PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race Participants

Philpott
10-09-2019, 06:26 PM

JimQuanci
10-12-2019, 11:50 AM
So who do I send the check to? How much?

Almost finished installing forced air space heater (runs on diesel) on the Buffalo. Need some creature comforts as I get older...

BobJ
10-12-2019, 11:57 AM
Are you planning a longer return, perhaps by way of the PNW? That's what I'd like to do - though 2022 is more likely than 2020 for that diversion.

mike cunningham
10-12-2019, 05:48 PM
Let's see...Quancy has forced air heating, Johnson has a bathtub and a rubber duckie, what next, a Jacuzzi?

mike cunningham
10-12-2019, 05:54 PM

Note paragraph 3. For some reason David want's to get to Hawaii in a hurry.

Olson 29

Conceived as a revamp of the Olson 30, the Olson 29 was in 1984. The 29 has the same hull as the 30, but everything else is different. The 29 had 3 important and more forward-thinking features when compared to the Olson 30: Ellpitical keel and rudder, fractional rig and open transom.

Production commenced 1985 and it is believed that only 27 Olson 29’s were built.

Due the smaller fore triangle, the 29 actually has less upwind sail area than the 30. The down wind sail area is higher as the 29’s mainsail is larger than the 30 and utilizing the “stock” penalty pole, the 29 has the same sized spinnaker as the 30.

Gamayun
10-14-2019, 11:12 PM
Let's see...Quancy has forced air heating, Johnson has a bathtub and a rubber duckie, what next, a Jacuzzi?

Um, nope. I have Corian countertops, a water heater and a stripper pole. I think you meant Johnston, not Johnson. He probably has a jacuzzi on that amazingly beautiful yacht of his.

JimQuanci
10-15-2019, 02:31 AM
Are you planning a longer return, perhaps by way of the PNW? That's what I'd like to do - though 2022 is more likely than 2020 for that diversion.

2020 I come straight home. That work thing.

2022 I hope to retire and do the PacCup - and then head north as the weather allow... Alaska... Queen Charlottes... whichever way the wind blows... but a lot can change in 3 years... time will tell...

sleddog
10-15-2019, 10:17 AM
PSSA singlehanders racing to Hanalei: https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=PSSA_T001488899&DOC=nr&TYP=pdf

Philpott
10-15-2019, 10:33 AM
"The race will start at J or H mark in Marina Del Rey in accordance with sailing instructions at
noon on Saturday, June 27 2020. The finish line will be in the vicinity of the entrance to
Hanalei Bay, Kauai."

Huh! Will they have their own Sea Squirrel?

WBChristie
10-15-2019, 12:07 PM
"The race will start at J or H mark in Marina Del Rey in accordance with sailing instructions at
noon on Saturday, June 27 2020. The finish line will be in the vicinity of the entrance to
Hanalei Bay, Kauai."

Huh! Will they have their own Sea Squirrel?

1. ORGANIZINGAUTHORITY:
The Pacific Singlehanded Sailing Association located in Marina Del Rey, California, is organizing the 2020 Shaka Challenge Race from Marina Del Rey to Hanalei Bay, Kauai, Hawaii. The race will be held in conjunction with, and finish with the 2020 SSS Singlehanded Transpac. The two races will be scored differently and will be managed individually by their respective clubs.

BobJ
10-15-2019, 12:43 PM
There you go Gary. In the Shaka Challenge, your WS 32 rates 224 and the Olson 30 rates 96. The 100 point rating spread becomes 128. You could take the grand piano and billiard table.

They also let you race double-handed, if you're into that sort of thing.

WBChristie
10-15-2019, 12:54 PM
There you go Gary. In the Shaka Challenge, your WS 32 rates 224 and the Olson 30 rates 96. The 100 point rating spread becomes 128. You could take the grand piano and billiard table.

They also let you race double-handed, if you're into that sort of thing.

