PDA

View Full Version : Seminars

Philpott
09-04-2019, 08:40 PM
Saw Ryan Nelson today at Berkeley Marine Center. He agreed to come do his very fine rigging presentation again.

Philpott
10-09-2019, 10:22 AM
Putting the seminars together today: the dates for next year's SSS races are almost firmed up and will be posted soon. Very soon. Maybe even sooner than that. Mebee not.

Questions for those who intend to do the 2020 Singlehanded Transpacific Race to Hanalei Bay:

1. Where would you prefer to attend the seminars? Would you complain if they continue to be at Oakland Yacht Club? If so, do you have a constructive alternative (i.e., are you willing to host an evening at your club? Because we are a nimble, if chaotic club and willing to consider options).

2. Attached is a seminar poster from 2018. Please peruse it and consider which are the crucial topics for you. You are invited to make suggestions but, again, please be constructive (willing to do something yourself).

3. Wednesday evenings are traditional. People remember that Wednesday evenings are when seminars have typically been offered. Wednesdays are not the only option.

Okay, now is the time for you to Commit. In public. You can always change your mind. Circumstances change. DO YOU PLAN TO RACE TO KAUAI IN 2020? Please post here.

solosailor
10-09-2019, 12:26 PM
1. Where would you prefer to attend the seminars?Anywhere in Alameda..... on Wednesdays.

Philpott
10-09-2019, 01:24 PM
Anywhere in Alameda..... on Wednesdays.

So old school.

DaveH
10-09-2019, 02:26 PM
Yes, Hedgehog and i plan to be racing in 2020...
My life is built around Alameda in that I live in west Oaktown and work on the island, so well, yeah, I'm biased. and Old School.
Wednesday's are good by me...
DH

JimQuanci
10-12-2019, 11:57 AM
Wednesday's work. So the Buffalo is going..
Where do I send the entry check - and how much?

Working thru my prep punch list... being a repeat offender feel pretty lucky... relatively short list. Just bought a cheap lightweight inflatable kayak for ferrying me, fuel and return crew back and forth in Hanalei. Debating upgrading my emergency power generator... seeing nice small more powerful and lighter weight generators in home depot.

Philpott
10-12-2019, 04:10 PM
So the Buffalo is going.

JimQuanci
10-14-2019, 11:18 PM
If anyone wants a walk thru weather routing (with and without routing software like Expedition) and the sort, happy to give a talk.

jamottep
10-16-2019, 02:32 PM
If anyone wants a walk thru weather routing (with and without routing software like Expedition) and the sort, happy to give a talk.

I wouldn't mind ... Happy to share what I used ...

Philpott
10-18-2019, 11:01 AM
Here is a heads up for the 2020 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race seminar series, additional topics and dates to follow once the 2020 YRA Master Calendar comes out.

David Herrigel (s/v Hedgehog) and Bob Johnston (s/v Surprise!) have agreed to share responsibilities for the first seminar, the introduction to the RACE. David won the 2016 race and Bob has done it twice, served as Race Chair after that.

They will bring and discuss Race Required equipment and anything else they thought useful during their races. If you have questions ahead of time, post here so they might be able to address your particular concerns on that night. Post anything here, anyway. This will be YOUR race.

The Introduction To The Race seminar will be held in the Regatta Room of the Oakland Yacht Club in Alameda on Wednesday November 13, 2019 from 7:30-9:30 pm

And, just so you know, the next seminar after the Intro will be at the same place, on December 11, topic to be determined, probably Power requirements and discussion.

jyriv
10-18-2019, 10:48 PM
Will the seminars be recorded and posted somewhere for those who can't get to Alameda on a weekday? Thanks!

Philpott
10-23-2019, 11:55 AM
Will the seminars be recorded and posted somewhere for those who can't get to Alameda on a weekday? Thanks!

Whew! If you think it's hard to get there now, wait'll they start building that A's stadium @ Howard Terminal.

Yes, JYRIV, the seminars will be recorded and posted within a day or two afterward. If you want to call to ask questions, we'll post someone's phone number and hope that person keeps his/her phone on during the meeting. Please pm me ahead of time with your name/phone number so we won't ignore you as an "Unknown caller".

Philpott
10-23-2019, 12:08 PM
This seminar will also be at the Oakland Yacht Club @ 7:30pm

Chris Case s/v FUGU will discuss power requirements for the race and types of communications: how to power your lights, autopilots, radios, various gadgets, your big screen tv and refrigerator/freezer.

George Lythcott s/v TAZ! and Joe Balderamma s/v Archimedes, will discuss issues unique to leetle boats: Keeping yourself warm, dry and fed.

These fellas are all Race Veterans and strong, fine singlehanders. How do I persuade them to prepare coherent talks, drive to Alameda during rush hour and stand up in front of a crowded room full of people? I wait until they've had a few beers at the bar after the Vallejo One, then pounce!

