PDA

View Full Version : Preparations for the LongPac

Philpott
06-13-2019, 09:34 AM
Tom Boussie has loaned me his never used storm sail. It is so clean and crispy. Not easy to attach. Easy to raise because it's very tiny.

It got several comments on E Dock: "Love the color!", "What the hell?" and "Hardly seems worth the time, can't you just roll in your jib?"

I was careful not to step on it or drop it in the water, and I hope my crew doesn't have to go up there in a gale. hehehe.

BobJ
06-13-2019, 10:37 AM
From Psychology Today:

"So what does the color mean?

Black: People who choose black as their favorite color are often artistic and sensitive. While these people aren't introverts, they are careful with the details of their lives and do not share easily with others.

White: People who like white are often organized and logical and don't have a great deal of clutter in their lives.

Red: Those who love red live life to the fullest and are tenacious and determined in their endeavors.

Blue: If blue is your favorite color you love harmony, are reliable, sensitive and always make an effort to think of others. You like to keep things clean and tidy and feel that stability is the most important aspect in life.

Green: Those who love the color green are often affectionate, loyal and frank. Green lovers are also aware of what others think of them and consider their reputation very important.

Yellow: You enjoy learning and sharing your knowledge with others. Finding happiness comes easy to you and others would compare you to sunshine.

Purple: You are artistic and unique. You have a great respect for people but at times can be arrogant."

Nothing about fluorescent orange...

Philpott
06-13-2019, 10:56 AM
Other than the obvious "HELP ME! HELP ME!" I am relieved not to be psychoanalyzed by forum readers. Remember, it does not belong to me, it belongs to Tom. And it had never been taken out of its bag. Hmmmm.

jamottep
06-13-2019, 05:18 PM
I think one reason to not use the roller furling sail during a a Gale is to avoid the case of the furling line coming undone.

Philpott
06-13-2019, 10:49 PM
I think one reason to not use the roller furling sail during a a Gale is to avoid the case of the furling line coming undone.

But Monsieur, surely this will not happen? Again? :-)

Philpott
06-14-2019, 07:27 PM
In preparation for the LongPac Dura Mater senses the stress of preparation. Unwittingly she has become the source of great trepidation. Why? Because of all these emails from the authorities. Such involved planning, such tech expertise is expected. Yikes. If Bob didn't know enough to take some device out of a box, how will I figure out how to program the InReach, the Epirb, etc. And the raft! I can barely lift the smallest raft. It's 80 lbs. for crying out loud. And then there's that little black dress for DM, Bob's old sail. That's heavy, too. Why, my head is just spinning. And then! Then I receive an email from my Tactician, asking how I intend to gather weather data offshore. I didn't know that I was supposed to do that! My cabin has been a refuge. But I sense a change in the metaphorical weather.

Here is the calm before the storm.

jamottep
06-14-2019, 09:20 PM
We can do it Webb Chiles' style. I'll have my barometer watch and voilà, weather forecasting!

Gamayun
06-14-2019, 09:25 PM
And here is what your boat will look like after the storm has passed...

Gamayun
06-14-2019, 09:28 PM
You know I'm just (sorta) kidding, right? The best thing about the LongPac is that you will find where all the leaks are, except that means everything will have to get aired out when you get back. I just think it's great you're pushing your sailing adventures. I'm rooting for you and Pj to win the DH race!!

BobJ
06-14-2019, 09:51 PM
The dialog on E-dock today:
"How are you?"
"Frustrated."
"You too? My reefing line is too short."
"My batteries are flat."

Philpott
06-15-2019, 06:47 AM
We can do it Webb Chiles' style. I'll have my barometer watch and voilà, weather forecasting!

hahaha! Thank you! You are the best.

tiger beetle
06-15-2019, 08:38 AM
Nothing about fluorescent orange...

Orange is *FAST*!

There's a reason all the Open 60's use orange paint on their keels and rudders and foils. Wouldn't want the storm jib to clash with the keel, eh?

- rob

Philpott
06-17-2019, 11:46 AM
Orange is *FAST*! There's a reason all the Open 60's use orange paint on their keels and rudders and foils. Wouldn't want the storm jib to clash with the keel, eh? - rob

Hi, Rob! So glad you could join us. Okay, I'll look around for orange paint. I don't know if you have watched the R2AK, but everyone on Shut up and Drive wore orange, and they had orange bicycle tape on their handlebars, too. Such things are de rigeuer on Envolee. Is this because the Skipper is conscious of the coolness factor? Not at all. She don't care about that stuff. The orange color is a nod to Pumpkin, her kitty waiting at home with Sergei. Maybe Nathalie will post a photo of the real kitties.

Greg Ashby texted me out of the blue: Would I like to borrow an extra 50 watt solar panel?

Um. Dunno. Let me check with my tactician.
Monsieur Jamotte's response? "It needs a controller, wiring to the battery, best with a large fuse, a place to put it, a way to solidly fix it there ..."

Um. Okay again.

After our last sail Monsieur sat me down in the cockpit and we "de-briefed". hahaha. Yeah, a de-briefing on DM.

He teaches sailing down in Redwood Shores so I guess they are very thorough down there. He also works down the peninsula, which explains some other things. The clothes, for sure, although no Patagonia vest.

Check, check, check. Called my offsite boat boy, Max Dickey, who ordered up a controller via his Amazon Prime. Should arrive tomorrow.