Interesting.

tboussie
10-15-2019, 07:57 PM
The Pacific Singlehanded Sailing Association located in Marina Del Rey, California, is organizing the 2020 Shaka Challenge Race from Marina Del Rey to Hanalei Bay, Kauai, Hawaii. The race will be held in conjunction with, and finish with the 2020 SSS Singlehanded Transpac. The two races will be scored differently and will be managed individually by their respective clubs.[/QUOTE]

I for one think it is brilliant. Having two singlehanded fleets anchored in Hanalei Bay and mingling with our southern neighbors sounds good to me. Combined awards ceremony?

DaveH
10-16-2019, 11:00 AM
Me? not so much...
Social aspects, ok maybe.
Including this in an "official" race document and specifically the wording used has legal ramifications for the SSS and frankly pisses me off after all of the work done regarding trademark permissions.
Also, why does PSSA get to ride the coat tails of 40 years of hard work by the SSS to promote their "rally"?

Call me ungenerous, or even elitist, but I think it dilutes the traditions and hard work to gain some level recognition for the way we run this event to imply the events are run in conjunction with one another.
Even if that's technically contradicted by the following sentence.
Calling Bullshit.
DH

Jonathan Gutoff
10-16-2019, 11:40 AM
Did the SSS OK this?

Philpott
10-17-2019, 09:24 AM

DaveH
10-17-2019, 10:14 PM
Me? not so much...
Social aspects, ok maybe.
Including this in an "official" race document and specifically the wording used has legal ramifications for the SSS and frankly pisses me off after all of the work done regarding trademark permissions.
Also, why does PSSA get to ride the coat tails of 40 years of hard work by the SSS to promote their "rally"?

Call me ungenerous, or even elitist, but I think it dilutes the traditions and hard work to gain some level recognition for the way we run this event to imply the events are run in conjunction with one another.
Even if that's technically contradicted by the following sentence.
Calling Bullshit.
DH

So, I'm winding back a bit of the stridency of the previous post.
I will let others explain the thinking and wisdom of the plan to finish the two separate races in the same place at nominally the same time frame, but that is apparently the plan.
What appears to me to have happened is that there was decision taken to share a destination and an "informal agreement" to share some logistics and a banquet between the 2 events.
It's not my place to comment or second guess that; I have my opinions, but I will keep my own council.

From there, it appears that the PSSA took it upon themselves to write their NOR with the language regarding the Organizing Authority.
To be transparent, the way this was phrased is problematic beyond the fact that it's self-contradictory and mealy mouthed.
First, the SSS has a negotiated agreement with the Trans Pacific Yacht Club regarding the use of the trademarked word TRANSPAC. I'm not going to re-litigate that, or comment on the morality of who owns a word; It's a done deal and this use violates the SSS's part of it.
Second, as an official race doc, this phrasing doesn't conform to the RRS way to state the organizing authority which is formatted the way it is because of...
Three, as published the phrasing puts the SSS in the liability chain should something go sideways with PSSA's event. Yeah, that's likely a debatable point given the third sentence, but the reality is that lawyers make their money debating these things, and SSS would certainly be in the line of fire should the worst happen.

SO, with all that said, my understanding is that there will shortly be a re-issued NOR from PSSA, that properly states their event as it's own entity and leaves the SSS off.
I'll now shut up and not second guess the rest of it.

Back to boat prep...
OUT

DH

sleddog
10-18-2019, 08:03 AM
SO, with all that said, my understanding is that there will shortly be a re-issued NOR from PSSA, that properly states their event as it's own entity and leaves the SSS off.
I'll now shut up and not second guess the rest of it.
DH

Thank you David for your explanation and concern. For those who did not know, as SSS Commodore, DH worked tirelessly and thanklessly fending off Los Angeles to Honolulu Race officialdom and their lawyers who had copywrote "Transpac," and wanted SSS to cease using their terminology and return all previous mention and momentos to them, including trophies and belt buckles to be melted down.

Long live Singlehanded TransPac!