NearMiss
11-03-2019, 10:57 PM
I am interested in the SHTP 2020 and planning on coming up to the first seminar. With the seminars on Wednesday my first question is pretty basic. I will have to fly up and won't be able to fly out until Thursday. Recommendation on a hotel for the night?

tiger beetle
11-04-2019, 04:10 PM
This seminar will also be at the Oakland Yacht Club @ 7:30pm

Chris Case s/v FUGU will discuss power requirements for the race and types of communications: how to power your lights, autopilots, radios, various gadgets, your big screen tv and refrigerator/freezer.

George Lythcott s/v TAZ! and Joe Balderamma s/v Archimedes, will discuss issues unique to leetle boats: Keeping yourself warm, dry and fed.

These fellas are all Race Veterans and strong, fine singlehanders. How do I persuade them to prepare coherent talks, drive to Alameda during rush hour and stand up in front of a crowded room full of people? I wait until they've had a few beers at the bar after the Vallejo One, then pounce!

Hi Jackie -

strikes me that the seminars are a little bit of the cart-before-the-horse. The SSS home page (https://www.sfbaysss.org/main/) has a link in the horizontal top menu to the cryptically-named 'SHTP 2020' page that has zero information. There is no reference to seminars, no reference to the race, no nothing. The SSS calendar does not mention such as a race.

It might be worthwhile to get organized and present a unified set of data to the world: the NOR, an explanation of what the race is, and a list of seminars.

Listing a random seminar in an 'un-official' SSS forum, while worthwhile, falls short of getting the word out about the race or the seminars. There is definitely room for improvement.

Perhaps this is a discussion for the SSS board and 2020 SSS TransPac race chair(s) and organizers, such that there can be published calendar, etc. going in to the race?

- rob/beetle

BobJ
11-04-2019, 04:59 PM
Yes Rob, you are addressing that to the wrong person.

tiger beetle
11-04-2019, 06:33 PM
Yes Rob, you are addressing that to the wrong person.

Hi Bob -

Whom would the correct person be?

- rob

dolfinbill
11-04-2019, 06:59 PM
I am interested in the SHTP 2020 and planning on coming up to the first seminar. With the seminars on Wednesday my first question is pretty basic. I will have to fly up and won't be able to fly out until Thursday. Recommendation on a hotel for the night?

The Marina Village Inn is right next door to the Oakland YC so is the most convenient - if rather modest.

Bill
Dolfin, Crealock 37

Philpott
11-04-2019, 08:36 PM
Additional seminar topics will be added to this poster once the YRA Master Calendar is published.

AlanH
11-05-2019, 03:42 PM
Hi Jackie -

strikes me that the seminars are a little bit of the cart-before-the-horse.

The SSS home page (https://www.sfbaysss.org/main/) has a link in the horizontal top menu to the cryptically-named 'SHTP 2020' page that has zero information.

There is no reference to seminars, no reference to the race, no nothing. The SSS calendar does not mention such as a race.

It might be worthwhile to get organized and present a unified set of data to the world: the NOR, an explanation of what the race is, and a list of seminars.

Listing a random seminar in an 'un-official' SSS forum, while worthwhile, falls short of getting the word out about the race or the seminars. There is definitely room for improvement.

Perhaps this is a discussion for the SSS board and 2020 SSS TransPac race chair(s) and organizers, such that there can be published calendar, etc. going in to the race?

- rob/beetle

I couldn't believe this, so I went and looked.

There is NOTHING there...nothing on the SSS Website about the 2020 SHTP. It's 7 months away.

AlanH
11-05-2019, 03:55 PM
Gentlemen, the 2020 SHTP is seven months away. There is NOTHING AT ALL about it on the SSS Website.

I'm not volunteering for the SSS Webmaster position but I can knock together a basic HTML page with some pretty pictures, race dates and a couple of links in a few hours and e-mail it to someone to put it up.

This is just WRONG.

Philpott
11-08-2019, 12:40 PM
2020 Transpac Seminars
Draft Calendar
Wednesdays except where noted

November 13 Welcome and Introduction to the idea of The Race
David Herrigel and Bob Johnston have agreed to share this seminar. They will bring in their equipment; encourage people to talk about themselves, their boats, why they’re doing the race

December 11 Chris Case: Power requirements for and types of communications: how to power your lights, autopilots, radios, various gadgets, your big screen tv and refrigerator/freezer. George Lythcott and Joe Balderamma: Small boat issues, Keeping yourself warm, dry and fed.

January 11/12 SATURDAY/SUNDAY: Emergency rudder race in Potrero Reach again; encourage people to come with or without their boats, bring their emergency rudders, talk about how they made them, whether they’ve tried them, encourage them to try them out or to sail with someone who is doing the race or will do. Arrangements have been made with Richmond Yacht Club to use their docks and end ties. People are encouraged to stay the night on their boats, eat breakfast at Louie’s next morning.