Greg and I crawled around in his boat and he showed me how the wires are led to the battery on the already inspected Nightmare. Then, just for good measure Chris Case invited me aboard FUGU and we crawled around inside her. Same wires, different controller.

So, what? Am I the only one preparing for this thing?

BobJ
06-17-2019, 12:21 PM
So, what? Am I the only one preparing for this thing?

Got the InReach working and the Gale Sail rigged, fully cleaned and vacuumed the cabin, tested the big main reef. Ordering some 3.5 gal water jugs today (S! has 40 gallons but it's all in one tank). I count 13 items still on the list to do.

SailingNat
06-17-2019, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=Philpott;23439]Hi, Rob! So glad you could join us. Okay, I'll look around for orange paint. I don't know if you have watched the R2AK, but everyone on Shut up and Drive wore orange, and they had orange bicycle tape on their handlebars, too. Such things are de rigeuer on Envolee. Is this because the Skipper is conscious of the coolness factor? Not at all. She don't care about that stuff. The orange color is a nod to Pumpkin, her kitty waiting at home with Sergei. Maybe Nathalie will post a photo of the real kitties.

We also had orange water bottles...and orange fairing and a bunch more things orange.
- well orange is the fastest color so that's definitely a big part of it...and and Go Giants. I think that about sums it up.
The orange and black in the AstroCat logo is because of Pumpkin and Hershel - it is AstroCat because Envolée means taking flight so the kitty ends up in the stars. Really fast, so rocket ship style.

Kitties attached as requested

Philpott
06-17-2019, 01:17 PM
I'm thinking that others may have the same dumb questions as do I, but that they will mumble to each other instead of asking, so I will ask my questions here and save them the trouble. Or maybe they just can't type as fast as they can think. Personally I type much faster than I think. So here goes. I have borrowed a cute little In-Reach SE.

"During the race, trackers should be set to ping once per hour to tracking@sfbaysss.org"
On the Tracking page, is that "Moving interval"? (probably, huh?) Extended tracking is set to off. I can't figure out what to do from the manual. Should I change that to ON?

I'll have many more questions, so stay tuned.

Philpott
06-17-2019, 01:23 PM
My borrowed In-Reach manual advises me that I can have weather forecasts delivered to me. This would please my Tactician. Is this legal? No mention in the LongPac Communication Plan. Can't tell. My InReach is blinking. Does this mean the Russians are interfering with me? I'll admit it! I just ate two oatmeal cookies and there are more downstairs.

I turned it off but the red blinking light continues. What does this mean and how can I make it stop?

BobJ
06-17-2019, 01:58 PM
Oh, I missed that part about pinging the e-mail addy - I thought it was all done through Jibeset. I better read the directions again, comm plan, etc.

On mine the blinking red light means it can't see the satellites. But when I turn it off it stops blinking, so that's different.

And I'm biting my tongue to avoid saying that we got along fine for years without these damn things... oops, didn't bite hard enuf...

Daydreamer
06-17-2019, 02:24 PM
On the inReach click settings, then tracking,, then send interval and set to 1 hour.

Since I have a charge port onboard I use a 10 minute ping rate, to give a detailed track.

When you click tracking, and click start, it gives you the option to "share".
Enter the email address, tracking@sfbaysss.org
Add anyone else you want to follow you and then click send.

If it is your own tracker, a lot of entries can be made at home.
Entering info using the cursor and tiny screen of the inReach is tedious, but can be done.
Though not fun if prone to seasickness?!?

Also, during the check in period, a separate message needs to be sent to the race committee, tracking@sfbaysss.org
Access from the messages screen.

To power off, push and hold the "check" the screen will change and give you the "power off " option, select.
The red light will stop blinking.

Philpott
06-17-2019, 02:46 PM
Great. Thanks, Greg. I'm pairing with my chart plotter (yes, I have one of those) and Garmin will allow me to download a map section. Among the options of NOAA offshore charts are North Pacific Ocean Eastern part, and/or West Coast of North America Mexican Border. I already have these on my tablet. Do I need to download these through Garmin? If so, which one? And Can I please just throw all these contraptions out the window and go sailing instead? My eyes are tired.

AlanH
06-17-2019, 02:58 PM
We will have two trackers onboard....George's DeLorme and my SPOT. The SPOT was on my boat when I bought it. The guy I bought it from said it didn't work. I opened it up last week and one of the batter leads was bent. It wouldn't touch the end of the battery so the battery circuit was incomplete. So I bent it back. Son of a gun, now I have a sat tracker.

What say, race committee? Do you want dual position pings?

Philpott
06-17-2019, 03:00 PM
Okay, I've got this down. I've charted my course and it is 217.94 nm from my house here in N Oakland.

No worries, Philippe! We're all set. Race Committee, can you see us now?

BobJ
06-18-2019, 09:44 AM
On the inReach click settings, then tracking...

Greg, thanks for the help. There's not much for a manual and even on Garmin's web pages, the FAQ and Help info is skimpy. I downloaded their Earthmate app into my iPhone and the units are talking to each other via Bluetooth, but the screens and functions are different in the app so it's pretty confusing.

One question: I changed the content of the preset messages on Garmin's site and it says to sync my devices. I don't see how to request syncing on the InReach. I connected (via Iridium) but the preset messages in the InReach didn't change to the new content.

Daydreamer
06-18-2019, 11:27 AM
Greg, thanks for the help. There's not much for a manual and even on Garmin's web pages, the FAQ and Help info is skimpy. I downloaded their Earthmate app into my iPhone and the units are talking to each other via Bluetooth, but the screens and functions are different in the app so it's pretty confusing.

