PDA

View Full Version : Single Handed TransPacific Race 2020 - Planning - Volunteers Sought

brianb
07-30-2019, 08:46 AM
Hello All,

Tentative dates for the race are a start date on or near July 3. I am making arrangements for the "Yellow" beach house once again and need to secure a reservation now.

The house will be open for business starting July 10th, late in the day through the 25th. We can tweak the start date / time a bit as needed. Likely the start would be on Friday, July 3 to avoid a weekend conflict at the Corinthian YC.

Volunteers for event are welcome to comment here or contact me directly. Our past team has been great but I fear some may want a break from the work load.

Areas where help is needed:

Pre race event planning. Hawaii and Calif.
Inspection coordinator.
Inspectors.
Communications coordinator (tracker setup and assignment).
USCG interface. Publish float plan and gain permit from USCG.
Day of race PRO and start team.
Weather services coordinator.
Finish line management - two people.
Crash boat coordinator / driver
Finish line set up.
Hawaii ship to shore communications organization.
Press liaison and web page coordination.

Regards,

Brian

AZ Sailor
07-30-2019, 02:03 PM
I'm happy to play inspector for So Cal entries, should there be any.

solosailor
07-30-2019, 05:32 PM
Happy to help with inspection. What is a "Weather services coordinator"?

dolfinbill
08-03-2019, 07:23 PM
Brian - My first thought is Friday is not a good day to start the race, or any ocean passage. There are some serious superstitions involved. Be that as it may, Patty and I plan to be in Hanalei the week that the boats arrive and are available to help the SSS in any way we can to welcome the racers. So put us on your list anywhere that is most beneficial.

Bill Meanley
Dolfin, Crealock 37

brianb
08-05-2019, 10:11 AM
Great Lee. I will keep you posted.

Brian

brianb
08-05-2019, 10:14 AM
A weather services coordinator is someone who would work with a commercial weather service that may , or may not, volunteer to provide a prediction for the event prior to the start and provide a daily update to that prediction. This would typically be placed on the forum and the FB page for public consumption. WRI has provided these services in the past at no cost to the club. Someone needs to manage the data flow to the web pages.

BB

brianb
08-05-2019, 10:18 AM
Friday is a day of superstitions ? News to me. Friday isn't sacred, but Saturday is a problem. The YC harbor fills up with Classic Yachts starting on Friday, typically, but since the club members have made room for the CLassic wood boats the week prior that gives us room to stage the race boats 24 hours in advance of the start. We have to leave by noon on Friday, hence the probable timing of the start. The other consideration is the tides. We often will adjust the time to make that close to ideal.

BB

brianb
08-05-2019, 10:19 AM
Bill,

Nice to hear you will be there. I will count you in on arrival assistance. I bet you can handle a 15' skiff with inflated tubes on the side ? You, or Patty, might be asked to do some boat greeting during the crunch period.

Regards,

BB

DaveH
08-05-2019, 11:00 AM
Friday is a day of superstitions ? News to me. Friday isn't sacred, but Saturday is a problem. The YC harbor fills up with Classic Yachts starting on Friday, typically, but since the club members have made room for the CLassic wood boats the week prior that gives us room to stage the race boats 24 hours in advance of the start. We have to leave by noon on Friday, hence the probable timing of the start. The other consideration is the tides. We often will adjust the time to make that close to ideal.

BB
Starting Voyages on a Friday really is is a "thing", as the kids say.
I Understand the politics with Corinthian, and I'm glad to see the wooden boat festival is evidently growing.
Heretofore (for at least the past 4 editions), the Wooden Boats would arrive Saturday afternoon, and we would need to be out of the harbor at a seemingly earlier hour each time.
So now, evidently, Corinthian is carving out another day for them.

As much as I understand the balancing act, losing the Saturday start sucks.
apart from disrupting SHTP traditions, and superstitions aside, Friday is also very poor for local spouses, friends & SSS supporters.

just my .02.
DH

dolfinbill
08-11-2019, 10:33 AM
Nice to hear you will be there. I will count you in on arrival assistance. I bet you can handle a 15' skiff with inflated tubes on the side ? You, or Patty, might be asked to do some boat greeting during the crunch period.

Guess we better pack an alarm clock for those 3am arrivals. Happy to help any way we can.

Bill Meanley
Dolfin, Crealock 37

saildoc75
08-30-2019, 10:07 AM
I'm happy to help with the CYC timing.. Paul, who were in in contact with at the Corinthian? I'll see if things might be more 'flexible'.
m

saildoc75
08-30-2019, 10:08 AM
Sorry... i mean Brian, not Paul! :)

brianb
08-30-2019, 04:40 PM
Hello Saildoc and all:

We have a tentative start date of Saturday, June 27th. Boats to arrive the 26th. CYC is very accommodating. The tides will be strongly ebbing at 10 am and going slack about 12 30. Start time is TBD, but a 10 am start would be ideal for the tides.

Regards,

Brian

AZ Sailor
08-30-2019, 04:49 PM
Hello Saildoc and all:

We have a tentative start date of Saturday, June 27th. Boats to arrive the 26th. CYC is very accommodating. The tides will be strongly ebbing at 10 am and going slack about 12 30. Start time is TBD, but a 10 am start would be ideal for the tides.

Regards,

Brian

Fantastic! Great job, Brian & Co.

saildoc75
08-31-2019, 08:29 AM
That's great Brian.. and since June 26th is my birthday maybe its a sign, nudging me towards being on the line.. :)

Michael Chammout
Mulan
Beneteau 10R

Daydreamer
10-19-2019, 02:09 PM
Brian,
I am available to help in whatever capacity.
Let me know what I can do!

Greg
2sail dot gca at gmail dot com

brianb
10-21-2019, 10:58 AM
Sure hope to see you at the start Michael.

brianb
10-21-2019, 10:58 AM
Hi Greg,

ARe you going to be in Hawaii ? Are you doing the race ?

Thanks for the help offer.

Regards,

Brian

Philpott
02-24-2020, 10:36 AM
s/v Pamela will not be volunteering her cockpit for tea time, nor her dinghy for pickup and delivery. This from Dennis Maggard, who was of such great help in Hanalei Bay in 2018:

I’m busy back in the workaday world, but s/v Pamela is getting new cruising sails for my next odyssey to British Columbia — perhaps June of 2021. I’ve thought many times of slipping my lines and single handing to Hanelei ahead of the 2020 fleet, to meet my good friends there, but feel I should remain at my current post for a bit longer. Meanwhile, I long to be on the sea once more … as if it were a secret that I alone am aware.

Say hi to all my dear friends

Chad Peddy
04-04-2020, 08:10 AM
Chad Peddy is able to inspect in SF Bay and surrounding area. I also travel to Reno and SoCal if needed

Hello All,

Tentative dates for the race are a start date on or near July 3. I am making arrangements for the "Yellow" beach house once again and need to secure a reservation now.

The house will be open for business starting July 10th, late in the day through the 25th. We can tweak the start date / time a bit as needed. Likely the start would be on Friday, July 3 to avoid a weekend conflict at the Corinthian YC.

Volunteers for event are welcome to comment here or contact me directly. Our past team has been great but I fear some may want a break from the work load.

Areas where help is needed:

Pre race event planning. Hawaii and Calif.
Inspection coordinator.
Inspectors.
Communications coordinator (tracker setup and assignment).
USCG interface. Publish float plan and gain permit from USCG.
Day of race PRO and start team.
Weather services coordinator.
Finish line management - two people.
Crash boat coordinator / driver
Finish line set up.
Hawaii ship to shore communications organization.
Press liaison and web page coordination.

Regards,

Brian