PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Qualifier

AlanH
06-08-2020, 10:25 AM
Since moving to odd-numbered years has left myself, and possibly others without a LongPac to use as a qualifier, I am keeping a "window of opportunity" open in mid-September to basically sail the LongPac course. Personally, I've XX'd out September 7 through 15 and written in "SHTP Qualifier". I'll look for the best weather window in that time.

I know of one other person who is likely to do this. If anybody else is interested, shoot me a msg.

I'd like to reiterate.. If anybody else is interested, shoot me a msg.

Message me. MESSAGE. As in click on my handle here and send me a MESSAGE...

Not make this thread into a repeat of another thread which I sadly agreed had to be removed.

Thanks.

AZ Sailor
06-08-2020, 02:40 PM
System says: "AlanH has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

AlanH
06-08-2020, 06:31 PM
System says: "AlanH has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

I'll take care of that!

Dash34
06-09-2020, 03:19 PM
Hoping to do my qualifier next month up in Canadian waters

jimb522
06-11-2020, 02:52 PM
Alan,
Its been a long time. I had planned to enter the 2016 SHTP in a trimaran. Then in late November, 2015, my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 Cancer, and I could go nowhere. I need to start living again, and would like to get my new boat to the starting line. Yours is the first post beyond cancellation and re-scheduling the SHTP for 2121 in the forum. When do you suppose a 2121 SHTP Forum might start?
Jim Bates

AlanH
06-11-2020, 03:46 PM
Alan,
Its been a long time. I had planned to enter the 2016 SHTP in a trimaran. Then in late November, 2015, my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 Cancer, and I could go nowhere. I need to start living again, and would like to get my new boat to the starting line. Yours is the first post beyond cancellation and re-scheduling the SHTP for 2121 in the forum. When do you suppose a 2121 SHTP Forum might start?
Jim Bates

While the idea of an SSS forum was mine, years and years (and years!) ago, and I served as the forum admin for about 4 years, I'm no long the admin, and am just another forum member, now. So I have no idea when or if, there will be a new SHTP 2021 sub-forum.

BobJ
06-11-2020, 05:09 PM
All we have to do is change the year in the sub-forum header from 2020 to 2021, correct?

I have limited forum powers - I'm able to change thread titles and posts but I can't change sub-forum titles. It took awhile and some arm-twisting to get the race name corrected after this sub-forum was created, and I'm not going through that again.

Most club officers would give their right arm to have an active forum and archive like this one, but the current SSS board ignores it.

BobJ
06-11-2020, 05:17 PM
When do you suppose a 2121 SHTP Forum might start?

In about 100 years?

Dash34
06-15-2020, 10:49 AM
Question about my upcoming qualifying sail...

Race rules 8.01
“entrant must submit a log on a form provided by the race committee”

Is there a specific log form I am to use or will I just submit my own log of the qualifying sail as part of my registration?

Thanks

solosailor
06-15-2020, 02:23 PM
Standard log and a picture of the GPS at the turn is what I've normally done.

sleddog
06-15-2020, 05:30 PM
Some have made mistake of reading GPS and/or Tracker distance in statue miles/decimal degrees, leaving them short. Qualifying distance assumes nautical miles......

jimb522
06-27-2020, 09:11 AM
In about 100 years?

Well, now the secret is out. I suck at math.

Westsail
07-19-2020, 05:05 PM
Woo hoo! Just got back from my new qualifier.
I went out the Strait of Juan de Fuca and back for the 400 NAUTICAL (!)
miles. Scared myself half to death when my Yanmar 53 diesel decided to
do a “diesel runaway”. I thought it was going to explode! Filled the entire Strait
with white smoke and every small fishing boat was on the VHF asking if I
needed rescuing! I then had to decide if I wanted to do the qualifier without
the possibility of using the engine. What the heck, it’s a sailboat, right?
Long story short, 7 days and 21 hours later, I had gone out over 100 miles
and put in the 400 miles in incredible light air, for a 2.1 knot average!

Philpott
07-19-2020, 09:57 PM
Woo hoo, indeed! Isn't this the funniest organization? You do something so momentous, something very few people would ever dream of doing, and then ... what? You post on an obscure forum like this one and wait days for someone to notice. Such is the strange pastime called singlehanding. And yet.

We know you're up there, sailing slowly (very very slowly), preparing for this race from SF to Kauai. Really, we do. It's this damned pandemic. People are finding it hard to generate excitement for much. And yet: CONGRATULATIONS! We look forward to seeing you soon. Or at some point, anyway. And, again, CONGRATULATIONS! You're IN. You've qualified! Can't wait to see you at the start! And then here:

AlanH
07-20-2020, 12:46 AM
Woo hoo! Just got back from my new qualifier.
I went out the Strait of Juan de Fuca and back for the 400 NAUTICAL (!)
miles. Scared myself half to death when my Yanmar 53 diesel decided to
do a “diesel runaway”. I thought it was going to explode! Filled the entire Strait
with white smoke and every small fishing boat was on the VHF asking if I
needed rescuing! I then had to decide if I wanted to do the qualifier without
the possibility of using the engine. What the heck, it’s a sailboat, right?
Long story short, 7 days and 21 hours later, I had gone out over 100 miles
and put in the 400 miles in incredible light air, for a 2.1 knot average!

oh, NOT GOOD with the Yanmar, but you're right. It's a SAILBOAT! Good on ye, slow or not!

Hey, tell us more about yourself and your boat.

Westsail
07-20-2020, 05:43 AM
The Westsail 32 with the blown engine and the 2.1 knot average
Speed for nearly 8 days is “HULA”, and my name is Bill Stange.

AlanH
07-20-2020, 09:08 AM
The Westsail 32 with the blown engine and the 2.1 knot average
Speed for nearly 8 days is “HULA”, and my name is Bill Stange.