One question: I changed the content of the preset messages on Garmin's site and it says to sync my devices. I don't see how to request syncing on the InReach. I connected (via Iridium) but the preset messages in the InReach didn't change to the new content.

Yes, the app, inReach and website all look and function differently and have differing capabilities.

I have done the same thing, adding a preset message that says "checking in, everything is ok"
I entered this on the in reach.garmin web page under the messages tab.
After that I performed "sync" with the inreach plugged into my desktop computer.
Those preset messages don't appear available within the earthmate app on my phone.
I access them on the inreach preset icon.

Mostly, I use the app on the phone to send text messages home and to friends, It is much easier to type on than the inReach.
Syncing the phone just seems to update the app, maybe contact as well.

As I've written this I've double checked the actions on my devices and found myself looking at messages to my wife and friends at home during the SHTP return.
Brings back a lot of memories and emotions of what I saw and experienced and shared along the way. Whew!

AlanH
06-18-2019, 03:23 PM
SPOT tales. I would rather have spent the $$ for the Delorme, as it uses Iridium, whereas SPOT uses Globalstar. However, there was a SPOT Gen2 on the Wildcat when I bought her. Flash forward to last week. I've never turned the thing on, it's sat on my dresser for four years. So I go buy some lithium AAA batteries. Stinker is, you can't test the unit without activating the basic 1 year contract. grrr....so I shell out the $$ for the 1 -Year contract. This morning I spent 4 hours mucking with it to get it to work. It won't sent GPS-less "HELP" messages, nor will the GPS receiver pull down a signal. I chat on tech support...conclusion, it's dead.

BUT

for $30 plus the $18 If you break it we replace if for free insurance they will send me a band-new sample of the current Gen3 SPOT. Well, this is cool. That's pretty good customer service, the Gen 2 unit was over ten years old. So there will be a SPOT aboard Skye, and aboard the Wildcat for future coastal ramblings.

However, if I were starting all over again...I'd rather have the DeLorme, 'cause the SPOT doesn't quite make it all the way to Hawaii. Oh, well.

WBChristie
06-18-2019, 10:40 PM
A suggestion, might be redundant: make the ping rate the same across the fleet - and start the ping rate at a prearranged time before the start. That way the tracker makes more sense for those following along...all update at the same time, at the same rate.

oregonian
06-19-2019, 10:51 PM
Just a note to AlanH: my Spot Gen 2 has made it twice on round trips to Hawaii with uninterrupted service. Good luck with yours.

Philpott
06-20-2019, 10:08 AM
Safety Equipment Personal 3.1.1 "If the life jacket is inflatable, it shall be regularly checked for air retention." Looked at my life jacket canister and it was RED! Drove to West Marine/Richmond and Dave looked dubious.

"How old is that?"

"Ummmm. Dunno."

He inflated it as it lay on the counter and then helped me strap it 'round my neck so I could get the whole experience.

Whoooh! That's tight! And, more importantly, I realized that I would have a difficult time reaching for my PLB, tucked into the side pocket as it is. So that was good timing. The life jacket is inflated in the back of my car now. Dave told me to leave it inflated overnight, he'll install the new cartridge later today. Have you checked your life jacket recently?

Now I'm off to see why that bilge pump keeps blowing its fuse. Re-wired it yesterday. Huh. Must be something. Invitation extended to anyone who would like to help with that. Bring your anemone or whatever that doohickey is to test wires. Mine died.

BobJ
06-20-2019, 11:34 AM
Seeing this, I tossed my anemone in the car but I won't be at the boat until 1815 (then back again tomorrow). Does the pump have a screen on it and is the impeller clear? BTW, this is mostly why I thoroughly clean the cabin before going to sea - bits of stuff end up in the bilge and then in the pump. Vanity is only the minor part of it!

DaveH
06-20-2019, 12:26 PM
speaking of "how old is that?" ... i presume the (now) required crotch straps are attached but not pictured?
DH

Philpott
06-20-2019, 01:37 PM
speaking of "how old is that?" ... i presume the (now) required crotch straps are attached but not pictured?DH

Dave is a gentleman. He hesitated when I asked him to clip me in. Once the jacket inflates it is difficult to reach down there. It felt rude to ask him to adjust my crotch straps.

DaveH
06-20-2019, 02:18 PM
well there you are... its a very nice picture!

BobJ
06-20-2019, 03:34 PM
Indeed. I only smile like that when my crotch straps are too tight.

Wylieguy
06-20-2019, 03:36 PM
Jackie, Does your PFD have a hood? If you are in the water, you're pretty immobile. Not only are the front airbags tight and difficult to reach around, the wind and wave action will turn you so your face is into the wind and those waves. People drown because their face is toward the waves and they can't breath. A hood helps protect you from that. If you don't have a hood, you can buy one to hook on. If you have a PLB or handheld AIS radio attached to you or your vest, make sure the lanyards are long enough for you to use the device. If they are too short you'll have to risk cutting the lanyard and chance losing the PLB or radio. Anything in a foul weather jacket pocket under the vest is almost inaccessible.

While the vest is inflated jump in a swimming pool and discover just how helpless you are. I did it alongside the boat in the berth (with friends on the dock to help me ) and during my SOS training, both were sobering experiences. I was essentially helpless and the water was calm.

