PDA

View Full Version : New Registrations

SSSForumAdmin
10-03-2008, 10:02 PM
We have been absolutely hammered by "fake" registrations over the past two weeks, to the point that I wasn't able to manually delete them. I'm afraid I had to resort to some drastic measures, and so anyone who had applied for forum membership prior to September 6th, and who hadn't gotten confirmation of their membership was zapped.:eek:

I'm sorry, but it would have taken me literally hours and hours to get through a manual sort of the users awaiting confirmation. :mad: There were 180 users who gave incorrect answers to the "sailing question". But unfortunately there's no way to delete them en-masse. So I did what I could.

Once that drastic measure was done, the obvious "baddies" were down to 29 and I just blasted them manually.

I will open up the forum to new applications in a couple of weeks. It's pretty slow right now, so I don't think we're being too nasty to anybody.

Your interim Admin

Alan H (again)

SSSForumAdmin
10-03-2008, 10:32 PM
I am also manually approving about 40 apparently valid applications which came in after September 6th 2008. So if you are reading this forum, applied for a forum membership after September 3rd, and haven't been able to post, try again.

I will be out of town next week, but will be back around the 13th to help.

Alan

Bleah, I've been at this for three hours and I've got stuff I have to do tomorrow...I'm sorry, I got through about 20 of them.

AlanH
10-24-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm now turning over Forum Admin to your new SSS Webmaster, Matthew Beall. Good luck, Matt!

This means that I won't be checking Administrator messages any more, nor will I be approving new members, or doing any other administrative tasks. It's Matt's baby!

It's been a good five years, playing forum wonk, but it's time to pass the torch on.

cheers :)

Alan

SSSForumAdmin
10-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks to Alan for all the setup on this forum. I've been able to upgrade to the latest version fairly easily and now we have a better means of keeping the new registrations to people actually interested in joining the forum.

Thanks Again,

Matt