PDA

View Full Version : What might have been.

WBChristie
06-20-2020, 09:49 PM
A week out from the original start date, windy shows the high far north with a rhumb line racecourse.
Another fast year? Will we ever see a “normal” year again?

sleddog
06-21-2020, 11:57 AM
A week out from the original start date, windy shows the high far north with a rhumb line racecourse.
Another fast year? Will we ever see a “normal” year again?

This summer's 2020 Singlehanded Transpac, slated to start Saturday, June 27, is postponed a year. Nevertheless, its never too early to begin, or continue prep to make 2021 SHTP a safe, fun, and fast SHTP passage.

In this vein, as well rekindling fond memories of a wonderful boat, I hope to virtually sail my 27' sloop WILDFLOWER from the Corinthian Yacht Club start line to Hanalei Bay finish using her 2008 configuration, equipment, polars, sail combinations, and notes from my log book. Everything pretty much as it was 12 years ago, except I will use current available weather analysis and forecasts to make the passage as fast as possible given this year's June/July 2020 weather patterns and winds.

Potential SHTP entrants and other interested parties are encouraged to “run what you got,” and begin to observe weather patterns this summer, rather than waiting until next year. Things can be learned and practiced, even with the boat tied to the dock and operating from Shelter in Place, including power consumption, understanding of Eastern Pacific weather patterns, and possible sail combinations, among other things.

My plan, as it stands, is to post each day WILDFLOWER's theoretical DR position based on the previous 24 hour course and speed. Our course will be determined by whatever estimate will get us to Hanalei the fastest given the location and strength of the Pacific High and other weather influencers like an upper level low to the north, or tropical activity to the south. No, I don't have any routing program like Expedition.

WILDFLOWER's reported 24 hour average boat speed will be a theoretical estimate derived from that day's projection of wind speed and direction in the area of the WILDFLOWER's position.

Encouraging any and all to join in and “run what ya got” starting next Saturday, June 27, Noon PDST. No handicaps, safety inspections, qualifying, racing rules or expense required.

Here's today's Anal (Pacific Surface Analysis)

WBChristie
06-21-2020, 12:41 PM
Great! this will be interesting. Thanks for doing this

sleddog
06-25-2020, 03:48 PM
To reaffirm my previous post above, at noon Saturday, June 27th, several hours after 30 odd singlehanders start the 2020 rescheduled Singlehanded Farallones Race near max ebb, WILDFLOWER and I will start sailing from the CYC start line with an imaginary 2020 Singlehanded Transpac fleet on a virtual passage to Hanalei

At X+1, 24 hours after the start, I will post WF's position based on previous 24 hour average course and speed. These posts will continue daily until reaching the Hanalei Finish.
Our course will be determined by whatever estimate will get us to Hanalei the quickest given the location and strength of the Pacific High and other weather influences such as an upper level low to the north, or tropical activity to the south.

I do not intend to mention ratings or handicaps. Probably after the first night, I won't see any other boats. But who knows what might be dreamt up...WF dueling gybes with SHARK ON BLUEGRASS?

Whatever weather forecasting I use will be generic....am not using any routing program, just eyeball and best guess....With a strong Pacific High and out of season trof passing the Bay Area this Saturday evening, looks like Gale Alley will be in full cry Sunday and Monday. My course to Pt.A will take us south of the area of maximum winds, forecast to be 30-35 knots, and keep us in the 20-25 knot range, still plenty of breeze and sea conditions for the first night, a dark one, on a 27 foot boat in this year's virtual Singlehanded Transpac.

Any and all are welcome to join in...

Here's WILDFLOWER, and Norton Smith's SC-27 SOLITAIRE, dueling an hour after the start of the first Singlehanded Transpac, June 15, 1978.

DaveH
06-26-2020, 10:08 AM
So, right about now we'd all be gathering for the skippers meeting in the ballroom at CYC... followed by lunch at noon.
I suppose we can dispense with the com plan and other features of the skippers meeting; Skip, if you want to add a weather brief, great...
I'm planning on playing along here; expeditions open, polars are loaded. But that's just a fancy form of DR in this case.

DH

sleddog
06-26-2020, 10:53 AM
6/26/20 S-1 (day) to start of 2020 Virtual Singlehanded Transpac

Thanks to the club's generosity eleven 2020 SHTP entries have gathered at Corinthian YC in Tiburon. Despite its small size, this is the most competitive fleet in years with 3-4 challenging for 1st to Finish, and 7-9 a good chance at winning overall. Don't underestimate HULA, the Westsail 32!

This morning I dove WILDFLOWER in 60 degree water for a last inspection, wipe down, and rubber banding the folding prop. Prop shaft is locked with vise grips, 5 gals of diesel fuel is aboard, 1 gal of that in jug.; 20 gal. of water in numbered jugs, 30 days supply of food (I'll be sailing home and shopping on Kauai is not cheap.), an Avon inflatable dinghy, a cockpit awning, 2 bean bean bags, a Sail-o-mat windvane and 2 tiller pilots. Electronic navigation is minimal: 2 solar panels (1 able to be moved around on deck.) a depth sounder and handheld GPS, which I will power up once per day to update my DR and mark a noon position.

The weather briefing for tomorrow's noon start was short and sweet. Start will be on the last of a 3.3 ebb, one hour before slack. Winds in the Bay will be 15-20 from the SW. There's a strong EPAC high of 1031 mb anchored near 40Nx149W with intensification expected to 1035 mb near 42x146 in 72 hours, pretty much guaranteeing a fast first half of the race. There are no tropicals of concern. TD Boris is far to the south and west of track and poses no threat.

Tomorrow evening, X+8 hours, an out-of-season cold front will rapidly veer the wind from SW to NW, then NNW, building strength from 15 knots to 20-25 knots off soundings and 22-28 knots on Sunday (X+2). Seas will build to 7-12 feet by Sunday. More wind north, less wind south, at least to 140 W.(Day 7)

It should be fast and wet sailing, and I'm glad my CYC slip buddy HEDGEHOG and WILDFLOWER both have hatch dodgers.

Taped to WILDFLOWER's main bulkhead is my "game plan" aka reminder list.
Get out of Bay fast and clean. Choose right jib for the start, probably #2 (117%)
VHF 12, 15 and 45 minutes, VTS transmits shipping bearing and range from Lightbucket. VHF 14 is Lightbucket to SF Bay. VHF 13 is Bridge to Bridge.
As Stan Honey says, "consider the Farallones your weather mark until outside the SF Bar Channel.
If struggling, I am trying to hard. Slow down, rest, regroup.
Practice has shown I need 5 hours of sleep/24 hours. 20-40 minute naps OK.
Don't get fancy with little details. Remember big picture.
Have in mind what sails will be needed in next 6-12 hours. Stop spinny well.
Know where I want to be on Day X+3 when crossing 130-00 W. This is "Pt. A."
Reach off to broad reach to change headsails when the wind is over 20. No foredeck sail changes after dark. if possible. Always carry jib to bow rolled up and tied with a sail tie. Don't go to bow without knee brace. Crawl to bow except in benign conditions. Reefing/un-reefing OK at night. Keep in mind it takes 5 minutes to change jibs at a loss of 1 knot of speed.
Keep all halyard and sheet tails in their bags and out of the water.
Staysail and JT sheets always lead inside lifelines. Cunningham hook hangs up on main luff slugs.
Be aggressive with spinny in winds <18 knots.
If in doubt, sail closest gybe. Default course is 230m. No lower than 200m or higher than 270, my "fences."
Trader Joe's Jambalaya is too spicy. Tuna in yellow curry sauce better.
Don't trip on Autopilot cord!

MAGICdreamer
06-27-2020, 08:40 AM
Good luck on your Race, Sleddog!! We will be following along as will some folks up in PT.
Are you going to nap on the couch 20 minutes at a time, then run out to Andre to check in with his weather? If so, remember to wear your safety harness when you go out!
Annie is going to know you are nuts, you realize?

Cool idea, dude!

sleddog
06-27-2020, 11:51 AM
6/27/20
S-30 minutes to start at noon.
Final Weather Briefing:
Corrected Barometer = 1013 mb.
Wind at the start will be SW 12-18. I can already see the port (outboard) end of the CYC start line is, as always, heavily favored. Will likely start on port tack, get a little upwind in clear air, then tack to starboard heading for the City Front and out into the last of the favorable ebb.

WILDFLOWER's headsail of choice will be the #2, good for 6-20 knots of wind. It's a hank-on sail, as are all my headsails.

A spotter at Lands End, outside the Gate, has phoned that she can see the breeze offshore looks to be light, 6-10 knots from the SW. Hawaii is dead upwind, at least until frontal passage this evening about dark when the lights go out.

