PDA

View Full Version : Season & SHTP Updates

captleasure
04-16-2020, 05:10 PM
Per the SSS board meeting last night there are a few race updates to share:

Season Racing Update:
The Singlehanded Farallones race, scheduled for May 16th, remains on calendar, subject to the May 4th lifting of the current stay at home orders and other safety considerations. The board is reconvening the week of May 4th to consider race possibilities. Attention will also be given to a possible June or July rescheduling of the postponed Round the Rocks race.

Singlehanded TransPacific Yacht Race Update:
Given the gravity of the recent Covid-19 outbreak, the Singlehanded Sailing Society and registered skippers have concluded that the solo race from San Francisco’s Corinthian Yacht Club to Hanalei Bay in Kauai, with events at Nawiliwili Yacht Club, will be delayed until 2021. Factors playing heavily on the minds of the group included the need to not spread infection, the strain the pandemic has already placed on facilities in both locations, plus consideration of the risk of virus exposure to United States Coast Guard personnel in an emergency. The SSS is moving forward to offer an exciting event in 2021 for the singlehanded race to Hawaii.

tiger beetle
04-16-2020, 06:02 PM
Hi Randy -

Thanks for the update. Are there plans to put this information the SSS website and the SSS TransPac site?

Where did May 4th come from? I'm unaware of anything suggesting that Governor Newsom's stay-at-home Order is other than open-ended.

That's fun that SHTP will [hopefully] run in 2021. What would make it more 'exciting' than it already is? Kind of sounds like marketing run amuck on that one - the race is what is it is, does delaying it a year make it more 'exciting'?.

- rob/beetle

WBChristie
04-16-2020, 06:08 PM
Hi Randy -

Thanks for the update. Are there plans to put this information the SSS website and the SSS TransPac site?

Where did May 4th come from? I'm unaware of anything suggesting that Governor Newsom's stay-at-home Order is other than open-ended.

That's fun that SHTP will [hopefully] run in 2021. What would make it more 'exciting' than it already is? Kind of sounds like marketing run amuck on that one - the race is what is it is, does delaying it a year make it more 'exciting'?.

- rob/beetle

Certainly more than 10 racers will make it more exciting.

tiger beetle
04-16-2020, 06:32 PM
I was race chair for SSS TransPac when we had 8 boats (2002) - and that was particularly exciting in the sense that we were struggling to figure out how to break-even financially! Hint: have every person on RC commit to carry over a trophy in their check-thru airline baggage. That saved something like $800 in shipping. I vividly recall being unable to load the Orcon half-hull trophy into the sole rental car we had, there were little packing peanuts flying all over the place at Lihue as we unpacked the trophy to get it to fit into the area behind the front seats of the little bitty car I had rented. Good times!

- rob/beetle

WBChristie
04-16-2020, 07:11 PM
I was race chair for SSS TransPac when we had 8 boats (2002) - and that was particularly exciting in the sense that we were struggling to figure out how to break-even financially! Hint: have every person on RC commit to carry over a trophy in their check-thru airline baggage. That saved something like $800 in shipping. I vividly recall being unable to load the Orcon half-hull trophy into the sole rental car we had, there were little packing peanuts flying all over the place at Lihue as we unpacked the trophy to get it to fit into the area behind the front seats of the little bitty car I had rented. Good times!

- rob/beetle

Lol! Good onya! Recently the trophy’s have been carried by the boats in the race. I think in 2010 one boats was asked to carry them all, which hardly seems fair ;)

BobJ
04-16-2020, 09:39 PM
I was standing there when Rob asked him. It was kinda funny. Kinda. (Hi Dave!)

robtryon
04-16-2020, 11:10 PM
Because of my history with Dave King I knew they would have gotten there. They did. I think Dave took four and some of the other big boats took some.

jimb522
04-19-2020, 06:15 AM
Capt. Leisure,
I think you guys made the right decision, and applaud you for doing it early enough that you will not have a bunch of aggravated sailors all dressed up with nowhere to go. Now they can all put off their last minute preparations until the last minute next year.
Jim

Dash34
04-25-2020, 07:38 AM
Hi all, so the next SHTP will be in 2021 then moving forward will it be on even years or continue on being on odd years?
I was planning on entering the 2022 race but now it will be a race to the start line to make it next year.
Kevin

BobJ
04-25-2020, 12:33 PM
If the SHTP goes off in 2021, it would stay on odd-numbered years. I have not seen the text of the motion on which the board voted, but odd years was the strong consensus in the on-line meeting.