BobJ
06-20-2019, 04:32 PM
The LongPac SER doesn't allow this but SSS/OYRA (NCORC) does: You can have a non-inflatable if it has 22# of buoyancy. I have a separate harness so I'm thinking about testing it with one of these:

https://www.coleman.com/deluxe-merchant-mate-ii-life-vest/I600-IND.html

After SAS training and things I've read, I don't trust the inflatables to (1) always inflate or (2) enable me to maneuver in the water to reach my etriers and re-board. I also like having a bit of padding when it's rough. Maybe one of these with a light windbreaker wouldn't be too uncomfortable.

Intermission
06-20-2019, 07:53 PM

After SAS training and things I've read, I don't trust the inflatables to (1) always inflate or (2) enable me to maneuver in the water to reach my etriers and re-board. I also like having a bit of padding when it's rough. Maybe one of these with a light windbreaker wouldn't be too uncomfortable.

We have no inflatable life jackets aboard. I don't trust them either; just another thing to go wrong or expire. I can wear mine under or over foulies, hoodies, or over both.

solosailor
06-20-2019, 08:21 PM
What type of jackets do you where? What about tethers?

Jonathan Gutoff
06-20-2019, 09:04 PM
I'm looking at the Salus Coastal PFD with built in harness.
http://www.salusmarine.com/?products=coastal
It's rated at 69 newtons which is too low for the NCORC limit of 100 newtons for a foam PFD.
I'll order one soon but need to find out if they will ship to the USA. They only have Canadian dealers.

Philpott
06-20-2019, 09:07 PM
The LongPac SER doesn't allow this but SSS/OYRA (NCORC) does: You can have a non-inflatable if it has 22# of buoyancy. I have a separate harness so I'm thinking about testing it with one of these:

Steve Katzman has one of those. It’s faded and ripped and twenty years old but he defends it fiercely. It also has lots of pockets for snacks and radio etc

AlanH
06-20-2019, 10:37 PM
Just a note to AlanH: my Spot Gen 2 has made it twice on round trips to Hawaii with uninterrupted service. Good luck with yours.

Really? No kiddin'? This is good to know!

AlanH
06-20-2019, 10:45 PM
I wore my old...almost ten year old WM auto inflate about a year and a half ago while sailing the skerry. The boat went over while I was hoisting the main and the inflatable...inflated. Boy, did it keep my head up. That thing FLOATED...

but it was ~impossible~ to get over the side of the tiny little bulwarks of the skerry and back into the boat.

I think inflatable lifejackets are great if you're sailing in a crew with 4+ people and you are depending on them to get you back on the boat. I'm entirely not convinced that they are so great if you're on your own, but I would sure like to see more head support than most of the foam lifejackets provide.

Gamayun
06-20-2019, 11:15 PM
A charter company I worked for required all their captains/crew to check their PFDs (if they were the inflatable kind) before each voyage. Seems like a good thing for everyone. I was sailing with a friend the other day and asked her about her PFD. She looked and her cartridge gauge was also in the red. There are "replace by" dates on these cartridges. When they expire, that's a good time to jump in and see what happens. It is eye-opening (or grin-inducing, depending on how tight those crotch straps are). Which reminds me, I've offered to be BAMA's MOB dummy....errr, MOB victim.....errr, let's just say, their real person in the water for BAMA folks to practice their drills on. I have it in my calendar, but don't remember the date. It might be fun to get out on a boat and watch the chaos ensue. Errr....maybe not.

Anyway, check your tethers, too. You all know that manufacturers recommend 5-year replacement intervals, right? Have you read the literature on your tether. What does it say? How "weathered" is yours? Does the stitching all look good? You know how many people just "trust" their life saving equipment and have never actually inspected it?

Daydreamer
06-21-2019, 08:01 AM
I have WM offshore inflatable and a Spinlock deckvest.
Both get serviced annually along with my tether.
The Deckvest has better crotch straps. Less binding.

I used the WM vest during my SAS pool session.
Yes , the pressure around my neck was surprising. Also, those few seconds it takes to inflate are really long!
Swimming backstroke worked best, and boarding a raft proved difficult at best.
It helped immensely to use the manual inflation tube to let a bit of pressure out of the bladder allowing better movement of my head and arms.

I trust my equipment because I service it!

Philpott
06-21-2019, 10:14 AM
Tom Patterson offered advice at a distance, he won't let me try that old trick again. Reminded me to follow the wires. What did they look like when I cut them? Maybe something was stuck inside which would cause the fuse to blow. So I did. Took it apart,

checked the little plastic impeller, cleaned it up and re-wired it. Blew another fuse.

Cooper, the whaler boss at RYC, bumped up against my stern in a RIB with a HUGE engine. He needs an adult along in order to take it out of the harbor. Did I want to come out for a ride? Hmmmm. Boat ride or bilge filth? Jumped on the boat, raced around Potrero Reach, over by KKMI, saw the Sugar Shack, went real fast, returned real fast.

Reconsidered the issues before me, drove to West Marine and bought a new automatic bilge pump for $85. I don't remember my previous bilge pump costing that much in .... let's see, 2013.

Brought it back to Dura Mater, wired it up and whoopeee!

Twas the fresh air and a ride with a fifteen year old that offered me the ability to think clearly.

WBChristie
06-21-2019, 05:52 PM
Tom Patterson offered advice at a distance, he won't let me try that old trick again. Reminded me to follow the wires. What did they look like when I cut them? Maybe something was stuck inside which would cause the fuse to blow. So I did. Took it apart,

checked the little plastic impeller, cleaned it up and re-wired it. Blew another fuse.