I can see this oncoming front, and veering wind shift on HRRR, aka High Resolution Rapid Refresh real time wind model. https://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrr/HRRR/Welcome.cgi?dsKey=hrrr_ncep_jet

Will likely change down from the #2 to the #3 this evening about 2000 hours, if not before. If underpowered, I'll also set the staysail inside the #3 (on its own removable stay). We won't be underpowered long, and heading for Hanalei by mid-night.

My plan is to get to windward as fast as possible, even if it means port tack for a while, away from the mark. I want to meet the frontal passage as quickly as possible. And that will mean being in the vicinity of the Farallones and west, not down near Point Montara and south. A veering (right hand shift) wind will initially favor the boats on the windward (NW) side of track.

If you want to watch our start, go to Sam's Anchor Cafe outside deck. The inboard end of the start line is directly offshore, 100 yards seaward (SW). http://gobefore.me/cams/sams_cafe/ That American flag on Sam's pole is waving limply, indicating it's in the lee of Tiburon Point. Another reason to start out in the middle of Raccoon Straits: more wind, more good current.

Gotta run. Here comes HEDGEHOG on starboard. Wheee! Of we go.

sleddog
06-27-2020, 01:38 PM
0500 tomorrow, Sunday morning GFS Grib File display

WBChristie
06-27-2020, 09:55 PM
Since all the racers are in their boats and cannot read this thread, armchair sailors are curious about some of the tactics. Is the Wind shift the only reason For this approach?
Also closer to great circle route and quicker to the stronger winds...?
Good luck, we are enjoying the ride!

6/27/20]
My plan is to get to windward as fast as possible, even if it means port tack for a while, away from the mark. I want to meet the frontal passage as quickly as possible. And that will mean being in the vicinity of the Farallones and west, not down near Point Montara and south. A veering (right hand shift) wind will initially favor the boats on the windward (NW) side of track.

sleddog
06-27-2020, 10:33 PM

1945 As forecast, it's been all upwind since the start, and we've made 5 tacks with the #2...mostly in W and WNW breeze 8-12. About 1600 the breeze freshened to 12-15 Knots, and now at 1945, on starboard tack, we have the SE Farallone Island abeam to windward, 6 miles. Speed is 6 knots, steering 225m (240T)

2000 hrs With HEDGEHOG, GREEN BUFFALO, and SURPRISE hull down and barely visible ahead (can't tell who is whom), rigged for dark by setting the working staysail on its inboard stay, and set up runner. Then hanked on #3 below the #2. Dropped #2, unhanked and dragged aft. Retied jib sheets at correct lead and hoist away with #3, which is on an 8" tack pennant to allow water from breaking waves over the foredeck to not fill the foot of the sail, potentially causing damage. Boat speed probably dropped briefly to 4.5 knots with main and staysail during change, and now back up to 6.

On offshore passages with the wind forward of abeam, I sail slightly hot sailing angles ("bow down") compared to inshore. But would remind that WILDFLOWER does not have any speed or wind measuring instruments except the handheld GPS and orange peel method and a Windex and telltales. All boat speeds are best estimates from sailing this boat for 33 years.

In the first SHTP in 1975 I towed a Walker Log for the first half of the race, and crawled aft every 2 hours to read the dial. That was never a pleasant chore, but allowed the boat to have no thru-hull fittings. By halfway to Hanalei, hungry fish had taken all 3 of my spinners, and that was the end of the Walker Log usefulness. I'd even painted the spinners black to avoid any shiny attraction for sea creatures.

At 0100 hours today (Sunday) we are off soundings (beyond the Continental Shelf) and into the synoptic (gradient) wind of "Windy Lane." There are 4-5 masthead tricolor lights in the vicinity, mostly aft and to weather. Wind speed is now 18, gusting 25 from the NW (315 T). I already had in the first reef and decided on the second. Not so much because we were tipping over, rather to neutralize any weather helm the windvane steering might be encountering.

All 3 reefs have single grommet drain holes in their bellies to relieve the possibility of accumulating sea water in the reef folds if a larger than normal wave comes over the weather rail. In addition, these drains serve double purpose and can be fitted with a hose and nipple to catch fresh water from squalls for bathing. cleaning, and drinking purposes.

Except for brief look-arounds every 20-30 minutes, I'm spending the night below, warmly dressed, drinking hot chocolate, watching the AIS glow, and napping. We are trimmed for a course of 225m (240t), and probably making 5-10 degrees leeway with current and drift. Handily, I can make minor adjustments to the tiller angle from the cabin. As well, I can shine a light through the forehatch to check jib trim and yarns on both the #3 and staysail. We are sailing fast, 6.5 to 7 knots, and not pounding, a pre-requisite for choosing my course.

sleddog
06-28-2020, 11:57 AM
X+1 6/28/20 Noon Position 36-19 N x 124-56 W. 24 hour run from Start = 158 miles at 217m (232t). Speed average = 6.3 knots. Current wind N @ 22-28 with 9-14' seas. 90% overcast. Baro=1013 mb.

Desired Course to Pt. A (33-30 x 130-00) = 225m/240t at 295 miles. Pt A is where I will enter the SE ridge of the EPAC High and enter the "Slotcars" portion of the Race as the wind begins to comes aft.

WILDFLOWER is rumbling now, averaging 7 knots with the True Wind Angle (TWA) just forward of abeam and Apparent Wind Angle (AWA) at ~ 70 degrees There's a couple of sails on the horizon to windward. Having a two burner propane stove in the galley, I'm heating water for instant oatmeal and a second cup of coffee. Had a pleasant 45 minute nap after dawn. Then suited up for an on deck inspection. Reled the #3 sheet outboard lifelines. Windvane is doing silent, yeoman duty. It's so powerful I could barely overcome it's force when both connect lines are hooked to the tiller.

Earlier I passed some kelp paddies 120 miles offshore. I hang on my belly over the windward rail to confirm keel, prop, and skeg/rudder are clean. This will be a regular 4 hourly ritual during the passage. Takes about 2 minutes and I use a cushion to lie on the toe rail.

sleddog
06-28-2020, 05:55 PM
Since all the racers are in their boats and cannot read this thread, armchair sailors are curious about some of the tactics. Is the Wind shift the only reason For this approach?
Also closer to great circle route and quicker to the stronger winds...?
Good luck, we are enjoying the ride!

Thanks! Coming out the Golden Gate yesterday at 1300 hours, the wind was SW. Port tack took you up towards Pt. Reyes. Starboard tack aimed you at Half Moon Bay. As the front and its veering and increasing wind was approaching the Coast from the NW at 10-15 knots, any distance gained in that direction would be of benefit when that progressive shift begin to be felt later in the afternoon and further offshore. I was willing to sail 5-10 miles on port tack in what looked like the wrong direction (but actually closer to GC) to take advantage of meeting this shift earlier than boats that tacked to starboard earlier.

sleddog
06-28-2020, 06:27 PM
Day 1 + 6 hours 6/28/20
1800 DR = 35-43 N x 125-37 W. Wind continues 22-26 knots from N. Reaching fast at 7 knot average. A couple of ships rang the AIS, set at 12 mile range, but no-one coming our direction. Overcast continues except for vagrant patches of blue. Boat is well balanced and not on her ear.

Weather fax shows an "Omega Block" over the EPAC....a horseshoe curved, N/S, 500 mb jet stream along the West Coast. This will anchor the Pacific High in position for next 2-3 days, making for good confidence in forecasts. However, after July 2, the Pacific High begins to deflate to 1028 mb and wind along the course drops to 10 knots or less. Thus I will begin aiming slightly further south, a safer bet. New desired course now 220m (235t), which is 5 degrees lower than we've been sailing, and faster yet. Will likely be able to change up to #2 early tomorrow, as breeze on our track is forecast to diminish slightly, to vicinity of 20 knots.
Here's the 24 hour, 500 mb, map:

Day 1, X+13 hours (0100) Shook out 2nd reef. Now 1st reef, #3, and staysail, sailing 220m at 7 knots. "dark, dark, dark" said the harelip dog. No AIS traffic at 12 miles, 2 ships on 20 mile range. Happy to get out of town when we did. Winds in Gulf of Farallones astern have gone light and from the south.

Night sailing, the only ship's lights are the glow of the red, starboard side compass light, the white AIS receiver, and the masthead tricolor running light, which illuminates the masthead Windex mounted on top of the tricolor.