DaveH
10-18-2019, 09:10 AM
And There's Still Only One Way To Earn This!

brianb
10-18-2019, 10:27 AM
Some history:

The PSSA approached me and asked if we cared if they finished in Hanalei. My response was simply I did nt see how we could object and agreed to approach the full board. This led to a discussion of sharing an awards ceremony and assistance with the finish line chores. Other than those two items the races are not combined. Regarding the use of the word "Transpac", they were not aware there was an issue, at least the current management team was not aware. The Shaka challenge was a reaction to the logistics of getting a boat from LA to SF and the return logistics of shipping a boat out of Hanalei.

The SSS board members have agreed to this approach. Most see it as a positive means of promoting more west coast solo racing.

My personal opinion is that we should have even more fun mingling with PSSA at the tree gathering with the three to five finishers from the LA basin. We seem to enjoy having cruisers in the Bay join us as well as a few live-aboards that hang around the Bay.

For those that have time on their hands please see my post about volunteering for the SHTP in Hawaii. Come join the team.

Regards,

Brian

brianb
10-21-2019, 03:58 PM
St Regis Hotel in Hanalei may shut down in March of 2020 for several months to renovate.

The rumor is the Hotel in Princeville may shut down through the period of the arrival of the SHTP race. This may put pressure on housing availability.

Brian

brianb
10-21-2019, 04:08 PM
OK What ?

Brian

Philpott
10-22-2019, 10:09 AM
St Regis Hotel in Hanalei may shut down in March of 2020 for several months to renovate. The rumor is the Hotel in Princeville may shut down through the period of the arrival of the SHTP race. This may put pressure on housing availability. Brian

Thanks, Brian. I appreciate the heads up. Certainly any self respecting singlehanded sailor would only stay in the in Bali Hai Suite, anyway. It's $2941/night before renovations. Maybe the amenities are getting an upgrade? More threads per inch of material in the sheets, fluffier towels, colder champagne? Don't suppose they allow foul weather gear in the dining room?

BobJ
10-22-2019, 10:17 AM
After they get it all spruced up, I say we re-create the "Latitude 38 founder passed out drunk in the dinghy on their beach" scene.

Just for old time's sake...

Philpott
10-22-2019, 11:54 AM
After they get it all spruced up, I say we re-create the "Latitude 38 founder passed out drunk in the dinghy on their beach" scene. Just for old time's sake...

You write "we", Bob. If that means you are all in for the race, I will trespass with you in Hanalei Bay. You can be the drunk guy, I'll take the photograph.

AlanH
10-22-2019, 01:19 PM
Did the SSS OK this?

This is an important question. Thanks for the clarification, Brian.

dolfinbill
10-22-2019, 08:09 PM
And There's Still Only One Way To Earn This!

At the risk of whatever, my instincts are the same as the Hedgehog. Doing the SHTP from San Diego makes it even harder to get to the starting line but after so many years of dreaming there was only one way to get that buckle so Dolfin bashed up the coast to SF twice. Is it worth it? Do you really have to ask? I have mixed feelings about the PSSA joining in. I sympathize with with SoCal sailors wanting to share the experience but at the same time don't want to dilute the tradition of the SHTP. I'm just so proud to finally have those two beautiful belt buckles.

Bill Meanley
Dolfin, Pacific Seacraft 37

brianb
10-22-2019, 09:39 PM
No one owns Hanalei Bay. Anyone can race there. The only thing being shared is an awards banquet. Is that really a concern ?

tiger beetle
10-22-2019, 11:17 PM
No one owns Hanalei Bay. Anyone can race there. The only thing being shared is an awards banquet. Is that really a concern ?

Hi Brian -

I've heard that the sharing would include shore boat duty (should there be a shore boat), presumably transport to/from the awards banquet, in addition to the awards banquet itself. So I believe there's more on the table here than having extra chairs at the awards banquet.

From my perspective sharing the awards banquet is a concern. My concern is mixing the singlehanded fleet (SSS) with a doublehanded fleet (PSSA is inviting doublehanders to join their race); if the number of PSSA boats is small relative to SSS boats then sharing the awards banquet probably makes sense. What the SSS should not want is any chance of the singlehander's achievement being swamped by a larger number of doublehanders. Based on the SSS race entries in San Francisco Bay racing in which there are many more doublehanders than singlehanders, I would expect that over time more doublehanders will enter the PSSA race than singlehanders - and then the dilution occurs.

