PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Vallejo 1-2

Travieso
10-16-2018, 05:19 PM
There is really only one division for the Vallejo 1-2, correct? At most one person on Saturday and at most 2 people on Sunday? I shouldn't have to choose Single or double handed?

Daydreamer
10-16-2018, 09:48 PM
I believe you do need to indicate on the registration whether you are single or double handed for Sunday.

Philpott
10-17-2018, 09:55 AM
Just in time for the boat squash in Vallejo Yacht Harbor, a new dock neighbor in Richmond gave Dura Mater his old big fat 'bumpas'. His four old ones look about 30 years newer than Dura Mater's best, but they are not good enough for his lovely, supremely maintained sailboat. Gene told me that his boat is an Ericson, and it looks just like Christian Williams' boat, the one he wrote about in Alone Together. The stainless is sparkling, the hull unblemished. Gene’s boat now sports four blindingly white new fenders and DM, with the slightly less blinding hand-me-downs, has plenty to go all around in Vallejo. Ah, the benefits of being in a boat harbor full of nice boats where old stuff goes to new friends! When we were in Berkeley DM’s old stuff got snatched up at the dumpster. It’s all a matter of perspective.

I also notice that the finish time for the Vallejo 1 has been extended until 7 pm for the Race. That is good except that I have reviewed the wind forecast, which is discouraging. DM and I went out yesterday to practice with the spinnaker near Saturday’s start line. There was such a dearth of wind that I practiced gybing, which was a harrowing experience (for me) even on glass. There was wind from the south, then from the north, then from the east, due west, then south again. I tried to catch a downwind draft, even when it pointed us straight at a barge and tugs, turning and turning like a dog chasing its tail. Sadly, we never went faster than 1.2 knots. It might be a long day on Saturday. If this serves to dismay the other heavy boats in my division (Jan and Daniel), then that is just unfortunate. Last year the food had already been put away by the time Sweet Pea and Dura Mater arrived. We had to bribe the kitchen volunteers to make us burgers. That was seriously sad.

And in case anyone from the Race Deck is reading this:

First of all, thank you very much for your time and attention. If Dura Mater and I arrive before you leave at the end of the day, I will buy each of you a beer, and
Second: I sure hope there won’t be a postponement at the start of the race. In my opinion that is just a losing proposition. And as Ray Irvine notes so often when he hopes you will pay attention: This is IMHO.

Travieso
10-17-2018, 11:57 AM
I believe you do need to indicate on the registration whether you are single or double handed for Sunday.

I saw that on the registration, but there is only one combined winner regardless of how many people are on board on Sunday, no?

Philpott
10-17-2018, 01:02 PM
...but there is only one combined winner regardless of how many people are on board on Sunday, no?

Hey! Wait a minute! Daniel alludes to (but does not directly address) a valid point! Aside from the fact that big fat heavy boats whose skippers have shoddy sailing skills are terribly disadvantaged by better sailors on smaller faster boats, singlehanded sailors who race against doublehanded sailors in the Vallejo 2 are being discriminated against. And this is the Singlehanded Sailing Society. I call for reconsideration! And maybe redress and attorney's fees! I seem to recall that this issue has previously been brought to the attention of an SSS Race Committee. In fact, I'm pretty sure that Daniel himself has brought it up before. And before that, too. Points are points, after all. Or do I misconstrue the concern?

Lightspeed
10-17-2018, 05:09 PM
It is the skippers choice to sail Sunday single or double. Some would argue single with less weight is an advantage. The single was added Sunday so skipper were not disqualified if they sailed back solo. Also RC must keep track of souls on board to USCG and single registration on Sunday stops any confusion on head count...

Philpott
10-18-2018, 10:30 AM
ORANGE ALERT: Although some people think no one reads this forum, I know they do because Sled Dog's numbers keep going up and up.

Jim Vickers has requested help at the start of the race on Saturday morning. If no one steps up it will be only Jim, his very good sport wife, Jen, and their two schnauzers on his beautiful huge boat. Because the schnauzers are no good with flags, it will be a VHF start for the race. Now SURELY someone will volunteer to motor out with Jim and Jen and the little doggies?

email here: racechair@sfbaysss.org

Travieso
10-18-2018, 10:41 AM
It is the skippers choice to sail Sunday single or double. Some would argue single with less weight is an advantage. The single was added Sunday so skipper were not disqualified if they sailed back solo. Also RC must keep track of souls on board to USCG and single registration on Sunday stops any confusion on head count...