X+18 hours (0600) first light of dawn. Begin sail change from #4 to 125% Jib Top (high clew) reaching jib. .86 poly spinnaker cloth built by my brother. This is a powerful sail and sheets both to the boom end or the transom corner. Change took about 5 minutes with the main and staysail keeping the boat at about 6 knots. At course 220m AWA is now abeam or slightly aft and TWS is 18-20 from N. If I had an asymmetrical spinnaker, we'd probably consider that. But we only have one spinnaker, a .75 symmetrical spinnaker in our 2008 sail complement. Making an honest 7.25 knots BS and possibly more SOG with surface current of >.5 knots. This will be a good 24 hour run. WILDFLOWER, with her 21.5 foot waterline, has never run 200 miles in 24 hours. Best on record was 194 miles, which would be hard to break. We can only average 8 knots with favorable current. Without current, 7.5 knots average could be considered "hull speed" for this IOR shaped pumpkin seed, and that takes >20 knots of wind aft of abeam. I know our SHTP competitor Bill Stange, on Westsail-32 HULA, is going to be doing better than that in these conditions. Go Bill!

sleddog
06-29-2020, 11:33 AM
X+2 6/29/20 Noon Position 34-47 N x 127-57 W. 24 hour run from Start = 178 miles at 217m (232t). Speed average = 7.4 knots. Current wind N@20 with 7-12' seas. 90% overcast. Baro=1018 mb.

Desired Course to "Pt. B" = (28-00 x 140-00) = 223m/236t, 730 miles. "Pt B" is just an aiming mark along longitude 140. It is adjustable N/S depending on weather forecast. Point B is in the area where we will enter consistent NE tradewinds of the EPAC High as the wind direction begins to align with course to Hanalei, i.e. DDW.

Today, now that wind and seas have come aft, and my stomach has settled, it is time to "go to school" on competitors. Bigger, faster boats ahead all have experienced Transpac navigators, and with daily rollcall positions available, slower boats astern can use this experience as their "probes," or "guest navigators." HEDGEHOG heading more south? GREEN BUFFALO liking the northern side of the track? Where's SURPRISE!? Where will they be crossing my theoretical "Pt. B?" along Longitude 140W?

In an attempt to keep things simple and not having to remember, 2x/day I post a piece of duct tape with the desired course written in black magic marker above the compass. This is not necessarily the course we will sail. That depends on what ever is fastest, boat speed wise. For example, I don't want to sail 4 knots on desired course if it's DDW and I can sail 6 knots by steering 25 degrees higher.

Here's the GFS Grib File Surface Chart for 4.5 days from now, July 3, when I will be approaching the area of Pt. B. Not looking so windy, eh? Good news is that by July 7 the trades will build to a more usual regimen: 15-18 knots, with 25 in night squalls.

Thanks, Hans, for your suggestion about discussing food and food prep...That's a most important part of this passage. I hope to talk about food in a couple of days when I'm able to lessen isometrics hanging on here in the cabin with 5'8" headroom, 4" short of not hitting my head. Anyone else with comments or questions, fire away.

AntsUiga
06-29-2020, 12:31 PM
This recreation is a great tutorial for those that never sailed to Hawaii (me and probably others too).

The sailing description and navigation is excellent.

Now that your stomach has settled, can you include some notes on food and food preparation. The Why on food choices would be interesting to know also.

Keep up the speed!

Ants

patience
06-29-2020, 02:56 PM
Thanks for doing this sleddog! I'm playing along too. Your write-ups are really helpful. I'm sure I'll have some questions for you, but I'm way too tired/sick right now to come up with anything worthwhile. The last 48-hours pretty much kicked my butt, and I'm just happy to still be sailing west. You can't see my tri-color... I'm quite a long way north-east of you;-)

Philpott
06-29-2020, 03:01 PM
What kind of boat is Patience? We gotta know that.

patience
06-29-2020, 03:12 PM
Hahahaha, right? Cape George 38. She's not a racer, but she's what I've got;-)

Philpott
06-29-2020, 03:22 PM

photo, please! Gotta know what all these fellas are racing against. Do you enjoy ice cream aboard, ala Green Buffalo? Over the weekend I spoke with Steve Saul, who said that his boat was referred to as the "Pleasure Palace" when he did the race. Maybe in the 2004 race or was it when he went again in 2014?

patience
06-29-2020, 04:26 PM
Pleasure Palace-what a badge of honor! We normally enjoy ice cream on board, although the freezer draws too much power so it will be soft serve in order to keep the pilot going. I'll save some if you want to meet up when things calm down. You can find me on the rhumb line for now, as I've got my hands full fixing things, throwing up, and trying not to crap my pants. Time limit may be an issue once we get out of the hell-storm we're currently in.

I don't have many external pictures of the boat sailing. The first one is quite old, that is my better half driving. The boom on the staysail is gone now. The second one is from May, and is me tacking out of Neah Bay on a singlehanded adventure. As mentioned, we're not fast!

Tim

WBChristie
06-29-2020, 07:31 PM
Run whatya brung! Will we see you in the SHTP next year?

sleddog
06-30-2020, 10:56 AM
X+3 6/30/20 Noon Position 33-15 N x 130-45. 24 hour run 165 miles @221m (234t). Speed average = 6.8 knots. Current wind NNE@16-19 with 5-8' seas. 75% overcast. Baro=1021 mb.

As WILDFLOWER enters the SE lobe (ridge) of the Pacific High, the wind has become puffy and shifty. Puffs are headers and can be seen as a darkening on the water. A puff might last 5-15 minutes with wind direction from the N. After the puff comes a lift as the wind lightens by 3-5 knots and veers to the NNE. This is fertile area for hand steering, or having the windvane drive. Autopilot steering a compass course would be slow, as half the time the sails would be either over trimmed or under trimmed if not staying attentive at the sheets.

With apparent wind (AWA) averaging 110 degrees aft the bow, yesterday afternoon at 1500 I set the spinny. With the pole near the headstay I used a reaching strut on the guy. It was full on hand steering and trimming, with only brief breaks while the AP steered during a lull. The spinnaker gave us an extra knot of speed, and we could steer lower. Left hand on the tiller, butt in the bean bag, and right hand ready to sway or surge the spinny sheet.

Hand steering can be a chore after a few hours, even when comfortably seated. After 4 hours, about 1900 hours, I was ready for a break and some food, even if it meant giving up some speed. I had the twins ready to hoist on the headstay, the 125% JT to leeward and the 117% #2 to windward, hanks staggered.

I bore off to a broad reach,started the spinnaker guy and tended the sheet while dumping the halyard with one wrap remaining on the halyard winch for friction. This was a maneuver I'd done many times and the spinnaker came aboard cleanly under the boom and down the companionway hatch.

I then went forward and put the windward jib sheet in the pole and hoisted both jibs as one. I squared the pole for an AWA of about 130, and we were off again, the windward twin feeding air leech first across the sail and into the leeward jib. The windvane steering likes this rig and there's no windshift or puff it can't handle. The tradeoff was about .25 knot of speed loss from the spinnaker, something I could accept, especially with a dark night coming on. Handsteering in these conditions with a cloudy sky at night and no stars and half moon that would set about midnight can be especially tedious, and I was happy I had this well mannered "go to" rig that would let me get some dinner, rest, and catch up on office work (log entries, charting, weather files, etc..)

This is begiining of day 3, and weather is definitely not tropical ....grey with occasional mist. Here's a bird's eye view from 22,000 miles overhead from the GOES West satellite. We won't begin to see tradewind popcorn clouds and consistent sun until south of 30, west of 140.

Sail ho! 0945 this morning. Abeam and about 4 miles abeam to windward, bearing 342. Looks like a red and white spinnaker. I don't see anyone on AIS, nor do I have a handy list of competitor spinnaker colors, so your guess is as good as mine. SHARK on BLUE GRASS? SEA WISDOM? HULA?

I reset my spinnaker about an hour ago, 1100, giving the AP a chance to show it's stuff. The Autohelm 2000 tillerpilot works in true windspeeds up to about 16 knots, so its definitely at its upper limit. But WF has a full length skeg in front of the rudder, and tracks well. Now the boat is more level, it is increasing difficult to hang over the windward rail to "check the blades." I purposely steer high and temporarily over trim the spinny to get enough heel angle to see the underhull appendages. If we've caught something, I quickly drop the spinny, put the boat head to wind with the preventer holding the boom out, and attempt to back down. Usually works, except the "back down" part. Dead in the water is usually the best I can do.

Sailing the 2003 Transpac with Stan and Sally on Cal-40 ILLUSION we snagged something substantial on the rudder, went head to wind and backed down. Didn't work, and Stan peeled to his shorts and dove overboard to clean the rudder. We had him back aboard in less than 30 seconds.

Tim's Cape George 38 PATIENCE has a full keel and therefore much less a problem catching Pacific Gyre ropes, nets, and plastic. Fin keels, exposed props, and spade rudders often catch something obnoxious at least once during a passage to Hawaii. But if you don't look, it isn't there.... WILDFLOWER has a underwater window, but it's position means I can only see the back half of the keel and prop. Better than nothing and works at night with a flashlite.