PSSA's Meridian 400 and our LongPac would be in even-numbered years as qualifiers (or do your own qualifier as you can now). LA TransPac is also in odd-numbered years but draws a different crowd (and starts in So-Cal). Pacific Cup's growing double-handed divisions would no longer be in competition with the SHTP for shorthanded skippers, since it is staying on even-numbered years.

DaveH
04-26-2020, 08:38 AM
Bob's version is what I heard on the call as well; I also can't speak to what was actually voted on.

DH

ross
08-23-2020, 06:57 PM
I've been searchin the forum and the main site but have not found NOR for the 2021 Singlehanded Transpac.

Anyone know when that might be posted?

Thanks - Ross

AZ Sailor
08-23-2020, 08:29 PM
I've been searchin the forum and the main site but have not found NOR for the 2021 Singlehanded Transpac.

Anyone know when that might be posted?

On average, the last 3 editions of the race’s NOR (for 2016, 2018, and the lost/postponed 2020 race) have been issued 8 months prior to the posted race date. The race date in that span has been the 4th Saturday of June or the 1st Saturday of July. So, maybe some time in November 2020?

brianb
08-23-2020, 10:20 PM
Ross, reference the 2020 documents. The race will not change much. Warning, Hawaii is still requiring quarantine. That may or may not change. That situation will call for a decision on the nature of the race.
Regards,

Brian

ross
08-24-2020, 09:20 AM
Brian and Lee,

Thank you for your reply. I was primarily interested in when the race would begin but I'll go with a date for the 2020 start and see how things progress.

Quarantine orders can ebb and flow so I know that's going to an issue.

Trying to determine if I can make it happen and will do my best to do so.

Thanks again.

Ross

38' Panda
S/V SEA BEAR
Ventura, CA

AZ Sailor
08-24-2020, 12:53 PM
Trying to determine if I can make it happen and will do my best to do so.

Ross:

Do everything you can possibly do to make it happen.

You have a cruising boat, racing might not be your main thing, and you are South of Pt. Conception. That describes the situation I faced in planning my 2018 entry. And I can tell you in no uncertain terms that the race, and the sail back, were totally worth all the effort and expense. You will find plenty of posts here praising the ‘adventure of a lifetime’ aspect of the SHTP (as distinct from the racing) and I second all of that.

Plus, I am still finding ways that doing the race benefits me now. I am planning another passage and thus working through another to-do list. One item on that list was a re-design of parts of the solar panel array that had been lost or damaged at sea after the race & return. Gathering the information to start that brought me back to the energy budget for Morning Star that was one of the race requirements. It didn’t take long to update it in light of my experiences and changes to various load items since then. Having that spreadsheet on hand saved a lot of time and grief.

A small point, but it is just one example. The SHTP is an adventure that keeps on giving.

ross
08-24-2020, 05:18 PM
Lee,

Thank you for your encouragement and information. Yes, my boat is a cruising boat but it sails in a respectable way. The PHRF is about 164 I think.

The race is all about the 'adventure of a lifetime' and a goal I've had for too many years and now is the time to make it real.

Are you based in Southern California?

I know 3 people that have done the Singlehanded Transpac and they all say go for it - I need to take their advice.

Thanks again,

Ross Hubbard
S/V 'SEABEAR'
Panda 38

AZ Sailor
08-25-2020, 07:30 AM
Are you based in Southern California?

Yes, at the present. If current plans hold, however, that will change with my departure for Hilo this October.