PDA

View Full Version : Shtp 2021

AlanH
01-23-2021, 10:50 AM
I don't want to be a nag...and I know everybody is busy with 3BF...

But the main SSS website still says "SHTP 2020" and the associated web page has "2020" all over it. Even this forum subgroup still says "2020 Singlehanded Trans Pacific Yacht Race". The 2020 event was cancelled almost 9 months ago, now. In theory, the 2021 race is now five months away.

The NOR on Jibeset says 2021...that's good. But it also says that "registration is closed".

I've now had my third message from people as SA asking about whether there's a 2021 race or not, and wanting to know what is going on. Two told me that they are potential entrants for 2021. We all know that "saying you're a potential entrant" in a msg doesn't mean a darned thing, and that it's happened on SA all the more so, but still....

Maybe after the 3BF, can we bring things up to date?

oregonian
01-23-2021, 12:29 PM
Thanks for your post AllanH. There are a number of people waiting for an update.

BobJ
03-04-2021, 12:20 AM
There's something else in play here as we approach the March 15th go-no-go decision: There are only six boats registered. That's not a "race" worth doing. Last year's ten boats was not a race worth doing.

If you're planning to race please let the rest of us skippers know. If you don't want it to cost you $150, register with the "pay later" option in Jibeset. But register. I'm holding off on the remaining SER projects, waiting to see if we have a fleet. That entry list is my primary motivation to move forward and I know I'm not alone in that.

What say you, lurkers?

Update: One little poke of the bear increased the long-standing six entries to fifteen! With eight days until decision-day, do I hear 17? 17 going once, 17 going twice... Robb Walker, are you out there?

AlanH
03-04-2021, 04:37 AM
There's something else in play here as we approach the March 15th go-no-go decision: There are only six boats registered. That's not a "race" worth doing. Last year's ten boats was not a race worth doing.

If you're planning to race please let the rest of us skippers know. If you don't want it to cost you $150, register with the "pay later" option in Jibeset. But register. I'm holding off on the remaining SER projects, waiting to see if we have a fleet. That entry list is my primary motivation to move forward and I know I'm not alone in that.

What say you, lurkers?

i registered. I haven't uploaded all the documents but I've registered.

And now I'm going to just say what's been boiling inside for about six months. I'm going to say what I've heard from at least half a dozen people including a handful of SHTP veterans.

COULD WE GET SOMETHING

SOMETHING... SOMETHING--- UP TO DATE ON THE SSS WEBSITE BESIDES A LINK THAT SAYS SHTP 2020, THAT LEADS TO A COMPLETELY EMPTY 2020 WEBSITE??

SOMETHING?

THE RACE IS THREE AND A HALF MONTHS AWAY AND THERE IS NOTHING, WHATSOEVER ON THE SSS WEBSITE ABOUT THE 2021 EVENT!

This forum subsection even has the wrong name!

I'm sorry to be an asshole about this, but it's RIDICULOUS. There is zilch. Nothing. NO information AT ALL on the SSS Website about the 2021 Singlehanded TransPac race. The Link on the website goes to the 2020 event, which was cancelled A YEAR AGO. I've heard from people on Sailing Anarchy, wondering what's going on. MY PASTOR AT CHURCH has asked me what's going on. (he's a sailor). The manager at the boatyard I just scheduled a haulout at, who is an SHTP Veteran has asked me and wonders WTF is going on. I don't want to be a dickhead, I'm sorry to make this obnoxious post but if we don't tell people that there's a race, how the fuck are they supposed to know about it? How the hell are they supposed to know how to sign up?

THE BOARD barely reads the forum, and we expect potential entrants to comb through the forum to find out if the race is happening or not? How is someone from out of town supposed to know to go to Jibeset?

PLEASE

Whoever the SSS Webmaster is....PLEASE get SOMETHING current up on the SSS Website!

brianb
03-04-2021, 11:54 AM
i registered. I haven't uploaded all the documents but I've registered.

And now I'm going to just say what's been boiling inside for about six months. I'm going to say what I've heard from at least half a dozen people including a handful of SHTP veterans.