Noon posits, Day 0-Day 3

If you haven't seen this 2 minute video of a just completed, 48 day voyage into the Pacific High, it's an eye-opener. Many of you know Mary C. and we congratulate her and the crew of KWAI.

https://www.oceanvoyagesinstitute.org/news-and-updates/

patience
07-01-2020, 07:42 AM
WBChristie sorry for the delay! I had to clean up the huge mess that got created on the Windy Reach. It was a bit crazy and there was crap everywhere, but I made it. I think I'm too far north on the course, but I think I'm more or less committed now.

I would love to do this race! It's probably not realistic for me to get my qualifier done and boat ready for next year. Probably the one after that.

Tim

sleddog
07-01-2020, 09:21 AM
Since last log entry, we ran yesterday afternoon under spinnaker, pole squared about 2' off headstay, in 15-16 knots of NE wind. Excellent sailing at mostly 6.5 - 7 knots, as the seas have smoothed to 4-6 feet and, glory bee, some glimpses of the sun's rays poking through.

The moon is now over half full, and high in the sky at sundown..with moonlight filtering through the cloud deck making night sailing less like navigating the inside of a cow. With these conditions I was in less hurry to rig for night sailing and kept the spinnaker up until 2100 PDST (We will keep the ship's clock on PDST even as we advance westward towards Hanalei, which uses HST, -3 hours UTC.

At 2100 I'd changed out the #2, 6oz. dacron, 117% jib which was hanked to starboard on the headstay for the Dave Hodges built, 125%, 2.2 oz ripstop nylon JT, the only new sail I'd bought for the 2008 SHTP. This lighter sail has a shoulder high clew and a large amount of foot roach. And between it's hanks are small grommets so I can yarn the sail and hoist in stops even though it is hanked on the headstay opposite it's twin, the .86 poly JT built by my brother in 1996.

At 2115 I dropped the spinnaker, then, before hoisting, wung out the twin jibs mentioned above on their dedicated whisker poles, one being a converted windsurfer mast, the other a telescoping twist lock aluminum pole I had pinned with a bolt as I don't trust twist locks.

Hoisting the twins with their staggered hanks was easy, and off we went under wind vane steering after about a 10 minute "pit stop" where the speed had dropped to 3.5 under main alone. Ideal AWA was now 150, starboard pole slightly forward of the port pole, trimmed more aft. The cool thing about this sail combination is the combined sail area equals or exceeds the spinnaker, and you never have to worry about a spinnaker collapse or wrap. The worst that can happen is the windward twin might go aback for a few seconds. And then refill, indicating its pole is slightly over squared. Sure, I'd love to have GREEN BUFFALO's AP that will drive with the spinnaker up in most conditions while the skipper naps. But that takes instrumentation, electricity, and equipment I don't have.

sleddog
07-01-2020, 11:00 AM
Day 4 7/1/20 Noon Position 31-44 N x 133-25 W. 24 hour run 167 miles @220m (234t). Speed average = 6.9 knots. Current wind NNE @14-16 knots with 4-6' seas. 75% overcast. Baro=1022 mb.

Running under twins, genoa staysail tacked to windward rail, and full main on broad reach. The red and white spinnaker I briefly saw yesterday has reappeared 4-5 miles to windward, hull down, bearing 330m. As well, a southbound container ship, MSC HANSUN, passed astern earlier, likely headed Asia to Panama. I briefly tried giving both the ship, and the red and white spinnaker a call on VHF 16, but no reply. The ship shows up handsomely on radar at 8 miles. The sloop intermittently. I rarely turn the radar on, only at night in squall country, or if on apparent collision course with oncoming traffic. I know WILDFLOWER shows up on ship's radar in smooth seas at 12 miles as once reported by Captain Bob, on the Matson SS KAUAI. We carry a masthead radar reflector, for whatever that is worth. Probably not much. At night, when not on deck, I run an amber strobe on a removable pole on the transom, which nicely lights up the main and other white sails.

HEDGEHOG, the Olson 29, is out here somewhere, running in stealth mode. I suspect David is 100 or more miles ahead in the van. Maybe he will give us a shout. Or not. My reference to using HEDGEHOG as a "weather probe" may have silenced his position reporting. :cool:

Here's tomorrow noon's GFS GRIB file. We are aiming at theoretical "Pt. B", 28N x 140W

AntsUiga
07-01-2020, 11:29 AM
What are you using for a barometer and how was it calibrated? Recording version or spot readings?

The electronic gear on the boat is minimal so I am curious.

Thanks.

Ants

sleddog
07-01-2020, 12:19 PM
What are you using for a barometer and how was it calibrated? Recording version or spot readings? The electronic gear on the boat is minimal so I am curious. Thanks. Ants

Hi Ants,
Thank you for the question regarding WILDFLOWER's barometer. We use a Speedtech recording electronic barometer that hangs on the main bulkhead. It powers on 4xAAA batteries, which last about 2 years. The unit is about 20 years old, and I doubt is still made. I check it regularly with the nearest airport pressure, and it is ivariably accurate. It also reads temperature and humidity. The Speedtech measures 4″ x 5″ x 3/4″, and weighs 4 oz. It has a pair of switches in the back to select metric or English units; It also has on the face four push-buttons to adjust for altitude and to recall all readings made over the past 24 hours. It once sold for $99. A glance at the display presents a clear picture of pressure trends over the past day. All readings over the past 24 hours are stored, so the display can be turned back an hour at a time to see what has happened.

The only thing bogus about this barometer is it shows a sun, a sun with clouds, or clouds with rain..I've taped over that part of the display as you can see in the below photo.

Before the 2020 SHTP start I checked it's calibration with Oakland Airport.

I have no experience with barometer watches. I could ask Stan Honey if you wish.

sleddog
07-02-2020, 11:45 AM
Day 5 7/2/20 Noon Position 30-15 N x 135-59 W. 24 hour run 156 miles @220m (234t). Speed average = 6.5 knots. Current wind NE @13-15 knots with 3-5' seas. 50% cloud. Baro=1022 mb.

I have been asked how to tell where the SE lobe or ridge or the Pacific High lies. Best way is to look at a pressure map of the Pacific featuring lines of equal air pressure called "isobars." On the 24 hour surface analysis forecast below, where the isobars have the greatest bend SE of the Pacific High, lies the ridge. If you connect a line from the "H" through the bends at each isobar to the "L", that line would be the ridge, an area of lighter wind each side of the ridge where the coastal northerlies of the Windy Reach shift to the NE tradewinds. Usually it is best to cross the ridge at right angles.

As the wind and seas slowly diminish, we changed from the twins back to the spinny this morning at dawn. Though the twin jibs don't require hand steering like the spinnaker, the spinnaker gives .25-.50 knot better speed. It just needs more attention.

This morning an hour before sunrise, dead astern, rose one of the patron stars of this and past SHTP's: the planet Venus. Venus is so bright, it is easy to mistake for the masthead light of a nearby, overtaking ship. Just ask TIGER BEETLE, who attempted to radio Venus on VHF in the 1996 SHTP.

After sunrise coffee, executed in a #4 paper cone filter over my mug, I made breakfast. Except for once/week omelette with fried toast and jam, I alternate between Bob's Red Mill Quick Cooking Steel Cut Oats and brother-in-law Tom's Best Ever Granola. Both are delicious, healthy, filling, and easy to serve. I add a diced apple, raisins, and brown sugar to the oatmeal, and long life milk to the granola.

Water temp has risen to 68 degrees. Time for a lee rail bucket bath this afternoon. We carry multiple buckets of different sizes for different purposes. As many have learned to their dismay, a smaller bucket is best for fetching bath water over the rail.

That red and white spinnaker sighted twice to windward comes and goes. Currently gone. A red billed tropic bird is hanging out above the backstay, its loud cry quite shrill and piercing. I did pass a net island, about 10 feet in diameter, 25 yards to windward..would not like to have entangled in that!

AntsUiga
07-02-2020, 01:26 PM
Hi Ants,
Thank you for the question regarding WILDFLOWER's barometer. We use a Speedtech recording electronic barometer that hangs on the main bulkhead. It powers on 4xAAA batteries, which last about 2 years. The unit is about 20 years old, and I doubt is still made. I check it regularly with the nearest airport pressure, and it is ivariably accurate. It also reads temperature and humidity. The Speedtech measures 4″ x 5″ x 3/4″, and weighs 4 oz. It has a pair of switches in the back to select metric or English units; It also has on the face four push-buttons to adjust for altitude and to recall all readings made over the past 24 hours. It once sold for $99. A glance at the display presents a clear picture of pressure trends over the past day. All readings over the past 24 hours are stored, so the display can be turned back an hour at a time to see what has happened.

The only thing bogus about this barometer is it shows a sun, a sun with clouds, or clouds with rain..I've taped over that part of the display as you can see in the below photo.

Before the 2020 SHTP start I checked it's calibration with Oakland Airport.

I have no experience with barometer watches. I could ask Stan Honey if you wish.