Questions? Ask away.

Philpott
11-11-2019, 11:51 AM

Print them off, send them to your sister in Wichita, your family and friends in the hinterlands. If someone can figure out a way to post the poster itself here, thank you!

Philpott
11-14-2019, 11:17 PM
https://vimeo.com/373287690

MarcoSolo
11-15-2019, 06:44 AM
https://vimeo.com/373287690

Thank you for this.

Philpott
11-15-2019, 01:26 PM
Thank you for this.

You are very welcome, MarcoSolo. Where are you and what is your boat? Oh, and what is your name?

MarcoSolo
11-16-2019, 08:20 AM
You are very welcome, MarcoSolo. Where are you and what is your boat? Oh, and what is your name?

High and dry in Wisconsin, ex Pegasus, Westsail 32, which I sailed from FL to AK in '05-'06. My name's Mark. I met Haulback in Hilo as he was finishing his circumnavigation and looking him up after that led me here.

I'm thinking about heading out alone again and prepping myself and a boat for the Transpac or the Shaka Challenge (family in Irvine) would be a good way to get my feet wet. Just exploring the logistics of putting it all together on the west coast without breaking the bank.

vilhauer
11-16-2019, 06:34 PM
Hello,

I was unable to attend Wednesday's meeting but am interested in the material. Was there a Powerpoint presentation or other handouts that could be shared?

Thank you in advance,

Tom

vilhauer
11-19-2019, 02:53 PM
Thank you for filming the first seminar, very helpful.

Philpott
11-19-2019, 03:18 PM
Thank you for filming the first seminar, very helpful.

You are most welcome, Tom.

vilhauer
11-19-2019, 04:48 PM
Is there a PDF distribution of the SER document specific to the TransPac to which Bob and Dave referred during the seminar?

I found this from USA sailing:

https://www.ussailing.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/US_SER_2018.0_Categories.pdf

But I am curious if there are other guidelines specific to the race (i.e. 21 gallons of water per person).

Thank you in advance.

Philpott
11-19-2019, 04:56 PM
Is there a PDF distribution of the SER document specific to the TransPac to which Bob and Dave referred during the seminar?

See here, Tom: https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=JACKY_T00254104&DOC=X0&TYP=pdf

These were distributed at the meeting. Brian Boschma, the Race Kahuna, said that these requirements will remain the same for 2020. Sorry if that detail was not captured in the video.The 2018 Race Documents will probably remain the same, with "2020" inserted at the top of each page :-)

Find here: https://www.jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T00254104

vilhauer
11-24-2019, 10:12 AM
Much appreciated.

Philpott
12-08-2019, 09:50 PM
Chris Case and FUGU at the start of the 2018 SHTP

This is an invitation and reminder to join us at the second SSS seminar in preparation for the SHTP. The topic is power requirements, to be presented by Chris Case, an engineer and SHTP veteran from 2018.

George Lythcott and Joe Balderamma, both Express 27 sailors and recent veterans of the SHTP, will discuss small boat issues: how to stay warm, fed and safe aboard your boat. The Seminar will be held at Oakland Yacht Club Wednesday night at 7:30 pm in the downstairs Regatta Room. We hope to see you there.

pfschmidt
12-11-2019, 06:56 PM
What will be the video link for tonight's seminar: https://vimeo.com/

Philpott
12-12-2019, 11:57 AM
Video of Chris himself upcoming. You gotta see him to believe him, but in the meantime:

file:///C:/Users/Philpott/Downloads/2020%20SHTP.Power.Seminar.sansvideo%20.pdf

Also video of George Lythcott and Brian Boschma. Not to be missed, but not quite ready.

See here, too, just a precursor to your own future enjoyment: https://vimeo.com/290597050

This from Brian Boschma: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UIGUUH1pN7tJxhpwcNpiLv0RVIbf1Hq8

NearMiss
12-12-2019, 05:07 PM
I am working on my sail plan for the SHTP. There have been some non-standard PHRF configurations mentioned at the seminars. What document modifies or controls the sails used in the SHTP?

BobJ
12-12-2019, 05:22 PM
The only mention of sail modifications is in the Race Rules and Conditions:

"One or more spinnaker poles or whisker poles may be used to pole out headsails. The length of the whisker poles may not exceed the LP of the largest rated headsail, and may not be used for setting the spinnaker. [This modifies RRS 50.2]"

Otherwise, sails used in the SHTP must comply with the boat's PHRF certificate. If the boat is rated with a one-design rating, its sails would also need to comply with the OD class rules.

What "non-standard PHRF configurations" are you hearing about?

solosailor
12-12-2019, 11:04 PM
Yes, non-standard would be twin headsails and poles..... both have been allowed by the SHTP as long as I can remember. "Twins" is the term that I've always heard.