COULD WE GET SOMETHING

SOMETHING... SOMETHING--- UP TO DATE ON THE SSS WEBSITE BESIDES A LINK THAT SAYS SHTP 2020, THAT LEADS TO A COMPLETELY EMPTY 2020 WEBSITE??

SOMETHING?

THE RACE IS THREE AND A HALF MONTHS AWAY AND THERE IS NOTHING, WHATSOEVER ON THE SSS WEBSITE ABOUT THE 2021 EVENT!

This forum subsection even has the wrong name!

I'm sorry to be an asshole about this, but it's RIDICULOUS. There is zilch. Nothing. NO information AT ALL on the SSS Website about the 2021 Singlehanded TransPac race. The Link on the website goes to the 2020 event, which was cancelled A YEAR AGO. I've heard from people on Sailing Anarchy, wondering what's going on. MY PASTOR AT CHURCH has asked me what's going on. (he's a sailor). The manager at the boatyard I just scheduled a haulout at, who is an SHTP Veteran has asked me and wonders WTF is going on. I don't want to be a dickhead, I'm sorry to make this obnoxious post but if we don't tell people that there's a race, how the fuck are they supposed to know about it? How the hell are they supposed to know how to sign up?

THE BOARD barely reads the forum, and we expect potential entrants to comb through the forum to find out if the race is happening or not? How is someone from out of town supposed to know to go to Jibeset?

PLEASE

Whoever the SSS Webmaster is....PLEASE get SOMETHING current up on the SSS Website!

Hello ALan.

Sure - you want to take it on ? You are an IT pro, correct ? It is a wordpress site. I have the credentials in an email that I got last week.

LEt me know,

Brian

BobJ
03-04-2021, 12:13 PM
"This forum subsection even has the wrong name!"

I've tried to get this simple update done. AFAIK, Rob Macfarlane is the sole remaining forum administrator. He is apparently unwilling to share the necessary credentials, nor even simply change "2020" to "2021." Rob hasn't done an SSS race in ten years and the last I heard, he was living on his boat in Oxnard. I asked Joe, in his role as Commodore, to engage with Rob and get the forum administration transitioned to one or two individuals who are active in the club. That hasn't happened. Rob, you read this forum - what's the problem?

All this is very frustrating. I just signed up for the Pacific Cup double-handed. It cost me $400 to register. They seemed happy to have my entry and are enthusiastic about their race. Jim Quanci is the Commodore of the PCYC this cycle. There are already about 30 double-handers registered for the race in 2022, including several boats who often race in the SSS. So I'll see more SSS friends at the Kaneohe YC than I would have seen in Hanalei Bay. And that's just wrong.

AlanH
03-04-2021, 12:16 PM
Hello ALan.

Sure - you want to take it on ? You are an IT pro, correct ? It is a wordpress site. I have the credentials in an email that I got last week.

LEt me know,

Brian

We don't need an entire WordPress website yet. There may not be a race. The WordPress site comes later. What we have needed for six months is so simple...it's SO SIMPLE. Just change the Goddamned SSS Splash Page to say SHTP 2021 instead of SHTP 2020. Make it a link to a simple informative HTML page about the race status. This is just not that hard. SOMEONE has the credentials to edit the SSS website, because somehow the 2021 racing calendar got up there.

WHO IS THE SSS WEBMASTER?

1. I tried to make a significant contribution to this event already, and because Board members don't read the forum aside from their own posts....on a forum which has been in place for over a decade.... that contribution got "scheduled over" by something else with NO COMMUNICATION WHATSOEVER TO ME about the conflict. Joe called me after the fact, which is something. But both you and Joe KNEW ABOUT THE DATE FOR WEEKS and yet it still happened. Am I frustrated? Gee. Ya think?

2. HOWEVER. I will happily put up a simple HTML page stating that there is hopefully a race and that we're in a holding pattern until March 15th. It will encourage participants to register on jibeset and inform them that they can register without paying the nonrefundable $150 fee. I will give them the Jibeset URL. I will happily edit the SSS Splash page to point to a SHTP 2021 link instead of the year-old cancelled 2020 Wordpress site. Give me the credentials and I'll do it.

What I will not do is set up an entire WordPress site and maintain it until the race, and during the race. But a simple HTML information page with links to jibeset? Sure.