Yes, I would be interested in any comments from Stan Honey on barometer watches. I have used a Suunto version for about 30 years. The barometric function measures elevation as well as barometric pressure. How does the watch know if I am moving vertically or the weather is changing. The elevation increment is 20 feet so when I drive past an elevation marker on the road, the watch shows an elevation within 100 feet of the road sign.

The only weird variation was while driving through AZ mountains and thunderstorms. The watch was about 2,000 feet off and took about a day before it settled down.

The weather and barometric device you have looks nice. I think I will look to see if any like it is still made.

Ants

BobJ
07-02-2020, 01:38 PM
I don't know if you're recounting this race from your 2008 log or virtual reality but if the latter, I'll bet that red and white spinnaker belongs to BOMBORA!

Go Rebecca!

sleddog
07-02-2020, 03:28 PM
I don't know if you're recounting this race from your 2008 log or virtual reality but if the latter, I'll bet that red and white spinnaker belongs to BOMBORA!
Go Rebecca!

Don't think the red and white spinny to windward is Express-27 BOMBORA. Rebecca was entered in the canceled 2020 Pac Cup as navigator aboard SURPRISE, the Schumacher 46 and didn't do the SHTP Qualifier...My guess is it's either LOW DOWN, the SC-27; the O-25 SHARK ON BLUE GRASS; Will on SEA WISDOM, or the Westsail 32 HULA. If it's HULA, Bill Stange is sailing exceptionally well, which is quite likely given his experience. Here's HULA with a reddish spinnaker:

Speaking of surprises, I haven't seen you since the start, 5 days ago. How's it going up ahead? Wanna share your position? Weather? Any sign of HEDGEHOG, GREEN BUFFALO, MOUNTAIN, or SIREN?

Though I'm sailing WILDFLOWER in her 2008 configuration using current weather, this account is not from my 2008 Log...

BobJ
07-02-2020, 04:08 PM
Speaking of surprises, I haven't seen you since the start, 5 days ago.

The short answer is that July 15th is the new April 15th. I did squeeze the SHF in last Saturday. But you could check with Jim Q to make sure Surprise! isn't sitting on GB's virtual hip.

sleddog
07-03-2020, 12:32 PM
Day 6 7/03/20 Noon Position 29-28 N x 138-20. 24 hour run 137 miles @235m (249T). Speed average = 5.7 knots knots. Current wind ENE (79 T) @11-12 knots with 3-5' seas. 25%% overcast. Baro=1020 mb.

With the baro dropping, the wind veering, and sunshine now prevailing, we are over the EPAC ridge and entering the tradewinds, which will carry us downwind for the remaining 1215 odd miles to Hanalei.

Last night was the first I've carried the spinny all night. Good conditions to do so, with 12-13 knots of wind, smooth seas, and no squalls. We sailed 10-15 degrees high most of the night on starboard gybe to keep the speed up, over 5.5 knots, rather than get further south by sailing DDW, half a knot slower. The wind is forecast to clock (veer) further east, and any time the true wind direction goes right of 80 T (67 m) I will throw in a gybe to port, not only to get further south, but also because the port gybe would then be slightly favored.

Gybing the spinnaker end-for-end in 12 knots of wind is a piece of soup: ease the pole lift, after guy, and old sheet slightly, put the boat on a DDW course with the AP. Push the AP "-10" red button once to turn 10 degrees to port. Walk forward on the starboard side and disconnect butt end of the pole from the mast. "Make" the butt end fitting with the old port sheet. Simultaneously trip the starboard end of the pole from the old starboard guy and connect it to the mast, walk aft on the starboard side, release the main preventer, gybe the main, press the red AP button once more for a further 10 degree turn to port, trim the chute for the new course, and settle in on the new gybe while also taking up the new preventer. Takes about 2 minutes or less.

When double ending the pole on the foredeck, I wrap my harness tether once around the mast and back to the harness, effectively shortening it to 3'. WILDFLOWER also has 2 windsurfer footstraps screwed to the deck in front of and either side of the mast. Astern, during maneuvers, I tow a temporary 30 foot towline with a loop at its end. This towline is also connected to either the windvane or AP, so if strain comes on it, the self steering system disconnects, strain comes on the tiller, and the boat tacks.

This whole gybing scenario works until the wind gets to 16 knots. At 18 knots TWS we gybe by dropping the spinnaker first, then either rehoist on the new gybe, or set the twins in its place. Gybing a spinnaker singlehanded in 18 knots of wind or greater is an iffy proposition, and gybing under main alone, not much speed is lost on this displacement hull. I always opt for the conservative approach, though some would argue for the double pole technique as GREEN BUFFALO has perfected.

As mentioned earlier, I choose to keep the ship's clock on PDST. This means, as we make our way south and west, the sun rises and sets later each day, ship's time. About 1400 the sun is directly overhead and begins to shade the cockpit and solar panels on the stern pulpit. The shading increases during the afternoon until evening, when the angle of the sun causes it to shine under the foot of the spinnaker and directly into the helms person's eyes.

This morning at 0830 I had a bowl of Tom's Best Granola saturated with Long Life milk. WILDFLOWER has never had refrigeration, nor have we ever carried ice. Between breakfast and lunch I snack on dried fruit and my own "gorp" recipe, a combo of cashews, peanuts, raisins or chocolate chips. Lunchtime, today at ~1400, I threw together an avo, mayo and cheese sandwich with a hard boiled egg and peeled orange. Other sandwich possibilities include tunafish, mayo, and relish; and PB, mayo, and pickle slices.

That takes me to Happy Hour, the hour before sunset, when I snack on treats from the treat locker: anchovy fillets on Triscuits; carrots;, salami slices and Englehofers mustard on Triscuits; wheat thins; dolmas; peanut butter on celery;, jicama slices;, you name it, we have it as a treat possibility. We only carry one 6 pack of beer aboard, for the second half of the race. Though I can't chill any drinks, anything I want cool goes under the floorboards. Sunset drinks might either be a can of Squirt or pre-mixed powdered lemonade. I'm saving the first beer for the half way party, when we cross longitude 141 W, likely tomorrow evening

Jonathan Gutoff
07-03-2020, 03:15 PM
It looks like it's getting hot while running downwind during the day. Do you have any shade? Are you still hand steering occasionally or is the vane/autopilot doing most of the driving?

sleddog
07-03-2020, 05:20 PM
It looks like it's getting hot while running downwind during the day. Do you have any shade? Are you still hand steering occasionally or is the vane/autopilot doing most of the driving?

Hi Jonathan,
WILDFLOWER has now emerged from under cloud cover that frequents the early half of most Transpacs. Direct sun can be energy sapping, especially with its declination passing nearly overhead. On ILLUSION with Stan and Sally, we carried a large (6') Cinzano umbrella that was stepped over the helm. During frequent gybing (Stan likes to gybe on 5 degree shifts, we all had our positions, and Jon Andron, a world class sailor, was detailed to gybe the umbrella side to side.

On WILDFLOWER I have a 5'x7 Sunbrella cockpit awning I set each morning and furl each afternoon. It has two cross slats, sets from the backstay, and can be easily angled to maximize shade over the driver. I consider cockpit shade vital. But most racers would scoff at a sailing awning or Bimini on a raceboat.

After local apparent noon, the sun begins to go behind the spinny or twin jibs, and by mid-afternoon I can roll up the cockpit awning as the cockpit is shaded. The little awning stays rigged, hanging off the backstay, looking like a furled miniature square sail.

I would love to let self steering drive all the time. However, sometimes under spinnaker, it is faster and/or more fun to hand steer. WILDFLOWER won't plane. But sometimes thinks she can. I remember one memorable sunrise squall approaching Kaneohe. The wind went from 20 to 35. I thought there was no way the .75 spinny would last. But it did, during 15 minutes time when we were going faster than the boat ever had in her life. Giddyup, Buttercup!

So yes, I handsteer during the day under spinnaker, max 3-4 hours without a break. Neither the AP nor windvane qualifies as a reliable driver for the spinnaker except in smooth conditions with steady breeze like last night. I used to be able to handsteer 3-4 hours on a dark night. But no more. If there's a full moon, like the one coming up in a few days, night hand steering can be a treat, and I would tend to fly the spinnaker more.

Changing between poled out jib(s) and spinnaker, and then back, can be costly in time and distance, often costing a mile, or even more, when running under main alone while getting things squared away, especially with a net in the foretriangle that will likely have to come down. I don't carry a net or sock on WILDFLOWER, but we did have both on ILLUSION. I enjoy simplicity in the foretriangle and WILDFLOWER has 1 spinny halyard, and 1 jib halyard. There are tracer lines rigged for spares. But rarely need them.

Hope I answered your queries. It's not black and white, and makes fertile subject for discussion both pre-race and under the Tree.

Philpott
07-04-2020, 07:17 AM
Wildflower, Wildflower, this is Dura Mater. Do you read me? I'm in the bay but have learned how to change my masthead antenna from LO to HI. Finally.

