PDA

View Full Version : Round the Rocks 2019

Philpott
03-26-2019, 06:33 PM
Registration is open on Jibeset here: https://www.jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T008165961

Gamayun
03-28-2019, 07:44 PM
If anyone takes pictures, we're trying a new thing to post them one the SHTP web page. If we can post it, please send me the link at webmaster (sfbaysss.org).

Daydreamer
04-07-2019, 10:07 PM
1054 max ebb at the gate.
Pretty heavily reinforced by the runoff.

Jonathan Gutoff
04-11-2019, 08:29 PM
I talked to Tim the harbormaster at Richmond Yacht Club and he said there should be room for some boats at the docks after the race. The Big Dinghy is on Saturday also so watch out for kids and adults racing in Potrero Reach and using the dock near the hoist. If your so inclined head up to the club for a post race post-mortem. Tim's number is
(510) 234-6959. Or VHF 16 to hail.

BobJ
04-14-2019, 11:19 AM
Brief recap: The folks at the office were not pleased when told I was going racing yesterday - TS

Despite the RC's prediction of 2 knots at start time, we had good breeze! I got a great start (almost too great) and had a nice ebb-induced lift up to the tip of Alcatraz. Others reported some bizarre current at the corner - the island's mooring chains must have been loose.

Expecting the same ebb-powered lift up to Harding, I tacked close to the island with high hopes. Suddenly the rig went slack. The jib on its foil was flopping around and I started looking for a place to duck. The new Harken double-acting hydraulic backstay had lost pressure and gone slack. Loose knob? I checked it and started pumping, to no avail. Boats started passing me. I jury-rigged some Spectra around the end fittings and got enough tension back in the rig to roll up the jib, then considered my options. More boats passed me.

Not wanting to withdraw and go home, I took another look at my jury rig and tightened it again. The wind was easing. More boats passed me. Against my better judgement I hoisted the socked J/105 runner I just bought from Joe Barry. That did not go well, as some of you probably observed.

So I sailed very slowly against the ebb up to The Brothers, seeing blistering SOG of 1-3 knots. It was painful. Sometimes WOW with the pole and sometimes not, while trying to sail up the shoal to Red Rock to stay out of the deep water. Once around 'da bros, I kept the main oversheeted for headstay tension and was able to get back down Bay.

So I made it around the course, with the reward of a beer with a bunch of other racers at the club afterwards. Our RC Chair and his wife tried to convince me that Mexico is a great place to go cruising. I wonder what that means.

This morning I texted my boss, who replied "No, you don't need to come in today." I wonder what that means.

Philpott
04-14-2019, 03:29 PM
Others reported some bizarre current at the corner - the island's mooring chains must have been loose.

That current was weird. Like the island was a spider web and we the flies ("Come on over thissaway! You'll like it!"). Lots of boats there at the same time. Went from sailing sideways just west of Alcatraz to a flat swirling at its south end, then we all got spat out the westerly side into bigger wind again and rolling waves. Fun, though.

AlanH
04-14-2019, 08:30 PM
It's been a long time since I was THAT slow in a race. The boat is 6 months overdue for a haulout and I can NOT figure out the Pelagic.

Also the new rudder goes hard over just as fast as the old one did. Let go of it. WHAM...it's gone. I think it may have to do with the inherent nature of the boat, a HUGE mainsail and tiny foretriangle. I did a huge spin-out right at Alcatraz, scared me to death...I thought I was going to hit it.

Anyway, that was my ugliest race in a while... I did get some pictures, though....will post.

brianb
04-15-2019, 08:30 PM
Hey Alan,

Email me. Lets take your boat and tune up the AP. Can upgrade the SW. Isn't your boat in the S Bay ?

Brian

brianb
04-15-2019, 08:35 PM
The boat was 20 seconds from a nice start when the jib sheet came off the. That led to an over early and moving away from the line while getting under control. Three more starts went past before she was clear of the line. Nice day for a sail however. Great weather, winds, and the return trip to the south Bay was filled with 30+ knot winds. Quick run down the Bay in the big flood.

I got to watch Bob J. tune up his kite sock while running through Raccoon St. Nice finish on his new boat.

Brian

BobJ
04-15-2019, 11:51 PM
I was tuning up my repertoire of expletives. Perhaps it was just as well - I told the guys on Old School that had the spinnaker filled (instead of wrapped) and if we'd had enough breeze, I might have dropped the rig by trying to fly a spinnaker without a backstay.