We don't need an entire WordPress website yet. What we need, and have needed for six months is for the link on the main SSS website to say STHP 2021 and point to SOMETHING with some information. Give me the credentials, and I'll do it. It's months too late, but sure, I'll spend an hour and make an HTML page and change the SSS splash page.

AGAIN...we don't need a whole WordPress site, yet. What we need is SO SIMPLE. It's not even your job, Brian! IT'S NOT BRIANS JOB!!!! IT'S THE WEBMASTERS JOB. It's the webmasters job! WEbmasters job. WEBMASTERS JOB!

1. Change the link on the main SSS splash page to say SHTP 2021 , link to to....
2. put up a simple HTML page that states what the current situation is and encourages potential entrants to register on jibeset.

===================================

AlanH
03-04-2021, 12:47 PM
I understand that COVID has made planning the race a nightmare. I get it. I totally understand. I appreciate the work that's been done. I know it doesn't sound like I do right now, Brian, but I do.

Frustration has skyrocketed in the past couple of months NOT because of COVID.....I understand that and so does everybody else. My own frustration level has skyrocketed because of the inaccuracies on the website and that this Board, apparently just like the last one...REFUSES to use the forum to communicate with members. You guys post your own info-bits and REFUSE to read anything else. There are discussions about the SH/DH issue. Apparently nobody on the Board reads them. I announce a SHTP emergency rudder Zoom seminar and gathered presenters and put updates on the forum. But apparently nobody on the Board paid any attention, for WEEKS.

IT'S NOT THAT HARD TO KEEP UP ON THE FORUM.

I put this fucking thing in place a decade ago as a tool for communication. I happily ran it for four years before I turned it over to the next person. It's here. People read it, even if they don't post.

USE IT! READ IT!

If you don't want to use it, then take it down. Seriously, more damage is done by having the forum in place and having the Board ignore it, than any benefit that is accrued. We have a Facebook page. Does the Board want to use the Facebook page and Jibeset instead? FINE, that's totally fine..... then announce that in Screaming Huge Text up top and close the forum.

BobJ
03-04-2021, 01:03 PM
I know you're wound up Alan, but some of us really enjoy talking to each other here.

Volunteerism is challenging. In my observation, the singlehanders who are the nucleus of the club are more committed than most, so the club has been able to run with a small group of volunteers relative to its 200-member size - currently 202 according to Jibeset. (https://jibeset.net/memberlist00.php) This year the new board made the conscious decision to limit its size to five members, after having grown to seven. Being by nature control freaks, singlehanders aren't good at asking for help, or delegating. So in this day-and-age, it's a recipe for problems.

That and eight bucks might buy you a cuppa.

AlanH
03-04-2021, 02:12 PM
Here's an information page, simple HTML that the SHTP 2021 link on the SSS splash page can point to for the next couple of weeks.

EDIT: URL removed and page taken down.

Yes, I'm a little wound up. In fact I'm so angry and upset that I need to take some time away from here for my own peace of mind.

I'll check in with y'all after the 15th, and will drop in and look at the Facebook page, now and then. See you on the water for the 'Round the Rocks.

My apologies to Carol for editing her poster without her permission. I hope that page isn't up for long, but if it needs to be, or needs to be edited to say "Cancelled"....just let me know via e-mail or by a FB message.

tiger beetle
03-04-2021, 09:13 PM
I've tried to get this simple update done. AFAIK, Rob Macfarlane is the sole remaining forum administrator. He is apparently unwilling to share the necessary credentials, nor even simply change "2020" to "2021." Rob hasn't done an SSS race in ten years and the last I heard, he was living on his boat in Oxnard. I asked Joe, in his role as Commodore, to engage with Rob and get the forum administration transitioned to one or two individuals who are active in the club. That hasn't happened. Rob, you read this forum - what's the problem?

Hi Bob -

In 2018 I offered to help Carlianne with the website, she accepted - she sent to me all the known credentials for the web host, web server, the web site, and the forum. I performed a backup of everything at that time, made a couple of changes at her request. She mentioned the idea of her son taking on managing the site and I received no further communication on the matter.

