PDA

View Full Version : totally off topic: Highland Games

AlanH
10-15-2008, 04:09 PM
I went down to Ventura last weekend and threw at the Highland Games down there. I went to try for some PR's (got one) and because they heave the sheaf (basically a 16 pound burlap bag full of hay) in So. Cal but we don't do it up here.

With my PR in the light hammer at Ben Lomond, my PR in the light weight for distance at Ventura, and my sheaf points, I finished the season in the top 20 Masters 50-54 Age group in North America.

About 140 guys age 50-54 competed in any Games (and had scores recorded) in North America this year. Of those, about 80-some-odd competed in three Games or more (which means they get ranked). I'm ranked #20.

I'm kind of happy about that.

Here's that PR in the light (16 lb.) Hammer
Video: https://cmgm.stanford.edu/~ahebert/BenLomondHammer_83ft.wmv

and a caber (almost 18 feet long and 90 pounds) that I didn't *quite* turn...
Video: http://cmgm.stanford.edu/~ahebert/BenLomond_caber_noturn.wmv

Those videos are from the Loch Lomond Games, in Ben Lomond two weeks ago. BTW, getting into the top 20 gets you an automatic invitation to the Masters worlds in Edinburgh, Scotland in July 2009....not that they pay your way or anything. I'd love to go, but it's not likely.

Alchera
10-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Very cool. I'm impressed!

-Mark

AlanH
10-17-2008, 09:15 AM
If you get a security certificate error, you can just add an exception and view it anyway, if you want. This is our general server at work, it's our workhorse and we're not going to do anything bad to your computer.

This needs to get fixed, it's been going on for 18 months, but I'll save you the rant.

blighbaum
10-18-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm also very impressed! Everyone I've showed the video to is also impressed. I wish I could do that! If I could, I would even put on a kilt to do it! But, sadly, if I tried to do it, an ambulance would need to be nearby. "Gut-busting" is an overused term, but I think it applies well to caber tossing.

Today I picked up a new belt, and for the first time am proudly wearing the Belt Buckle! Feral is still on the hard in Marina Del Rey, and has not yet been recommisssioned. A long story of little delays, which I hope will soon come to a successful conclusion.

- Tom Kirschbaum, Feral