The SSS has fiercely retained the SSS TransPacific Yacht Race as a singlehanded event despite the periodically-raised idea of 'Why not invite doublehanders to race SSS Transpac? - we'd have more boats that way.' The response historically has been that if you want to race doublehanded then go do Pacific Cup, the SSS Transpac is for singlehanders. The PSSA Shaka Challenge does not seem to have this mindset - rather than have a singlehanded-only race to Hawaii they are competing with doublehanded division of the big LA Transpac race. I do not believe this is a good move by the PSSA, and the SSS should not want to get caught up in that competition in any way/shape/form.

- rob/beetle

sleddog
10-23-2019, 08:10 AM
What the SSS should not want is any chance of the singlehander's achievement being swamped by a larger number of doublehanders. Based on the SSS race entries in San Francisco Bay racing in which there are many more doublehanders than singlehanders, I would expect that over time more doublehanders will enter the PSSA race than singlehanders - and then the dilution occurs.

The SSS has fiercely retained the SSS TransPacific Yacht Race as a singlehanded event despite the periodically-raised idea of 'Why not invite doublehanders to race SSS Transpac? - we'd have more boats that way.' The response historically has been that if you want to race doublehanded then go do Pacific Cup, the SSS Transpac is for singlehanders. The PSSA Shaka Challenge does not seem to have this mindset - rather than have a singlehanded-only race to Hawaii they are competing with doublehanded division of the big LA Transpac race. I do not believe this is a good move by the PSSA, and the SSS should not want to get caught up in that competition in any way/shape/form.- rob/beetle

+1

BobJ
10-23-2019, 02:42 PM
I'm proud and protective of our singlehanded race to Hanalei but here's my take, as shared with another SSS'er earlier today (with minor edits):

"As you know, I agree about the singlehanded emphasis. Note that the 2018 Shaka Challenge was also open to doublehanders but all six entries were singlehanders. I suspect PSSA feels the same way we do (their newsletter is called the "Solo" after all), but they are doing everything they can to get enough entries to put the thing on.

Here are my two concerns (numbered for your convenience :)

1) Brian supports helping them and we don't want to piss off Brian - we need him to run the race.

2) We know some of the PSSA folks - they DID come up and start at the Corinthian YC and race singlehanded to Hanalei with us. I'd hate to see any animosity develop between the two groups. That's why I'm sensitive to what's being posted about this on our forum - which they read. (Edited) The better thing is to get together and chat about our concerns."

At this point, I say "the more, the merrier." I think sponsored pros are a bigger threat to the SHTP than a couple of double-handed entries from SoCal (if there even are any).

Jonathan Gutoff
10-23-2019, 03:46 PM
Hopefully this isn't that much of a thread drift. Is finishing in Hanalei from SoCal the best course? Does being further north make a difference? Sleddog?

solosailor
10-23-2019, 06:45 PM
Let them do their own race, we should not combine our clubs races. The PSSA Shaka Challenge being held the same years as the SHTP is an issue for me and I've told Jerome that many times since he floated the idea so he could race his Mini from LA...... which he didn't even do in the Shaka Challenge. I feel the PSSA is riding on the coattails of the SHTP and takes away potential competitors. They could have held it on Odd years so SSS members could compete in their race as well but they decided to put it at the same time as the SHTP.... not cool in my book at all. Yes, they are free to hold their own race..... which I though was to Oahu for "easier shipping".... Now they want to come crash our party and finishing location as well??? Weak PSSA, weak.

solosailor
10-23-2019, 06:56 PM
The race will be held in conjunction with, and finish with the 2020 SSS Singlehanded Transpac.WTF???? This is something the current board approved? I think this is something that the membership base of the SSS should decide. Not pleased to hear they published this in their NOR. Let them race to Oahu like they pitched since the beginning of the Shaka and stop stepping all over the SSS toes. There IS a singlehanded race from the West Coast to Hawaii in even years and a chance to doublehanded every year already. I have pitched this many times over the years but I think the SSS needs a board of directors, not just current short term officers. The board would have to approve any changes to the SSS rules, etc. that the current officers want to implement.

sleddog
10-23-2019, 07:30 PM
Hopefully this isn't that much of a thread drift. Is finishing in Hanalei from SoCal the best course? Does being further north make a difference? Sleddog?

