PDA

View Full Version : SSS Offshore Lifeline Requirements???

Oceanslogic
02-25-2019, 09:45 AM
Going over Safety Equipment Requirements for SSS specific Offshore racing this year....What is the SSS stance on uncoated stainless vs. HMPE line with proper chafe sleeves? Anyone know why US sailing reversed their allowance of HMPE? I guess I understand the reversal relating to a fully crewed situation where the lifelines are loaded and unloaded repeatedly....If the chafe sleeves are not done correctly there could be an issue there....But from a shorthanded perspective? Whats our stance? Thanks!

solosailor
02-25-2019, 10:44 AM
We go by NCORC which is:

Lifelines may be either uncoated stainless steel wire or high molecular weight polyethylene (HMPE) line with spliced terminations or terminals specifically intended for the purpose. A multipart-lashing segment not to exceed 4" per end termination for the purpose of attaching lifelines to pulpits is allowed. Lifelines shall be taut (see appendix for requirements). When HMPE is used, the load-bearing portion (core) shall meet or exceed minimum diameter requirements. HMPE lifelines should be carefully inspected at least twice per year. *NCORC change, US Sailing does not allow HMPE.

My experience with synthetic lifelines has been great. I have no chafe sleeves (although I've had that done on a few boats). Lashing ends replaced but the lifelines themselves are like 7 years old. No sign of wear at the pass through. Lots of crewed and shorthanded sailing on them. Next time I'd size them up one just for comfort.

Oceanslogic
02-25-2019, 11:24 AM
Perfect! Thanks for the clarification!