As part of reviewing the forum software in 2019 I told Don Martin (SSS Commodore at the time) that the Forum was out of date, insecure, would need to be ported to currently-supported software, and that I did not have the bandwidth to take that on. Nothing was done that I am aware of as regards pursuing an upgrade or port. At least I got the SSL certificates working correctly on the forum site.

In 2020, prior to the end of year meeting, Joe Balderrama telephoned me and we spoke for two hours about ideas for the club going forward. He asked if I would be interested in being a sound board should any questions come up at the Board and I said yes. He and I talked briefly just before that meeting, and I have had no communications with Joe since then.

I'm sorry that you would characterize that as "unwilling to share the necessary credentials"; no one has asked me for them and I was unaware anyone needed them. Greg Ashby is the current webmaster, I expected that he was maintaining everything - certainly Joe never mentioned any issues to me. If Greg doesn't have the login information for the sites then I can review what I have (which is now 2-1/2 years old) and see if any of that information remains valid.

As regards racing with the SSS, I have not raced with the SSS since 2013 that I can think of - that's when I retired to go cruising. Since then I have sail to Mexico, Canada, back to Mexico, out to French Polynesia, spent a winter in Hawaii, back to Pacific Northwest, down the coast to San Francisco and now in Southern California. When was in San Francisco on my trips through, I served on RC a couple of times, was the SSS start boat, worked on the web site a bit, and happened to be in Hanalei on Beetle when the 2018 SSS TransPac finished there. I'm not certain how any of that information is relevant to frustrations with the SSS web site. It does strike me that your statement about not racing with the SSS for 10 years is factually inaccurate and a bit of "attacking my character"; that is not helpful and in effect suggests that I have no relevance to the club; perhaps that is true, perhaps I'm not relevant to the club - but I don't see it that way. And I whole-heartedly agree, the SSS website is in a woeful state of disrepair, the value of the site as an information-distribution channel has been lost, and there's lots of work that could be done there to make the website vibrant, useful, and relevant.

My current situation is something of a bummer in that I was wrapping up final preparations to roll out to the South Pacific April 2020 - which is precisely when the island nations across the Pacific started to close their borders due to the Covid virus. I elected not to return to French Polynesia as it looked iffy from a cruising perspective (turns out lockdowns on boats did happen there, for months - no boat movement, no swimming, no going ashore except for food once a week, just stay on your boat). I'm glad I elected to remain in Southern California - at least I speak the language, have my car for transport, have access to medical facilities if needed, and I am hoping to receive a vaccine sooner than later.

In the meantime I am trying to enjoy Southern California, have been scuba diving the islands, continue to maintain Beetle, and am hopeful that come November Mexico might be open and safe to cruise. If we're lucky by next spring (another year from now - egad!) countries will have re-opened their borders and I can sail again for the South Pacific and visit places beyond French Polynesia. Currently I am in Arizona helping out my parents at their place.

If you have constructive suggestions or questions that I can help with, please let me know.

- rob/beetle

Rainbow
03-04-2021, 10:20 PM

What say you, lurkers?

Update: One little poke of the bear increased the long-standing six entries to eight. Do I hear ten? Ten going once, ten going twice...

14 now with Rainbow.

brianb
03-04-2021, 10:34 PM
Hi Bob -

I'm sorry that you would characterize that as "unwilling to share the necessary credentials"; no one has asked me for them and I was unaware anyone needed them. Greg Ashby is the current webmaster, I expected that he was maintaining everything - certainly Joe never mentioned any issues to me. If Greg doesn't have the login information for the sites then I can review what I have (which is now 2-1/2 years old) and see if any of that information remains valid.

- rob/beetle

Rob, we have the credentials - per your providing them. I got them from Joe last week and started updating the site today. Wordpress is always fun to fiddle with and is taken a good part of today to get the poster photo edited, and the site pointing at the entry list. Work will continue. As new entrants join, and there are at least three I know of waiting in the wings, they will appear on the SHTP-2021 page. THanks for the help.

Bob no poke of the bear had any impact , but you have gone off wandering in your own beliefs, can't help that. I had this site open making alterations prior to any poke. BTW I have an email address you are welcome to use if you want to poke. Stating concerns on a confused disorganized forum that takes time to meander through is not something I regularly engage in. It is fun to post the occasional picture here however.