Hi Jonathan,
There is no "best" course to Hanalei. Leaving from SoCal or SF Bay encounter roughly the same winds, sailing angles, Ridge and southern lobe of the EPAC High. SF to Hanalei is 2,120 miles and SoCal to Hanalei is 2,300 miles, a difference of 180 miles.
Given the longer distance and a slightly higher probability of getting stuck in a "Catalina Eddy" as opposed to a "Southerly Surge," I'd guess the SoCal to Hanalei course would take the average singlehander about a day and a half longer to sail than starting at SF.

BobJ
10-24-2019, 08:54 AM
WTF???? This is something the current board approved? I think this is something that the membership base of the SSS should decide. Not pleased to hear they published this in their NOR. Let them race to Oahu like they pitched since the beginning of the Shaka and stop stepping all over the SSS toes. There IS a singlehanded race from the West Coast to Hawaii in even years and a chance to doublehanded every year already. I have pitched this many times over the years but I think the SSS needs a board of directors, not just current short term officers. The board would have to approve any changes to the SSS rules, etc. that the current officers want to implement.

Their NOR has been taken down and according to prior posts in this thread, the replacement NOR won't mention the SSS or our race.

Not sure I'm going but if I do, I look forward to seeing these skippers.

Submarino
10-28-2019, 04:32 PM
After reading this discussion, my feelings about blending the finish & awards is undesirable Dilution. I would rather keep the SHTP distinct by its Tradition.

-Joe B. Archimedes

Philpott
11-15-2019, 01:33 PM

Gamayun
11-20-2019, 11:08 PM
This thread is one symptom of the reason I'm moving away from the SSS and planning on doing other things. I'll keep in touch with those I consider friends but the closed-minded mentality that leads to thinking, "this is our race, go away" boggles my mind. It's just sad. But, hey, this is not my fight. I'd rather walk away and be happy for the great memories.

solosailor
11-21-2019, 09:32 AM
Of course they can do and go where they want but I guess I'll be labelled with a "close-minded mentality" since I find it in very bad form to create an event with the same format, time and now finish location of another groups long running event. They could have simply held their race in odd years. Cheers

Oceanslogic
11-21-2019, 09:56 AM
I also agree with Solo....
The Shaka Challenge could be the second longest running Singlehanded to Hawaii event on the West Coast if they just pushed their scheduling to Odd Years; and it would actually draw more people into cultivating a history and tradition that has taken the SSS years to develop. There is a real easy fix here....Who from the Shaka Challenge cares to comment? SHTP 2020.....SCTP 2021.....

AntsUiga
11-21-2019, 01:21 PM
This thread is one symptom of the reason I'm moving away from the SSS and planning on doing other things. I'll keep in touch with those I consider friends but the closed-minded mentality that leads to thinking, "this is our race, go away" boggles my mind. It's just sad. But, hey, this is not my fight. I'd rather walk away and be happy for the great memories.

I am sorry to read comments like this but I can understand both viewpoints.

The SSS has two major assets going for it. One is the current group of folks that participate in the races and discussions. The second asset is the SSS history.

My only contact is the forum and a trickle of event participation. There must be a lot of other discussion that I am unaware of.

Per AlanH comments in another topic, it seems communication / discussion between decision makers and general membership could be better. In other volunteer groups, an annual general meeting to present and discuss was good. The folks that participate and do the work - get to make the decisions. Hopefully the general membership relays their concerns.

It's all my humble opinion as a bystander.

Ants

AlanH
11-21-2019, 01:25 PM
Wouldn't it be Amazing if there was a singlehanded and/or doublehanded race from California to Tahiti? 2021...2023? 3,570 miles...