Cooper, the whaler boss at RYC, bumped up against my stern in a RIB with a HUGE engine. He needs an adult along in order to take it out of the harbor. Did I want to come out for a ride? Hmmmm. Boat ride or bilge filth? Jumped on the boat, raced around Potrero Reach, over by KKMI, saw the Sugar Shack, went real fast, returned real fast.

Reconsidered the issues before me, drove to West Marine and bought a new automatic bilge pump for $85. I don't remember my previous bilge pump costing that much in .... let's see, 2013.

Brought it back to Dura Mater, wired it up and whoopeee!

Twas the fresh air and a ride with a fifteen year old that offered me the ability to think clearly.
What was the amp rating of the fuse that kept blowing?

Philpott
06-21-2019, 06:01 PM
What was the amp rating of the fuse that kept blowing?

Gamayun
06-21-2019, 07:30 PM
Probably a bad motor especially at that age. Those things just don't last long. I think I'm on my second in 6 years. You got your money's worth....about $12 per year amortized, right?

saildoc75
06-22-2019, 12:17 PM
Probably a bad motor especially at that age. Those things just don't last long. I think I'm on my second in 6 years. You got your money's worth....about $12 per year amortized, right?

This thread has been great, as I've been following along getting all kinds of great info from all y'all! This seems to be in-lieu of the seminar we never had :(. Question:

What do folks do for cooking or making coffee on board? Being a newbie, I'm very reticent to use the propane stove with an open flame.. have been looking at options for a simple rice cooker or hot plate to boil water for coffee and noodles, etc.. Any experience with such things that might plug into the 12V system with impacting the capacity too brutally? I've wired a 1000 amp inverter directly to the batter, and have the usual 12V lighter plug on the panel.. Have installed 2 group 27 91 amp Northstar batteries.. Also saw a slick Coleman 1 burner butane camping single stovetop thingy which looks pretty safe... uses small butane cartridges for fuel.. found a mini rice cooker (400 amps) on amazon that might be ok? .. Advice??
Michael
Mulan
Bene 10R

AntsUiga
06-22-2019, 02:21 PM
Hi Michael,

An energy audit is needed to understand how much energy you plan to use and how much storage and recharging there is available to meet the demand. The insights are revealing.

I have no experience with electric based cooking. However, I have used the camping (one use) propane cylinders. My big caution with that type of unit is they have no shutoff valve. I had problems with marine environment adversely impacting shutoff valve so the valve leaked when disconnected from burner.

My preference would be to have independent systems so there is no concern that cooking will impact the ability to navigate, operate running lights, autopilot, etc that would get you sailing safely.

Ants

jamottep
06-22-2019, 09:59 PM
JetBoil...

saildoc75
06-22-2019, 10:42 PM
thanks for this! :)

Daydreamer
06-23-2019, 08:24 AM
I've been happy with my jetboil.
Used it to Kauai and back.
Added the gimbal and the cup locks in place.
The medium sized canister lasted the trip and then some.

tiger beetle
06-23-2019, 03:00 PM

Those are exactly the same two Type 1 life jackets I carry on Beetle, they are specifically for abandoning ship into the life raft; nothing to go wrong with them, nothing to inflate, you can puncture them and they still float. They are also good for going aloft offshore when you're slamming into the mast as the boat rolls - the padding around the chest is excellent. Not inexpensive and being bulky they are difficult to stow in a convenient-to-access place, but very good.

On my singlehanded stuff I don't wear a life jacket but always have my harness and tether and clip in to the jack lines. As Jim Kellam (Haulback) said, "The only reason to wear a life jacket is to have something to strap the pistol to."

- rob

Gamayun
06-23-2019, 11:52 PM
Michael, if all you're eating is a boiled egg or oatmeal for breakfast and instant meals for dinner, Jetboil is the way to go. If you have an ice box and good friends, pre-made stews can be eaten cold anytime, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tell them, though, that fish stew will get tossed overboard pretty quickly.... especially after dealing with those rough first days ;)

Philpott
06-24-2019, 12:20 PM
Michael, if all you're eating is a boiled egg or oatmeal for breakfast and instant meals for dinner, Jetboil is the way to go. If you have an ice box and good friends, pre-made stews can be eaten cold anytime, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tell them, though, that fish stew will get tossed overboard pretty quickly.... especially after dealing with those rough first days ;)

Ah, Michael, the devil is in the details. Notice that Gamayun qualifies her advice with the caveat "... if you have an ice box and good friends..." One is able to purchase an ice box at the local chandlery. The good friends part is something much harder to gain. Over time I am confident that my fellow singlehanders may learn to accept others into their hearts, if not onto their boats. And now maybe even you.

AlanH
06-25-2019, 03:25 PM
Mountain House freeze-dried dinners. I live on 'em when Joan and I are backpacking and George has a backlog of 'em. He's got some sort of gimballed like a sea-swing. The bimballed JetBoil would be The Ticket for solo, though.

Though on the LongPac I'm more likely to eat-and-go than anything else. Thus...a couple of sandwiches in the cooler, some fruit and a handful of power bars or clones of power bars.

And coffee. MUST have coffee.

Philpott
06-27-2019, 06:38 PM
On Windy.com there are three types of forecasting. It has been suggested that NAM, ECMWF and GFS are sometimes more accurate according to the area. Which of these three seems best for LongPac territory? Or is that oversimplification?