NearMiss
12-13-2019, 03:17 PM
Mainly the use of two headsails. My recollection was that you are only allowed to have two head sails hoisted at the same time temporarily while changing from one jib to the other jib. I may be wrong on that point and not sure I could quickly find it. I saw the rule change on poles but have not seen anything on "twins", which makes me think there may be a SSS rule or document I have over looked.

solosailor
12-14-2019, 10:35 PM
Yes it is a rule change by the SSS:

c. In accordance with the purpose of these races, the following equipment and practices are allowed:
i. Autopilot and/or wind-powered self-steering gear. This modifies RRS 52.
ii. Twin headsails set on two poles for downwind sailing. This modifies RRS 50.2.

NearMiss
12-16-2019, 04:33 PM
Thanks solosailor,

I have been looking through all of the documents I can find online and I don't see where that rule change is. Could you post a link to it? I'm sure there is more information on other rules, etc in it.

Philpott
12-16-2019, 08:04 PM
Yes, the videos with Chris Case / Electronics and George Lythcott on Keeping Dry, warm and fed on a Small Boat are coming.

In the meantime, here is Brian on the Comm Plan: https://vimeo.com/379900586

View this in tandem on a separate screen: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UI...piLv0RVIbf1Hq8

Our High End Technical Department is unavailable.

Daydreamer
12-17-2019, 10:41 AM
Thanks solosailor,

I have been looking through all of the documents I can find online and I don't see where that rule change is. Could you post a link to it? I'm sure there is more information on other rules, etc in it.

First page of the Standing Sailing Instructions.
This is 2019 version, 2020 should be similar.
https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=JACKY_T00763568&DOC=nr&TYP=pdf

Philpott
12-19-2019, 11:35 PM
Video here: https://vimeo.com/380620769

Written/overhead materials here: file:///C:/Users/Philpott/Downloads/2020%20SHTP.Power.Seminar.sansvideo%20.pdf

Philpott
12-23-2019, 06:03 PM

BobJ
12-23-2019, 06:20 PM
I gather "emergency rudder" is like saying kleenex - it's a generic term for an emergency steering device.

To wit, if Surprise! is able to participate, she will be deploying the Kraken. This is not a misnomer. The last time I deployed the Kraken, it wrapped itself around my leg and tried to pull me overboard!

Philpott
12-24-2019, 11:41 AM
Find here George Lythcott, s/v TAZ! By turns charming, funny and always a wonderful point of reference:

https://vimeo.com/381276839

Philpott
12-24-2019, 12:08 PM
To wit, if Surprise! is able to participate, she will be deploying the Kraken. This is not a misnomer. The last time I deployed the Kraken, it wrapped itself around my leg and tried to pull me overboard!

Will you be hoisting a KRAKEN DEPLOYED flag? Are you prepared to detach quickly and lose your Kraken should a tanker come through the Reach? Of course you are welcome to test your survival skills, Johnston. There will be video of all types of silliness. Bring it on.

BobJ
12-24-2019, 01:09 PM

saildoc75
12-26-2019, 10:11 AM
Love it!! :)

solosailor
01-01-2020, 04:56 PM
I've got Mirthmaker the A35 to come and race as the Azzura's mast is in my driveway. I'll bring another few examples as well to share.

sleddog
01-02-2020, 10:16 AM
I've got Mirthmaker the A35 to come and race as the Azzura's mast is in my driveway. I'll bring another few examples as well to share.

Hey Greg,

Cool ER. Would a simple wood cross bar linking the tillers and fitted with a pin for an AP be possible? If so, you could continue racing SHTP with this rig, and not lose a mile. That is certainly a requirement I'd suggest and looks like you've solved.

solosailor
01-02-2020, 10:34 AM
This emergency rudder was built for crewed and doublehanded racing so an autopilot was not in the design brief. The Azzura and others I've built usually have a provision for autopilot use. Of course this could be adapted but this boat has a below deck quadrant autopilot so it would take a lot with an additional ram to make it happen above deck. It is certainly not just a "get you there" solution but the real factor in keeping the speed up is whether the main rudder cold be jettisoned completely or is it still in place, cocked off centerline, etc.

sleddog
01-02-2020, 11:15 AM
This emergency rudder was built for crewed and doublehanded racing so an autopilot was not in the design brief. The Azzura and others I've built usually have a provision for autopilot use. Of course this could be adapted but this boat has a below deck quadrant autopilot so it would take a lot with an additional ram to make it happen above deck. It is certainly not just a "get you there" solution but the real factor in keeping the speed up is whether the main rudder cold be jettisoned completely or is it still in place, cocked off centerline, etc.

If sailing solo and the main rudder is bent or compromised, etc., all the more reason to have a pounding plug and mallet to jettison the main rudder (after stopping boat and removing quadrant). Then you could use the ER and a cheapo AP and be off to the races with the ER.