AlanH
04-16-2019, 12:38 PM
Hey Alan,

Email me. Lets take your boat and tune up the AP. Can upgrade the SW. Isn't your boat in the S Bay ?

Brian

Yeah, I'm at Coyote point. I need to re-do the switch. I'll message you when I get that put back together right.

It was weird. I tried setting it up after rounding Harding and getting closer to Racoon Strait and it was all over the place...chitter-chitter...wouldn't hold a course. Well, I'm not setting a spinnaker without the autopilot working, so I kind of wrote off any sort of decent placing at that point.

But then past Red Rock, it steered just fine...at one set point which happened to be a big red buoy....for a half an hour, on a deep reach. And then again, later, steered just great, and the course adjusted with the Port/Starboard buttons, on a beam reach heading down to the Richmond Channel for about 20-25 minutes. Go figure.

AlanH
04-17-2019, 03:06 PM
OK, I took a MESS of pictures. They've been resized down to about 1 mbyte each, here goes!!

AlanH
04-17-2019, 03:07 PM

I'll stop at that for now, but I have about 20 more. Let me know if these bring your browser to a screeching halt.

AlanH
04-18-2019, 12:12 PM

AlanH
04-18-2019, 12:18 PM

AlanH
04-18-2019, 12:30 PM

AlanH
04-18-2019, 01:18 PM

Two, almost the same, but I spent a LOT of time looking at "Slainte" during the race!

AlanH
04-18-2019, 01:45 PM

AlanH
04-18-2019, 02:09 PM

AlanH
04-18-2019, 02:35 PM

AlanH
04-18-2019, 02:59 PM
Five more....I might have to wait until tomorrow!

Philpott
04-18-2019, 05:25 PM
The boat was 20 seconds from a nice start when the jib sheet came off the. That led to an over early and moving away from the line while getting under control. Three more starts went past before she was clear of the line.

Brian

I heard “red sky, over early” on the radio and laughed out loud. Boschma is back and introducing chaos theory again, and where it belongs: On The Water. Welcome back, Brian!

AlanH
04-19-2019, 12:17 PM
Couple more...

AlanH
04-19-2019, 12:19 PM

AND THAT'S IT.

If anybody wants high res versions of the above, I have them.

Alan

Wylieguy
04-25-2019, 10:07 AM
This is changing the topic from photos (very nice!) to protests (not so very nice!). I see two SSS boats have been tossed out of the Round the Rocks. Since the SSS stopped constituting its own Protest Committee and relied on the local USSA Judges, things have gotten "interesting." Several years ago I was involved in the Corinthian Race smash up. The case was turned over to the judges - that's sort of like skipping the California Superior Court and sending the case directly to the Supreme Court. On the scheduled date, which i begged be changed, I was in Madison, Wisc. where I'd accompanied a close friend with Parkinsons Disease so he could visit his only brother who was dying from brain cancer. So, I spent almost 5 hours on my cell phone in a motel room very late at night (Wisc. time) participating in a Protest Hearing where I couldn't see diagrams, read statements, etc. On top of all that, the Judges decided to use this case as a "teaching exercise" so there were a group of wanna be Judges present. Much of the time was spent "teaching" the students. There were errors on several statements that I tried to correct over the phone, but often I couldn't be heard over the "teaching" that was going on. Long story short I was tossed out. Okay, I really don't give a flying .Sh.... for that. It was just a sailboat race. But I still think it was unfair and a breech of Protest Committee standards that SSS felt it necessary to rush forward and not delay until I was back in the Bay Area. I could hear the discussion between the sitting Judge and the students; there was a lot of discussion about the"metal" fitting on the end of my boom almost "snapping" a backstay. I tried over and over to break in with the fact that a Wyliecat's clew fitting is fiberglass, not metal. How could fiberglass "break" stainless cable? I don't think I wasn't successful in being heard over the phone. And then of course there were the frequent breaks when the connection was lost and I had to dial up and get back on line, not knowing what had been said in the meantime. A big F.....ing mess!!!!
So, my serious advice to SSS folks is that unless there's a collision with serious enough damage to create an insurance claim (and I know USSA Judes decisions aren't supposed to be used in insurance claims, but they are) I'd take a pass on protesting. If it's a bruised ego, take a pass. If you have to crash jibe, take a pass. If you have to ease the sheet to take a stern, take a pass. Don't get involved in SSS Protests!!! You're not likely to win. There's nothing USSA Judges like to do more than sit around discussing arcane interpretations of the RRS. Go out, race, have fun, forgive. Pat Broderick