OHHHH! :o
I am looking forward to meeting you! Westsail 32 is a bit different from your first SSS ride!

For those that aren't old enough to remember, Bill held the elapsed time record for the SHTP for a long time, set in his Olson 30 "Intense" in 1988. If I remember correctly, Bill did the races in '92 and '94 as well.

Westsail
07-21-2020, 11:04 AM
Haha I’ve only done the SHTP once, in ‘88. I will have to work on my 2.1 knot average speed if I want to make the party. No more parking with the albatross for days at a time. Incredibly, I did a qualifier a year ago, in 2019, and I averaged an incredibly slow... that’ll never happen again... 2.1 knots!!!

Philpott
07-21-2020, 02:25 PM
... my Yanmar 53 diesel decided to do a “diesel runaway”. I thought it was going to explode! Filled the entire Strait with white smoke and every small fishing boat was on the VHF asking if I needed rescuing!

Well, you obviously didn't need rescuing, but were you able to use your engine? Surely there is more to this story? How about it? I'm interested.

Westsail
07-22-2020, 12:43 AM
The Yanmar 53 ran for I would guess about a minute at an RPM that I never thought was even possible. My first reaction was to throttle back, which put the engine in neutral. To my shock, this had no effect on the rpms. I pushed the stop button and turned the key off, but still rpms through the roof and then some. I risked reaching across the motor that I feared may explode at any second to switch off the fuel tank. Then I pinched off one of the fuel lines coming off of the fuel filter. None of this had any effect on my runaway motor. I was running out of ideas to kill this beast. Smoke was pouring into the cabin. I remember thinking that my flashlight wasn’t working, but afterwards I realized it was the smoke making it hard to see. I grabbed a fire extinguisher and had it ready to go. Finally after like I said, after about a minute (or 2?). The engine finally ran out of it’s mystery fuel source, and died with a clunk and a squeak. I have never been so relieved in my entire life.
Thinking about this ordeal afterwards, I was thankful that I didn’t suffer death by engine shrapnel. I was also thankful that the engine had been in neutral, as I don’t see how my max prop could have stood up to those rpms for long.

Westsail
07-22-2020, 01:37 AM
(Continued). After calming down, I called the wife and told her what happened. She basically said to relax, the motor is kaput, and to go play my guitar for a few minutes. That helped. Realizing that getting back to the dock was going to be a bit of an ordeal either way, it was decided to start the qualifier right then, and continue westward, under sail. I had autopilots, solar panels and spinnakers that needed sorting... it was a bit of a relief to not have to worry at all about the engine. I knew that thing was toast!

Westsail
07-22-2020, 01:56 AM
(Continued)
Crawling westward in super light air, I had a chance to google “diesel runaway”. Scary videos!!! I realized that I was indeed lucky that my motor hadn’t exploded! It turns out the best way to stop a runaway diesel is to cover the air intake with either a piece of wood or a t-shirt in a thick plastic bag. Too bad I hadn’t known this earlier! Also, too bad the air intake is on the far, back side of the Yanmar...
Luckily HULA lives on a dock that’s pretty easy to sail to, and that I’ve practiced it many times. My wife was there to help bring our 20,000 lb beast to a nice gentle stop. Just like stopping 5 Olson 30’s all at the same time!
After tying up the boat, I had to know if the engine would start. I removed the cockpit floor to access the motor, and gave it a crank. It started right up, rpms ok, but sounded awful, all “clickety-clackety”. I immediately decided I was not going to rebuild or repair this oversized rusty motor that had tried really hard to kill me, and so with some satisfaction, I snuffed her out with a t-shirt in a thick plastic bag! That trick works really well...
HULA will be getting an owner installed brand new Beta diesel soon.
THE END

Philpott
07-22-2020, 08:47 AM
Great story! Next? Before and after photos, please? And costs provide a public service announcement. It is impressive that you will be able to install it yourself.

AlanH
08-14-2020, 06:47 PM
(Continued)
Crawling westward in super light air, I had a chance to google “diesel runaway”. Scary videos!!! I realized that I was indeed lucky that my motor hadn’t exploded! It turns out the best way to stop a runaway diesel is to cover the air intake with either a piece of wood or a t-shirt in a thick plastic bag. Too bad I hadn’t known this earlier! Also, too bad the air intake is on the far, back side of the Yanmar...
Luckily HULA lives on a dock that’s pretty easy to sail to, and that I’ve practiced it many times. My wife was there to help bring our 20,000 lb beast to a nice gentle stop. Just like stopping 5 Olson 30’s all at the same time!
After tying up the boat, I had to know if the engine would start. I removed the cockpit floor to access the motor, and gave it a crank. It started right up, rpms ok, but sounded awful, all “clickety-clackety”. I immediately decided I was not going to rebuild or repair this oversized rusty motor that had tried really hard to kill me, and so with some satisfaction, I snuffed her out with a t-shirt in a thick plastic bag! That trick works really well...
HULA will be getting an owner installed brand new Beta diesel soon.
THE END

oh goody! Another project before June! ;)

AlanH
08-17-2020, 10:50 AM
There appear to be three of us planning to head out for qualifiers between September 7 - September 15. If anybody else is interested, PM me.

AZ Sailor
08-18-2020, 06:33 AM
There appear to be three of us planning to head out for qualifiers between September 7 - September 15. . . .

If anyone heading out has SSB they would like to try out while off shore, PM me and we can try to set up a roll call from Morning Star here in So Cal. I've replaced the mic that gave me trouble during the 2018 race and trans-back and would be happy to get in some air time before my next ocean crossing.

JustinRoberts
08-18-2020, 07:00 AM
I feel it will be very interesting