you could hang them up with the extra spars in the garage.
Blue Pelican often has used wind generators too. Even more amps per buck, that would charge most of the time instead of just daylight.

Philpott
03-20-2020, 11:51 AM
First of all, I don't know why Surprise! is in the shorthanded thread.

Also, here are some items you are welcome to borrow:

This from Max last year:

and this from Greg Ashby, before he sold Nightmare:

BobJ
03-20-2020, 12:25 PM
Thanks Jackie! That's a good charge controller - I'll take you up on borrowing it. Defender's warehouse sale started today so I'll see what they have for solar panels (50 watts won't do much).

In the long run, I think Rob's portable generator idea is good - but man I hate having gasoline on my boat to run it.

robtryon
03-20-2020, 02:01 PM
To clarify, my generator idea was in response to Bpb's desire to not invest the time, effort and cost of installing a big solar system he'd use once and then store in his garage. Over years of using generators, LD and I have "perfected" the venting and fueling issues while underway. All that being said, I really think Bob should get four of these and three more Victron controllers.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079HJQBVW/?tag=marinafb-20

Philpott
03-20-2020, 02:10 PM
I really think Bob should get four of these and three more Victron controllers.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079HJQBVW/?tag=marinafb-20

Sure! Why not? It's only money.

robtryon
03-20-2020, 03:41 PM
Or this https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-62523.html?cid=paid_google|*PLA+-+Top+SKUs+-+Generators+%28Main%29|62523+-+Predator+2000+Watt|62523&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=*PLA+-+Top+SKUs+-+Generators+%28Main%29&utm_content=62523+-+Predator+2000+Watt&gclid=Cj0KCQjw09HzBRDrARIsAG60GP9_zxggNB1t4BaDtT1J IkhmA9NzVuUJqtBqNhsYA6etTwOsO3r5HMsaArJcEALw_wcB

Or this https://www.grainger.com/product/454Z67?gclid=Cj0KCQjw09HzBRDrARIsAG60GP9EVnHP0QB-ewUHtSy0HIWU7Z6P_s4I-8lqg_e1LzlQIgaeX0lNT8oaAvNLEALw_wcB&cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&ef_id=Cj0KCQjw09HzBRDrARIsAG60GP9EVnHP0QB-ewUHtSy0HIWU7Z6P_s4I-8lqg_e1LzlQIgaeX0lNT8oaAvNLEALw_wcB:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!243496286136!!!g!591772622352!

Either one would need a couple hundred dollars in welding and plumbing, to be safer offshore. I think that for a 12 to 14 day passage one tank of gas might be enough.

Philpott
03-20-2020, 03:55 PM
Buy this! Buy this! Puleeze, Bob!

SO much fun spending other peoples' money.

BobJ
03-20-2020, 04:02 PM
Sorry, that one is sold.

Rob and LaDonna renamed it Princess Sparkle Unicorn (Sparkle for short). Okay, maybe it wasn't that particular yacht but a power boat purchase and the name is TRUE.

It's just as well. Against my better judgement I looked at my Vanguard account. "Don't look" they said. But I looked.

One of Rob's links includes a video of a guy running those little generators. Noise, smoke, more noise. And they weigh about 50 lbs. I don't think that's what I want.