PDA

View Full Version : SSS Race Committee update on rescheduled SH Farallones and Round The Rocks races

tboussie
06-19-2020, 09:47 PM
Two updates from the SSS 2020 season race committee:

1) We have tentative approval from the USCG to run the rescheduled 2020 Singlehanded Farallones race on Saturday June 27th. Please note that we do not yet have final approval, but we wanted to give skippers as much time ahead of the race as possible to allow for boat preparations and compliance with safety requirements. We will share final USCG approval as soon as it is confirmed.

2) We are currently planning to run the rescheduled 2020 Round The Rocks race on Saturday July 11th. We will confirm this date at the earliest possible opportunity.

An updated 2020 season NOR will be posted to the SSS website detailing the revised schedule and providing guidance regarding relevant social distancing practices.

There should be only a few changes to the standard SH Farallones SIs, most notably the requirement for skippers to record their own finish times as a back-up to the race committee record. We are planning a Zoom-based skipper’s meeting on Wednesday June 24th at 7:00 PM to review the SHF SIs and to answer any questions. Log-in details will be published on the SSS Forum and on Jibeset.

Depending on the relevant social distancing regulations in place in mid-July, there may be more substantive changes to the standard Round The Rocks SIs, designed to enable appropriate social distancing for the race committee. We endeavor to share these modifications to the standard racing format as soon as possible.

solosailor
06-20-2020, 07:30 AM
Less than ONE WEEK NOTICE (no email notice to racers yet) is simply not enough time for most to plan, prep or change their schedule and yet it's still only a maybe?? And another race within 2 weeks with less than 3 weeks notice. I know the SSS is trying to make up race dates but I say move the Farallones to the July 11 date. Move the Round the Rocks date again with proper notice.

BobJ
06-20-2020, 09:31 AM
We're singlehanders - we're adaptable, right? Thanks for staying after it, Tom.

Here's the current gear list. (http://yra.org//OYRA/docs/2020SER.pdf)

I'll stop by storage on my way to the boat and see if I can pull it together.

Philpott
06-20-2020, 09:47 AM
I'm pleased that we're moving forward. Thank you!

captleasure
06-20-2020, 03:15 PM
Hi - Slight clarifications:
The skippers meeting for the SHF will be on Thursday 6/25 @7pm and the new Around the Rocks race date will likely be late July/early August.
More to follow.

Thanks,
Randy

PSutchek
06-20-2020, 05:03 PM
I'm with solosailor , really really short notice and out of order
P

brianb
06-21-2020, 11:14 PM
I just sent out the formal PDF to a list of 215 past SSS racers. Hopefully this is received in short order.
Brian

solosailor
06-22-2020, 08:50 AM
Now the skippers meeting is "mandatory"??? What about those that don't have or use Zoom. If you are going to make it mandatory use a voice conference so people can call in and don't have to install software to make the meeting.

BobJ
06-22-2020, 10:08 AM
Clarification may be needed here - Brian's Jibeset note says "mandatory" but the SI's don't include that word. You can install Zoom when you link to the meeting - not a big deal.

Surprise! is ready and even went for a long sail yesterday, twice crossing a very windy Slot. The clevis pin that holds the headboard to the top Battcar fell out - does anyone near Richmond have a 3/8" x 13/16" (bearing surface) clevis pin in their rigging box? The size sounds weird but apparently it's a standard size - just not standard enough for West Marine. I'll check w/KKMI.

Anyway, some flexibility may be required to get a race to the stinky rocks off on Saturday, but it will be cool if it happens.

brianb
06-22-2020, 11:28 AM
I just sent a clarification. The written doc does not say mandatory, so the meeting is not. Also, the deadline is extended one day to Thursday.

Good luck to all on the water.

BB

solosailor
07-04-2020, 12:54 PM
"We are currently planning to run the rescheduled 2020 Round The Rocks race on Saturday July 11th. We will confirm this date at the earliest possible opportunity." One week out...... do we have any idea if the race is on? I'm guess not as there is nothing on Jibeset.

AlanH
07-07-2020, 04:01 PM
At this point I'm just hoping for a Vallejo 1-2, though we'll all be sitting around the VYC in surgical masks, 6 feet from each other. But at least we would have sailed there.

BobJ
07-07-2020, 04:38 PM
I received this today at 12:30, via Jibeset:

Hello Racers,

I am not the season race chair, but the board is pretty busy and we wanted to update the racing community. At this point we will not be having the RTR race this weekend (July 11). We will provide an update on a new date as soon as that is resolved. Each county has unique rules about social distancing, and this is a complicating factor in the planning of not only the crew rules, but also race committee attendance on race day.

Regards,

Brian Boschma

solosailor
07-08-2020, 12:09 AM
I don't know the complications of having a Race Committee but in regards to the competitors if the SSS is having difficulty in complying with the various social distancing regulations from different counties I suggest we simply eliminate Doublehanded racing. No crew, no issues, no?

brianb
07-08-2020, 08:14 AM
Hello Solosailor (GN): Indeed that is under consideration and being discussed in a meeting on Thursday. I noticed the EYC is running a double / single race out of the Estuary, and the SeqYC (Redwood City) has a double/single series with a crew class ! But the crewed class is a prescribed bubble of folks that live/play together and cannot vary. I presume their county rules are governing these cases. In Bristish Columbia the Canadians are also following a bubble rule. You can have up to five colleagues that can be in a recreational bubble but you cannot allow outsiders into the bubble. This makes for easy contact tracing and isolation.
SocialSailor (BB)

solosailor
07-08-2020, 09:16 AM
Thanks to the board for keep pressing during these challenging times. Cheers.