BobJ
11-21-2019, 02:44 PM
I messed around with this a few years ago. It's doable but the logistics are a bit daunting for regular working stiffs like us.

But if you want it bad enough...

AlanH
11-21-2019, 02:59 PM
I messed around with this a few years ago. It's doable but the logistics are a bit daunting for regular working stiffs like us.

But if you want it bad enough...

I was thinking about it as an option in the future for our sister organization in So Cal.

BobJ
11-21-2019, 03:03 PM
Got it.

Then if the SSS wanted to race to Tahiti, we'd have to do it in different years and to a different destination.

(Sarcasm)

Ragnar
11-22-2019, 09:41 AM
Crazy Uncle Carl
With toil and sacrifice behind us, and more to see
Our old souls head to sea for serenity.
Middle names Danger we go together
Hoping for no drama no matter the weather.
Most say we're crazy, no doubt that's true
But we have each other's backs, just like family.

Philpott
11-22-2019, 09:49 AM
Crazy Uncle Carl
With toil and sacrifice behind us, and more to see
Our old souls head to sea for serenity.
Middle names Danger we go together
Hoping for no drama no matter the weather.
Most say we're crazy, no doubt that's true
But we have each other's backs, just like family.

That’s very nice. Why that title?

BobJ
11-22-2019, 01:50 PM
That’s very nice. Why that title?

I'm pretty sure I get it, but I look forward to clarification over a beer one day.

Related to this - The General, who lives in the Carolinas, keeps his boat in MDR and is as much an SSS'er as there ever was, turns 90 on December 11th.

Philpott
12-07-2019, 11:02 AM

saildoc75
12-26-2019, 01:30 PM
Regarding the Shaka Challenge finishing with the SHTP... was texting with Jerome Sammarcelli this morning, he said the Shaka is ending in Honolulu. What the heck?? Maybe they're not really firm on the details yet.. I went to their website and couldn't find any info about the Shaka except the date.. June 27th.
m

saildoc75
12-27-2019, 10:46 AM
Actually just found this on Jibeset... apparently they are going to Hanalei Bay after all.. :)

Philpott
01-02-2020, 12:00 PM
And we have a new boat registered for this fine experience, this thing we call The Race, hailing from Missoula, Montana (cowboy country, home also to our friend Shad s/v Dark Horse)

Philpott
01-06-2020, 08:04 PM
Winner of everything LongPac, here is Falk Meissner, registered for the 2020 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race:

Philpott
01-21-2020, 11:34 PM
And you thought we would only have six. No! We have SEVEN!

Philpott
01-26-2020, 05:46 PM
Oh, my! Two new boats in one day. This is almost too exciting. That brings the number to 9 (count 'em, NINE) sailors we'll have to scoop up in Hanalei Bay. This summer everyone will be greeted by the drink of choice. With paper umbrellas. That's a promise.

Here is the magnificent MOUTON NOIR, driven by the no less magnificent Mike Jefferson:

Too bad, no photograph is yet available for the Westsail, HULA, but here is the updated list:

Keep 'em coming.

Philpott
01-30-2020, 07:29 PM
After spending untold millions on his boat, Mr Scottish Accountant doesn't want to pay the extra $50 charge that tomorrow's registration would incur.

The kicker: Greg Nelsen agreed to make him an emergency rudder.

Photo of the s/v Surprise! by Steve Green

AlanH
02-05-2020, 02:01 PM
Y'all know that Bill Stange held the fastest elapsed time record for the SHTP for many, many years?

Welcome back, Bill. That Westsail will be a different ride from your Olson 30! I look forward to meeting you!

captleasure
02-07-2020, 09:32 AM

Here is a pix of W32 Hula looking good!

dolfinbill
02-07-2020, 06:55 PM
Here is a pix of W32 Hula looking good!

She does look good. But so does Tortuga - what's up with her?

Philpott
03-08-2020, 07:48 PM
I'll bet you all thought there was an eleventh participant for the 2020 SHTP, didn'tcha? Well, no, but almost as good is this GREAT photo of Sea Wisdom:

Oooooh. So pretty!