Daydreamer
06-27-2019, 09:46 PM
During the tracker session at the skippers meeting last night I realized I needed to make an adjustment to my "preset" messages.
Namely add the tracking@sfbaysss.org address to my list of recipients.
On the Garmin page under the "messages" tab there are three "preset messages"
I use the edit button to change the text of the message and add email addresses.
Click done.
Sync the device to my computer to update the device.
Now tracking should receive my SOL message.

Daydreamer
06-27-2019, 09:58 PM
On Windy.com there are three types of forecasting. It has been suggested that NAM, ECMWF and GFS are sometimes more accurate according to the area. Which of these three seems best for LongPac territory? Or is that oversimplification?

I like simple.
Master weather router I am not!
When there are multiple sources I like to compare them and find the ones that agree.
I interpret that as more stable/reliable.

AlanH
06-28-2019, 02:46 PM
Aaaand, after chatting with the SPOT people 3x, the tracker is finally working. I've successfully sent 4 check-in messages to myself and Joan. "tracking@sfbaysss.org" is now on the list, as is racecommittee@sfbay.org, for my "oh no!!!" messages.

solosailor
06-28-2019, 04:00 PM
I had entered "racechair@sfbaysss.org" as my separate non-tracking messages address.

tiger beetle
06-28-2019, 11:06 PM

Hi Jackie -

I find the US Navy COAMPS model to be very good for the bay area - if it is being run for the bay area. Check this with SailDocs.

Stan Honey recommended the HRRR model (also available via SailDocs) as being excellent; I have not used this model, but if Stan likes it then you should check it out. I'm going to explore how it does for condition forecasts on my trip down the coast Seattle -> San Francisco in July.

The GFS model does fine for synoptic winds, not so well for inshore stuff - e.g., GFS will show you where it thinks the synoptic offshore breeze will be but does not do a good job at guestimating what is happening inside the Farallone islands).

ECMWF isn't generally available, as obtaining the model output is rather expensive. I can't comment on it as I've not used it (though I believe that WINDY can display this model and the GFS model output).

For near-shore used my favorites remain WFax and the local NWS Monterey forecasts - all of which are available via SailDocs as email requests (and you can listen to Perfect Paul via VHF when close to shore).

And don't forget to look at your barometer/barograph and stick your head out the companion way once in a while - that's the real weather. And do calibrate your barometer/barograph. I have a barograph (Mintaka Duo) and it's much more useful (and accurate) than the Weems & Plath aneroid barometer I had for many years.

- rob

Philpott
06-29-2019, 09:11 AM
062319 On Sunday, after failing my inspection by Tom Boussie (no hacksaw, knife, handheld compass, charts) DM and I sailed w Philippe out of RYC. After a gentle spinnaker run from Angel Island toward Red Rock, where we ran out of wind, we went through Raccoon Straits along with dozens of other sailboats. It was a gorgeous day. Sunshine. Gentle wind. Then, as we came out the gate side the wind slammed us.

According to Sailflow the wind was a steady 25 with gusts above that. Philippe suggested we practice gybing over and over. Huh? It was a steady 25. But he is the tactician, so we did. Since I was at the tiller and we weren’t reefed, there were a couple of roundups. Not the weed killing kind, the kind that reminded me that I had a spare tiller in the vberth. Once we got into the lee of Angel Island Philippe looked around for something else to do. His two scones were gone, the ham and swiss on a sweet roll eaten, and I had squished the third scone by falling on it. So there was nothing left to eat.

062719 There was a gap between the tiller head and its shaft, so I asked my hotshot racing friend if I could have a few more shims. He said, “Sure, the sooner the better.” He is preparing for the LongPac, too, so that was very generous of him to make time for me. More cookies, of course. So I made another trip up to the nosebleed neighborhood in the Montclair Hills. Once my ears adjusted I found him outside his workshop, guard cat at the ready. Katherine was there and so was a friend of Greg’s from middle school, another Jackie. We’re everywhere.

I helped make three new shims out of some high tech material; whiteboard and something else. In other words, Greg made ‘em and I swiped at the workbench with a hand brush, threw away trash, the low-skill stuff. Drove to DM, installed them and … Bob’s your uncle! Now my tiller doesn’t jiggle.

AlanH
06-29-2019, 11:03 PM
I had entered "racechair@sfbaysss.org" as my separate non-tracking messages address.

Oops..thanks for getting me to doublecheck.

BobJ
06-30-2019, 11:08 AM
Do you believe Sail Flow (yuk!) or NWS and Passage Weather, which look better? What are you watching and what are you seeing?

Also, what does the assembled multitude recommend for AIS alarm settings? I can set min. CPA distance, CPA time and target's SOG.

Philpott
06-30-2019, 06:17 PM
Hey, Bob. How far out can you hear those vessel traffic 1/2 hour transmissions?

solosailor
06-30-2019, 08:12 PM
I look at it them all. Don't forget windy..... easy toggle between GFS and EC. Don't have any "paid" models going. The all don't look like fun for the Azzura, hope it settles down in the next few days.

BobJ
06-30-2019, 08:31 PM
Hey, Bob. How far out can you hear those vessel traffic 1/2 hour transmissions?

According to Tommy Chong, "far out man."

I don't remember. The offshore traffic area is a 38 nm radius out from Mt. Tam, so I'd guess they expect to talk to vessels on Ch. 12 about 50 miles out.