Do you see Rainbow in your rear view mirror? He sailed under the Golden Gate with main alone last Wednesday July One, exiting shortly after noon.

You probably hope your competition can't track you on Wildflower, but here is Cliff's tracking site. I think it's okay to share it because he won't expect to catch you.

Although last night at 8 pm he WAS going almost 7 knots. Go, MotherShip!

https://share.garmin.com/CliffordShaw

sleddog
07-04-2020, 10:15 AM
Do you see Rainbow in your rear view mirror? He sailed under the Golden Gate with main alone last Wednesday July One, exiting shortly after noon.
https://share.garmin.com/CliffordShaw*

Thanks, Jackie! Good to hear long time friend Cliff Shaw and mothership RAiNBOW will be meeting up with WILDFLOWER and the 2020 SHTP fleet in Hanalei Bay.

Day 7 7/04/20 Noon posit 28-00 N x 140-43 W 24 hour run 151 miles at 223 M (248 T). Av. speed
6.2 knots. Wind E (093T) @ 12-13 knots with 3-5' seas. 25% overcast. Baro=1021 mb.

Happy July 4th All! We are celebrating today, having crossed our 1/2 way point this morning. It's been all port gybe for the last 24 hours with small seas from dead astern making for a comfortable ride. We have ~ 1075 miles to go, and an encouraging forecast of slowly building trades. We continue under spinny with the AP steering, which gives slightly faster course adjustments in these conditions than the windvane, whose oar is currently retracted for less drag.

We've an interesting weather phenomena in the vicinity: there is a nearly straight line of cloud extending from astern to out of sight ahead. This line or cloud streak I estimate being 2-3 miles wide. Stan Honey has observed, and I concur, that the wind speed increases by 1 or 2 knots at the edge of these cloud streaks due to down drafts from the convective nature of the atmosphere where the air is rising vertically under the cloud. And descending on its edges. The result of this is it is advantageous, if possible, to run along the edge of a cloud streak rather than under it, or away from it....I can see the darker water of the cloud's shadow just to starboard, so we are positioned on its left hand edge, and the wind is 13-14 knots, rather the 11-12 knots we had earlier, a nice little gain for today's holiday.

Someone once asked my father why our family's boats were always named HOLIDAY. His succinct reply, "Nothing goes faster."

here's the Surface Map for Monday morning, 0500, July 6th, 2 days hence. Looking strong!

sleddog
07-05-2020, 10:33 AM
Our halfway 4th of July party yesterday started an hour before full moon rise at sunset. Enjoyed a beer and blue tortilla corn chips with salsa, Then steamed some hot dogs with buns and had them with mustard, onions, and ketchup. To complete the red, white, and blue theme, I also steamed an ear of white corn. For dessert, a bowl of blueberries with milk while whistling Stars and Stripes forever. Corny. But bugliters do stuff like that when singlehanding across an ocean.

Last evening after sunset squalls began to overtake from astern. With the trades currently and uncharacteristically quite easterly in direction (090T) rather than more NE, we continued running on port gybe with the .75 spinny in 14-16 knots of wind at good speed, 6-7 knots the AP steering while I cleaned up.

As it looked like we'd finally be getting some night time squall action, with the full moon light shining from astern, I prepped the twin jibs and doused the spinny. Set the twins during which time, under main alone, I don't think our speed went under 5 knots. Also switched the AP to wind vane steering, and off we sailed into a most lovely evening.

About every 20-30 minutes I would take bearings on incoming squalls and estimate if and when we'd be in their sphere of influence. And yes, we did get 3-4 squalls overhead, spaced about an hour apart during the night. The wind would veer (clock) 10-20 degrees with each squall, and windspeed went to 18-22 knots or a bit more for a few minutes. The windvane was fully capable of steering in these conditions. But I liked to be on deck, foulies on hand, and hand steering when the first puff of a squall would descend on WILDFLOWER.

At dawn this morning the full moon was setting on the bow, and another squall was approaching from astern.
I didn't want to risk being subject to light winds from a squall collapse at sunrise, so temporarily reached up on port to 225 T(212m) for 15 minutes to get out from under this incoming squall. Things worked as hoped, and windspeed never dropped to less than 15 knots with boat speed a little above 7.

Today, end of Day 8, our 7/05/20 Noon Position is 27-07 N x 143-30. 24 hour run was 159 miles @239M (252 T). Speed average = 6.6. Current wind E (90 T) @14-16 knots with 3-5' seas. 25% overcast. Baro=1022 mb.

Here's today's chart with tomorrow's GFS GRIB File winds overlayed:

Philpott
07-05-2020, 11:02 AM
What? A windvane? You must have strengthened your transom before leaving? This surely is not the Navik that threatened to tear off Wildflower's back end last time? Remember when you and Wildflower II were berthed in Berkeley Marina during the summer? Over on O Dock? That was the last time I tried strengthening DM's transom for my windvane. What. A. Mess. I made! Gotta try it again soon, though. Please advise.

sleddog
07-05-2020, 11:49 AM
What? A windvane? You must have strengthened your transom before leaving? This surely is not the Navik that threatened to tear off Wildflower's back end last time? Remember when you and Wildflower II were berthed in Berkeley Marina during the summer? Over on O Dock? That was the last time I tried strengthening DM's transom for my windvane. What. A. Mess. I made! Gotta try it again soon, though. Please advise.

Hi Jackie,
WILDFLOWER had 3 different windvanes during her 33 year lifespan, but never a Navik. The first was a homemade, vertical axis, and doubled as an emergency rudder. The second and third were Sail-O-Mats, horizontal axis. Yes, in the 1978 SHTP, the newly installed Sail-o-Mat did try to remove itself from the transom on Day 3. I strengthened that while curled up inside the back of the boat, only to have the same Sail-O-Mat windvane paddle break off on Day 4, leaving us with just an old Tillermaster AP for the rest of the '78 Race. Little did I know Norton Smith had lost his electric AP in the same '78 SHTP, and alternated hand-steering with sheet-to-tiller steering for the rest of the race on his SC-27 SOLITAIRE.

Our broken Sail-O-Mat was replaced by the factory with a newer model at cost, and that is what is currently being used in this 2020 SHTP when I refer to "windvane." This windvane has 4 outstanding qualities: 1) it is quiet. 2) it consumes no power 3) it is immensely powerful 4) it can alter course to AWA windshifts with no electronics.

The Sail-O-Mat also has some drawbacks: ) it doesn't work well in AWS < 4 knots. 2) It's oar does have some parasitic drag at lower boat speeds, but can be easily be lifted out of the water when not in use. 3) though all aluminum and aluminum casting, it is relatively heavy, 45 pounds of metal sitting on the stern of the boat. 4) it doesn't like spinnakers. But watching a windvane tirelessly steer when it's in its element, usually the tradewinds, is a joy to behold: "I couldn't be doing that" says the skipper.

Though there are apparently newer models, this is the Sail-O-Mat unit we're using from in this 2020 SHTP:

sleddog
07-06-2020, 06:24 AM
Day 9 7/06/20 Noon Posit 26-07 N x 146-33 W 24 hour run 167 miles at 6.9 knots. course made good 243 M / 256 T. Wind 16-18 knots from 84 T, Sky 25% clouds with squalls, Baro 1022 mb. Distance to go 746 miles @244 T

This has been a good day's run under twins. With the wind almost dead aft, I've tucked in the first reef in the main to let the leeward twin have a little more breeze up high as well as neutralizing the helm. We've also got the genoa staysail up, tacked to the port foredeck toerail, gathering in any wind that might be escaping under the twins' feet. Windvane continues steering. Solar panels have been charging and the battery is full. Flying fish abundant. Water temp 77 F.

Air circulation in the cabin is good. There's an opening, self draining port in the transom that allows following winds to cool the aft sleeping area, as well as a Hella fan. There's also an opening hatch in the cockpit floor over the head of the aft bunk. The hatch dodger funnels breeze downward into the main cabin. And the foredeck hatch is kept ajar except at night in squall country.

The cockpit hatch allows me to see the masthead Windex with my head on the bunk pillow, as well as adjust the tillerpilot if necessary.

I sleep in a flannel sleeping sheet, stitched partway up one side to make it tubelike. Pillows are light, and we carry 4. The aft bunk, under the cockpit, can be partitioned by lee cloths for secure sleeping in a seaway. I sleep head aft to facilitate entering and exiting the bunk. There's a couple of handholds directly overhead, as well as a telltale compass. Nearby are 2 external buzzer piezo alarms connected to the AIS and radar. I can wear either or both around my neck when sleeping.

Looking ahead at 96 hour forecasts, it looks like the easterly tradewind flow will slowly increase to 18-20 knots, making for a fast finish run, possibly sometime late Friday. The boat speed is being helped along by a prevailing westerly flowing current of .50-.75 knots. The mantra for the next 5 days is "be smart, keep things together, don't rush, no accidents."

