PDA

View Full Version : Three Bridge Fiasco 2021

Boulouf
01-02-2021, 09:48 AM
Pardon my inability,

Can't find yet a link for the Fiasco's registrations...
I own a screen and a laptop but sometimes my misoneism takes over.
Thanks for the responses.
It would be my first, I am and will be more than grateful if you had any pointers.
(I am also ready to sign up for the next many years to feel like what it is to achieve a Fiasco.).

Happy New Winds to you all!

Submarino
01-02-2021, 01:33 PM
Hi,
The race registration is not open yet, but as soon as it is, announcements will be made on the main website, facebook, forums and via jibeset for past season racers (2019 & 2020).

Looking forward to seeing you out there. It is often the first race for many and was my first in 2004. I finished in the dark at 19:00:30 and wondered why I did not get a horn. I will let the members here chime in with advice.

Joe Balderrama
Express 27 "Archimedes"
SSS Commodore

Boulouf
01-06-2021, 01:28 PM
And yes thank you the registration is on:
https://www.jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T009335991
I just have to know if I do Double or solo ...
Part of the recent sf bay sss has a question about a solo start from the Berkeley circle. Is that acted?

bobwalden
01-07-2021, 11:25 AM
Just heard three bridge will be SH only...true?

solosailor
01-07-2021, 12:18 PM
I know the RegattaPro midwinters were cancelled (postpones) since the permit required same household only..... no social bubble with masks anymore and strict Race Committee requirements.

bobwalden
01-07-2021, 12:42 PM
There’s a few of us sailor couples out here. We could do a couples division? Same household only?

solosailor
01-07-2021, 12:49 PM
And some race with their children, roommates, etc.

AlanH
01-08-2021, 11:26 AM
I understand that the Coast Guard or county health authorities may have mandated "singlehanded only". I get that. I just spent over $200 on clothing so I could be safe sailing doublehanded on a Hobie 20, so if that's true I'm going to be ~rather frustrated~.

Not that I can't use the stuff in other ways, but I would have purchased very different gear, later, if the 3BF was going to be solo, only.

If this decision is true, think about it. 340 total boats last year +/-. Roughly 300 were doublehanded. That's 600 sailors waiting on this decision. I'm sure you're aware of this, but a post or two on the forum about it will go a long way towards easing upset, anger, and frustration.

bobwalden
01-08-2021, 11:30 AM
I understand that the Coast Guard or county health authorities may have mandated "singlehanded only". I get that. I just spent over $200 on clothing so I could be safe sailing doublehanded on a Hobie 20, so if that's true I'm going to be ~rather frustrated~.

Not that I can't use the stuff in other ways, but I would have purchased very different gear, later, if the 3BF was going to be solo, only.

From the YRA perspective (Laura has been through this with the CG many times), they want singe households on boats. they don't care if its 1 or 10 if they all share the same domicile and can prove it. the more people on the boat, the more likely they'll check.

Perhaps they've said something else to SSS but that's what they've told YRA.

bw

AlanH
01-08-2021, 11:56 AM
The 3BF goes through four different Counties: San Francisco, Marin, Contra Costa and Alameda. So it could be health officials from one or more of those counties that is the issue.

I wonder if I can return the wetsuit shorty I bought so I could sail in the winter on a Hobie 20. I can use the paddling jacket as a backup foul weather top and a rowing top, and the rash guard is just a pricey, stretchy screaming orange t-shirt. So those are usable. The blisteringly ugly open water swimming, neoprene cap is....blisteringly ugly, but it was only $20 so no biggie. But that 3 mm. shorty was a bit of cash.

Ah, well. Patience, Alan.

Submarino
01-08-2021, 12:10 PM
LATEST NEWS
1/08/2021
3 Bridge Fiasco Update
After discussing and considering the current Covid-19 situation & compliance with the Regional Stay-At-Home Order, the SSS board has decided to change the upcoming Three Bridge Fiasco race to Singlehanded-ONLY and will not have a Doublehanded division.

The decision was reached by taking into consideration the risks for the needed additional race committee personnel as well as issues with having boats race with mixed households onboard.

Additionally, there will be a limitation of 125 entries.

As we look forward to running our traditional, well attended Singlehanded and Doublehanded remaining races in 2021, no definitive decision can be made regarding DH entries in future races. That will be evaluated based on the state of COVID restriction in place at that time.

We expect registration to open within the next couple of days. It will be announced here, across the SSS platforms and on Jibeset.

Thank you for your patience!