Wylieguy
06-30-2019, 09:54 PM

I'm sitting this one out, but it does look messy. Jackie, the Coast Guard guarantees 21 nm out, but since the antenna's on Mt Tam Bob is probably right at between 40 - 50 nm. I routinely hear Monterey at the Farallones, but I don't know that they'd hear me. I hope everyone is prepared and will be safe. Pat B.

Submarino
07-01-2019, 08:35 AM
These are good shake down conditions for new boats/sailors shooting for SHTP! If you don't get all the way out to the U-turn at address 126-40, there is still valuable experience & information to be gained. GOOD LUCK, BE SAFE, reef early!!

saildoc75
07-01-2019, 09:20 AM
:)

saildoc75
07-01-2019, 09:35 AM
weather.gov
National Weather Service

NWS Marine Forecast
Go to the NOAA Homepage
NWS Homepage
Local weather forecast by "City, St" or zip code
Cell Phone Weather/Marine Page URL: cell.weather.gov
PDA Weather/Marine Page URL: mobile.weather.gov

Hazardous marine condition(s):
Small Craft Advisory

PZZ500-020330-
812 AM PDT Mon Jul 1 2019

.Synopsis for the Central California Coast and Bays Including
the Monterey Bay...Greater Farallones...and Cordell Bank
National Marine Sanctuaries...

Moderate to locally gusty northwesterly winds will continue across
the coastal waters today. Expect winds to increase tonight and
remain elevated through at least mid week. These winds will
generate steep fresh swell at 6 to 8 seconds that will dominate
sea conditions. Steep fresh swell may create hazardous conditions
for smaller vessels.

$$

PZZ545-020330-
Coastal Waters from Point Reyes to Pigeon Point California out to
10 nm-
812 AM PDT Mon Jul 1 2019

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT

TODAY
NW winds 15 to 25 kt with gusts up to 30 kt. Wind waves
4 to 5 ft. NW swell 3 to 5 ft at 7 seconds.

TONIGHT
NW winds 15 to 25 kt with gusts up to 35 kt. Wind
waves 5 to 6 ft. NW swell 4 to 6 ft at 7 seconds.

TUE
NW winds 20 to 30 kt with gusts up to 35 kt. Wind waves
6 to 7 ft. NW swell 5 to 7 ft at 7 seconds.

TUE NIGHT
NW winds 20 to 30 kt with gusts up to 35 kt. Wind
waves 6 to 7 ft. NW swell 5 to 7 ft at 7 seconds.

WED
6 to 7 ft. W swell 5 to 7 ft at 7 seconds.

WED NIGHT
NW winds 15 to 25 kt with gusts up to 30 kt. Wind
waves 5 to 6 ft. W swell 5 to 7 ft at 7 seconds.

INDEPENDENCE DAY
NW winds 10 to 15 kt. Wind waves around 3 ft.
W swell 5 to 7 ft.

FRI
W winds 10 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. W swell 6 to
8 ft.

..SAN FRANCISCO BAR/FOURFATHOM BANK FORECAST

IN THE DEEP WATER CHANNEL...Southwest swell 1 to 3 ft with a
dominant period of 7 seconds.

ACROSS THE BAR...Southwest seas 2 to 4 ft with a dominant period
of 7 seconds. Maximum ebb current of 1.3 kt at 04:19 PM Monday and
4.0 kt at 04:01 AM Tuesday.

$$

Philpott
07-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Aaaahhh. Well, that looks scary. Maybe I'll start with everybody else (because that's the fun part), then anchor in Aquatic Park and wait for the next day, when it seems the weather will have moderated a bit. Because my middle name is Prudence. Is this kosher? I can't tell from the Sailing Instructions.

BobJ
07-01-2019, 10:28 AM
Will it really be only 10-15 TWS at 126 40? One can hope. (GFS per Passage Weather.)

And a southerly swell under NW wind waves - there must be something happening down south.

DaveH
07-01-2019, 11:42 AM
Aaaahhh. Well, that looks scary. Maybe I'll start with everybody else (because that's the fun part), then anchor in Aquatic Park and wait for the next day, when it seems the weather will have moderated a bit. Because my middle name is Prudence. Is this kosher? I can't tell from the Sailing Instructions.

As long as you anchor out and don't row in for latte's and brioche, I'd say probably...
of course you'd need to sail into & out of the harbor, On & Off the anchor etc...
Sausalito sounds easier all around and has better departure scenarios.

DH

Philpott
07-01-2019, 12:05 PM
Thanks, David. So, no dinner at Poggio's. Check. So near and yet so far.

saildoc75
07-01-2019, 01:45 PM
But... You could always order a pizza from Waypoint in Tiburon, they deliver right to your boat! haha

solosailor
07-01-2019, 03:02 PM
Pizza is definately outside assistance !

Philpott
07-01-2019, 03:20 PM
I’m following Ruben Gabriel’s advice, ordering a thin crust spinach, onion and mushroom thin crust from Extreme pizza on College Ave to go Tuesday night. I’ll ask them to cut it up into slices, put each slice into a ziplock bag, then eat at my leisure. Or in between leaning over the leeward side of my boat. The pain and the ecstasy.

AlanH
07-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Thanks for this, Bob. I"d just looked at the NWS pages. Pretty Windy, but not horrible, but a 7 foot swell is impressive. Surfs up!

AlanH
07-01-2019, 05:09 PM
It used to be that the LongPac and TransPac rules allowed you to anchor anywhere, and still continue the race as long as you didn't go ashore. So in theory, you COULD do that.

tiger beetle
07-01-2019, 05:11 PM
Will it really be only 10-15 TWS at 126 40? One can hope. (GFS per Passage Weather.)