Here's today chart with tomorrow's wind and isobaric pressure forecast. 1.5 feathered arrows means 15 knots average wind, 2 feathered arrows indicates 20 knots. The arrows fly with the wind.

sleddog
07-06-2020, 08:13 PM
Yes, I would be interested in any comments from Stan Honey on barometer watches. I have used a Suunto version for about 30 years. The barometric function measures elevation as well as barometric pressure. How does the watch know if I am moving vertically or the weather is changing. The elevation increment is 20 feet so when I drive past an elevation marker on the road, the watch shows an elevation within 100 feet of the road sign. The only weird variation was while driving through AZ mountains and thunderstorms. The watch was about 2,000 feet off and took about a day before it settled down. Ants

Hi Skip,

We fit a removable radar some time ago following your suggestion. There are photos at http://honeynav.com/category/cal40/

We pull the cable down the mast on a leader and it exits the mast just below deck and joins to the cable in the boat at a junction box near the mast. We leave the cable in the boat when racing, and just remove the scanner and display. It works great. Thanks for the suggestion. One thing we do is to remove the bolt in the track that is just below the scanner and replace it with a longer bolt with a large fender washer. The car sits on the bolt and the fender washer pulls tight against the car and keeps the scanner from rocking back and forth with the plan in the car slides.

I’ve only tried a few watch barometers, and watch hand-bearing compasses, and found that none of them worked well enough to be dependable. Those were Casios. I haven’t tested the Garmin but it seems better than the Casios. I use a conventional Plastimo hand-bearing compass, and use a Mintaka barograph below decks, both of which work perfectly. The Plastimo allows you to do a good eyeball-average when it’s rough. The Mintaka is below deck where you mostly need it and is easy to interface to Expedition or whatever so that you can include its strip chart along with the wind direction and speed which is sometimes interesting.

We’re in Provincetown now, on the tip of Cape Cod, and headed for Portland ME tomorrow.

~Stan

sleddog
07-06-2020, 09:12 PM
Day 10 7/07/20 Noon posit 25-22 N x 149-34 W 24 hour run 169 miles @ 243M (255T) Wind 17-18 knots from 78 T. Seas 4-6 feet from ENE, 25% cloud with squalls, 1022 mb. 577 miles @ 243 M to Hanalei Finish.

sleddog
07-07-2020, 06:21 AM
Tuesday, July 7,2020, from my Log

The trades have backed into their usual direction, ENE. which puts the Finish DDW. On this displacement hull, the twins have come into their own, and we're always on the right gybe, especially during night squalls. I've dropped the main, as it was doing nothing for speed except blanketing the twins

Now the main boom is centered, a big advantage of running with twins is dismissed anxiety of accidental gybe.
A disadvantage of running DDW with twins is the boat rolls a lot. Now I know what the old seafarer's addage "rolling down the trades" really means. But being my 11th day at sea, my stomach has long since adjusted to motion.

Previously I mentioned cloud streaks, and the possibility of slightly increased breeze on their perimeters. Another subtle wind shift occurs in the NE trades, the "afternoon lefty". During most afternoons, the tradewinds will back 5-10 degrees from ENE to NE, a good time for a boat with a spinnaker to be on starboard, the favored gybe

I inventoried my fresh food and everything is under control. Apples wrapped in newspaper, oranges, jicama, cabbage, carrots, cheese, eggs, the second of 2 loaves of bread. Only the last avocado has been consigned to the deep.

Despite regular meals and in between time grazing, I tend to lose .5 pounds/day on a passage like this to which I mainly attribute the isometric exercise of constant bracing on a small boat, as well as up and down the companion way 4 steps dozens of times/day.

AntsUiga
07-07-2020, 11:10 PM
Thanks for Stan Honey's comment on the wrist electronics. It is safe to say those gadgets are not something to rely on for serious endeavors. Your simple thermometer / barometer is a desirable tool. The current versions have enough added features that a household converter is needed or the nuisance of using 5 AA batteries.

The simulated scenario gives wonderful opportunities to ask questions. A majority of the SHTP fleet is competitive.

What sorts of actions are you trying to avoid to maintain that competitiveness?

Ants

sleddog
07-08-2020, 07:33 AM
What sorts of actions are you trying to avoid to maintain that competitiveness?
Ants

Despite best intentions, what happened last night at oh-dark-thirty cost us probably 1-2 miles. I had laid my head down for a nap after scanning for squalls on the moonlit horizon astern. The next thing I know is the boat has gone from level flight to heeling 20 degrees to starboard with significant noises topside.

I jump up and look out the companionway. We are under a clear squall, no rain, but definite wind increase to 25. Despite the windvane's best effort, the windward twin jib has gone aback, slowing us to 2-3 knots. With the jib aback, the aluminum pole has gone aft far enough to bend around the upper shrouds.

I take over steering, slack the windward twin's guy, and get the boat aimed downwind while my eyes adjust to what's happened. Swapping for my spare whisker pole shouldn't be too difficult. But then I see the bent pole's bridle and lift has somehow wrapped around the radar dome, 10 feet up the front of the mast.

It takes 10 minutes to figure how to undo the situation, and another 10 to rig the spare pole. Much of this time is spent hanging on as the rolling has increased. I also have to climb up on the boom and then stand on the lower mast step to get the tangle off the radome.

Finally all settled back to normal. I'd lost 1-2 knots for 30-40 minutes. Fortunately nothing more serious than the bent pole. Every little bit counts, and this was in the negative department that should not have happened. But did.

Day 11 7/08/20 Noon Posit 24-37 N x 152-33 W. 24 hour run: 171 miles at 242 M (253 T) Wind 16-18 knots from 75 T, 4-6 foot seas, 25% cloud, baro 1022 mb.

80 miles ahead off the port bow lies Hawaiian offshore weather buoy YODAS 51000 reporting wind 17.5 knots average, 15.5, gusting 19.4. This buoy is anchored in 15,600 feet of water and swings on a radius of 3 miles. How'd they do that?

Today we are 407 miles from Hanalei. At 7 knts BS, that's about 59 hours, or 8 PM Friday evening finish Hawaiian time.

sleddog
07-09-2020, 11:36 AM
Day 12 7/08/20 Noon Posit 23-37 N x 155-26 W. 24 hour run: 165 miles at 240 M (253 T) Wind 17-20 knots from 81 T, 5-7 foot seas, 25% cloud, 1019 mb
If all goes well, this our last full day at sea. 241 miles to go at noon today. At 7 knots, could take ~ 34.5 hours gives ETA of 10:30 pm PDST/7:30 pm HST, a nice time to finish, sunset with the late afternoon tradewinds in force.

My guess is HEDGEHOG will finish this morning, likely breaking 12 days.

We are already receiving Hawaiian AM radio stations, as well as VHF weather: "Hawaiian Waters, 40-240 miles offshore: Today: winds E-15-20, seas 6-8'; Tonight: through Saturday E-15-25, seas 6-8"

We're currently experiencing tropospheric ducting, giving further than average VHF reception distances, sometimes hundreds of miles.

"HEDGEHOG, HEDGEHOG, WILDFLOWER calling channel 68, over"
"WILDFLOWER, HEDGEHOG, weak copy, we are behind the cliffs."
"Hi David, behind the cliffs means you are anchored at Hanalei, Roger?"
"Roger, we finished early this morning, 7:35 am PDST, 4:35 am Hawaiian."
Good sailing, Cap! Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow evening for a sundowner. WILDFLOWER out"
"HEDGEHOG out."

HEDGEHOG's time for the 2120 mile GC course was 11 days, 19 hours, 25 min. for an average of 7.5 knots. Actual distance was 2250 miles which computes to 7.93 knot average speed.

Here's today's GFS forecast for tomorrow. Looks like a fast sailing angle with AWA of 155. WILDFLOWER's posit at noon today is the red dot in the upper mid-right corner.

A fun ships' crossing this morning about 0800. The Matson container ship MAHIMAHI passed about .5 mile astern enroute Long Beach to Honolulu, where she'll arrive early this evening. I spoke with the mate on watch and he said he'd done 2 LA-Honolulu Transpacs, both on Santa Cruz 50's. Small world.

Philpott
07-09-2020, 01:52 PM
My guess is HEDGEHOG will finish this morning, likely breaking 12 days.

"HEDGEHOG, HEDGEHOG, WILDFLOWER calling channel 68, over"
"WILDFLOWER, HEDGEHOG, weak copy, we are behind the cliffs."
"Hi David, behind the cliffs means you are anchored at Hanalei, Roger?"
"Roger, we finished early this morning, 7:35 am PDST, 4:35 am Hawaiian."
Good sailing, Cap! Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow evening for a sundowner. WILDFLOWER out"
"HEDGEHOG out."