If loss of the main rudder rips a hole in the underbody, ala OEX, then its time to wish you'd fitted a water tight bulkhead in front of the rudder.

With the current speed of small boats going 15-20 if you sneeze, and the size of the floating obstructions in the EPAC, this bulkhead is not an idea to be sniffed at. I saw a 6 foot diameter, 80 foot log two lengths to leeward on my last crossing. Doggies.

solosailor
01-02-2020, 02:17 PM
Yes, a rudder bulkhead is nice to have. Luckily for my piece of mind the Azzura has a 7ft forward watertight compartment.

Philpott
01-06-2020, 08:43 PM
If you plan to come to the On-The-Water Emergency Rudder Seminar at the Richmond Yacht Club this Saturday, January 11, that's terrific! If you are coming by landyacht, come a bit early to catch a ride on someone's boat. If you are sailing over, don't forget to call Tim the harbormaster. He is expecting 8-10 boats, and needs to plan where to put everyone. The details are in the NOR, which can be found here:

Post any questions here. See you Saturday.

vilhauer
01-06-2020, 09:45 PM
Hi Jackie et al. -

What is the estimated finish time for the 3.25mile race starting at noon? (What would be a good time to show up at the RYC to learn from participants if we aren't bringing our own boats to the race?)

Thank you in advance!

DonMartin
01-08-2020, 11:53 AM
Does anyone have a start time for the emergency rudder race at RYC?

DaveH
01-08-2020, 12:57 PM
From the "NOR" above (post #57):

STARTING TIMES AND SIGNALS
The first Warning signal will be at 11:55 am.
Thereafter, all classes will start at the following
intervals, no flags will be used.

to be less obtuse, High Noon for all classes.

DH

AlanH
01-08-2020, 08:55 PM

I hope you bring all of that, if for no other reason than for the earthshattering contrast between the strong, light stuff you build and the buffalo-built stuff I churn out.

Philpott
01-09-2020, 05:34 PM
Hi Jackie et al. - What is the estimated finish time for the 3.25mile race starting at noon? (What would be a good time to show up at the RYC to learn from participants if we aren't bringing our own boats to the race?) Thank you in advance!

Hi, Vilhauer
What is your first name? It'll be good to put names (or forum names, anyway) to faces on Saturday. Regarding finish times: I am sorry, but I just don't know the answer to that. We've only done this once before, in the lead up to the 2018 SHTP.

Only three boats participated back then, none of them finished and then it started sprinkling. After videotaping the (ahem) racers' efforts my driver and I wandered off, raised the spinnaker and followed that around the bay for awhile. First there was a strong ebb then the wind changed 360 degrees We doused the spinnaker once it started to rain. When we returned to the dock we wandered around for awhile looking for everybody else, and found 'em all squashed into Don Martin's Wileycat eating guacamole, doritos and Burger King two/$5 burgers (thank you, Bob).

I'd keep my eye on E Dock boats (FUGU, Surprise!) and/or the end of D Dock, as Sea Wisdom will probably be tied up to the end there. Bring good food or beer and we'll find YOU. Remember, doritos are not food. Welcome to the SSS.

BobJ
01-10-2020, 10:51 AM
Tom V, you are welcome to join us on Surprise! and help us tame the Kraken.

Forgive the obvious but layer up, bring a PFD (although I have extras) and as suggested above, you'll want your own food.

We'll push off at 1130 (slip E-75) and will hope to be back in time for the 3BF.

BobJ
01-12-2020, 10:37 AM
A couple quick pics from yesterday, while waiting for the Cecil B. DeMille version to be released:

Fugu was getting along nicely with her e-rudder:

After determining that we wouldn't get out of Potrero Reach (mostly upwind) dragging the Kraken, Alan H and I enjoyed the sail:

AlanH
01-12-2020, 12:00 PM
Nice shot of Chris and Fugu! That's perfect, as here are a bunch of photos of Chris and his setup, at the dock.

Here's Fugu's transom, showing the brackets for the rudder support framework, and how they line up with the outboard motor bracket frame. The motor bracket had gotten a little wonky in the frame, and it took three of us to get it out...a little lesson learned! Note that one e-rud bracket is in the shadow of the oubtoard motor mount.

Assembling blade / framework on the dock.

AlanH
01-12-2020, 12:07 PM
The lower gudgeon seems to be J-29 size, more or less...the upper one is one "size" smaller. Here you can see how two s.s. bolts server as pins, and how it's assembled.

Chris, standing next to the rudder, showing you how big it is. Chris told me that he picked up the rudder for $100 at Blue Pelican. He looked it over and decided that it probably wasn't strong enough, so he got enough carbon fiber for two layers over the whole rudder and beefed it up. That was about another $100. He says the whole assembly is about 20 pounds.

Rudders don't have to be straight! Chris's is angled up so it reaches over the back of the transom and into the cockpit.