And a southerly swell under NW wind waves - there must be something happening down south.

That would be called Hurricane Barbara.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/?epac

- rob

Dazzler
07-01-2019, 09:28 PM
From my perspective in the comfort of home... If the goal is to just complete the qualifier, looking at the forecasts, one strategy might be to consider going to Drake’s Bay on Wednesday, anchor for the night then head out in the early AM. The actual sea state offshore will be another deciding factor.

Be safe.
Tom

solosailor
07-02-2019, 02:25 PM
Outsider is going to sit this one out.

tiger beetle
07-02-2019, 02:56 PM
The weather forecasts make the course look lumpy and fast and not much pleasure sailing. As a qualifier conditions look good to test boats and skippers in solid offshore conditions without being boat-breaking.

Worst SSS TransPac conditions I have seen were solid 35 knot NW breeze for two days out the Gate, hard reaching in good size lumpy seas with the cockpit shipping a wave about once an hour - I found all the leaks around the companionway in short order. Twice a cresting wave struck the transom and spun Big Beetle through head-to-wind, which is an interesting feeling while hiding down below and the entire boat slowls down, leans the wrong way as the jib backs, the autopilot lets the boat spin entirely around in a slow circle, the jib shakes the rig like crazy, and suddenly it fills and we're off again headed towards Hawaii. The second time it happened I didn't even bother to go up into the cockpit it was so soppy wet. Mike Jefferson came up with his cry of 'Up Periscope' when he would pop open the companionway hatch to poke his head out to see if there was anything out there, and then he would promptly 'Down Periscope' and slam the hatch shut as a wave crest shot over the boat. It was a miserable two days - but fast.

- rob

Gamayun
07-02-2019, 08:21 PM
Those conditions don't look too bad from where I'm sitting. We had consistent 28-32 knots for 36 hours or so of the 2017 LongPac. It seems like good ole NorCal boat testing conditions. As to VHF, when a few of us were at the turnaround point, we were making small talk on Ch. 16 when CG (LA/Long Beach, I think) interrupted us and said to move our chit chat somewhere else. Ooops. They hear everything!

tiger beetle
07-02-2019, 08:43 PM
As to VHF, when a few of us were at the turnaround point, we were making small talk on Ch. 16 when CG (LA/Long Beach, I think) interrupted us and said to move our chit chat somewhere else. Ooops. They hear everything!

If you're off San Francisco and hearing (or being heard by) USCG Long Beach then you're experiencing an interesting tropospheric ducting phenomena for VHF frequencies. On occasion you can communicate from SF to Hawaii that way.

- rob

jamottep
07-05-2019, 11:31 AM

Here's a link to a short description of the major models:

https://windy.app/blog/what-is-a-weather-forecast-model-guide-on-forecast-models-all-around-the-world.html

brianb
07-05-2019, 01:13 PM
Those conditions don't look too bad from where I'm sitting. We had consistent 28-32 knots for 36 hours or so of the 2017 LongPac. It seems like good ole NorCal boat testing conditions. As to VHF, when a few of us were at the turnaround point, we were making small talk on Ch. 16 when CG (LA/Long Beach, I think) interrupted us and said to move our chit chat somewhere else. Ooops. They hear everything!

Bouy s and models are showing conditions that have, and will again see winds above 40 for the early boats. A Monday return could be pleasent.

Gamayun
07-05-2019, 02:36 PM
That's big! I didn't see those projections until after the race had started. Huge respect to all the racers who went forth this year knowing those conditions ahead of them as well as those who decided to call it early or not go at all. Those are some of the hardest decisions to make.

WBChristie
07-05-2019, 02:36 PM
PZZ571-060445-
Waters from Point Reyes to Pigeon Point 10-60 NM-
838 AM PDT Fri Jul 5 2019

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING

TODAY
NW winds 10 to 20 kt, increasing to 15 to 25 kt by
midday. Wind waves 4 to 6 ft. S swell 3 to 4 ft at 15 seconds.

TONIGHT
NW winds 15 to 25 kt with gusts up to 35 kt. Wind
waves 7 to 8 ft. S swell 4 to 5 ft at 16 seconds.

SAT
NW winds 15 to 25 kt with gusts up to 35 kt. Wind waves
7 to 8 ft. S swell around 4 ft at 15 seconds.

SAT NIGHT
NW winds 20 to 30 kt with gusts up to 35 kt. Wind
waves 8 to 9 ft. S swell 3 to 4 ft at 14 seconds.

SUN
7 to 8 ft. S swell 2 to 3 ft at 20 seconds.

SUN NIGHT
NW winds 15 to 25 kt with gusts up to 30 kt. Wind
waves 6 to 7 ft. S swell 2 to 3 ft at 20 seconds.

MON
NW winds 10 to 15 kt. Wind waves 3 to 4 ft. SW swell 2 to
3 ft.

TUE
NW winds 5 to 10 kt. Wind waves 3 to 4 ft. SW swell 2 to
3 ft.

Gamayun
07-05-2019, 02:38 PM
If you're off San Francisco and hearing (or being heard by) USCG Long Beach then you're experiencing an interesting tropospheric ducting phenomena for VHF frequencies. On occasion you can communicate from SF to Hawaii that way.

- rob

I had no idea! So my anomalous data point of one can't always be a given as future expectation. I guess it would be wise to remember this ;)