HEDGEHOG's time for the 2120 mile course was 11 days, 19 hours, 25 min. for an average of 7.5 knots.

Well, I'm not surprised. Mr Hedgehog has what he calls "trade secrets". Question du jour: What was Wildflower's PHRF?

Wait! I withdraw that question. Since I have an original copy of the program right here in front of me, I see that

no PHRFs were provided in the program. Although the Race Conditions and Rules read thus: "Measurement: Ratings for this event shall be based on the latest version of the P.H.R.F. handicapping system. Yachts not currently listed will be measured". and "Time Allowance: Adjusted time winner will be computed from the P.H.R.F. Ocean Handicap List"

sleddog
07-10-2020, 11:27 AM
Day 13 1200 Posit 22-37 N x 158-21 W. 24 hour run 172 miles run at 241 degrees. Wind 18-20 knots from 88 T.
25% cloud, 1018 mb. Hanalei Finish is 67 miles ahead. ETA 9:40 pm PDST or 6:40 pm HST.

It was a fast night with wind 18-20 knots on a broad reach on port gybe. Squall formation took the night off.
Though I can see cloud buildup ahead, likely over Mt. Waialele on Kauai, we are still too far away to see dirt.

Captain's Dinner celebrated last evening with carrot, raisin, apple and mayo salad; instant rice and Trader Joes Jaipur Vegetables in a pouch; tapioca pudding with Triple Ginger Snaps, and a beer.

The instant rice and veges are a one pot affair. I heat the pouch of veges in boiling water. Then remove the pouch, lay it aside, and add the rice to the leftover boiling water. When the rice is done, I fluff it, then stir in the veges. Usually I eat directly from the pot. But this celebration called for a real plate and utensils.

sleddog
07-10-2020, 11:29 AM
Day 13 1200 Posit 22-37 N x 158-21 W. 24 hour run 172 miles run at 241 degrees. Wind 18-20 knots from 88 T.
25% cloud, 1018 mb. Hanalei Finish is 67 miles ahead. ETA 9:40 pm PDST or 6:40 pm HST.

It was a fast night with wind 18-20 knots on a broad reach on port gybe. Squall formation took the night off.
Though I can see cloud buildup ahead, likely over Mt. Waialele on Kauai, we are still too far away to see dirt.

Captain's Dinner celebrated last evening with carrot, raisin, apple and mayo salad; instant rice and Trader Joes Jaipur Vegetables in a pouch; tapioca pudding with Triple Ginger Snaps, and a beer.

The instant rice and veges are a one pot affair. I heat the pouch of veges in boiling water. Then remove the pouch, lay it aside, and add the rice to the leftover boiling water. When the rice is done, I fluff it, then stir in the veges. Usually I eat directly from the pot. But this celebration called for a real plate and utensils.

sleddog
07-10-2020, 04:31 PM
Land Ho! Mountains on E and NE side of Kauai coming into view ahead and to port. A nice day, azure seas, and hot sailing angle of 150 AWA with twins, genoa staysail, and full main, averaging 7.3 in 20 knots of wind. I can hear Rob chuckling approvingly when I report a red feather lure now being towed astern.

Happy to hear the RIMPAC naval exercises usually happening in these waters at this time have been scaled back to August 17-31, instead of the usual five weeks of events from late June to early August. All we need is some live weaponry and 25 foreign navies, including Tonga and Sri Lanka, and air support charging around Kauai offshore waters, usurping right-of-way for their drills.

In 1997 in Neiafu, Vavau, Tonga, I invited Captain Mike Moore of USS FREDERICK over for an evening get together. He sailed over in his Laser, which I had noticed moored astern of his anchored ship. We had a fine gam, and I asked him how his maneuvers and "forging ties" were going with the Tonga Navy, which had two 90 foot patrol boats of indeterminate age.

"Well," the Captain said. "Today we were to land an assault team on Kapa Island to ascend the ridge on Mt. Tesina. And the Tongans were to ascend from the other side of the island and meet us on top. But when our boys got up the mountain to the designated ridge, there were no Tongans in sight, nor Tongan Navy vessels below

"What happened to the Tongans?," I asked.

Replied Captain Moore, "we radioed them for an explanation. It seems their crew sighted birds flocking and bait fish across the bay. And decided "going fishing" was more important than getting all sweaty climbing some hill." :)

WILDFLOWER is currently running about 18 hours ahead of her 1978 SHTP time, but 7 hours behind Norton Smith's time of of 13 days, 2 hours, in his SC-27 SOLITAIRE. WF's best day's run in '78 was 175 miles, about a mile more than this year. She was lighter then, with no engine and less of an interior, about 5700# DISP compared to today's 6,100#, about double a Santa Cruz 27.

This has been a fast year. Steady breeze never below 10 knots, and a nearly straight line course possible with fewer gybes than usual.

As Bunny Rigg used to say, "those Hanalei wahines have us by a nylon tow rope!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^^/)^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At 9 pm PDST/6pm HST we are 5.5 miles from Puupehu Point finish, making 6 knots in 12 knots of breeze. The wind began to drop an hour ago, as it usually does about this time each evening within 5 miles of the North Shore of Kauai. An hour ago I dropped the twins and reset the spinny, port pole on the headstay. I can see wind all the way into Kalihiwai Bay, about 3 miles abeam. Things are about to get busy..Sleddog on WILDFLOWER signing off from the 2020 Singlehanded Transpac. Aloha!

sleddog
07-10-2020, 09:53 PM

WILDFLOWER' finish:. 13 days, 9 hours, 52 min., 31 seconds. Thanks to Ruth Petroka, Synthia's mom, for the memorable painting that hangs here at CBC.

And thanks to norcalsailing.com for the photo below. Good times!

MAGICdreamer
07-11-2020, 07:26 AM
Congratulations, friend, for a race well-sailed! And thanks for all of your help over the years, Sensei.

C&V&C

patience
07-11-2020, 07:56 AM
Congratulation sleddog! Thanks again for going through the exercise and sharing your experience. I "sailed" my own race and learned a lot going through the exercise. I'm currently at 26-57 N x 151-26 W, and am hoping to get in on the 15th. Not having a better plan, I sailed rhumb line and I've suffered quite a bit with lighter winds. On days 5-13 where you had on average about 16 knots of wind, I had 12-13. I think even in a heavy boat like mine, I would have benefited from going further south. I also realized I need to spend a lot more time (really) sailing my boat downwind in lighter conditions and working on my set-up!

Tim

AntsUiga
07-11-2020, 11:37 AM
Thanks for taking the time to simulate the race!

Despite plenty of coastal passages, I have never completed an offshore voyage. Well, now I can say the armchair version is done. Hmmn - I never got wet, cold or seasick, but I think the experience feels great.

Excellent job! I hope other aspiring bug lighters take advantage of the opportunity to learn.

Ants

WBChristie
07-11-2020, 11:29 PM
Nice job with the sailing and narrating. Thanks for doing this

jamottep
07-19-2020, 03:52 PM
Yes, I would be interested in any comments from Stan Honey on barometer watches. I have used a Suunto version for about 30 years. The barometric function measures elevation as well as barometric pressure. How does the watch know if I am moving vertically or the weather is changing. The elevation increment is 20 feet so when I drive past an elevation marker on the road, the watch shows an elevation within 100 feet of the road sign.

The only weird variation was while driving through AZ mountains and thunderstorms. The watch was about 2,000 feet off and took about a day before it settled down.

The weather and barometric device you have looks nice. I think I will look to see if any like it is still made.

Ants

I did see the answer on barometer watch. Some phones have barometer sensors. The Pixel for example uses this:
https://www.bosch-sensortec.com/products/environmental-sensors/pressure-sensors/pressure-sensors-bmp280-1.html

Specs sheet shows good accuracy.

hijan1
07-23-2020, 02:25 PM
Maybe a rough ride back? Would prudent sailors already be out of the way? Cheers Jan

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/23/weather/hurricane-douglas-forecast-hawaii-rapid-intensification/index.html

Philpott
07-26-2020, 11:11 AM
Cliff Shaw s/v Rainbow [aka the Hanalei Bay MotherShip] had initially planned to sail directly to French Polynesia. Then he decided to go via Hawaii. He is using the InReach, and here he is this morning:

Clifford Shaw (via inReach)
4:58 AM (6 hours ago)
to me

Rainbow safely hove-to 200 miles North of Hawaii awaiting demise of hurricane Douglas. All is well. Cliff

View the location or send a reply to Clifford Shaw:
https://explore.garmin.com/textmessage/txtmsg?extId=568eb6f8-f505-4cec-94c7-945c6d9abf31&adr=jacqueline.philpott%40gmail.com

Clifford Shaw sent this message from: Lat 25.289701 Lon -158.529625

kapiib
07-26-2020, 11:50 AM
Thanks for posting Jackie - we were hoping to find out his status.