Now go look at the picture that Bob just uploaded, above to see the rudder mounted, and in action...

seawisdom
01-12-2020, 12:19 PM
It was great to finally meet many of you in person yesterday at the E-Rudder race. Many thanks to Jackie for organizing this. Really enjoyed spending the time with the SSS sailors and learning from you. Also, thanks for helping me debug the salt water leak issue. Here is what I found out this morning:

1) Water comes in when motoring in gear. I ran the motor in neutral gear, everything was fine. So we know it’s not the engine leaking salt water.
2) Water was coming in from aft of the aft fuel tank. There is a conduit below the aft fuel tank. Water was coming in from that direction.
3) There was so much water coming in the bilge lump was barely keeping up with it.
4) I slept on the boat on Saturday night, the bilge pump didn’t kick in. So we know the boat is not leaking salt water from one of the seacocks.
5) Water also comes in when I was sailing at 6 to 8 knots and I have the gear locked in reverse to engage the Max Prop.

Many of you suspected it was the shaft seal yesterday. I think there is a high chance that is the case. There was so much water coming in this morning when I was motoring back to StFYC, I turned around at outside of the channel breakwater and headed to KKMI. I will let you know what they find.

-Will

AlanH
01-12-2020, 12:19 PM
Releasing the Kraken went fine, it was using it that wasn't so good.

Here's Surprise! with Bob's extra spinnaker pole....which he never uses.....set up to provide leverage points near the center of the boat.

Drogue control lines...the "bridle" went forward to blocks in the pole ends, and then back to the cockpit winches.

Bob, on Surprise! 's aft deck, setting up the bridle and drogue towing line. There's about 20 feet of chain in front of the fabric bucket drogue which you can see at Bob's feet.

The two bridle lines...port and starboard, tied to a single towing line, about 50 feet long??? ...which shackled to maybe 20 feet of chain to keep the drogue in the water. Deployment was fine, but we were not able to bring Surprise! up high enough to sail to windward to get out of the Potrero Reach. When Bob turned on the engine to keep us off the breakwater, I warned him about lines in the prop so we just used it for long enough to point the boat the other way...only to find that the port line had gotten jammed in the rudder. Initially, I couldn't move the rudder at all, though that eased up in a minute. After pulling the drogue and towing line and chain on board, that somehow...happily....free'd itself and we went for a nice sail out to Southampton Shoal and up to the Sugar Dock.

AlanH
01-12-2020, 12:23 PM
Sea Wisdom sure is pretty....even with water getting into the bilge. I hope you get it fixed, Will! It was nice to meet you!

seawisdom
01-12-2020, 01:30 PM
Thanks Alan! Also thanks for tasting my bilge water and helping me debug the system.

Philpott
01-13-2020, 02:02 PM
Thanks Alan! Also thanks for tasting my bilge water and helping me debug the system.

Will knows that he needs to get right down on his hands and knees. What percentage of their time do singlehanders spend peering down at their bilges? Does Sea Wisdom's bilge hold pinot noir or a chardonney?

Philpott
01-13-2020, 02:21 PM
Here is Michael Chammout, FINALLY wearing his well deserved Long Pac jacket, which went through seven people in its journey to him. Thank you, Michael, for driving me around the course for video taking.

Randy Leasure came by and took some terrific photos which are posted elsewhere on this forum and probably lots of other places, too. He also distributed bags full of donut holes. Cruelly left a whole bag on Dura Mater.

Here are Bob and David pre deployment

and Lori on Hang Ten, with George Lythcott's emergency rudder, post deployment

Five boats participated in the Second Biennial SSS E Rudder Race: Chris Case on FUGU, the only singlehander out there, Bob Johnston on Surprise! with Alan Hebert as crew, Will Lee on Sea Wisdom with David Herrigel aboard, Lori Tewksbury with Eric the Bowman Extraordinaire (he described himself to me during a party at RYC a year ago) on Lori's Express 27 Hang Ten and Kirk Dennebeim on Mirthmaker, with crew Greg Nelsen and Steve Buckingham.

Was it a race? Oh, yes! Video to follow, all boats looked beautiful. Who won the awards? Well, Mirthmaker got the barndoor award. Surprise! the Kraken award, Hang Ten the shortest waterline award, FUGU the solo deployment and Sea Wisdom the simplest mechanism. Thank you to Mr Hedgehog for the naming of the awards and the always gracious distribution of them. You've heard the phrase: "There's only one way to get one of these".

BobJ
01-14-2020, 12:06 AM
Lori's Express 27 is Hang 20, perhaps the perfect name for a fast (and wet) double-handed Pac Cup entry.

Philpott
01-26-2020, 02:36 PM
2020 SHTP Seminar: The Return Trip

Yes, yes. The Fiasco is behind us and now it’s time to have the next Seminar in preparation for the 2020 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race.

Questions to be considered: Do you plan to send your boat back by container? Will you sail her back alone or with crew? Very excellent questions, and there are people who will answer them. Yes, every single one.

