PDA

View Full Version : Autohelm 2000 not working

Wylieguy
12-27-2008, 04:11 PM
My old Autohelm 2000 (separate control head/ram) isn't working. I sent it off to WM'S, but they said "replacement parts no longer available." Any ideas about a possible repair? I like this unit because it has a wind vane. It steered my Newport 30 very nicely, so I think it should do even better on a Wyliecat 30 that weighs half as much.
Pat Broderick "NANCY" Wyliecat 30 #28890

brianb
12-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Hello Pat,

What are the symptoms ?

I have one also that failed recently and repaired it myself.

Brian

Wylieguy
12-29-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm not sure to be honest. It's been sitting in the garage for a few years since I sailed a Santana 22 in the meantime and a 1000+ steering that boat very nicely. The WM tech just wrote, "electrical failure of. Motor problem. Parts are no longer available." I don't have a 12 volt electrical hook up to check it out at the moment - the dry plug socket's on my old Newport somewhere. I think I'll remove the pug-in and try hooking it up with bare wires. Any further ideas? Thanks, Pat

brianb
12-31-2008, 11:01 PM
Well it sounds like the motor failed or the power transistors that drive the motor. THe later are easy to find. The motor could be a bit tougher, but likely out there.

It would be easy to test the motor just opening up the case and disconnecting and applying 12 v to motor....if it spins it isn't the motor............

Good likely hood it can be repaired. I have to work on mine, if you want yours looked at let me know.

Brian

skatzman
01-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Brian B has been most helpful to me. See me thread about autohelm 4000. At present I have pulled all the components off my boat and have set them up on a test bench at home using a 12v battery for power. Brians advice that the problem was in moisture affecting the circuits in the control unit seems to be correct. After opening the control unit and allowing gentle dry heat for 24 hours the unit is functioning correctly.

Wylieguy
01-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Bryon,
I'm not an electronic guy, but I have the ram apart and will put 12 volts into the motor to see if it turns. If it's the motor I guess I need to search for a replacement. There doesn't appear to be any corrosion or other crud in the motor compartment area. Nice grease. If it's transistors I'm afraid it's too much for me. Are you enough of an electronic tech to work on it? If so, how can we arrange for that to happen? Thanks for your help. Pat Broderick

brianb
01-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Yes I can handle the transistor replacement, if that is what is wrong. When you get yours to me I will rebuild yours and mine. If it is something else, like the microprocessor controller it may not be repairable.

It isn't uncommon to fry the power transistors that drive the motor. One of my ST2000' s suffered that fate and needs re work.

I have a boat at Richmond YC. We could get together there, leave unit there, or meet in the Bay area somewhere. I live in Los Gatos and work in Fremont, if your anywhere in that commute zone it should be easy to meet.

Brian

Wylieguy
01-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Brian, I removed the motor and checked it with 12v. Now I suspect it's the motor. Sometimes it spins, sometimes it doesn't unless I give it a twist. Dead spot on the armature? Dirty brush? It's a Maxon DC Motor 2332.962. It also has 11.116.005 printed on it, but this may be a manufacture date/batch #? I found the Maxon motor website, but haven't found the motor. Pat Broderick, "NANCY" Wyliecat 30.

Wylieguy
01-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Brian, I removed the motor and checked it with 12v. Now I suspect it's the motor. Sometimes it spins, sometimes it doesn't unless I give it a twist. Dead spot on the armature? Dirty brush? It's a Maxon DC Motor 2332.962. It also has 11.116.005 printed on it, but this may be a manufacture date/batch #? I found the Maxon motor website, but haven't found the motor. Pat Broderick, "NANCY" Wyliecat 30.

brianb
01-12-2009, 09:23 PM

>> Sounds like the motor....Those motors look like so many small motors. Good luck on finding one that fits. Sounds like you will have it operational.

Brian