Meanwhile, to help prepare you for your first Singlehanded race, reach out to the SSS forum members or check the Resources link for “Thoughts, Tips, Techniques and Tactics for Singlehanded Sailing,” by Andrew Evans.

Joe Balderrama
SSS Commodore

solosailor
01-08-2021, 01:05 PM
Hobie 20A Hobie 20 can get a PHRF and race with the SSS? Don't recall seeing beach cats out there racing before.

AlanH
01-08-2021, 01:52 PM
A Hobie 20 can get a PHRF and race with the SSS? Don't recall seeing beach cats out there racing before.

I was assuming that George McKay could get a mphrf cert and we'd race in a division with other multis. He seemed confident that was possible. Me? I know nothing.

Bombora
01-08-2021, 10:25 PM
I think the SSS has made a wise, though difficult decision. Let’s not forget that there are much more important things happening in the world than our little sailboat races. But if you can, get out and race! I’m looking forward to my first singlehanded three bridge.

AlanH
01-09-2021, 12:43 PM
Count me in for a Race Committee shift...AM... I can bring a table, chairs and a pop-up tent if the GGYC is not available. I also have a portable gasoline generator.

solosailor
01-10-2021, 10:22 AM
If power is needed I have a rolling Pelican case with a 12V, 100Ah lithium pack, 120V inverter, etc.

brianb
01-10-2021, 11:00 AM
"I wonder if I can return the wetsuit shorty I bought so I could sail in the winter on a Hobie 20."

I sure wouldn't take back a used wet suit.

everydaysailor
01-10-2021, 09:26 PM
Registration is open.124 spots left.

talonf4u
01-10-2021, 10:24 PM
123!

Submarino
01-10-2021, 11:14 PM
Thanks everyone for your patience!

As Everydaysailor says, jibeset is now open.

https://www.jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T009335991

JB

Black Jack
01-11-2021, 10:52 AM
In at #50 now 53/125. Good news to raise winter bay spirits. Thank you all in advance for your commitment, dedication and difficult coordination to help pull this event off.

solosailor
01-11-2021, 02:04 PM
85 @ 1pm and growing.

BobJ
01-11-2021, 07:35 PM
3BF will sell out in less than 24 hours - only five more spots as of 1830.

Brian was last seen in a trench coat outside the gate at RYC. "Hey sonny, wanna buy an autopilot?"

Lightspeed
01-11-2021, 07:46 PM
Brian was last seen in a trench coat outside the gate at RYC. "Hey sonny, wanna buy an autopilot?"

“like”

Eyrie
01-11-2021, 08:48 PM
3BF will sell out in less than 24 hours - only five more spots as of 1830.

SOLD OUT
Will there be a waiting list......?

BobJ
01-11-2021, 09:17 PM
I'll bet Ray is scrambling to write the code for Jibeset as we type...

bobwalden
01-12-2021, 10:08 AM
...and we have 5 boats for the cal 39/40 fleet. ��

talonf4u
01-12-2021, 10:09 AM
I understand why we're limiting, and it'll seem like a super brilliant call if it's windy. And I'm competing and not doing RC so I have no room to talk...but this does seem like an opportunity to host the largest SH regatta the US has ever seen.

solosailor
01-12-2021, 10:44 AM
It already is, no? The largest Singlehanded prior would have been a Vallejo-1 (upwards of 90 in the past) and then the Farallones (upwards of 60+).

Submarino
01-12-2021, 12:27 PM
It already is, no? The largest Singlehanded prior would have been a Vallejo-1 (upwards of 90 in the past) and then the Farallones (upwards of 60+).

Thank You All for your 125 Three Bridge Fiasco registrations. We reached the hard-stop maximum entry within the first 24 hrs. Board will discuss, the IF and HOW on a potential waitlist.

JB, SSS Commodore

Submarino
01-14-2021, 04:42 PM
Lottery for 3 Bridge Fiasco Waitlist 1/14/21 15:30

Message from Jibeset:

A 3 Bridge Fiasco waitlist will created using a lottery.
Email your “request to be placed on the waitlist.” In the body, include your:
-full name
-boat name
-sail number
-telephone contact number

Send directly to commodore@sfbaysss.org thru end of day, Monday, Jan. 18th.

25 names will be randomly drawn and listed in sequential order indicating first name drawn get the first opening, second name drawn gets the second opening, etc. This will be the Waitlist.
All 25 boat names and initials will be listed on SSS Race Deck forum.

As soon as we have a cancellation, the top of the list person will be offered the spot. We will notify you by email and phone and hold that spot for 24 hrs, then move down to the list.
Thank you.