First up: David Herrigel, Winner of the 2016 race on his previous boat, a Wilderness 30, has built a large crate for which people may pay approximately $220 to send extra equipment to Kauai ahead of time. What kinds of equipment? Well, that’s something you will learn at the Seminar. Here is David hard at work at Command Central in Hanalei Bay.

David and everybody else who has anything to say about it, will also be on hand to talk about the process of packing up your boat in preparation for the move by container ship. Here is a photo of the boats on trailers in Nawiliwili Yacht Harbor in 2016.

Greg Ashby, also a Wilderness Wonk, participated in the 2018 race and then – inexplicably, it would seem - sailed home again. Yes, people do that. Here’s a photo of Greg as he re-entered the bay under the Bridge. How do we happen to have that photo? Well, if you sail all the way to Hanalei Bay and back again, we will greet you upon your return, won’t we?

Mike Cunningham, on another small boat, a Freedom 30, will be on hand to provide another version of sailing a small boat back from Hanalei Bay. Here is a photo of Mike arriving under the Gate.

Can’t see him? Well, that’s what happens when you arrive at night. Remember that when you plan your return. Good optics require sunlight. This isn’t the BBC.

And finally, Charlie Casey sailed his Cal 40 to Hanalei solo and then sailed back, but with crew. Charlie will talk about his version of Return by Sailor, on a larger boat and with other people. Here is a photo of Charlie in the SSS Awards Ceremony at the Nawiliwili Yacht Club.

Well, okay. That’s not really Charlie.

Whatever your plans are, come 'round and talk about them with people who have considered some of the same issues already. Join us on Wednesday night, February 19 downstairs in the Regatta Room of the Oakland Yacht Club @ 7:30 pm.

seawisdom
02-08-2020, 11:49 AM
Will knows that he needs to get right down on his hands and knees. What percentage of their time do singlehanders spend peering down at their bilges? Does Sea Wisdom's bilge hold pinot noir or a chardonney?

Here is an update on what happened to Sea Wisdom during the e-rudder race. After spending a week at KKMI, the water intrusion was related to LongPac repaired rudder post. The boot holding the packing nut holding the packing gland was somehow turned by the rudder post. So the packing gland was not doing it's job. The fix was to make some adjustments so that packing nut will not come lose. Also, we put in 5200 around the boot, covering the packing nut. So this thing is water tight. Yes, future maintenance would be an issue, but I will let KKMI perform it.

Philpott
02-14-2020, 06:42 PM
https://vimeo.com/391617913

Philpott
02-19-2020, 09:52 AM
Tonight (February 19, 2020) at the Oakland Yacht Club:*The Return Trip, by Container ship or Sailor?
7:30 pm downstairs in the Regatta Room

solosailor
02-28-2020, 06:31 PM
It's always a good idea to inspect your rigging on a regular basis and before any long distance trip. Here is the skipper of the Hobie 33 "Still Crazy" with his assistant getting it done.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5162

vilhauer
03-03-2020, 05:06 PM
Tonight (February 19, 2020) at the Oakland Yacht Club:*The Return Trip, by Container ship or Sailor?
7:30 pm downstairs in the Regatta Room

Hi Jackie - Is there a video available on-line of the 'Return Trip' seminar?

Thank you in advance,

Tom

DaveH
03-03-2020, 05:53 PM
Hi All -
here are pertinent documents about shipping boats on trailers home from the last seminar;
1. a pdf of my ppt presentation from the seminar
2. a fact sheet from Larry Conkilin, which documents the relevant details of your vessel
3. a letter from our esteemed friend and crane operator, Larry, to people intending to ship home.
**note that number 3 has information, specifically the proposed schedule, "tug" status, and rates, that are still in flux, but will serve for the time being.

If you are intending on shipping your boat home, it would be a good idea to fill out the info sheet and get in touch with Larry sooner than later.
It also would be a good idea to cc me so I can help coordinate with Larry. PM me here if you need my email or other contact info.

Best,

DH

Philpott
03-04-2020, 10:05 AM
here ya go, Tom!

https://vimeo.com/395358956

vilhauer
03-04-2020, 03:26 PM
here ya go, Tom!

https://vimeo.com/395358956

Thank you Jackie! I've shared your link in the Ericson Yachts forum. A number of people there are interested in the topic.

Philpott
03-05-2020, 08:35 AM
Thank you Jackie! I've shared your link in the Ericson Yachts forum. A number of people there are interested in the topic.

Glad to hear it is useful. Ericsons are such pretty boats. Curvy.

BobJ
03-06-2020, 01:03 PM
I mentioned to somebody recently that one of the reasons I sold Ragtime! was that after 16 years, I was hankerin' to do up another boat.

What was I thinking?