Hmm, I get the USCG concern. But my question is about scoring of the Regatta.

The SSI, says you can sail Vallejo2 either single or doublehanded: " A boat that normally sails doublehanded may sail
singlehanded in the doublehanded division for the Vallejo 2 race and one additional race."

For as long as I've been in the SSS I don't see anyone has been disqualified for racing the Vallejo2 singlehanded.

solosailor
10-18-2018, 11:48 AM
Also RC must keep track of souls on board to USCG and single registration on Sunday stops any confusion on head count...For an inside the bay race?

Lightspeed
10-18-2018, 06:25 PM
Ok guys, let’s peel the bandaid off this old issue and each make his case pro or con and then have a beer in Vallejo. Remember I am a RC “has been” and carry no weight going forward.

History for those who are not up to speed on this. When I became RC in 2016 at the first board meeting an issues was raised that complaints had been raise by doublehanded racers that singlehanded racers were starting to race in the doublehanded Div. The reality is we are becoming the Doublehanded Sailing Society.

A proposal was made that with extra ballast singlehanded could sail doublehanded. New to the issue I had no opinion and the motion passed. As you both know it did not work. However it did serve to show a brewing problem between single and double.

In 2017 I proposed we remove the ballast issue and allow a one race mulligan if your crew did not show but keep some kind of a cap on single in double. At that point the issue was raised that in the past we have always allowed single back in the V1-2. I then modified the proposal and which is now in the SI’s one single mulligan AND the V2.

So the way I understand the SI’s is a Regatta, V1 single V2 single OR double. All boats on Sunday scored as a “boat” only not single or double so no split, points or awards between single or double. Sat points and Sunday point together wins the Regatta. I like dark beer...

Travieso
10-18-2018, 06:52 PM
I think the SSI is clear. I am just confused about the option for entry. I have the same historical understanding as Lightspeed I think any DH arguing that they are at a disadvantage from a sh entry hasn’t sailed their boat sh. But we can take that discussion to the bar.

Philpott
10-18-2018, 07:28 PM
I see your little zoom zoom speedboat all ready to go at E Dock in Richmond, Mr "has been" RC. I just cleaned DM's bottom with my super new brush. Using our secret weapon drifter and just a bit of wind we plan to do some damage. So keep an eye on your rear view mirror. (hehehe)

Lightspeed
10-18-2018, 08:40 PM
Dan, I will buy the first round! Maybe we need to have Ray tweek the Jibeset signup page format or SI wording. The bottom line is I think we all want as many races as possible and on an even playing field...

Daydreamer
10-18-2018, 10:59 PM
I think the SSI is clear. I am just confused about the option for entry. I have the same historical understanding as Lightspeed I think any DH arguing that they are at a disadvantage from a sh entry hasn’t sailed their boat sh. But we can take that discussion to the bar.

Just want to know how many people to look for in case a boat goes AWOL.

Travieso
10-19-2018, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the clarification on the message sent through jibeset. All clear now!!

Travieso
10-22-2018, 10:15 AM
big thanks to the Race Committee!!

skatzman
10-31-2018, 11:16 AM
When are the awards ceremony for the Vallejo 1-2?

Gamayun
10-31-2018, 01:48 PM
When are the awards ceremony for the Vallejo 1-2?

Nov 7 (next Wednesday) at 7:30 at OYC. Season awards, too.

Philpott
11-06-2018, 06:40 PM
SSS Annual Membership Meeting and Vallejo 1-2 Awards

Tomorrow evening, Wednesday November 7, 2018 the Singlehanded Sailing Society will present awards for its 2018 Vallejo 1-2 Race. This will also be the annual SSS Membership meeting. The name of our 2019-2020 commodore will be announced, the 2019 Race Schedule will be revealed and the Singlehanded Sailing Society Season’s Champions will be named. Please join us at 7:30 pm at the Oakland Yacht Club.