Brian

BobJ
03-04-2021, 11:31 PM
More got done today than we've seen in weeks. Maybe it's a coincidence but we'll take it.

Now can somebody make "2020" say "2021" on this sub-forum's header and on the SSS website?

Update: Great! Check it out! (https://www.sfbaysss.org/main/shtp-2021/)

AlanH
03-05-2021, 10:31 AM
I assume that the little information page that I made is no longer needed, so I will take it down.

I am still bemused as to why it took so long for such a simple, but vitally important change to the SSS splash page to get done.... BUT....let it go. Thank you, Brian for making the edits, and thanks to everybody for getting things moving along so that the rest of the world knows that we are still planning on going, contingent on the County of Kau'ai, Hawaii and COVID.

Thanks to Bob for making the call here on the forum to everybody to please register, and then for everyone for going to jibeset ( I assume) and filling in the necessary forms.

AlanH
03-05-2021, 10:54 AM
There's a secondary lesson here, which I HOPE people pay attention to. After the complete obnoxious shitfit that I threw yesterday, and Bob calling for people to register, seven more people who almost never (not "never" but almost never) post on the forum, went to jibeset and registered. In other words, PEOPLE READ THE FORUM, even if observers don't see much response to an individual thread.

Mountain
03-19-2021, 07:57 AM
Looking to reach out to my pacific nw SHTP 2021 racer colleagues. I would PM directly but they’ve not posted on this forum. Email or phone number list perhaps? Can the administrator help?
Thanks. - Mountain

tiger beetle
03-19-2021, 08:01 AM
Looking to reach out to my pacific nw SHTP 2021 racer colleagues. I would PM directly but they’ve not posted on this forum. Email or phone number list perhaps? Can the administrator help?
Thanks. - Mountain

Send a note over to Brian Boschma, he's the SSS 2021 TransPac chair:
transpac@sfbaysss.org

he's also on the forum as brianb:
https://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/member.php?11-brianb

- rob/beetle

Philpott
03-19-2021, 09:19 AM
Looking to reach out to my pacific nw SHTP 2021 racer colleagues. I would PM directly but they’ve not posted on this forum. Email or phone number list perhaps? Can the administrator help? Thanks. - Mountain

Hi, Reed
Not everyone gave me permission to add their emails to the list, so I was holding off until they did. Privacy and all that. But time, it is tick tocking away, so check your email - I've included every registered racer as of today's date.

Mountain
03-20-2021, 11:25 PM
Thanks! All set.

Mountain
03-24-2021, 01:57 PM
Is there a 7:30 zoom skippers meeting this eve ?

DaveH
03-24-2021, 03:30 PM
I believe there is a 1930 skippers meeting for this weekends Round the Rocks race, but not for the SHTP.
DH

Mountain
03-24-2021, 05:27 PM
Thanks!

Mountain
04-28-2021, 09:59 AM
My apologies if this is a silly question but does the race committee provide the position tracker? Paragraph 15.2 (roll call) of the SIs are a bit unclear on this.
If not, then what is the preferred tracker people are using? I’ve used yellow brick in the past and have had no problems. Thanks!

DaveH
04-28-2021, 06:35 PM
Hi Mountain,
not to speak for the RC, but...

I think where you want to look is in the com plan, but I don't see that posted yet.
I also agree that 15.2 as posted is at best ambiguous. It may be a missed edit?
Regardless, I do know that the plan is for a BYOT event as it was in 2018.

Re which is the best tracker:
The SHTP required an Iridium based solution in 2018 (which Yellow Brick is)
I'd be surprised if that were not be the case in 2021.

UI and features of the tracking device are kind of a personal preference thing, since its BYO.
As long as it can send a position and time stamped SMS message over Iridium you should be good.

disclaimer - all of that is unofficial. hopefully the RC will publish a com plan shortly.

DH

Daydreamer
05-02-2021, 10:17 PM
Right now the InReach and IridiumGo are preferred choices.
These are proven to work with Jibeset, who provides tracking page.
Check with Brian on the YB.

pogen
06-19-2021, 06:09 PM
Best wishes and fair winds to all racers, this year pushing through in the face of (hopefully) once-in-a-lifetime difficulties.