Philpott
03-08-2020, 12:03 PM
Wednesday night March 11, 2020 the Singlehanded Sailing Society will offer a seminar on Rigging and Sailplan for the 2020 SHTP. You are welcome to join us downstairs at the Oakland Yacht Club @ 7:30 pm.

Ryan Nelson of Rogue Rigging (the “rogue rigger” himself) will advise us again, as he did so brilliantly before, in 2018. He is, after all, a sailor himself who knows what singlehanders need. What is that? Well, that’s what you will learn Wednesday night.

Also

Who hasn’t heard of Dave Hodges?

If you’re neither a sailor nor a boat builder, maybe you’ve never heard of him.

If you don’t work in the marine industry or live near boats, maybe you’ve never heard of him.

If you’ve never listened in on a conversation between sailors, maybe you’ve never heard of him.

Otherwise, if you have spent any time around sailors who need sails for their boats, you’ve heard of Dave Hodges. And guess what? He has agreed to come talk with us Wednesday night. And why? Because he’s sailing with us again and … our former Commodore David Herrigel asked him. Yes. That is what sailing networks do. They work with each other.

So, come on over. Listen up and ask all your questions. Because this is quite the opportunity. See you there.

Philpott
03-08-2020, 04:55 PM
https://vimeo.com/396324710

vilhauer
03-11-2020, 02:51 PM
https://vimeo.com/396324710

Is the seminar still happening tonight with all the coronavirus closures?

Thanks,

Tom

Philpott
03-11-2020, 03:21 PM
Is the seminar still happening tonight with all the coronavirus closures? Thanks,Tom

Absolutely.

Philpott
03-16-2020, 12:11 PM
Drove to Dura Mater yesterday, self distancing myself in my car. Then I arrived to see Bob’s car in the parking lot. I dropped my sailbag off at DM and continued on down E Dock to Surprise! Found Bob with box cutter in hand, ready to unpack his brand new, gleaming white alternator. Not just an alternator, but one way better than DM’s. Three times mo betta. Which Bob emphasized. Oh well. This is what one has come to expect: Surprise! is so pampered!

I was invited aboard but there was no enthusiasm. I thought maybe he was keenly aware of the whole social distancing effect, but it turns out I was sitting on the steps, which need to be removed in order to access the engine. So I left.

Upon thinking about this whole social distancing issue, I suppose that the Medical Preparation and Provisioning seminar should be reconsidered. Especially since Jan Hirsch has already asked whether he could do the Medical presentation remotely. Which is a nice way of saying that he doesn’t want to come in person, and not just because he lives far away. So I replied in a fake gracious way and that’s what we’re going to do.

Jan is an anesthesiologist, which means he is the last person to talk with a patient before sending him/her under the knife. So I suppose I see his point. For the patients anyway. Plus it offered me the opportunity to look up how to spell anesthesiologist, and now you, too, know how it is spelled. With all seven syllables.

What will we do about provisioning? We’ll have to cram it in some other time. In the meantime, make an appointment with your primary care provider in order to get any prescriptions you may need, and read here:

From Allen Cooper s/v Krissy
https://www.sfbaysss.org/resource/doc/allen_cooper_medical_2014.pdf

and Doctor Mike from 2012
https://www.sfbaysss.org/resource/doc/Mikes-med-list-and-note-2012.pdf

While you’re at it, click here and read anything else you might find useful:
https://www.sfbaysss.org/main/resources/#seminar

In the meantime, I’ll post Dr Hirsch’s presentation here on the forum and you can thank him sometime when you see him on his Islander, “rassling” with that huge 180 jib of his.

Until further notice, take care of yourselves and practice safety precautions by singlehanding.

BobJ
03-16-2020, 12:23 PM
I made NO comparative remarks about DM's alternator. Yes, you were in the way, but we had a nice long chat before I pointed that out. I think you're just sore because I had no chocolate to offer.

Kaiser has been holding a Bactrim prescription and some Scopalomine patches for me. I should have picked them up before all hell broke loose. Now I don't want to go near the place.

Philpott
03-16-2020, 04:03 PM
I made NO comparative remarks about DM's alternator. Yes, you were in the way, but we had a nice long chat before I pointed that out. I think you're just sore because I had no chocolate to offer.

Kaiser has been holding a Bactrim prescription and some Scopalomine patches for me. I should have picked them up before all hell broke loose. Now I don't want to go near the place.

okay, I concede the point. We did have a nice long chat, no comparisons were made with DM's alternator per se, and I WAS snuffling around for chocolate. Which I found in my galley. Thanks, Steve.

Philpott
03-18-2020, 11:38 AM
https://vimeo.com/398515929

Philpott
04-02-2020, 11:10 AM
Thank you to Dr Jan Hirsch s/v Sweet Pea, for this Power Point presentation on Medical Provisioning. When we get closer to the SHTP he has agreed to do a zoom presentation and to answer questions. Currently he is, in his words "... a bit swamped..."